• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Mo Salah’s Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's be honest, if PSG offered between £80-100m, how many of us would sell? Before someone asks where I get my value from, I am using Harry Kane as the yard stick here.
I’d reluctantly sell for 100m, only because I dont trust these owners to improve the squad.

That said I don’t see there being anyone who would/could pay that for him plus cover his wages.

Definitely much better but he has been poor for most the season rarely making a difference. We could could point to other issues afflicting team— somebody up thread rightly mentioned the poor quality of the final ball— but we’d not be in this disruption had he been moved consistent this term.

Well done him.
Again this is a lazy view. He’s made the difference so many times and significantly more than anyone else in our team.

Definitely much better but he has been poor for most the season rarely making a difference. We could could point to other issues afflicting team— somebody up thread rightly mentioned the poor quality of the final ball— but we’d not be in this disruption had he been moved consistent this term.

We’ll done him.

He is carrying this team in a season where every single one of the outfield players have hit a mental and physical wall after losing out on the quadruple at the death.
The big difference being while others have actually ‘fallen off a cliff’ see Fabhino and Henderson etc, Salah’s ‘lower level’ after last season has been extraordinary when you see the shite served up around him.
If anything this season only highlights how insanely good he is.

Late equaliser away to Fulham first game of the season.
Pulled a goal back away to Utd at 0-2.
Set up both goals at home to Newcastle including a very late winner 2-1.
Opened the scoring in a must win CL game vs Ajax
Set up the first comeback goal when 0-2 down vs Brighton at home.
Winner at home to City.
Opener away to Ajax.
Equaliser vs Leeds at home.
Crucial late opener against Napoli in the CL win.
Both goals away to Spurs in a 2-1 win.
Scored equaliser away to City in the cup.
Opener away to Villa in the league win and set up the second.
Scored to put us ahead vs Wolves in the cup.
Set up the opener in the cup against Brighton.
Scored the opener in the derby.
Set up the first and scored the second at home to Real Madrid.
Scored our equaliser away to City.
Started the comeback at home to Arsenal.
Winner against Forrest.
Winning goal vs Fulham.
Winning goal vs Brentford.

To say he hasn’t carried this team or done the lions share of scoring the important goals when we needed him more often than not and more often than everyone else combined this season is lazy and not a reflection of reality.

Absolutely he could have done more which is true of every player ever. Absolutely he’s not the same player he once was. But this version of Salah is the least of our concerns and is worth every penny.
We have one of the most recognisable names in world football and he’s still banging in the goals and assists in an apparently awful ‘dropped off a cliff’ season.
Jesus Wept.

Prove it and remember that everyone else is so much less than him.
I just did above. Look at how often he has made the difference in games this season and then ask yourself if saying he seldom made the difference is a lazy view? It’s simply not true or even remotely close to the truth.
Would it have been better if we won us even more games? Sure. Would it have been better if he was skinning players time and time again? Sure. Would it have been better if his link up play was with two brand new signings learning the LFC way was better? Sure. None of that means he’s had a poor season or didn’t influence games positively more than anyone else.
His numbers are insane considering the shite everyone else has served up all season bar Allison.

it pains me to say it, but I agree with dreamy when it comes to Salah. He's not torturing teams the same way he has done in the past, but he repeatedly has done the business in terms of goals and assists. If some of his peers were finding the onion bag with his regularity we would be flying.

I've been begging Salah to hit some form all season. A purple patch I said, would probably get us 4th. Too little, too late.

Now that the rest of the team is more sorted, we brought Gakpo in, etc. etc. he has some sort of platform and his form has improved. That for me, is not carrying the team.

I've been begging Salah to hit some form all season. A purple patch I said, would probably get us 4th. Too little, too late.

Now that the rest of the team is more sorted, we brought Gakpo in, etc. etc. he has some sort of platform and his form has improved. That for me, is not carrying the team.
Apart from all the examples I’ve laid out above I’m not sure how someone who’s scores 33% of all our goals and had 25% of all our assists cannot be classified as carrying the team.

If we don't get top 4, the last place we should be looking at to scapegoat is Salah....don't you think?

No player should ever even be made to "carry a team", every player gets paid well to contribute and help towards our ambition.

Salah and Alisson are the only 2 who can hold their hands up and say they did that.

Last edited:
I don't scapegoat Salah, I ask more of him because he's one of our best players, and this whole debate for me was centered around the question of whether we should keep him or not, given our needs.

Allison is the only player we've had all season that has shown any degree of consistency. That's not just my opinion, it's Klopps. If Salah has had consistent form all season and carried us through the bad times, why did Klopp take pains to address the difficulties he had in playing in a new look forward line that wasn't as productive for him? Why did he only have 7 league goals halfway through the season?

Salah is doing much better now, but for me showed no adaptability or leadership when asked to do some stuff he'd rather not do as much. When the goals weren't coming, and we weren't playing well, I think he was often detrimental to the team. For me, that isn't carrying a team, but rather amplifying both strengths and weaknesses. Which is fair enough, many strikers are like that. Most of them. On the range of "sulky cunt" to "finds a way" Salah is better than most, but is also still a human. I'm only pushing back on the idea that he has "carried the team this season" because it was introduced by someone else.

I never was interested in having a discussion about whether Salah was good, nor a revisiting of that discussion every time he fucking scored a goal, missed a penalty or played a game. I am not particularly interested in assigning blame for a season where there's plenty to go around, and much of it has to go the players that weren't here, rather than those that are. He has limitations, he has many strengths. We've found a way for one of best players to play better, and he's also playing better. I don't think he found that way himself.

You could say the same of Trent, but both of these shifts involve us having other players in. Gakpo's introduction for instance has solved so much, and involved Gakpo changing his game and learning very quickly.

Last edited:
I don't scapegoat Salah, I ask more of him because he's one of our best players, and this whole debate for me was centered around the question of whether we should keep him or not, given our needs.

Allison is the only player we've had all season that has shown any degree of consistency. That's not just my opinion, it's Klopps. If Salah has had consistent form all season and carried us through the bad times, why did Klopp take pains to address the difficulties he had in playing in a new look forward line that wasn't as productive for him? Why did he only have 7 league goals halfway through the season?

Salah is doing much better now, but for me showed no adaptability or leadership when asked to do some stuff he'd rather not do as much. When the goals weren't coming, and we weren't playing well, I think he was often detrimental to the team. For me, that isn't carrying a team, but rather amplifying both strengths and weaknesses. Which is fair enough, many strikers are like that. Most of them. On the range of "sulky cunt" to "finds a way" Salah is better than most, but is also still a human. I'm only pushing back on the idea that he has "carried the team this season" because it was introduced by someone else.

I never was interested in having a discussion about whether Salah was good, nor a revisiting of that discussion every time he fucking scored a goal, missed a penalty or played a game. I am not particularly interested in assigning blame for a season where there's plenty to go around, and much of it has to go the players that weren't here, rather than those that are. He has limitations, he has many strengths. We've found a way for one of best players to play better, and he's also playing better. I don't think he found that way himself.

You could say the same of Trent, but both of these shifts involve us having other players in. Gakpo's introduction for instance has solved so much, and involved Gakpo changing his game and learning very quickly.
Great post.

Yes he's in great form, and hes our best outfield player this season by absolute miles.

It's almost as if taking that donkey out of the attacking line up has resulted in improved play right across our forward line.

p8423556_b_h9_aa.jpg

PS - I love Darwin

Mo was scoring goals with Darwin too.
Just we have become a little more consistent with midfield less exposed now. If we had brought any average midfielder who could have played those games where Ox and Elliot started then we would be in the top 2 now instead of this apparent folly of Jude chase.

Last edited:
TBF our performances dramatically improved with Jones and Trent joining the midfield, as well as gakpo finding his feet as a false 9. It allowed fabinho to conserve more energy, meaning more effective performances, and allowed hendo to either get a rest or be on the ball less.

A more concrete midfield, backed up by the false 9 allowed our forwards to be in their natural positions, rather than half worrying about putting fires out in mid.

I don't think our performances suffer with Darwin on the pitch, they suffer from the lack of false 9

TBF our performances dramatically improved with Jones and Trent joining the midfield, as well as gakpo finding his feet as a false 9. It allowed fabinho to conserve more energy, meaning more effective performances, and allowed hendo to either get a rest or be on the ball less.

A more concrete midfield, backed up by the false 9 allowed our forwards to be in their natural positions, rather than half worrying about putting fires out in mid.

I don't think our performances suffer with Darwin on the pitch, they suffer from the lack of false 9

We've looked sharper and more coherent with Jota and Gakpo in the front 3 than at any point with Nunez.

We've looked sharper and more coherent with Jota and Gakpo in the front 3 than at any point with Nunez.

That's my point. Jota knows how to work with a false 9 as he's been here for 3 years, whereas when we start Nunez it's either 1) the team doesn't know how to play with a 9, or 2) Nunez doesn't know how to work with the false 9 yet.

Gakpo has come in and hit the ground running because ultimately, he's played across the front 3 for a few years, so is inherently versatile. Nunez is still learning the system, as well as when to press.

Considering he's scored as many as he has when he's been used relatively sparingly, in a dysfunctional team and not knowing how we play; I think there's a lot to be hopeful for

That's my point. Jota knows how to work with a false 9 as he's been here for 3 years, whereas when we start Nunez it's either 1) the team doesn't know how to play with a 9, or 2) Nunez doesn't know how to work with the false 9 yet.

Gakpo has come in and hit the ground running because ultimately, he's played across the front 3 for a few years, so is inherently versatile. Nunez is still learning the system, as well as when to press.

Considering he's scored as many as he has when he's been used relatively sparingly, in a dysfunctional team and not knowing how we play; I think there's a lot to be hopeful for
I actually agree... but, if this forum was anything to go by, "hit the ground running" is a massive stretch.

Like I say, I agree

Did you actually watch any of those 7 games though?

The signs of class was there....the link up play was there....the elegant touches were there, he wasn't just some smuck that looked out of pace, physically inept etc.

Did you actually watch any of those 7 games though?

The signs of class was there....the link up play was there....the elegant touches were there, he wasn't just some smuck that looked out of pace, physically inept etc.
I watch every game. He was completely fucking rubbish first 3 games then slowly improved. He looked completely out of place in the EPL.

It's amazing to think that if he didn't dribble into blind alleys or shoot from stupid angles with others in better position, he'd probably have 30+ assists a season.

It's amazing to think that if he didn't dribble into blind alleys or shoot from stupid angles with others in better position, he'd probably have 30+ assists a season.

That cross for Curtis was a different level.

In contrast to his tame attempts on goal. It's like he's become a different player. He just needs to embrace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom