• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Manchester United v Liverpool - Match Thread - FA Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt he'll go regardless.
When he was at Dortmund where the board kept selling his best talents and after an awful season he left. He has come to Liverpool and going by his tone he was been let down by the board last season for not investing. This season has been extraordinary, I am guessing he expected the board to find the funds from somewhere to get his chosen targets.

We’re back into this stupid argument about money. A whole year without fans has absolutely killed us financially. FSG won’t invest on short term assets like players. They’ve never done that and never will. We are expected to be self sufficient.

We’re back into this stupid argument about money. A whole year without fans has absolutely killed us financially. FSG won’t invest on short term assets like players. They’ve never done that and never will. We are expected to be self sufficient.
I'm not mad at FSG. I'm mad at FFP being a farce. That a few clubs can spend no matter what and through this shit the rich will be able to pull away. Its like what is happening throughout the real world and its depressing. The poor people couldn't live with the reaction to covid. In comparison to our expectations, we are a poor club. So, its a possibility we don't recover. At least we had the last couple years.

I'm not mad at FSG. I'm mad at FFP being a farce. That a few clubs can spend no matter what and through this shit the rich will be able to pull away. Its like what is happening throughout the real world and its depressing. The poor people couldn't live with the reaction to covid. In comparison to our expectations, we are a poor club. So, its a possibility we don't recover. At least we had the last couple years.

Yep. City and Chelsea will pump in “Covid equity” or some bullshit to compensate loss of match day income. We aren’t so fortunate.

It's worse knowing it's down to money, we have plenty of it, and won't fucking spend it on the most obvious weakness in the entire Premier league.

Shortsighted and kicking everyone associated with Liverpool in the balls. It's not even a saving grace that they are royally kicking themselves in the balls, risking our greatest asset, Klopp.

I made the point before we clinched the league last season, but hardly anyone wanted to know. Defending a title is UNBELIEVABLY hard. Everyone ups their game, the media turns even a draw into a major disaster, the fans go paranoid, the hype goes through the roof - and that's in a normal season. You just HAVE to strengthen your squad, you HAVE to make the signings that really leave your rivals gutted, or else...they creep up. We can't ignore the huge financial problems that covid etc has caused, and it's only right that FSG is trying to be prudent, but - this is what happens if you don't respond.

I can understand FSG not wanting to buy a replacement for Lovren before the season started but once Van Dijk and Gomez got long term injuries and Matip predictably had regular minor injuries they surely had to make funds available to Klopp. If only to ensure their own investment and maintain our top four place. It doesn't look like they will spend so we're stuck with what we have.

I made the point before we clinched the league last season, but hardly anyone wanted to know. Defending a title is UNBELIEVABLY hard. Everyone ups their game, the media turns even a draw into a major disaster, the fans go paranoid, the hype goes through the roof - and that's in a normal season. You just HAVE to strengthen your squad, you HAVE to make the signings that really leave your rivals gutted, or else...they creep up. We can't ignore the huge financial problems that covid etc has caused, and it's only right that FSG is trying to be prudent, but - this is what happens if you don't respond.
Whilst it is absolutely correct to say we should have invested I find it a bit off to say 'I told you so' because no one was that prescient to foresee the plethora of injuries, and especially those season ending injuries to VvD and Gomez, which have caused havoc in the team from back to front. Without though injuries I have no doubt we'd be top of the table and no one would be making that claim.

It isn't about being hard to retain the title, if anything this season, with all challengers having been so inconsistent, it would have been easier - without our luck being trampled on by a herd of wild horses.

Whilst it is absolutely correct to say we should have invested I find it a bit off to say 'I told you so' because no one was that prescient to foresee the plethora of injuries, and especially those season ending injuries to VvD and Gomez, which have caused havoc in the team from back to front. Without though injuries I have no doubt we'd be top of the table and no one would be making that claim.

It isn't about being hard to retain the title, if anything this season, with all challengers having been so inconsistent, it would have been easier - without our luck being trampled on by a herd of wild horses.

In the summer, while there was happiness in Lovren being sold, there was a little bit of nervousness expressed by some of the posters that we are taking an unnecessary risk by not bringing anyone in. Given how injury-prone Matip and Gomez are, and given the fact that Lovren as a fourth choice CB has played a decent number of games in the previous season, it was still an unnecessary risk.

I don't think it is just about the defense. We just don't have enough backup to challenge Mane, Salah, Firmino. Jota was a huge step in the right direction. But Shaq, Minanimo, Origi have all disappointed in the last 18 months. We are unable to give the big three rest to recharge their batteries and also give them a push to keep them on their toes. There really isn't quality competition upfront.

We are starting to see the same issues at fullback also. Neco and Tsimikas arent good enough to challenge and rest Robertson and TAA.

But what about before Covid? We’ve had the same issues for a couple years now and since VVD and Alisson were brought in can’t point to any proper investment in the squad.

Covid is unfortunate for sure but this has been building for a while and everyone has been hoping for some Mbappe style payoff that was never coming.

In the summer, while there was happiness in Lovren being sold, there was a little bit of nervousness expressed by some of the posters that we are taking an unnecessary risk by not bringing anyone in. Given how injury-prone Matip and Gomez are, and given the fact that Lovren as a fourth choice CB has played a decent number of games in the previous season, it was still an unnecessary risk.

I don't think it is just about the defense. We just don't have enough backup to challenge Mane, Salah, Firmino. Jota was a huge step in the right direction. But Shaq, Minanimo, Origi have all disappointed in the last 18 months. We are unable to give the big three rest to recharge their batteries and also give them a push to keep them on their toes. There really isn't quality competition upfront.

We are starting to see the same issues at fullback also. Neco and Tsimikas arent good enough to challenge and rest Robertson and TAA.
I don't disagree with any of that.

However that wasn't really my point. It was that the injuries we have suffered this season are not only insurmountable but were unforeseeable and therefore crowing about how prescient someone was is illogical because his claim is based on different circumstances that have nothing to do with our horrendous injury crisis.

As for the transfer failures I was also vocal about having to replace Lovren and not replacing him was clearly a mistake (as virtually everyone on 6CM said at the time) but the lack of impact by Minamino and Tsimikas is simply unfortunate. It happens.

But we can't ignore the fact that the lack of crowds has affected disposable income. It's not as if there was no investment at all, the transfers of Jota and Thiago have been widely applauded. That said we can't realistically expect the club to go out and cover every position needing reinforcements in one Covid affected window. We had to place some trust in youngsters too, which has been borne out in Jones' case.

But what about before Covid? We’ve had the same issues for a couple years now and since VVD and Alisson were brought in can’t point to any proper investment in the squad.

Covid is unfortunate for sure but this has been building for a while and everyone has been hoping for some Mbappe style payoff that was never coming.

Vvd and allison may not have been brought without coutinho ... Barcelona idiocy or edwards brilliance was key in us creating this spine ...

Can't believe people are questioning Klopp now, after a series of poor results, as if nobody suffers from it. I've seen this pattern emerge too many times. GH, Rafa, and then Brodge - to some extent. And hey...Ole faced public stoning more than a few times....and now, top of the table...wtf....so there you go.

This is one of the reasons i hate the game. It's all me me me, now now now.

If anyone fails to see that injuries are the main cause this season - then nobody can help you cuz you blinddddd as a bat.

And btw, it's only the world up in flames with covids for the 2nd year in a row. So yeah, no biggie. BAU.

Last edited:
Can't believe people are questioning Klopp now, after a series of poor results, as if nobody suffers from it. I've seen this pattern emerge too many times. GH, Rafa, and then Brodge - to some extent. And hey...Ole faced public stoning more than a few times....and now, top of the table...wtf....so there you go.

This is one of the reasons i hate the game. It's all me me me, now now now.

If anyone fails to see that injuries are the main cause this season - then nobody can help you cuz you blinddddd as a bat.

And btw, it's only the world up in flames with Covid19 for the 2nd year in a row. So yeah, no biggie. BAU.

Injuries are part of it ...
So are dodgy var calls.
But injuries are part of the game, and mistakes have to be questioned... those of us who are frustrated dont want klopp fired, it's just hes part of the machine. He gets all the praise, with edwards and the staff, when we do well. Criticism where he is to blame (or edwards/fsg) is as valid.
His frustration at not being given a cb now may unfortunately be the first signs of a manager who is tiring of a reality where unless you're perfect, theres no competing with the cheating oil rich cunts who can bend the rules as they see fit

Quite simply we took a risk that we could sell both our 4th choice CB and most promising youth CB (Hoever) to finance an attacker. You can bet the risk of injuries were highlighted and acknowledged. If the anwser was 'a new 4th choice CB or Jota' i think there would have been uproar if we'd gone with a CB (and might arguably be even worse of).

It still suck massive balls though - but that is the crux of it (in my view).

Add to that our better players being off form and it is an awful mix.

There's always going to be compromises with frugal ownership. Klopp gambled and it backfired spectacularly due to gross misfortune with injuries. Long term Thiago and Jota will certainly prove excellent transfers.

It's hard to judge whether we should bring someone in without knowing what the market or our finances, but it would be disappointing if we were not trying to at least sign a free agent or loan deal. We've known about Gomez and VVD for some time so I'm surprised there are not better plans in place for this window.

Even a fast championship level CB would be preferable to the current options.

Failing to secure top four would be embarrassing, even with the injuries. The club cannot allow that to happen.

There's always going to be compromises with frugal ownership. Klopp gambled and it backfired spectacularly due to gross misfortune with injuries. Long term Thiago and Jota will certainly prove excellent transfers.

It's hard to judge whether we should bring someone in without knowing what the market or our finances, but it would be disappointing if we were not trying to at least sign a free agent or loan deal. We've known about Gomez and VVD for some time so I'm surprised there are not better plans in place for this window.

Even a fast championship level CB would be preferable to the current options.

Failing to secure top four would be embarrassing, even with the injuries. The club cannot allow that to happen.

The club is very much allowing that to happen, both Gomez and VvD got injured months ago and it was extremely unlikely either would play any meaningful part in the remainder of this season. The club knew that there was only so long we could rely on Matip, and to be honest at some point Fabinho is likely to get a knock or need a rest. The title defence is gone now but the season is salvageable with a decent CB coming in and Jota returning from injury.

I think the club has decided to write off this season and look at the summer as a rebuilding window.

Tsimikas was a bad buy. At 24 he still looks a project and I'd rather have bought a 4th choice CB than him. I'm much more comfortable with a midfielder or a youngster at LB than at CB. Its a shame Koumetio got injured too as his physical traits puts him ahead of Rhys and Phillips imo. Elliot shouldn't have been loaned out either. So, there is a lot of blame to go around on the personnel side.

HOWEVER, I think our improved defensive record and initial run of good form after the injury has caused everyone to under estimate the effect of losing VVD.

On set pieces he is the most dominant force and means everyone on the team faces that player one level worse than they are currently on set pieces. Our threat on set pieces, which once was a strength, is gone and we are totally exposed defending them. He meant we recycled the ball better and justified the high line. We are now completely vulnerable when we attack.

He is also our teams most important leader. He is the one with the aura and supreme confidence ... Everyone admires and loves him. They get confidence from him. If and when he comes back at 100% we'll be back to the top or close to it.

If we are in the CL next year I'll be happy. But if not we'll definitely win the league (if he's back 100%). I am so frustrated with what has happened. But I can still look forward optimistically to an opening day next year with Allison in net, VVD at CB, and Fabinho at DM.

With all that being said, I'd still like Klopp to look back into his managerial experience at Mainz. And his true sentiment that a team can overcome one with more talent by working harder and smarter. We are still playing like we are vastly superior. That we can beat teams with possession and control like we did last year. Lets be more solid, defend as a unit, press and attack in numbers... Gegenpress. Its actually how Utd are playing to be top of the table. We no longer have VVD, we have a Maguire or lesser level player. Lets adjust and see what we can do.

Agree on your last point. Klopps failure to innovate and respond our game to the loss of Gomez and VVD has been disappointing. We're just moving players around with mixed, but largely disappointing results. Yesterday was an improvement in some regards. The press was back working, but we lacked the athleticism needed for the defensive cover. The problem is a United fixture is always an anomaly; the players will always up our intensity against United. Whether we sustain it against West Ham is anyone's guess.

I strongly suspect we would be a stronger position if, upon the loss of Gomez, we decisively moved to a 4-2-3-1, and played a more settled side. Easy to say with hindsight, but I would suggest that losing all of your CB's requires more thought than just lumping the midfield there and playing the same game. It's the stuff of a hungover FM manager player.

Most of us, if not all, are forced to be frugal because of the global pandemic. Yes, even the 'top, top investors'.

So what makes us think our owners are any different ? We're not as rich as the scums and the chavs, and that's why we've got minds like Edwards and Klopp who know how to squeeze every penny and make the most out of it. It's just how we roll. Some of you young 'uns don't know what it was like under David Moores or maybe G&H.

Yes, the yanks can do better and its silly to go through the season without a replacement CB. Klopp was right to voice his frustrations. Selling Lovren looks like a mistake now too.

But there's still a lot of games to play and i'm definitely not giving up yet. Have a moan, fine. Lambast the players if they need a kick up their arses. But we're still a team and i'll still be rallying behind Klopp and the lads, even if my interest in footy has waned. And while we're at it, spare a thought for Lamps too down in London. Things could have been a lot worse xx

Owners are too buys taking their company public.

Wouldn't want to add numbers on the wrong side, making the deal look worse maybe?

I did'nt understand the subs' myself... Bobby was beginning to show sparks of his old form, and Thiago playing well. For me it should have been Milner and Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom