• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match Southampton (H) - FA Cup - Wed 20:00

For all our cockiness we could easily be out of both cups and the league in 3 weeks.

Let’s enjoy the moment.

You’re getting a bit desperate now.

Don’t worry, you’ll get you chance to complain about not putting out a weakened team against your beloved Utd.

Yeah I’ll let you take the lesser comps Froggy but leave the big one to me eh?

Kostas was fine and did nothing wrong to be scored as one of the lowest - 7

Clark I’d knock down to a 6.5, nice assist but loses the ball far too much.

Koumas a 6 is fine as he didn’t do much bar the goal (has to be said was never going in without the deflection) lbut to rate Gakpo higher is an insult. A 2 for him.
You don't get a 7 for an average game - Kostas.
Rating Gakpo a 2 is ridiculous. He ran his bollocks off as he knew he was the one leading the line - he just had a bad game as far as shooting goes, but you wouldn't rate Nunez a 2 for doing the same, which he's had in the past, would you?

Last edited:
I was sure I saw Gakpo win the ball and run 80 yards taking on the entire Southampton team before unleashing a shot at goal... It didn't seem like a '2' performance to me.

I guess its time for me to rain on everyone's parade so here's episode #324 of "Modo worries".

We're giving our opponents too many clear cut chances and Kelleher has saved our backsides on more than a few occasions.
Looking at the highlights from the game currently and I'm reminded of how many clearcut, harder to miss than score, chances Southampton actually missed. They should have scored at least 2 goals.
It was the same against Chelsea.

I'm not sure if it's the result of having a weakened midfield or if it's the fullbacks but we wind up in too many 3 against 3 or 2 against 2 situations for my liking.

My worry is that better opponents won't miss those chances.

Maybe it's the luck of the Irish? Having Kelleher and Bradley on the pitch together somehow maximized our "luck" stats.

Anyway... that's all I have, like, subscribe and eat shit.

I guess its time for me to rain on everyone's parade so here's episode #324 of "Modo worries".

We're giving our opponents too many clear cut chances and Kelleher has saved our backsides on more than a few occasions.
Looking at the highlights from the game currently and I'm reminded of how many clearcut, harder to miss than score, chances Southampton actually missed. They should have scored at least 2 goals.
It was the same against Chelsea.

I'm not sure if it's the result of having a weakened midfield or if it's the fullbacks but we wind up in too many 3 against 3 or 2 against 2 situations for my liking.

My worry is that better opponents won't miss those chances.

Maybe it's the luck of the Irish? Having Kelleher and Bradley on the pitch together somehow maximized our "luck" stats.

Anyway... that's all I have, like, subscribe and eat shit.

View: https://twitter.com/rajsinghchohan/status/1762528059700220259

Our fullbacks are not watertight defensively - Robbo has been caught in no-man’s land repeatedly since coming back and Bradley sometimes can’t deal with a tricky winger like Suleimana. I probably trust Gomez the most of our full-backs at this point.

Robbo has a tendency to be a bit aggressive when pressing and his timing is a bit off.
But we also dont score that 3-1 goal against Luton without him being just that.

Our fullbacks are not watertight defensively - Robbo has been caught in no-man’s land repeatedly since coming back and Bradley sometimes can’t deal with a tricky winger like Suleimana. I probably trust Gomez the most of our full-backs at this point.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm talking about and you're right, I also trust Gomez the most at the moment, mostly because of his combined pace and strength.
We're playing high risk game right now with the offside line. The same thing happened against Southampton early in the first half and they too were offside, but with a slightly bigger margin.

What a phenomenal week for the academy.

Any other chat is whack. The kids did precisely what they needed to.

Onward and upwards

Giving away some chances with McConnell, Gomez and Clark in midfield was always going to happen.
True
Robbo has a tendency to be a bit aggressive when pressing and his timing is a bit off.
But we also dont score that 3-1 goal against Luton without him being just that.
And true.

Still a problem though isn't it?
We play Forest away next and they've got some really quick players upfront. We need to watch out for Elanga and Hudson-Odoi.

I think Modo is secretly wishing us to lose to validate his point, so he can go "I told you so!".

Risky business though because there is now the dislike button so harvesting likes isn't so straight forward anymore.

Too many people on here trying desperately to find a cloud to go around our silver lining.

Nah mate, everyone obviously loves and appreciates what the team was able to do despite the injury crisis in the last few games. But in truth we also had a bit of luck on our side wtih opponents missing good chances and luck can change on a whim and emotion and adrenaline wear off quickly too. You can tell Klopp is concerned with the state of the team despite our great results - we’re winning, but we’re also a hair’s breadth from this train going off the rails.

True

And true.

We play Forest away next and they've got some really quick players upfront. We need to watch out for Elanga and Hudson-Odoi.

Need Endo back for that game. Hopefully a few of the other injured players as well

Yep Robbo tends to dive in (or run into midfield) regularly, which leaves our defence exposed to breakways - it happened more than once in the LC final. Though you have to balance that with what he brings offensively - like 58 assists.

Tsimi did it yesterday, ran into midfield was easily bypassed and that left Southampton with acres of space to pass into and a break was on. This is why I marked him down, despite his excellent corners, he brought little else to the attack whilst being defensively suspect.

I remember feeling miffed when Michael Owen made his debut and I heard he's two months younger than me.

That was 28 years ago 🙄

True

And true.

Mate - it's how we play the game under Klopp. No point in hand-wringing or saying this or that team are dangerous. They all are with the high line we play, risk-reward. We trust in VvD and Konate/Quansah to bail us out as they do 9/10.

The reward? We are the highest scoring team in Europe and the first to pass 100 goals this season (according to the commentator last night). We sit top of the PL, we've won the LC, we're into the quarters of the FAC and the last 16 of the EL.

Nah mate, everyone obviously loves and appreciates what the team was able to do despite the injury crisis in the last few games. But in truth we also had a bit of luck on our side wtih opponents missing good chances and luck can change on a whim and emotion and adrenaline wear off quickly too. You can tell Klopp is concerned with the state of the team despite our great results - we’re winning, but we’re also a hair’s breadth from this train going off the rails.
Our opponents weren't the only ones to miss good chances. We missed plenty too. It's the nature of the game. Strikers miss more opportunities than score goals. I think the stats across all strikers show it's like 4 misses to every goal. And is great goalkeeping luck?

And if we tried to fit songs to a player's look we'd be adding an unnecessary level of weird complexity to things.

I think Modo is secretly wishing us to lose to validate his point, so he can go "I told you so!".

Risky business though because there is now the dislike button so harvesting likes isn't so straight forward anymore.

Booo

Mate - it's how we play the game under Klopp. No point in hand-wringing or saying this or that team are dangerous. They all are with the high line we play, risk-reward. We trust in VvD and Konate/Quansah to bail us out as they do 9/10.

The reward? We are the highest scoring team in Europe and the first to pass 100 goals this season (according to the commentator last night). We sit top of the PL, we've won the LC, we're into the quarters of the FAC and the last 16 of the EL.

Seriously, can you stop throwing facts in my face?
It's getting a bit annoying now.

Joke aside, what I'm basically saying in my previous post is that it's more forgiving playing that high risk/ high reward style against lesser opponents. But I hope that we're more reserved when we play against the top sides. I actually think we are, because we limit those chances when Szobo is playing. He was "babysitting" Trent in the first half of the season.

Last edited:
Rating Gakpo a 2 is ridiculous. He ran his bollocks off as he knew he was the one leading the line - he just had a bad game as far as shooting goes, but you wouldn't rate Nunez a 2 for doing the same, which he's had in the past, would you?
Nunez offers alot more threat without goals than Gapko does, he was poor last night apart from one or two moments. Nunez causes problems all over the pitch when he plays. Gapko doesn't get a "poor" rating for missing shots (though last nights were really poor), he gets it for generally not being that good. I want him to come good, he's chipped in with a reasonable amount of goals, but he's distinctly average compared to everyone else upfront and he was the same last night next to kids. That's why he's currently 5th choice when everyone's fit.

As for the Greek and Elliott, they both had good games overall, I agree Elliott was poor in the first half, but he was excellent in the second half and set up the second goal. Tsimikas generally defended and supported well.

He did fine, our left side was lively besides the first 15-20mins where everyone looked incredibly off. Certainly no worst than Bradley or Gomez.

Let's agree on a 3 for Gakpo then, ran about a bit yes otherwise did absolutely nothing.

Back
Top Bottom