• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Prematch vs FIFA City (H) Sunday 16:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
De Bruyne was pretty poor for our goal. He let Salah go, then trusted Cancelo would stop him, only then did he start running back.

DeBruyne is a brilliant player, but one thing he's not is a world class athlete. He's a bit slow and lumbering, when he gets turned he's never gonna be the midfielder that chases down a runner. It's probably why Guardiola moved him into the front 3 for yesterday's game, he can be a weak link in midfield.

James Milner reveals “little chat” with Haaland during“confidence boost” win

James Milner was part of a defiant team display as Liverpool beat Man City1-0 on Sunday, with the vice-captain describing it as a “confidence boost.”
Before kickoff at Anfield, there were concerns over Milner’s role on the right-hand side of the defence up against Phil Foden.

But he allayed them emphatically, with a standout performance as the Reds won for only the third time in the Premier League this season, against their major rivals.
The narrative throughout the game was Erling Haaland’s clash with Virgil van Dijk– which the Dutchman undoubtedly triumphed in – but the Norwegian was perhaps more interested in Milner.
A former Leeds youth product, who came through the academy while the striker’s father, Alf-Inge Haaland, was part of the senior side, the No. 7 shared a mutual connection.

And asked by Jan Aage Fjortoft whether Haaland had brought up “Leeds, Leeds, Leeds” again, Milner told Viaplay that they had had a “little chat.”
“I can confirm he said he was going to sign for Leeds a few years ago when we played against him and he was obviously lying, so that’s disappointing!” the 36-year-old recalled.
“We had a little chat, yeah…”
Milner went on to praise the Anfield supporters for an “absolutely outstanding” atmosphere, fuelling a “fantastic team performance” in which “the boys sacrificed themselves for the team.”
Not only for Milner himself, but the victory may have proved critics wrong when it came to Liverpool’s hopes for the campaign.
“It’s blah to us, but there’s a lot of talk outside,” the vice-captain said.

“For us, we just try to keep improving.
“We know we haven’t been playing as well as we can, we’ve had issues with injuries and changes being made and not hit our stride as we would like.
“But for us, we just try to take as we always do, try to fight back to being our best, work through those issues on the training field, put everything into every game.
“That’s what this team will always do.
“That should be a big confidence boost, to be able to put in a performance like that against City and get a win.”

Mo's control to trap the ball and his pace afterwards to run clear of the chasing pack have been (rightly) pointed out umpteen times above and elsewhere. What hasn't been mentioned but IMO was equally vital is his strength in possession. The guy's a powerful little bugger and it's practically impossible to knock him off the ball once he's got it under control. That enabled him to roll his marker and get a yard's start on him, which then grew as he outpaced the lot of them before knocking the goal in.
Neville mentioned this in his podcast. He said Mo had already out-muscled Ake and Dias yesterday, so Cancelo had no chance !

The thing that pissed me off most about Nunez was how he just doesn't press. Salah kept shouting at him about it. He's only 22 and fast as fuck... It's just fucking lazy.
I doubt it's that. It's that we need to press AS A TEAM and he hasn't got that yet. No doubt Mo was saying Now ! Go! Go ! Go!

Nunez needs to be given English lessons, or at least I hope he's already taking them. Its so important for his further development.

I doubt it's that. It's that we need to press AS A TEAM and he hasn't got that yet. No doubt Mo was saying Now ! Go! Go ! Go!
Exactly. I imagine it might take him a little more than 7 sub appearances and the odd start to fully get the system in a new league / new language.

Fuck knows why everyone is jumping to negative conclusions on a young player after barely a few games. It’s mental.

Exactly. I imagine it might take him a little more than 7 sub appearances and the odd start to fully get the system in a new league / new language.

Fuck knows why everyone is jumping to negative conclusions on a young player after barely a few games. It’s mental.

It's because he's clearly not doing what he's told. It's nothing to do with pressing as a team, he wasn't pressing ever.

Makes sense. Everyone else on the pitch constantly pressurising the opposition, he'd only been on five minutes and he was walking round like berbatov
Yeah it's a perfect comparison I was shouting at the tv yesterday. Last two minutes and all he has to do is run

Makes sense. Everyone else on the pitch constantly pressurising the opposition, he'd only been on five minutes and he was walking round like berbatov

Saw that too...but he's young, new and possibly a bit thick and has spent the last few years as an on the shoulder strikers. He needs to learn English soon and then start listening

Any other goalkeeper delivering an assist and we would have discussions just focused on that and how good it was. Allison delivers yet another pinpoint pass to Salah in the other half, and we just shrug and accept it. Not because we don't appreciate it. We have just come to accept his brilliance as routine. It is a reflection of how much he has raised the bar. As @dmishra said, the greatest LFC goalkeeper I have ever seen and probably will see.

He runs himself ragged so he will always get opportunities in a set up like today where City had to come out and leave gaps. He butchered a couple of great chances to kill the game late on with some awful decision making
That one in injury time where he chip ederson was cringey but I heard afterwards he was offside

City moaning about their disallowed goal but according to the motd they were told that also the alisson challenge would also have have had it ruled out

Good stats but I'm surprised reina didn't have more assists. I remember a few off the top of my head.

He was really good up to a point but seriously there is no excuse to what he did with that 3 on 1. Not only was he wrong to not pass to mo for a simple tap in but he also took a shot that didn't even beat the only defender. That could have cost us but we won so won't knock him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom