• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The who should we sign in January thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We-ve dropped from over 50 % to 40% after van Dijk got injured.

1_untitled.jpg

How is Tarkowski in the air? He might make a good Matip replacement I suppose. Seriously doubt that Burnley would consider selling him in January though.

Milenkovic is one to watch certainly. He's stalling on a new contract, and Fiorentina have indicated they'll sell if he doesn't commit.

You bring it up always, but I don't think you're correct about his height.

He said it himself. There's video footage of him saying it. He says he was a centre back in the premier league for all these years and he was under 6 foot. Plus I've met him. He's not 6 foot.

Unless Phillips and Rhys Williams suddenly go into freefall (or we suffer another long term injury to Matip/Gomez) I highly doubt we'll be after any CB in January. We'll not be able to get next Summer's target early and bringing in an experienced CB / cheap backup is stil a risk - they may not even perform as well as Phillips and Rhys Williams - it's a gamble either way. We'll save out cash for our main target.

I’ve not been keen on Tarkowski, but the few times I’ve watched Burnely this season he’s looked more comfortable on the ball.
There is no doubt he’s a very good defender.
Not sure how he would fit in with being left with defending a lot of one on ones. Burnley are a well drilled defensive unit that have a pretty low line.

Chances of that are really low though. January is a difficult market for a CB given that it's a key position. Doubt many teams, especially in the Premier League, would sell a first choice CB mid-season unless we offered them a king's ransom.

The likelihood is we look for someone who is on an expiring contract; or someone at a club which is desperate for cash. Alternatively, we'll go for an older short-term option.

I know the chances are low but I wouldn't be surprised if we do it. A lot of clubs are going to be desperate for cash with close to 6 months of no gate receipts. They may not be willing to compromise on price but might be willing to compromise on the payment structure. Jota was not on anyone's wish list in the summer. In fact, if we had started a poll which Wolves player we would like to purchase, I am sure most of us (including myself) would have gone for Traore, Nevez, and then maybe Jiminez,Dendoncker. There could be some other player like that flying under the radar, maybe Lewis Dunk?, who could be a very good fit for the style of play, have clauses in his contract, with the club agreeing to favorable payment terms or willing to exchange for Origi, Wilson for partial payment.

Purely as a defender, Dunk is a v.good player - not much gets past him. I wonder whether he would fit into our preference for playing out from the back though.

I’ve not been keen on Tarkowski, but the few times I’ve watched Burnely this season he’s looked more comfortable on the ball.
Not sure how he would fit in with being left with defending a lot of one on ones. Burnley are a well drilled defensive unit that have a pretty low line.
Today's article:

https://www.lancs.live/sport/footba...tarkowski-transfer-burnley-leicester-19261280
[article]James Tarkowski has revealed that he has been offered, and rejected, a new Burnley contact and that he doesn't envisage signing a deal any time soon.

The Clarets centre back was the subject of interest from West Ham and Leicester City in the transfer window with both clubs making offers but, as Lancs Live exclusively revealed, he ended the summer a Burnley player.

The player was open to moving in a bid to further his international ambitions having slipped down the pecking order with England in recent years.

And he has now given an interview to the Daily Telegraph in which he seems to make clear that his long-term future is away from Turf Moor.

The 27-year-old, whose current deal expires in 2022, revealed that he had rejected two contract offers from the club and said the last window was a missed opportunity for him.

But he insisted he would continue to give his best for the club, adding he didn't want to damage his relationship with the Burnley fans, even if he understands why some might turn against him.

"Burnley is a really close club and I like to think I’ve always had a tight relationship with the fans," he said in the interview with The Telegraph, which can be read here.

"And I wouldn’t want that to change because I have such a lot of respect for them. I hope they also appreciate that I’ll always do my best for the club, but also that I will want to do the best for myself.

“If there are fans who are upset with me for not wanting to sign a new contract, then it’s their opinion and I understand they want the best for Burnley first and foremost. Just because I won’t sign a new contract, doesn’t mean it takes away from the commitment I have to my current contract.

“I’m not bitter about the last transfer window, what happened happened. I will never hold it against the club. That’s up to them, but the longer this goes on the more control I get of my own career which is what I want.

"I want to be able to decide where I am, where I’m going and who I’m playing for. That’s nothing against Burnley, but this is a short career and I’m not getting younger. I’m coming into my late 20s now and I want to experience as much as I can in the game before I retire.

“The last window is obviously a missed opportunity for me. If clubs can’t get the player they want then they will go elsewhere and sign someone else, but I don’t worry too much about it because I’ve got great belief in myself.”

Tarkowski missed the opening few games of the season with a toe injury while the speculation continued about his future but the centre back has returned to the fold and helped the Clarets to two clean sheets in their last four games.

Burnley are in the Premier League relegation zone as the top flight pauses for the international break after a poor start to the season.

Meanwhile, Leicester, who have tried to sign the former Brentford man in each of the last two summers, sit top of the table.

Tarkowski added: “We’ve had two transfer windows now where the club have decided, for whatever reason, that whatever has been offered on the table hasn’t been enough and that’s fine because I signed a contract for four-and-a-half years.

"So I won’t whinge or not turn up, I just need to deal with it and get on with my football.

“But the longer my contract runs down, I feel I gain the control of my career more than Burnley having the control of it, which is what I feel like I need right now.

“There is nothing I have heard or has been put to me that makes me think there is a scenario in which I would sign a new contract at Burnley. That can change, but currently that is the situation.”[/article]

Who is that Pongracic fella on the graphic above? Get him!

Edit - Wiki says : Marin Pongračić is a Croatian footballer who plays as a defender for Bundesliga club VfL Wolfsburg. Pongračić is principally a central defender but can also play at right-back or as a defensive midfielder

Get him, get him!

Who is that Pongracic fella on the graphic above? Get him!

Edit - Wiki says : Marin Pongračić is a Croatian footballer who plays as a defender for Bundesliga club VfL Wolfsburg. Pongračić is principally a central defender but can also play at right-back or as a defensive midfielder

Get him, get him!
He's named Van Dijk as his idol..

It's in the stars

Any infographics or charts involving potential targets need injury stats, I want our next man to be carved out of stone with an adamantium skeleton

Umtiti is on a firesale list at Barca, and at 26 he could be a good signing for a very low fee.
He was outstanding in his first season at Barca.

[article]Liverpool have been offered Daryl Janmaat as short-term defensive cover and are considering bringing him on board, TEAMtalk understands.

The Netherlands international left Championship club Watford in October, following their relegation from the Premier League.

The 31-year-old, who normally plays as a right-back, can also play centrally and offers attractive options for Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp.

The Reds are in dire need of defensive cover, with Joe Gomez awaiting the results of a knee injury sustained on England duty.

Trent Alexander-Arnold is also on the sidelines with a calf injury, and Janmaat can cover both positions.

Janmaat has also been given a glowing reference by Gini Wijnaldum. The Reds star not only plays with him for Holland but was also his teammate at Newcastle.

This is not the first time the Reds have been linked with the Dutchman. Indeed, former Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers wanted to bring him to Anfield back in 2015.

We understand that any deal for the player will be a short-term one. That’s because he is more of a stop-gap measure.

Janmaat is fully fit after overcoming a knee injury, and wants a deal until the end of the season. But he would be happy with the chance to prove his quality short term.
[/article]

Too old for the price he would command.
We should buy someone who is 22-24 approx.

Same age as VVD...
Here the problem I have. If we lose Matip and Gomez is injuried for a long period how have we got that can take charge at the back and know what they are doing and have that presence in the back line...

Koulibaly totally fits the bill, yes he will cost, but that's why I stated that we will have to bit the bullet.

If buying Koulibaly wins us the title then that alone is worth the money. CL would be a bonus

If we signed Tarkowski and we had all CB's fit then he would be my 4th choice...........VVD, Matip, Gomez all ahead of him. He's a decent player but really nothing special. Put it this way...............he's a Harry Maguire clone but NOT quite as good as Maguire!

With or without Tarkowski Burnley's defence was fairly porous until the switched their captain, Ben Mee, from left back to centre back 2 seasons ago. Since then their defence has improved significantly. To prove Mee's value; Burnley conceded 12 goals in their first 6 games (Mee was out injured) but got their first clean sheet in Mee's first game back last week.

Unfortunately Mee is not an option for us as; he has 18 months still on his contract, is 31, and is also picking up a few injuries.

Torino’s Gleison Bremer is a new name to me. Scored 5 goals in 35 appearances for Torino last season

https://www.rousingthekop.com/static/uploads/4/2020/10/GettyImages-1227835537.jpg
https://www.rousingthekop.com/2020/10/24/gleison-bremer-liverpool/
[article]1) Bremer is currently in his third season with Torino having started his professional career with Atletico Mineiro in his native Brazil after spending time on loan at Sao Paulo as a youngster.

2) The towering centre-back made 26 first-team appearances for his boyhood club before completing a move to Europe with Italian club Torino back in the summer of 2018 who cost the Serie A outfit cost €5.8 million/£5.3 million.

3) The 23-year-old featured on just five occasions during his inaugural campaign in Serie A but did establish himself as a key component at the back last season. Bremer clocked up 27 league appearances during the 2019/20 campaign, scoring thrice and registering an assist, as Torino finished 16th in the standings and narrowly avoided relegation.

4) According to reports in Italy, Bremer was monitored by Everton in the previous summer window. Fulham also maintain an interest in the player.

5) He currently has three years remaining on his contract at the Olympic Grande Torino Stadium.

Bremer is under contract at Torino until 2023 and so the Italian club are under no pressure to sell.

SportItalia, via Football Italia note that Torino paid just over £5 million to secure the Brazilian’s services over two years ago so if Liverpool would likely have to play more than double that figure if they were to pursue a move.

Given Liverpool’s maintained transfer policy since Jurgen Klopp joined in 2015 has been to sign players aged 26 or younger, unless given great reason to do otherwise – as was the case with Thiago Alcantara, that’s the first criteria in the search.

The pool of leagues Liverpool usually look to recruit from usually feature from Europe’s top five domestic leagues and teams that feature either in the Champions League or Europa League

Bremer is definitely a defence-first centre-back as opposed to someone who thrives in possession and his qualities on the ball may not be quite the standard that Liverpool usually uphold meaning it would take time before he is able to hold down a regular spot in the team.

However, defensively, he is more than capable and his statistical output is very encouraging. Last season he averaged he 2.3 tackles per game (PG) as well as 2.7 interceptions and 4.1 clearances.

This would imply that he is a great reader of the game and is particularly aggressive in his approach to step-up and intercept the ball. His tackling ability is also among the best in Europe according to WhoScored.[/article]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom