• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Real Madrid (H) Feb 21st [CL]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that people are constantly harping on about Nat fucking Phillips just underlines why we are where we are.

The guy is nearly 26, rarely gets a game and has shown next to no ambition go play regularly somewhere.

Yes, he bails us out when we have injury problems.... but... the solution to the problem is not Nat Phillips, it's not having players that break down every Tuesday.

Nice guy, gives his all... give a fuck. Klopp doesn't rate him, he's never going to play unless it's a dire emergency.

Sell him.

I agree with selling him, and replacing him with quality, just that he is here with us now, and imo is a better option than Gomez.
And btw the reason we are where we are now is down to FSG and Klopp

Blaming Gomez for either of the first two goals is a stretch IMO. The 1st goal was just class and the 2nd was down to Badger losing it and Allison ballsing up (again). Allison's mistake here was worse than Karius's, at least Benzema had to move to stop Karius's throw out.
But Gomez was culpable for the 3rd and, although unlucky with the 4th, he was all over the box like a cunt in the build-up. We're in trouble at CB again, VVD is not the same the player anymore, Gomez is ok for 4th choice, Matip isn't reliable either and Konate never plays. Hence these calls for Nat Phillips when, really, he should be nowhere near our team.
We've gone from strength in depth to clear-out in 6 or 7 months. And that's before you get to the horror show that is the midfield.

Vvd just doesn't challenge much. He is too passive. He's still so much better aerially than everyone else we have that he's miles away our best defender, but he can't bail us out like he used to.

The fact that people are constantly harping on about Nat fucking Phillips just underlines why we are where we are.

The guy is nearly 26, rarely gets a game and has shown next to no ambition go play regularly somewhere.

Yes, he bails us out when we have injury problems.... but... the solution to the problem is not Nat Phillips, it's not having players that break down every Tuesday.

Nice guy, gives his all... give a fuck. Klopp doesn't rate him, he's never going to play unless it's a dire emergency.

Sell him.

Agree he's not the answer. But neither is joe fucking gomez this year. Sell both the cunts. I'd even be tempted to sell matip if i actually believed we'd get a suitable replacement

Agree he's not the answer. But neither is joe fucking gomez this year. Sell both the cunts. I'd even be tempted to sell matip if i actually believed we'd get a suitable replacement

The question to which Joe Gomez is the answer is something I really don't want to see.

Gomez this, Gomez that … just scapegoating. We’ve been like this the entire season and getting bummed by Forest, Leeds etc. even at their nadir.

Admit it (certainly Klopp should), this team’s competitive cycle is thoroughly done.

Gomez this, Gomez that … just scapegoating. We’ve been like this the entire season and getting bummed by Forest, Leeds etc. even at their nadir.

Admit it (certainly Klopp should), this team’s competitive cycle is thoroughly done.

dunno mate. Add two top drawer CMs (like everyone knows we need) and a top drawer CB and we’d hit top four easy.

Does anybody really disagree with that? Some people could see it earlier than others but everyone can see it by now. If Klopp can't see it then maybe he's not the right person to rebuild this squad.

Take a look at our squad and see how many players you'd be happy to have starting first XI in 18 months time. 2 maybe 3, we are in pretty bad shape. Gomez isn't the problem and Nat Phillips certainly isn't the solution, but in their own way both illustrate the issue we've got. Phillips should have been sold 2 years ago when his stock was high. Gomez is weak mentally and physically, he can't be relied upon but hes there because the alternatives also cant be relied upon.

Joego wasn't just shit yesterday. He has been shit for awhile. Together with Ox, Keita, CJ, Phillips, Bobby, they should have been out long ago. At least gradually one by one. But we didn't do it so we are now royally fucked. 3 of them are going out on a free, the other 3 will fetch us maybe 30m max compared to 50-60m if we had been smarter about it.

So besides the 3 confirmed departure, we are left with trying to get 2 new top class MF, 1 or 2 new CBs THIS season to stay competitive. That's like Chelsea money, or at least 200-300m that we don't have. If we don't do it this season, it will be a long and bleak road down the line since other teams are strengthening like crazy. Chelsea, Arsenal, Newcastle, United, Spurs, City, will all be ahead of us easy. Who knows which other club will get bought by some rich person.

Let not even start discussing about what we are going to do with the 3 highly paid amigos, Fab, Hendo and Thiago.

Last edited:

Gomez is fucking awful and has made countless errors this season (and well beyond) whilst spreading panic around him…

And…

…we’ve been unbalanced, seemingly exhausted /traumatised by last season and collectively mediocre.

It’s a false dichotomy to say that statement 1 is simply scapegoating Gomez and ignoring statement 2.

I’m absolutely bewildered as to how Gomez consistently makes his way into our first 11 at the expense of others when he’s consistently giving away goal scoring opportunities because of his lack of concentration, fear or whatever it is. It’s the one thing I can’t fathom Klopp on. It’s been like this all season and there seems to be a collective aversion to calling Gomez out on his repetitive shitness - contrast with the magnification of any Trent error.

Just get him out of a starting spot at Cb. It won’t solve everything, but we’ll be giving away 2-3 less unforced errors leading to goalcoring chances per game.

I never rated JoeGo even when he peaked years ago.

I'll have Nat over Joe anytime of the day tqvm.

Nat is becoming one of those players whose reputation is enhanced by every game he doesn't play. Klopp will change the players before he changes the system and Phillips cannot play in a team that plays that high up the pitch.

Yes, FSG by not giving Klopp the backing he should have, and Klopp by not being burtal enough in shipping out players he should. Am I wrong..?

Partly, yes. I agree with the first bit, but IMO that's by far the most likely cause of hanging on to certain players for too long. To me it is and always has been ludicrous to imagine Klopp has failed to notice what needed changing. It's way more likely that he just hasn't been enabled to make the necessary changes.

Well, with Mane gone and the injury to Jota we needed more up front as well, but it's a fair question. My bet for the answer is that Klopp has very clear ideas on whom he wants or doesn't want, and it happened that the players we wanted up front were available and affordable now. Under Klopp we're not going to go "near enough is good enough" in the transfer market, and IMO rightly not. We've found out the hard way in the past what a blind alley that is to go down.

Oh, I'm not saying every decision we've made has been the right one. Each such decision is a judgment call and it may be that we've stuck over-rigidly to our general approach at times. However I hope we don't abandon the underlying principle that sticking-plasters aren't a cure.

Believe if you want to that Klopp and the club have only now "decided to do something". I don't. Maybe we've been over-picky in some cases, but in Rafa's day we were continually making "make do and mend" signings and going nowhere as a result. Had that not changed under Klopp we still would be.

Believe if you want to that Klopp and the club have only now "decided to do something". I don't. Maybe we've been over-picky in some cases, but in Rafa's day we were continually making "make do and mend" signings and going nowhere as a result. Had that not changed under Klopp we still would be.

I'd say we did so more in the beginning with Rafa, until we got regular CL qualification, and built a better foundation.
Then we bought more selectively, at a higher shelf.

Mate, our last signing under Rafa was Jovanovic. On a free. I remember it because, amazingly, he actually had a stormer in his first game against the Arse.

It does seem very odd to leave it until now to decide that we need to strengthen midfield.

I can only think we thought we were one of the best teams in the world and could wait for a select few players to become available and that hasn't happened and we're now left to pick from the leftovers or pay a huge premium.

Bad luck or poor management take your pick.

Mate, our last signing under Rafa was Jovanovic. On a free. I remember it because, amazingly, he actually had a stormer in his first game against the Arse.

But that is not representative of the development that took place, which I describe.

If we, the fans watching only matches, can pin point the problem that is the regression of our main midfield 3 especially Hendo and Fab, then how did Klopp and co. miss it?

If they didn't miss it, why would they prioritise Gakpo over a MF in Jan? We obviously had 40m to spend and they decided to blow it all on a forward. If we do not make the CL places that will be on the management team, at least a fair chunk of it.

Even Baj wasn't expected to make the step up so quickly. He did, we were fortunate. It could have been so much worse to be honest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom