• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The who should we sign in January thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may as well have said the same thing about Trent when he started at RB. It was a gamble, and it was a bit iffy at times, but he progressed very rapidly because he had rhythm and focus. As the Irish joke goes, 'I wouldn't have started here,' but as we ARE here, we need to think: what's the biggest weakness, a midfield without Hendo and/or Fab, or an inexperienced but promising CB? I'd say the former.

And as for saying we're not winning anything because of the state of our central defence, look at the facts: we're not scoring goals in recent games. That's the biggest problem. Our defensive record is not bad at all. But our midfield has lost its effectiveness and we've stopped shooting, let alone scoring. THAT is the bigger worry.

Klopp made it pretty clear in the presser at lunchtime that the problem was the financial situation rather than any great obsession with continuing as we are. He said, if it was a normal situation for the club and they had these CB injury problems, 'yes, definitely,' he'd move for reinforcements.

The clamour for Liverpool to strengthen in the January window continues to grow.
Defensive injuries have left them without a recognised senior centre-back at a time when their Premier League title hopes have been hit by a concerning dip in form. Midfielders Fabinho and Jordan Henderson are being utilised as makeshift defenders.
However, there’s no sign of incoming reinforcements, with senior Anfield sources adamant that there are unlikely to be any new additions to Jurgen Klopp’s squad this month.
With Premier League and Champions League glory on the line over the coming months, it would be a gamble for Liverpool not to bolster their back line given the season-wrecking knee injuries suffered by Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez. Joel Matip, who is currently sidelined by a groin problem, has also had a succession of fitness issues. Rookies Nathaniel Phillips and Rhys Williams have performed admirably when called upon but the step-up in class is considerable.
Why haven’t Liverpool dipped into the market and what’s going on behind the scenes?
Fenway Sports Group president Mike Gordon, sporting director Michael Edwards and Klopp, the three key figures when it comes to transfer dealings, have proved adept at blocking out the noise from outside the club in recent years.
They pride themselves on sticking to a clear strategy and long-term planning. They don’t entertain quick fixes. If they can’t get what they want, they sit tight until they can.
When Liverpool’s initial move for Van Dijk collapsed in the summer of 2017 after they were accused by Southampton of making an illegal approach, Klopp ignored the deafening calls to pursue a Plan B. He stuck to his guns and got his man six months later.
Similarly, when Philippe Coutinho was sold to Barcelona, Liverpool decided not to replace him mid-season. In his absence, they exceeded expectations in reaching the Champions League final and then reinvested £65 million of that fee in signing Alisson from Roma the following summer. Both calls were proved to be overwhelmingly correct.
Klopp says the prospect of pursuing a stop-gap defensive signing in January to get Liverpool through until the end of the season “makes no sense”.

The Premier League champions have come a long way since the January window five years ago when they brought in Steven Caulker on loan from Queen’s Park Rangers to ease an injury crisis. The bar has been raised considerably and Klopp would rather hand opportunities to a teenager with rich potential like Williams than bring in an experienced but limited defender who doesn’t fit Liverpool’s style.
Liverpool’s current inactivity in the market doesn’t mean that Gordon, Edwards and Klopp are blind to the area of weakness in the squad.
It was a calculated risk not to replace Dejan Lovren last summer when he was sold to Zenit Saint Petersburg. With money tight, they opted to prioritise the signings of Kostas Tsimikas, Thiago Alcantara and Diogo Jota in the knowledge that Fabinho could fill in if required at centre-back.
No-one could have predicted the devastating loss of both Van Dijk and Gomez but this wasn’t a situation suddenly thrust upon Liverpool. Van Dijk’s ACL was damaged by Jordan Pickford’s reckless challenge at Goodison on October 17. Gomez was hurt while training with England on November 11. They have had time to formulate a plan and discuss possible solutions.
In recent months, senior recruitment staff Barry Hunter and Dave Fallows, armed with the array of data and analytics provided by the club’s director of research Ian Graham and his team, have been assessing the merits of dozens of centre-backs from across Europe.
The list initially drawn up has been gradually whittled down based on three key factors — ability, availability and affordability. Inside the AXA Training Centre, they talk about “non-negotiables” in terms of what a Liverpool player must look like physically, technically and in terms of character and personality.
The Athletic understands that contact was made in November with intermediaries representing Schalke’s Ozan Kabak. However, after those initial discussions, it went no further. Liverpool opted not to pursue a deal for the Turkish defender, who is valued by Schalke at around €25 million. Sources close to Kabak now expect him to go elsewhere. AC Milan were also interested but deemed the price tag to be excessive.
Availability in January is certainly an issue. RB Leipzig’s Dayot Upamecano is widely admired but with the clubs set to meet in the last 16 of the Champions League next month, there is little prospect of the Bundesliga outfit agreeing to sell one of their prized assets in the winter window.
Similarly, with Brighton locked in a relegation battle, they are determined to keep hold of Ben White, who impressed Liverpool during his season-long loan at Leeds United.
Anfield officials were baffled by reports suggesting they were in talks with Lille to sign defender Sven Botman. The suspicion was that Liverpool’s name was being used to drive up the price for the young Dutchman.
It was a similar story with Nicolas Pepe in 2019 when Liverpool were so annoyed by persistent speculation claiming they were on the brink of signing him that Edwards personally contacted Lille to make it clear they had no interest in buying him. Pepe subsequently joined Arsenal for £72 million.
“There’s zero interest in Botman. He’s not even under consideration for the summer window,” one senior club source tells The Athletic.
Finding someone of the required calibre who is available at a reasonable price in January to enhance Liverpool’s challenge for silverware has proved problematic. There would be a premium to be paid and finance is another important factor.
The impact of the global pandemic continues to cut deep. The cost to Liverpool in terms of the dip in revenues is understood to be in excess of £100 million and still rising in the absence of match-day income.
When they bought Thiago and Jota in mid-September, the key to getting both deals done was the selling clubs’ willingness to accept only a small chunk of the fee up front.
“This is a very difficult transfer window, as you can imagine. Not a lot of the clubs have real money,” Klopp recently admitted.
Of course, there’s an argument that rather than asking “can they afford to do something?”, the more pertinent question is “can they afford not to?”.
Getting past Leipzig in the last 16 of the Champions League is worth €10.5 million alone. Winning a quarter-final tie would bank another €12 million. Every Premier League place is worth £2 million. That’s before you factor in the obvious commercial benefits of lifting more silverware.
Liverpool hope to have Matip back fit for the crunch clash with Manchester United at Anfield on January 17 but for how long? He has missed four of the club’s nine league games since Gomez has been out. Matip has only completed 90 minutes six times in all competitions this season.
On the face of it, the absence of Van Dijk and Gomez hasn’t made Liverpool more vulnerable defensively. They have only conceded eight goals in a dozen league matches without Van Dijk. The issues with dropped points have been further forward, with Liverpool lacking creativity and a clinical edge in the final third.
Fabinho and Henderson have proved they can perform admirably at centre-back but the knock-on effect of playing them there is that Liverpool miss their presence in midfield

During Klopp’s early days at Anfield, he declared that he “preferred training to transfers” and it appears increasingly likely that he will have to come up with answers to Liverpool’s problems internally rather than through an injection of new talent.
Unless an opportunity suddenly presents itself over the coming weeks, Liverpool won’t be buying another centre-back until the summer. By then, availability will be better and there will be more clarity on finances and the expected return of matchday income.
“Short-term fixes aren’t what this club is about anymore,” the source adds.
“It’s not how we arrived where we are. It makes sense to sign a centre-back we want for three to four years, not four or five months. And they are not available without being financially irresponsible in this window.”
Adrian was parachuted in and that 3rd rate striker turn defender we had for 3 months. What are the contingencies if Matip gets injured? The club is strapped for cash, we played Jota so we can win an extra 2.7m euros only to have him injured and make only 900k euros. The club should may be look at the loaning in a couple of players?

I understand why Klopp doesn't want to play Rhys (or Williams) because when we have done previously the midfield (Hendo mainly) drops really deep to help him through the game.

Maybe I'm way off but it's feels to me that there isn't the level of trust there to just drop him in at the deep end and see how he does.

This guy was playing what...non league football not so long ago? Maybe there is some hidden talent waiting to be unlocked by getting his chance - I suppose it won't be the first time it's happened - but it doesn't look likely based on all the evidence.

We need to buy - as we have done for the last few transfer windows.

Why doesn't it look likely? I think Rhys has looked very accomplished for a 19 year old CB. Not sure why the entire forum is suddenly behaving like he's some B-grade prospect.

I understand why Klopp doesn't want to play Rhys (or Williams) because when we have done previously the midfield (Hendo mainly) drops really deep to help him through the game.

But isn't that part of the problem? When he comes in for the odd game, that's what the midfield will do. It's less likely to do that if he gets a run of games. And he really shouldn't need that kind of help these days - it becomes counter-productive for one thing, and for another thing he's played some big games now, including some in Europe, and also for England under-21s. He's a very calm sort of bloke, he's quick to learn and he's supposed to be a reason we're not signing another CB, so surely it's up to him and the coaching staff to push on now.

I disagree.

He's inexperienced and it's not about just not "makng clangers". Right now, would you have any confidence in him defending Robert Lewandowski for 90mins?

That's the level we are aiming at.

Against Spurs, he made 3 minor errors, which could have led to 3 goals. It only led to one.
Against WBA, he made 1 error, which could have led to a goal.

At the top level, it's about the finer details. Right now, he doesn't have that. God bless him, he's done well on the whole, but he's not ready yet to be playing regular first team football.

As far as I'm concerned, if we don't buy anyone this month, that's the owner saying "Top 4 is acceptable this year lads". Because we're not winning anything with the current state of our central defence (and relying on Joel Matip's fitness).

He's not playing Lewandowski so that is a bizarre comment.

Was our defence free of errors before the injury crisis? Theoretically every minor error made by anyone on the pitch could lead to a goal.

The point here is - if we aren't signing another CB, let's pick one and play them consistently. Or do you think that changing the CB partnership every game is the key to success here?

Yep. Williams is only three weeks away from being 20. Phil Thompson was already a regular in the team at Williams' age. So it's not quite as premature as it seems. We just have to work with what we've got.

Very much agree. If we lose a couple of games but we emerge stronger in the long run because then he settles in, I think that's the risk we have to take if we don't buy anyone.

I would believe that Klopp will now know the risk of using Henderson at CB alongside Fabinho and that this particular test is over.

I hope so, because taking henderson out of the centre of the park and not replacing him with either Milner or Jones, but instead using the 15 - 20 minute wonder the Ox was a massive mistake which contributed to the success of Southampton

Adrian was parachuted in and that 3rd rate striker turn defender we had for 3 months. What are the contingencies if Matip gets injured? The club is strapped for cash, we played Jota so we can win an extra 2.7m euros only to have him injured and make only 900k euros. The club should may be look at the loaning in a couple of players?

Totally agree with you. We should not concider ourselves too big to bring in players on load. Italain clubs do it all the time

Oof, Jota was red hot prior to his injury, here's hoping he continues where he left off, cause we sure need a decent forward right now....
Scrap that , he's still in a knee brace , he won't be back in 4 weeks let alone 2

I think if you're going to use a young player at CB, then you have to bite the bullet and keep using him. If Williams is the main reason we don't get another CB this month, then just play him and keep playing him, don't continue with this in-out strategy. Tell him he's got a run of games and use him.

This is actually what I want to see - and not his thing with Jordan Henderson in the back line one game and back in midfield in another game. I want to see this because the kids will learn from one game to the next but also if you are not going to get a defender then use the defenders you have - I actually see no point in keeping them around if your not going to use them in times like we are in now. I actually think it is acceptable we lose with one of those kids in the back rather than one of Klopp's so called fixes. Also how much have we actually suffered in midfield while Fab has been playing at the back ? - we won't know for sure but I bet you - had we had him in midfield in some of those games we drew - then those draws may not have happened.

We really should have started using Williams regularly before Christmas - then at least we could have assessed if he was going to be reliable enough to warrant not being active in the January market. I didn't say that at the time so I can't really complain now, but we've got little choice now but to push him on.

Budget £5m, salary no more than £40k, under 30, willing to take a 2 year contract, must gel with the current squad, and be decent in the air. You have to also prove they're better than Phillips and Williams, now name the defenders?
Thats not my job, and its their fuckup for not persisting with what we have, coz they dont know

He's not playing Lewandowski so that is a bizarre comment.

Was our defence free of errors before the injury crisis? Theoretically every minor error made by anyone on the pitch could lead to a goal.

The point here is - if we aren't signing another CB, let's pick one and play them consistently. Or do you think that changing the CB partnership every game is the key to success here?
Eh? Hardly bizarre. Lewandsowski is the best CF in the world, and that's the level of CB we need if we're to make a run at winning the CL.

As for the theory.. sure, anyone can make an error, but i've seen . But that's like saying Allison could make errors, so we should have given Karius more of a chance. I'm looking at the amount of errors he's making per game I've seen him play and we've been quite fortunate not to concede more goals. You seem to be wilfully ignoring that.

But yeah, ok, I agree on the point that if we are not going to sign anyone (basically telling everyone that 2nd place is acceptable), then we might as well play him over Henderson back there because, well that's 1 less player we are playing in not their strongest position.

Thats not my job, and its their fuckup for not persisting with what we have, coz they dont know
My point is you basically annotated to buy a defender, and its an easy job. I agree we need defender but its not an easy job and there is so much to consider. I wouldn't want a defender who is worse than Williams and Phillips, and when you so little cash its more of a gamble. David Luiz will be cheap, would you want him?

You may as well have said the same thing about Trent when he started at RB. It was a gamble, and it was a bit iffy at times, but he progressed very rapidly because he had rhythm and focus. As the Irish joke goes, 'I wouldn't have started here,' but as we ARE here, we need to think: what's the biggest weakness, a midfield without Hendo and/or Fab, or an inexperienced but promising CB? I'd say the former.

And as for saying we're not winning anything because of the state of our central defence, look at the facts: we're not scoring goals in recent games. That's the biggest problem. Our defensive record is not bad at all. But our midfield has lost its effectiveness and we've stopped shooting, let alone scoring. THAT is the bigger worry.

Sure, but we didn't win anything in Trent's first couple of seasons either whilst he was making all those mistakes.

I go agree though. If we don't sign anyone, then i'd prefer Rhys over Nate Phillips in CB, and certainly over Hendo at the back.

In regards to not scoring goals, I think it's obvious that whilst we've seen inconsistency in the midfield with chopping and changing, it hasn't helped that both Jota/Shaq have been injured (or mismanaged in Jota's case). Thus we haven't had that "breath of fresh air" off the bench, against Newcastle, WBA or Southampton when we needed to liven up the front 3. Jurgen carries that can for playing him against Midtyyland in a nothing game.

I know he is rarely fit but Naby adds so much to our game with his ability to burst into the box carrying the ball at his feet. But he is clearly unable to withstand the rigours of this league, so he should make way. Having a like for like replacement is the way to go though.

I know he is rarely fit but Naby adds so much to our game with his ability to burst into the box carrying the ball at his feet. But he is clearly unable to withstand the rigours of this league, so he should make way. Having a like for like replacement is the way to go though.

What is it that makes this league that it makes it so hard for him ? - he (Naby) goes down injured with no one around him, and he rarely gets tackled himself. On his day he is very good, but if he is breaking down due to the running - then that is seriously on our recruitment team in giving a contract to a player who is not fit to play X number of games in a row. This is another Lallana type, bit of effort in one game and they are fucked for the next 5.

In regards to not scoring goals, I think it's obvious that whilst we've seen inconsistency in the midfield with chopping and changing, it hasn't helped that both Jota/Shaq have been injured (or mismanaged in Jota's case). Thus we haven't had that "breath of fresh air" off the bench, against Newcastle, WBA or Southampton when we needed to liven up the front 3. Jurgen carries that can for playing him against Midtyyland in a nothing game.

Shaq is certainly not going to be the answer to our lack of goal threat, he got 1 goal last season

Shaq is certainly not going to be the answer to our lack of goal threat, he got 1 goal last season
He played a total of 180mins in the league. Hardly surprising. The year before is a better judge of him, where he produced goals/assists in some of our biggest games (United home, Barca home).

I am beginning to think that, maybe, just possibly, there is a faint chance that Keita's injury record may mean he is not meant for LFC. But I wont jump to hasty conclusions, at this stage it is just the first stirrings of a far fetched suspicion, I need more evidence before I make any real call on this

I am beginning to think that, maybe, just possibly, there is a faint chance that Keita's injury record may mean he is not meant for LFC. But I wont jump to hasty conclusions, at this stage it is just the first stirrings of a far fetched suspicion, I need more evidence before I make any real call on this

Have you got any evidence of this supposed "injury record"?

What is it that makes this league that it makes it so hard for him ? - he (Naby) goes down injured with no one around him, and he rarely gets tackled himself. On his day he is very good, but if he is breaking down due to the running - then that is seriously on our recruitment team in giving a contract to a player who is not fit to play X number of games in a row. This is another Lallana type, bit of effort in one game and they are fucked for the next 5.
Should have signed Nabil Fekir :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom