• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Man City (H) - Sunday 16:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty nice overall :

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola speaking to Sky Sports: "What a game. That is the reason the last years Man City and Liverpool were always there because we try to play in this way. Unfortunately we couldn't win - but we didn't lose.
"That's why the Premier League is the best [that it could go either way]. It was great, really great."

On Phil Foden: "Phil is a special player we know it. he came back from the national team injured, he is a fantastic player - but not just him, everyone was fantastic."

On whether James Milner should have been showed a second yellow card: "It's a yellow card. It's a yellow card. It's clear. It's Anfield, it's Old Trafford. In our situation a City player is sent off. It's too much clear. It was a second yellow."

On the result: "It is what it is. The result is the result and we cannot change it. I know how difficult it is against these players and this manager. Every time it is incredible challenge for us. The way we played at Stamford Bridge, in Paris and today shows we are a great team. When we lose the way we play in Paris [against Paris St-Germain] and draw today it is good. I pray we continue and player come back from their national teams safe."

On a reported incident involving a Liverpool supporter and a member of City's backroom staff: "I don't know. I heard something nasty said from the crowd to our staff. Liverpool will take measures. Liverpool is much greater than this person. It is certain people. It is an honour to come here. The way they support the team is great, that's why it is Anfield."

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp speaking to Sky Sports: "Thank god a football game has two halves. We are really happy about the second and not so happy about the first for obvious reasons. We did a lot of things wrong in the first half and City did a lot of things right in the first half so we never got really in the game. We weren't much worse, we never played enough football. I was most happy in my career about the half-time whistle. It was never planned that we played like this and we needed half-time and we used half-time and played a really good second half.

"Man City with the ball is a proper team. There are ways to defend it. They had chances clear but they didn't score from that. It gives you a really bad feeling which leads to not playing football. We had long balls which didn't make sense. All these things we changed in the second half immediately. We were now in the game and scored wonderful goals with the ball. The message was to play the extra pass. We didn't do that in the first half at all. Do we want to win a game like this? Yes. We have to admit today the point is completely fine

On Salah's goal: "Both were pretty good. The biggest chance we didn't use. I have no idea how Rodri blocked the ball. For me the ball was in, but it's all fine. If Leo Messi ior Cristiano Ronaldo score that goal then the world says yes because it's world class. He (Salah) is one of the best players in the world, that's how it is."

On if Milner was lucky to stay on the pitch: "Pep got a little bit outraged over that. I didn't see but I saw Pep's reaction obviously but I didn't know exactly why he did that. Milly did incredibly well first half and it is not easy to defend these guys."

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live: "Very average first half from us.
"Probably less than average, we were too passive with and without the ball and played right into City's hands. That was the worst half we have played against them.
"I was more than pleased when I heard the whistle for half time because we had to adjust a lot of things and we did.

"Second half completely different. If we only played the second half I would have loved to have won but with the first half I am happy with the point.
"It is not the first goal [Mo Salah] has scored like this, I think against Napoli and Tottenham were similar goals but it is pure world class, what a player. He set up the first goal as well for Sadio and it was great goal as well.

"It was obvious Milner got a yellow in the first half and everyone from City was outraged because of a challenge, it was clear we had to react."

On whether James Milner should have been showed a second yellow card: "It's a yellow card. It's a yellow card. It's clear. It's Anfield, it's Old Trafford. In our situation a City player is sent off. It's too much clear. It was a second yellow."

Just like Walker did against Southampton? Get to fuck with this City getting picked on narrative, since the first day I watched football players who were on a yellow card have been getting away without getting a second yellow when they deserve it, its a problem with the game for sure, but a thoroughly unbias one.

Just like Walker did against Southampton? Get to fuck with this City getting picked on narrative, since the first day I watched football players who were on a yellow card have been getting away without getting a second yellow when they deserve it, its a problem with the game for sure, but a thoroughly unbias one.
So ... yeah it was a Yellow then. We were lucky, a few of us said at HT this was a major issue. Nothing happens for us if the ref. had given it, we'd have lost. I don't really care about any of those others, that's really not affecting what we do.

So ... yeah it was a Yellow then. We were lucky, a few of us said at HT this was a major issue. Nothing happens for us if the ref. had given it, we'd have lost. I don't really care about any of those others, that's really not affecting what we do.
It was a yellow, we were lucky, I was taking issue with Pep suggesting the old guard get these decisions and City don't, it's complete bah humbug bullshit.

Milly could've been off, but it was borderline..just. A draw was decent in the end. Worldie by Mo. Our midfield was way off today esp in the first half, they were chasing shadows. Defence wasn't to clever either. Nothing decided today.

Milner should’ve gotten the second yellow and was lucky not to concede a FK outside the box when Foden ran past him. We were pretty fortunate with a couple of the big decisions.

A draw was probably a fair result in the end but on the whole we were second best in most aspects and the midfield were dreadful.

Still gutted after their shitty deflected equalizer though. Salah’s goal was so good it deserved to win the match and I was already looking forward to bathing in their salty tears. Bah.

It was a yellow, we were lucky, I was taking issue with Pep suggesting the old guard get these decisions and City don't, it's complete bah humbug bullshit.
Nah that doesn't irritate me in the slightest. It's par for the course for any manager. Deflection.

I'd have been more than happy with a point at half time because we were so lethargic and they were battering us, Milner was getting skinned all the time, from my angle probably should have given a pen away, but we got away with it and went ahead twice because we're ace. What I don't understand is how when it was obvious that city looked so dangerous down their left we didn't do something about protecting that space and our lead. Anyways, I was entertained and a point is fair enough.

Incredible game. A draw was a fair result in the end.

City played with two wide men on the left and caused Milner all sorts of problems. This meant they got a lot of joy down that side but they had one less attacker in the middle to pounce on any loose balls.

After watching City-Chelsea, I said we would cause City more problems than Chelsea did. For once I was right. Mo and Mane scored wonderful goals but the best chance of the game fell to Fabs. Only great defending stopped him from winning the game for us.

So, just judging on the season so far. Out of the big 4, we have the best attack and City the best defence. Chelsea the worst attack and United the worst defence.

When you see that second goal...maybe Liverpool has to take special measures for him with regard to the pay structure. We all be talking about Mbappe but isn't Salah a better footballer? That X factor of a player that we are crying out for in Mbappe, we already have in Salah...FSG should dig deep, hes that good. That goal was the reason why ppl been saying he's the African Messi.

Can I just ask - as I did not see the game, I am hearing bad things about Curtis, what happened to him today ? - was he able to make any runs / hold onto the ball ?

Can I just ask - as I did not see the game, I am hearing bad things about Curtis, what happened to him today ? - was he able to make any runs / hold onto the ball ?

The game bypassed him today. I thought he was the poorest of our midfield 3 as he couldn’t get into the game at all.

Still, this is City and they probably have the best midfield in the world. Jones is still a fantastic prospect.

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp speaking to Sky Sports: "Thank god a football game has two halves. We are really happy about the second and not so happy about the first for obvious reasons. We did a lot of things wrong in the first half and City did a lot of things right in the first half so we never got really in the game. We weren't much worse, we never played enough football. I was most happy in my career about the half-time whistle. It was never planned that we played like this and we needed half-time and we used half-time and played a really good second half.

"Man City with the ball is a proper team. There are ways to defend it. They had chances clear but they didn't score from that. It gives you a really bad feeling which leads to not playing football. We had long balls which didn't make sense. All these things we changed in the second half immediately. We were now in the game and scored wonderful goals with the ball. The message was to play the extra pass. We didn't do that in the first half at all. Do we want to win a game like this? Yes. We have to admit today the point is completely fine

On Salah's goal: "Both were pretty good. The biggest chance we didn't use. I have no idea how Rodri blocked the ball. For me the ball was in, but it's all fine. If Leo Messi ior Cristiano Ronaldo score that goal then the world says yes because it's world class. He (Salah) is one of the best players in the world, that's how it is."

On if Milner was lucky to stay on the pitch: "Pep got a little bit outraged over that. I didn't see but I saw Pep's reaction obviously but I didn't know exactly why he did that. Milly did incredibly well first half and it is not easy to defend these guys."

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live: "Very average first half from us.
"Probably less than average, we were too passive with and without the ball and played right into City's hands. That was the worst half we have played against them.
"I was more than pleased when I heard the whistle for half time because we had to adjust a lot of things and we did.

"Second half completely different. If we only played the second half I would have loved to have won but with the first half I am happy with the point.
"It is not the first goal [Mo Salah] has scored like this, I think against Napoli and Tottenham were similar goals but it is pure world class, what a player. He set up the first goal as well for Sadio and it was great goal as well.

"It was obvious Milner got a yellow in the first half and everyone from City was outraged because of a challenge, it was clear we had to react."

The game bypassed him today. I thought he was the poorest of our midfield 3 as he couldn’t get into the game at all.

Still, this is City and they probably have the best midfield in the world. Jones is still a fantastic prospect.

I think Jones is fantastic whether he played well or not in this one game. I just don't understand why the game bypassed him, as he is someone who by default gets involved in games because of his natural skills to run with the ball. So I can only think - they stopped him from getting the ball ? - is that what happened ?

I thought he was the best of our midfield three, not saying much as the other two were diabolical. Jones did a lot of work off the ball unlike the more senior team-mates.

Last edited:

He was pretty anonymous for 75 minutes, although I wouldn't say he was poor (honestly Fabinho and Hendo were worse) – but in the moments when we needed someone with confidence and swagger to reignite our passing game, something Thiago would have almost certainly done, Curtis did not take the responsibility. After 75 minutes when City tired and stopped pressing as a team, Jones suddenly sprung to life and started driving the offense forward. He provided the "assist" for Salah's 2nd goal, which is of course not a real assist, but he did construct the moves that made this goal and other promising attacks possible. Overall 6.5 from me.

They were the better side for long periods but we're still the only unbeaten side in the league and that lot are still behind us. That's the kind of stickability that wins league titles.

Ypu mean like in the 2018/19 season when City was 13pts behind us and when on a winning streak while we drew a lot of games beating us to the title by 2pts ?

He was pretty anonymous for 75 minutes, although I wouldn't say he was poor (honestly Fabinho and Hendo were worse) – but in the moments when we needed someone with confidence and swagger to reignite our passing game, something Thiago would have almost certainly done, Curtis did not take the responsibility. After 75 minutes when City stopped pressing as a team as they were getting tired, Jones suddenly sprung to life and started driving the offense forward. He gave the "assist" for Salah's 2nd goal, which is of course not a real assist, but he did construct the moves that made this goal and other promising attacks possible.

Cheers - if Hendo, and Fab were worse then this result must have been a damn miracle. Sounds like we have a real problem on the right hand side when Trent is out (to be honest I would not have been surprised if TAA was playing and he got a skinned). We need a solution to this issue - I wish we still had Clyne - as a defender he was top top player on that side, none of that skill bollox would work against him.

We really need a Bissouma in that middle so that we can just form a shield - if we are just going to go stiff. I enjoyed watching what Doucoure did for Everton yesterday, we need some of that.

He was pretty anonymous for 75 minutes, although I wouldn't say he was poor (honestly Fabinho and Hendo were worse)

This is where I disagree. For me being anonymous is worst than playing badly.

Hendo and Fabs tried but didn’t do all that well. Curtis just didn’t do anything good or bad in the game. He just didn’t play.

This is where I disagree. For me being anonymous is worst than playing badly.

Hendo and Fabs tried but didn’t do all that well. Curtis just didn’t do anything good or bad in the game. He just didn’t play.

He did some OK defensive work in the first half, just was not confident enough on the ball. Improved in the 2nd half.

Alisson 7 - great save early doors, but was a bit shaky with the ball, along with VVD Fabs and Henderson. This set the tone for the whole team for the 1st half.

Robbo - great energy and perseverence. Tried to drag a performance out of his team mates 8

VVD - was OK, but still looks a bit sluggish and I'd like to see some more leadership from him. 7

Matip - along with Robbo was the only player who did himself justice in the 1st half. 8

Milner - getting a lot of stick because foden was having a field day, but he was left isolated and with his pace was always going to struggle. Amazingly lucky not to get a 2nd yellow 6

Fabinho - poor. Poor distribution, poor energy, weak. 4

Henderson - see fabinho but worse. Didnt help Milner either. When we struggle we lack leadership too. Should be him pulling the team together in the 1st half. Should be him helping organise a tighter defence when protecting the lead. 3

Jones - didn't really do anything wrong, but didn't really impose himself either 6

Mane - great finish was quite quiet otherwise 7

Jota - was busy but lacked service. 1 great turn and shot which set the tone for the 2nd half 7

Salah - unusually lax in the 1st half, but brilliant for Manes goal and one of the best goals you'll see after 9

Klopp - we were lucky to get a draw tbh, and i think we had it in us to win had we nailed the tactics and performance. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom