• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

One Brew over the Swans nest

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe in him completely. If he stays fit and gets a run of games, I'm absolutely convinced he'll be something special.

As you’ve watched him more than anyone else on here, what attributes does he have that has you so convinced?

I remember from pre season he seemed to have a good knack for being in the right place but in terms of technique and all that stuff I find it hard to judge as not seen him on the ball enough.

As you’ve watched him more than anyone else on here, what attributes does he have that has you so convinced?

I remember from pre season he seemed to have a good knack for being in the right place but in terms of technique and all that stuff I find it hard to judge as not seen him on the ball enough.

He's got everything, I think. He's smart, he's got that instinct for attacking space, he anticipates really well, he's got great movement, he can do tap-ins but also shots from outside the area, he can play pretty much anywhere along the front line, and he's just got something distinctive about him - if he realises his full potential I think he'll be like Firmino but with more goals.

Ive admittedly not seen that much of him but I always got the impression that he wasnt tricky or strong enough to be operating in a wide position. Thought he was more of a front man with good acceleration over 5-10 yards and good finishing ability. Similar to the likes of Owen or Defoe.

great move for him as he needs games.
i hope macca is spot on with how he sees him, because then we're set.

He wont make it here anytime soon. A 2 year loan spell would do him good like it as done so for Abrarams

[article]Swansea City’s loan move for Liverpool striker Rhian Brewster is at a standstill over contract clauses with Leeds United and Bristol City waiting to profit if there is a permanent break down in negotiations.

The Independent understands Steve Cooper’s side struck an agreement with the Premier League leaders without a fee for the 19-year-old, with only wage recovery and financial penalties if he doesn’t play factored into the equation.

Despite such a favourable trade between the clubs, Swansea are being unobliging with personal elements of the transfer like goal bonuses.

The Championship’s sixth-placed side have only been willing to grant such basic rewards if they achieve promotion, a stance that has been rejected.

Brewster was due to travel to the Welsh coastal city on Tuesday to finalise his temporary switch, but that has now been placed on hold.

It is hoped that a resolution can be quickly found as the forward has been keen to be reunited with Cooper. Brewster thrived under his guidance as manager of England Under-17s and won the Golden Boot two years ago during the World Cup triumph.

The Independent has been informed both Leeds and Bristol City have been in contact with the teenager’s representatives in the hopes of swinging a deal their way late on.

The latter are unsure whether Eddie Nketiah, who had his spell under Marcelo Bielsa cut short, will join them on loan and have thus been seeking out alternatives.

Brewster, whose preference in terms of guaranteed minutes is Swansea, is not short of options as he plots a crucial phase of his development.
[/article]

The Independent understands Steve Cooper’s side struck an agreement with the Premier League leaders without a fee for the 19-year-old, with only wage recovery and financial penalties if he doesn’t play factored into the equation.

Is that really helpful though? I understand we want to ensure he gets playing time while on loan, but as a young player, when you're on the pitch you need to be absolutely sure it's because the manager believes in you, not because the club is forced by financial disincentives. This way even if you do earn your place completely on merit, you can't be sure that you did. It seems like a prudent clause to insert, but I'm not sure it helps in the long run. It's more important to find a club and a manager with the football philosophy that would allow this player to flourish if he's good enough.

Is that really helpful though? I understand we want to ensure he gets playing time while on loan, but as a young player, when you're on the pitch you need to be absolutely sure it's because the manager believes in you, not because the club is forced by financial disincentives. This way even if you do earn your place completely on merit, you can't be sure that you did. It seems like a prudent clause to insert, but I'm not sure it helps in the long run. It's more important to find a club and a manager with the football philosophy that would allow this player to flourish if he's good enough.

This is a bit naive. Any manager worth his salt, will choose his own player over one that's on loan, as that's the only one that will benefit the club in the long term.

The entire reason we have started writing these clauses into the contracts is due to our history of loaning players like Ilori to Villa (he wasn't played in a single game) or Teixeira to Brentford (where the club had a difficult spell and the manager decided to stick to more experienced players). These players went on loan to get game time, but ran into managers that didn't want to develop them. Clubs promised to play them, but then ended up hindering their careers as they would have been better off staying at Liverpool.

Ive admittedly not seen that much of him but I always got the impression that he wasnt tricky or strong enough to be operating in a wide position. Thought he was more of a front man with good acceleration over 5-10 yards and good finishing ability. Similar to the likes of Owen or Defoe.

If he was that similar to Owen, he'd be in the first team by now

This is a bit naive. Any manager worth his salt, will choose his own player over one that's on loan, as that's the only one that will benefit the club in the long term.

The entire reason we have started writing these clauses into the contracts is due to our history of loaning players like Ilori to Villa (he wasn't played in a single game) or Teixeira to Brentford (where the club had a difficult spell and the manager decided to stick to more experienced players). These players went on loan to get game time, but ran into managers that didn't want to develop them. Clubs promised to play them, but then ended up hindering their careers as they would have been better off staying at Liverpool.
Poor Illori - didn't get a game at Villa, didn't get a reserves game with us ... its a wonder he didn't seize up at the time.

Injuries came at the worst time possible for him, huge shame as he looked the real deal.

But time is getting on and you don't stay a teenager for ever....sadly don't see him making it and going the same way the likes of Kent Ibe Ojo Sinclair etc have
gone.

Injuries came at the worst time possible for him, huge shame as he looked the real deal.

But time is getting on and you don't stay a teenager for ever....sadly don't see him making it and going the same way the likes of Kent Ibe Ojo Sinclair etc have
gone.
Where did Sinclair make it? Watford dumped him, didn't they?

[article]Swansea City have completed the signing of highly-rated Liverpool forward Rhian Brewster on loan for the rest of the season, subject to international clearance.

Brewster reunites with Swans head coach Steve Cooper, who he played under during England Under-17s’ World Cup success in 2017 – a tournament where Brewster won the Golden Boot with eight goals.

The 19-year-old has featured three times for the Reds this season
– most recently in the FA Cup win against Everton on Sunday – and was on the bench for the Champions League final triumph over Tottenham Hotspur in June.

The loan signing comes shortly after Sam Surridge’s return to parent club Bournemouth, with the Swans beating a number of clubs to secure Brewster’s signature.

Brewster, who will wear squad number 19, underwent a successful medical today and will train with his new team-mates on Wednesday. He will also be available for selection for Sunday’s Championship clash with Cardiff City.

Brewster started his career with Chelsea before joining Liverpool as a 14-year-old.

He worked his way up the academy ranks with the Reds and, after his huge success with England Under-17s, was named on the bench during Liverpool’s Premier League clash with Crystal Palace at the age of 17.

Highly rated at Anfield, he signed a new long-term deal in the summer of 2018 and resisted offers from top European clubs to remain with the Reds.

He was part of the matchday squad for Liverpool’s dramatic Champions League semi-final second leg victory over Barcelona and was again named as one of Jurgen Klopp’s substitutes for the 2-0 defeat of Spurs in the final.[/article]

can he get 10 league goals for the remainder of the season. This has to be the bare minimum

can he get 10 league goals for the remainder of the season. This has to be the bare minimum
What fucking shite!

Tammy Abraham, now aged 22, went on loan to Swansea 2017-18 and scored 5 goals in 31 appearances. He's now looking like potentially a top striker.

Last edited:
He's now finished as he's gone out on the liverpool loan of death. Good on your career elsewhere kid. From the very little we've seen of him, I'd say he could be pretty useful somewhere like a top championship club, he's got that knack of being in the right place at the right time. He could get to the level as a Ings, Gayle, Austin, Barnes etc.

He's now finished as he's gone out on the liverpool loan of death. Good on your career elsewhere kid. From the very little we've seen of him, I'd say he could be pretty useful somewhere like a top championship club, he's got that knack of being in the right place at the right time. He could get to the level as a Ings, Gayle, Austin, Barnes etc.

Wednesday night and I like the way you're moving.
Divock Origi

What fucking shite!

Tammy Abraham, now aged 22, went on loan to Swansea 2017-18 and scored 5 goals in 31 appearances. He's now looking like potentially a top striker.

Abraham has more to his game than brewster. 10 goals is a minimum

Abraham has more to his game than brewster. 10 goals is a minimum
How the hell would you know? You've seen him play about 5 minutes. Macca, who has seen more of this lad than anyone on here thinks he is one of the best prospects he's seen in a long time.

How the hell would you know? You've seen him play about 5 minutes. Macca, who has seen more of this lad than anyone on here thinks he is one of the best prospects he's seen in a long time.

Er, yeah, but on the other hand, macca does appear to be suffering a long, painfully drawn out mental breakdown.

So it's a bit "take it with a pinch of salt" innit?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...17s-World-Cup-glory-hes-got-Swansea-song.html

Nice read regarding Steve Cooper

23209126-7870411-Swansea_boss_Steve_Cooper_s_thoughts_regularly_drift_back_to_the-a-7_1578604762294.jpg
23214302-7870411-image-a-140_1578606452517.jpg

[article]
When Steve Cooper pulls on his runners and lets the fresh morning air of the Welsh coast declutter his mind, his thoughts regularly drift back to the thrill of his first derby as Swansea’s head coach.

‘I often find myself thinking about that,’ admits Cooper as he recalls beating Cardiff at Liberty Stadium. ‘I like to go running in the mornings and I’m thinking about why we’re doing this and messages for the players.

‘We played well that day and we won in our way. It was bloody great. The atmosphere was different. We’ve been to Leeds and Hillsborough but nothing compared to that feeling. The emotion and togetherness on that day was unique.’

Cooper is a South Walian who was born in Pontypridd and made the journey 45 miles west from the Valleys to Swansea via Wrexham, Liverpool and the top of the world with England.

He has worked in professional football since leaving school and this season, as he turned 40, he stepped from the ranks of youth development to begin life at the front of a club which has proved a successful staging post for some acclaimed modern coaches.

Brendan Rodgers, Roberto Martinez, Graeme Jones and most recently Graham Potter have all flourished at Swansea.
‘It’s something I wanted to do for a long time,’ says Cooper. ‘I’ve been a professional coach for 20 years so I’m not new to it. I wouldn’t put myself in this position if I didn’t know I could do it. I just wanted to make sure I was ready.

‘It’s not for everyone. Some people love working with the academies. I found as I worked with the older age groups and got into tactics, playing philosophies, coaching methodology and leadership that it gave me an ambition to work at senior level. So I’m giving it a go. I’ve done thousands of sessions and thousands of games and I feel very comfortable in the job but I see myself at the start.’

Cooper left South Wales at 16 to join Wrexham as a trainee and spent two years as a young pro before stepping into coaching.

‘I failed as a footballer and Wrexham saw something in my character to give me a full-time coaching role in the academy,’ he explains. ‘I was coaching full-time and playing part-time in the League of Wales for Bangor City but only for about 12 months.

‘The two things clashed and when it came to the choice I wanted to coach because I found myself looking forward to that more than playing. I fell in love with coaching.’

Cooper finished his playing career in his mid-20s and stayed at Wrexham until 2008, when they were relegated from the Football League, and an opportunity arose at the Liverpool academy. ‘I spent time there with some brilliant people,’ he says. ‘Sir Kenny Dalglish was one who taught me about being a good human being, showing humility and having no ego.

‘And we had a Spanish influence with Pep Segura (Barcelona’s sporting director until July) and Rodolfo Borrell, who is now at Manchester City with Pep Guardiola, and they showed me a new way of working.’

After Liverpool came five years at St George’s Park with the Football Association and he led England’s Under 17s to World Cup glory in India in 2017.
‘A brilliant experience,’ says Cooper. ‘I’m a real advocate of the modern young player. I’ve worked in youth development for 20 years and they’ve never been more professional or more committed to their trade.

‘There’s a lot of stigma about “too much too soon” which I completely disagree with. People say everything’s on a plate when football has gone with the times, caught up with other sports in terms of facilities, coaching and support for its players. The players have grabbed hold of that and this British generation is thriving. It is right to be excited and proud of them.’

His World Cup winners included Jadon Sancho, Phil Foden and Callum Hudson-Odoi plus Rhian Brewster who has just joined Swansea on loan from Liverpool, and Marc Guehi who has joined on loan from Chelsea.

‘The Championship is a brilliant league for opportunities,’ says Cooper. ‘And when you give kids an opportunity they often take them. It’s starting to turn. We have Ben Cabango, who has come through the ranks and recently started games. Let’s hope this swell in opportunity continues. I know it’s difficult and I’m feeling it now myself: do we put this kid in when we’ve got a more experienced player? I want to be true to myself and we are a club who have to develop our own players.’

Potter’s exit for Brighton after a year at Swansea supplied the opening for Cooper to return to Wales, where he enjoyed his childhood as a son of former Premier League referee Keith Cooper.

‘Maybe when he gave a decision about Manchester United or Liverpool you’d get a bit of stick in school,’ he says. ‘But it wasn’t a bad time, and I look back fondly on my dad being a ref because he was at the top. He reffed a few times at the old Wembley, in the play-offs and I used to go to the big ones. I was there in the League Cup final in 1994 when he sent off Andrei Kanchelskis and Dean Saunders scored the penalty.

‘It’s amazing how many people ask after him, it’s a nice reminder of how well-liked he was.’

Keith has followed Swansea this season and was picked out by the TV cameras as he celebrated during the win against Cardiff. ‘He’s enjoying the ride and feels the emotions like any dad would,’ says Cooper.

Swansea, relegated from the Premier League in 2018, were unbeaten in their first eight games of the season before a sequence of no wins in six and they suffered a crushing FA Cup defeat at QPR. But they are sixth in the Championship and firmly in the pack with sights on promotion but not about to get carried away as they prepare to face Cardiff again on Sunday.

‘The good start did raise expectations,’ says Cooper. ‘Swansea in the white kit, playing the way they played became a familiar sight in the Premier League. People saw that start and thought this was the same Swansea, when in fact we’re a much different club. We’ve got a new coaching and management team. The chairman only came through the door in April a few months before me.

‘Leon Britton is new to his role as sporting director, we’ve got a brand new recruitment team, a new physical performance team. We lost the head of medicine in the summer, so that’s changed, we’ve got a brand new analysis team. On it goes. We brought in millions in the summer, not to be reinvested but because the club needed the money.

‘So we’re a very different club from how we’re sometimes perceived and one of the challenges has been to live up to the status and expectations — to stay connected to our recent history because it’s unique and important — versus where we’re actually at.’

[/article]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom