• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Summer rebuild 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
He might be now, but when Milner was MacAllister's age he was plenty technical too. He played almost exclusively as a winger then and it wasn't until he came to us that he dropped deeper (it was said at the time of the transfer that one reason he chose LFC was that this was a change he wanted to make).

Appaz Arse are closing in Martin Zubimendi from Real Sociedad. A CDM with a €60M buyout clause. Have they cooled their interest in Rice?

Appaz Arse are closing in Martin Zubimendi from Real Sociedad. A CDM with a €60M buyout clause. Have they cooled their interest in Rice?
He was always Chelsea bound, no?

Or is he waiting to see where his best mate, Mason Mount ends up before choosing where he wants to go?

I wouldn’t say no to both of them on free’s next summer.

I've never been convinced he'd go there. It's where he started out, only to get released as a youth player later on.

I know opinion varies about him (and Mount for that matter) on here, but I reckon they're quality and would also be fine with signing them, perhaps Mount this summer to help persuade Rice to follow him in a year's time.

Think Rice is nailed on for Arsenal. No one wants him or needs him as much they do. He'll get to stay in London, which seems important to him, and play in the CL.

After watching Wahlstedt more closely this season I’m not really against him coming in as our nr 2.
4 games - 4 clean sheets and some very impressive performances. Allround good goalkeeper with potential. Didnt think he could be anything for us but he might be a good signing.

I don't reckon they would. Rice would generally play deeper, filling in some of the gaps Trent can sometimes leave, then sometimes they could swap roles - each is good enough at what the other would normally do to make that viable.

Rice is one of those midfielders you build your team around. He is good enough. It will be a waste for him to play second feedle to Trent, or vice versa. MacAllister I do get, not so much Rice.

Rice is one of those midfielders you build your team around. He is good enough. It will be a waste for him to play second feedle to Trent, or vice versa. MacAllister I do get, not so much Rice.
You could say that with Jude.
Rice gives me Brian Robson or Souness type of vibe.

It wouldn't be a question of him playing "second fiddle" to Trent or anyone else. The two of them would dovetail together - when one (usually Trent but sometimes Rice) went forward the other would stay back, and vice versa.

Rice is a bit overrated cause of the English tax, but he's a definite upgrade on Hendo etc. Wont be worth the 70-80 mill though,

Defo see Rice as Hendo replacement.
He would Dove tail Trent well, there’s no reason why you can’t have two all rounders and this season is pointer to every reason why we do need more options in midfield.

So I was under the impression Rice's contract ends in 2024, I think other's too. We were wrong, it ends in 2025, with West Ham being able to extend it for another year , as @StevieM stated. Sky Sports saying they want £120m, thats Jude type fee.

Last edited:
So I was under the impression Rice's contract ends in 2024, I think other's too. We were wrong it ends in 2025 with West Ham being able to extend it, as @StevieM stated. Sky Sports saying they want £120m, thats Jude type fee.

And Arsenal are in pole position for his signature. We will end up with 4 new £20m plodders.

And Arsenal are in pole position for his signature. We will end up with 4 new £20m plodders.
Our issues haven't the quality of the signings but rather the lack of them. Klopp has specifically said integrating 5+players is difficult. So you're looking at 4 players max.

So I was under the impression Rice's contract ends in 2024, I think other's too. We were wrong, it ends in 2025, with West Ham being able to extend it for another year , as @StevieM stated. Sky Sports saying they want £120m, thats Jude type fee.

I remember reading somewhere that it does indeed end in 2024 and that the option is for a further year to end in 2025. Besides, both parties would have to agree to exercise the option. All Rice would have to do is refuse it.

It wouldn't be a question of him playing "second fiddle" to Trent or anyone else. The two of them would dovetail together - when one (usually Trent but sometimes Rice) went forward the other would stay back, and vice versa.
Like how Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes used to work so well together? Or like having Xabi Alonso and Pirlo in the same team and asking them to share the ball?

We don't play with ball hogs in midfield, we do now with Trent and the results are pretty good. You want Trent on the ball constantly. We bring in Rice for 80-100m, it will be a waste if he is babysitting for Trent, or for them both to share the ball.

Anyway, that's all I want to say on this. I guess you disagree but that's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom