• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The who should we sign in January thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@moron I understand there are reasons for concern but really. We are fucking CHAMPIONS AND TOP OF THE FUCKING LEAGUE. Klopps a genius. Grow some will ya?

Been here before mate, remember the CL Final we lost ? - we sold Coutinho that year, and never really got a replacement for him, and by the time we got to the final we hardly had any midfielders to use or a genuine forward to use when Salah went off. I get that Klopp is a genius but genius sometimes comes with arrogance - without knowing in some cases. Our belief that we can get through this season with Fab + Matip / kid defender is another one of those situations where we cannot wait for the right player. I am actually starting to believe that maybe the owners and Klopp think - that based on our previous three seasons of getting to two CL finals and two seasons of challenging for the title that maybe this year we can take it a bit easier and only getting a CL place is sufficient.

Yes we are top of the league, but right now it seems like for the second half we will have to play like the first half of last season - which was almost flawless - and I cannot see that happening. I hope I am really really wrong, but just cannot see it. VVD is the main reason why we have been so consistent in the last two seasons, so in reality getting these 6 draws this season should not be a surprise because it is what the old Liverpool use to do against the lesser sides. We need a presence at the back to have any hope.

I can’t believe it’s Jan 4th and we haven’t signed 15 Centre Backs, 2 Right Backs, 3 Left Backs, 6 Reserve Keepers and 8.5 forwards to instantly replace Bobbi if he doesn’t score 4 by half time.

We’ll be relegated by Easter.

Heh. I had hoped we would pull an early Virgil-type signing.

The fact we haven't means we're likely going to bank on getting Matip back in a few weeks.

I guess we'll be hoping Williams/Phillips (both v slow) can handle Rashford/Martial when we play them in a few weeks.

Klopp.

Quote:
[xtable=border:0|cellpadding:6|cellspacing:0|100%x@]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}We have solutions in the squad obviously but we struggled still with injuries. For most of the time with centre-half position, it can happen like this - when it starts, it does not stop.

“We have solutions with the squad but if we can do something in the window, I don’t know. It is like that.

“It is a very difficult transfer window, as you can imagine. Not all of the clubs have real money. Just doing something makes no sense. Doing the right thing makes sense. So far, we have really liked what we have done.”{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

I can’t believe it’s Jan 4th and we haven’t signed 15 Centre Backs, 2 Right Backs, 3 Left Backs, 6 Reserve Keepers and 8.5 forwards to instantly replace Bobbi if he doesn’t score 4 by half time.

We’ll be relegated by Easter.

We just want one Centre Back, everything else is fine.

Tell me more. Do you want an expensive top centre back who'll become VVD's permanent partner? Or a young player who's a bit more experienced than Williams who'll replace Williams, or might not prove better than Williams? Or an older CB who'll just come for a season or two and will be mainly back up? Or what? I'm not trying to wind you up, I just think there needs to be much more clarity of ambition about this, otherwise it's just a game without responsibilities.

Now I have given this some thought, I'd like someone who can genuinely compete with Gomez, to bring out the best of him.
Perhaps this CB can replace him, and even replace VVD in 4 years time when he is getting on.
Someone with top level experience, huge talent, but still fairly young (22-24 y.o.).

Now I have given this some thought, I'd like someone who can genuinely compete with Gomez, to bring out the best of him.
Perhaps this CB can replace him, and even replace VVD in 4 years time when he is getting on.
Someone with top level experience, huge talent, but still fairly young (22-24 y.o.).

Sounds a bargain!

Tell me more. Do you want an expensive top centre back who'll become VVD's permanent partner? Or a young player who's a bit more experienced than Williams who'll replace Williams, or might not prove better than Williams? Or an older CB who'll just come for a season or two and will be mainly back up? Or what? I'm not trying to wind you up, I just think there needs to be much more clarity of ambition about this, otherwise it's just a game without responsibilities.

In Ideal world - someone who has experience and we could get on the cheap, but with an organisational mentality and good positioning sense to support Fab, but we aint' gonna get that, so I am more than happy with the idea of that Botman fella who seems to be the real deal, and if you are angling with the idea - what happens if Gomez comes back - well all I can say is that Gomez has proven to be almost as injury prone as Matip in his early career and I suspect that this will continue. Even taking last season into account the only fit and healthy CB we have had was VVD. So if this guy replaces Gomez long-term - I really don't care. I would love to think that the youngsters could fill the gap but I just know they won't against teams that will come at us.

FYI - I hate spending money on central defenders ,they are the most un-sexy part of any team, but to win titles you need a stable organised defence which you already know.

The CB situation is a really tricky one so I can understand why Klopp and co might be treading carefully.

We have VVD who is world class (and we have to hope he comes back as good as new from injury though that's not necessarily guaranteed) and then another two who are great in their own right when fit and on form. The fact that they both have different skill sets is another bonus, e.g. Matip is excellent on the ball whilst Gomez has that raw pace that enables us to play a really high line if we want to.

It's not going to be an easy job to find someone who can slot in and be as good as those two off the bat... particularly for a reasonable price. I guess that's where a lot of the hesitation comes from and to an extent it's easier just to wait and hope that by some miracle one or both are able to stay fit in the future. The problem is that it's been 3 seasons of regular disruption to the backline and I don't think we can afford to keep putting off dealing with the issue simply because it's hard and involves a big'ish gamble.

Fabinho has been a godsend but I'd love to have him available in midfield again and personally I don't think Rhys Williams is going to be ready any time soon. Everyone seems to agree that we have a ~2 year window of opportunity to squeeze as many trophies as we can out of the current team... so we need to someone we can rely on in a key area.

If we can make it work in the context of the finances available for general team building, I'd be looking for a top class young CB that is ready to come into the first team. I'm a big fan of Gomez but if that puts his nose out of joint then so be it. It's a risk we just have to take and hopefully Gomez will stay fit and fight for his place. There are plenty of games.

Think that we need someone close too, or on par with VVD now, and then another good young CB inthe summer. As much as I like Matip, both He and Gomez are injury prone and should be moved on. Fab whilevery good at CB was not bought to play that role and I would like to see him playing the in front of the back four, protecting them and breaking up play in the middle of the park.

FYI - I hate spending money on central defenders ,they are the most un-sexy part of any team, but to win titles you need a stable organised defence which you already know.

ef895a178456fb8a650c95d1690a331f.jpg

@the count - honestly you think we are not signing anyone ? Agree totally with what you say, and like @LeTallecWiz - we cannot surely gonna rely on Fab, plus unfit dodgy health Matip ? we will at some stage get a good spanking or get knocked out of CL early. I even think if we dont, it will catch up with us to the point where CL qualification is on the line. If we get to the point where we get knocked out of CL and there is little hope of winning the title then I can see some players not putting in 100%.
So
Think that we need someone close too, or on par with VVD now, and then another good young CB inthe summer. As much as I like Matip, both He and Gomez are injury prone and should be moved on. Fab whilevery good at CB was not bought to play that role and I would like to see him playing the in front of the back four, protecting them and breaking up play in the middle of the park.

Lets buy one of those cheap centre backs that’s as good, or nearly as good as Virgil. Because there are fucking millions of them lying around. Ffs.

Lets buy one of those cheap centre backs that’s as good, or nearly as good as Virgil. Because there are fucking millions of them lying around. Ffs.

I mention nothing about "Cheap CB's" And Yes, there are so great ones out there, maybe not millions, but many great ones

Its gotten to the point where Henderson is starting as CB and Ox is starting as CM, anybody who doesnt think we need to sign a defender immediately has probably just written this season off already.

2 of our starting 3 midfielders are now playing in defence, the spine of our team is totally compromised. There just isnt a reasonable argument at this point not to bring forward the inevitable summer CB signing that we all know was going to happen anyway.

Its gotten to the point where Henderson is starting as CB and Ox is starting as CM, anybody who doesnt think we need to sign a defender immediately has probably just written this season off already.

2 of our starting 3 midfielders are now playing in defence, the spine of our team is totally compromised. There just isnt a reasonable argument at this point not to bring forward the inevitable summer CB signing that we all know was going to happen anyway.

That's a klopp choice, not anyone elses. We do have centre backs available, and he was willing to sacrifice years of game intelligence in a position as well as years of experience in the centre of the park

I understand the point Klopp previously mentioned - about transfers not being the only/main solution to solving problems, as well as some supporters' reasoning/concern about who we can bring in who is better than what we have already got and/or is willing to play 2nd fiddle to the those main starters.

However, we are talking about a situation where
  • we have been relying on 1 very important defender (to the extent that we can never/seldom afford to rest him)
  • have 2 injury prone players in the CB position (the no. increases if we include players from other positions - Ox, Shaqiri, Keita etc.)
  • sold an experienced player without bringing in a replacement (previously said in reports that Fab was the intended go to option in the worst case scenario - which unfortunately, happened)
  • injury crisis esp. in the CB position (resulting in players being played out of position, depriving options in other departments which indirectly affects tactical and/or rotation plans etc.)

Let's not forget, things could have been much worse if the ACON had not been postponed (and if Wolves weren't prepared to accept installment payments for Jota. It has been constantly pointed out too that we have a group of players around the same peak age. No doubt, the Covid-19 pandemic has thrown a spanner into the works but somehow, it seems we have been pretty passive in terms of squad rebuilding and succession planning.

I understand the point Klopp previously mentioned - about transfers not being the only/main solution to solving problems, as well as some supporters' reasoning/concern about who we can bring in who is better than what we have already got and/or is willing to play 2nd fiddle to the those main starters.

However, we are talking about a situation where
  • we have been relying on 1 very important defender (to the extent that we can never/seldom afford to rest him)
  • have 2 injury prone players in the CB position (the no. increases if we include players from other positions - Ox, Shaqiri, Keita etc.)
  • sold an experienced player without bringing in a replacement (previously said in reports that Fab was the intended go to option in the worst case scenario - which unfortunately, happened)
  • injury crisis esp. in the CB position (resulting in players being played out of position, depriving options in other departments which indirectly affects tactical and/or rotation plans etc.)

Let's not forget, things could have been much worse if the ACON had not been postponed (and if Wolves weren't prepared to accept installment payments for Jota. It has been constantly pointed out too that we have a group of players around the same peak age. No doubt, the Covid-19 pandemic has thrown a spanner into the works but somehow, it seems we have been pretty passive in terms of squad rebuilding and succession planning.
I think our Kitty is very much empty, Henry is asset

So is Botman coming or are we going for Gleison Bremer ? - one of you know - let us know and share.

Can I just add - why are there so many of these stupid rumours about Kylian Mbappe ? - we all know its something that will NEVER happen, he is Real Madrid bound, so why do these sites keep bringing him up. I like to think we are better than this sort of garbage.

Last edited:
So under those so called "reasonable parameters" It is all but impossible to find a decent CB, why not add things like they must be naturally blone,(No dye allowed) score in one in three aerial duels in a opponents area, speak at least four foreign languages (one being mandarin) and Never sleep with another players wife...

How does that old saying goes... You pay peanuts, you get monkeys

So it is "IF" we get a huge payday from either the sale of Salah, Mane Or Bouth, Then we maybe able to look forward to a top class CB to play along side VVD

TBF, I think all speculation about who should be signed is exactly "playing Fantasy Football" regardless of the fee or selling club. The only ones not playing Fantasy Football are LFC themselves (*)

(*) I am referring to off the pitch, but if you want to apply it to on the pitch it also works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom