• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Moyes sacked.

Reading through the Wiki entry on Van Gaal, I saw this bit below. This was more than 10 years ago. Anyone recall this?

Van Gaal stepped down as manager on 31 January 2002 to be replaced by Dick Advocaat. After this, speculation began that Van Gaal would succeed Alex Ferguson at Manchester United once Ferguson claimed he would retire that year. According to Van Gaal, Ferguson decided against retiring and the deal fell through.

I'm struggling to see what the big deal about Pochettino is.
He's spent as much as us,Arsenal and Everton and yet has been lauded for guiding them to a mid table finish whilst having the benefits of having no European distraction.
He's all a bit meh to me anyways.

Hmm. He did start from a slightly lower base...

Yeah right. Most managers would snap their hand off if offered the job.

Not necessarily. Klopp doesn't want it. I'm not sure Simeone will either. I'm sure there's some who'll take it on of course. Hopefully Sam Allardyce or Harry Redknapp.

xldwzb.jpg

Could see problems with Van Gaal and Rooney, Van Persie would be his number 1 striker and he would surely have the sense to play Mata in his best position, where would that leave Rooney?

I'm struggling to see what the big deal about Pochettino is.
He's spent as much as us,Arsenal and Everton and yet has been lauded for guiding them to a mid table finish whilst having the benefits of having no European distraction.
He's all a bit meh to me anyways.

I am wondering the same thing. Southampton are just 3 points about Newcastle and Newcastle have lost their last five games.

Not necessarily. Klopp doesn't want it. I'm not sure Simeone will either. I'm sure there's some who'll take it on of course. Hopefully Sam Allardyce or Harry Redknapp.

I said most, not all. United's pulling power is still huge but they might still struggle to find a proper manager as there just doesn't seem to be that many big names on the market.

I do think Simeone could be tempted to take the job as he's probably taken Atletico as far as he can. He would be a risky choice though and can't see Utd going that route.

That would be nice, gerry, but I can't see it.
It's a huge business more than a club and that business model is based on repeated success and the money out brings in on a regular and consistent basis. A couple of seasons outside the top four and things take a big turn for the worse for them. I think they'll throw serious money at a new manager who is unlikely to be Ryan.

I'm not so sure. He hasn't posted for a while now.

They've surely now ruled out the option of trying anyone who might need time. So that limits them to going from one tried and tested figure to the next. That's actually very easy to sympathise with, given the size of the club, but it's incredibly ironic that they should commit to that just when Rodgers has defied convention in such spectacular fashion.

I think they'll get the experienced head in to do the whole ship-steadying thing for a couple of years, get them back in the CL etc. Then they'll try to appoint another long term manager from a more stable position, perhaps someone like Klopp or Martinez or whoever's hot property by then.

I'm really not. Punctuation should be correct more often than not regardless of context, but the one time people should place a comma or full stop in is when writing something funny.

Timing is all in comedy, a comma creates the timing.

It may be anal, but it does actually matter.

I'm really not. Punctuation should be correct more often than not regardless of context, but the one time people should place a comma or full stop in is when writing something funny.

I read the last sentence first.

Nothing like getting a colon stuffed up in the wrong position.

Agree 100%, which is why I'm a tad surprised you use one in the middle of the first sentence/para.without any connecting word, which isn't strictly grammatical. :p

Agree 100%, which is why I'm a tad surprised you use one in the middle of the first sentence/para.without any connecting word, which isn't strictly grammatical. :p

Not all grammatical rules are 'strict' though. This is such a case for me. If the sentence is long enough, conjunction or not, I think a pause should be indicated. There are lots of writers out there who would agree.

I disregard comma's generally. Prefering instead to use a hyphen to indicate a pause. That is common in screen plays though.

I disregard comma's generally. Prefering instead to use a hyphen to indicate a pause. That is common in screen plays though.

It has become increasingly common in academic writing to use a long hyphen, though generally to replace a semi-colon rather than a comma. What the poor old semi-colon did to deserve this I'm not sure.

Not all grammatical rules are 'strict' though. This is such a case for me. If the sentence is long enough, conjunction or not, I think a pause should be indicated. There are lots of writers out there who would agree.

It's a hangover from secondary school, we had an English teacher who beat comma usage in long sentences into us, whether they needed them or not.

Well in screenplays a hyphen generally replaces a comma and writing the word 'beat' indicates a longer pause. I realise that has nothing to do with anything really - Just sharing. It's to do with timing the dialogue.

Oh and I always had no real clue how to use a semi-colon - Or as @cloggypop has just pointed out, apostrophe's......

Fair enough, but I'd respectfully take issue with them. Separating two sentences with a comma is a no-no for me. Depending on the context, if I were their editor I'd either ask them to find another way of marking the pause or turn such a sentence into two sentences, as they probably should have been in the first place if the comma seems necessary.

Back
Top Bottom