• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Loan Players Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sheyi Ojo started the match with Wilson before coming off in the 79th min.

Harvey Elliot played the full match in Blackburn's 3-1 defeat to Watford.

Ben Woodburn featured for 68 mins as Blackpool lost 1-0 to Charlton.

Taiwo Awoniyi came on as a sub in the 67th min as Union Berlin drew 1-1 with Schalke.

Kamil Grabara kept his first cleansheet for AGF, who beat AC Horsens 3-0.

Karius and Grujic did not feature.

Adam Lewis (averaging 74 mins per game) seems to be doing well at Amiens, although the team is placed 16 out of 20.
adam lewis.jpg

Tony Gallacher (averaging 39 mins per game) has yet to cement a starting position at Toronto FC.
gallacher.jpg

Unfortunately, Morgan Boyes isn't getting games at Fleetwood.

You really wouldn't want to be an Amiens fan would you - scored 3 goals in 7 matches with those matches averaging 1 goal a game !

[article]Harry Wilson has two main objectives this season: help Cardiff City win promotion to the Premier League and play for Wales at next summer's European Championship.

It's always useful to set yourself goals, though the attacking midfielder on loan from Liverpool has stronger incentives than most for his.

The last time he was vying for promotion from the Championship he missed out in agonising fashion, losing in the 2019 play-off final while on loan at Derby County.

And the last time Wales were at a major tournament at Euro 2016, Wilson was in France but there as a fan, three years after becoming his country's youngest senior international.

Over the next nine months, the 23-year-old hopes to address both those gaps in his CV.

"That's definitely the aim for me," Wilson says of his two targets.

"It's something I set myself going over to France in 2016 as a fan - I was desperate to make sure the next time it came around I was there as a player.

"I managed to play my part in the qualifiers to get us there [Euro 2020]. We had the disappointment of it getting delayed this year but next year, as a team and an individual, I'll be raring to go.

"As many games I can get and as many goals I can score with Cardiff will help me get there.

"In my last Championship season I had the disappointment of missing out at the final hurdle, losing in the play-off final, so personally I'm desperate to go one step further."

Wilson has certainly started as he means to go on, scoring on his first start for Cardiff in Wednesday's draw against his former club Bournemouth.

Cardiff are the fifth side Wilson has joined on loan from Liverpool, an increasingly common story for young players pushed to the fringes at top clubs.

Wilson is particularly eager to play regularly in order to further his international prospects.

He is a well-established member of Wales' squad with 19 caps and three goals to his name but, with the likes of Gareth Bale, Aaron Ramsey, David Brooks and Daniel James vying for the same positions as him, competition for first-team places is fierce.

So for Wilson it is vital he plays. Having impressed on loan in the Championship with Hull City and Derby, the North Walian spent last season in the Premier League with Bournemouth and scored seven goals.

He was then linked with a permanent move to Burnley, so there were a few raised eyebrows on transfer deadline day last Friday when Cardiff managed to sign Wilson on a season-long loan.

"I feel this season was a massive one for me. I knew personally I had to get the games and the minutes that I wanted and, at Liverpool, I felt I wasn't going to get that," Wilson explains.

"So I wouldn't say I was desperate to get out but I was really keen to rack up the appearances and minutes that I wanted.

"When I sat down with my agent and discussed the teams that were in for me, we thought Cardiff would be a good fit.

"You look around the stadium here and quality of players, it's a Premier League club. I'm desperate to play my part in getting us back up there."

Cardiff were promoted to the Premier League in 2018 but lasted just a single season before dropping back down to the Championship.

Several other clubs wanted to sign Wilson on deadline day, with Derby, Nottingham Forest, Reading and Cardiff's arch rivals Swansea City also vying for his signature.

Wilson chose Cardiff and, having discussed his options with Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp, he feels he made the right choice in leaving the Premier League champions.

"I spoke with Jurgen at the beginning of the season and I let him know that I wanted to be playing football and he agreed," Wilson says.

"He said a player at the stage of my career now, he knew I had to be playing and with the quality of the squad they've got at Liverpool I wasn't going to get the minutes I needed.

"So as soon as I had that chat with him, I knew we were both on the same page and then it was all about finding a club that would take me and where I would feel I could show people the type of football I like to play.

"I'm here at Cardiff now and I'm desperate to get them in the Premier League."[/article]

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-talking-points-watford-19145189
[article]Elliott and Nyambe's partnership

There's a great deal of expectancy on Elliott's shoulders and it's so easy to forget that he's only 17.

Even so, for a Championship debut he more than held his own and you would be forgiven for thinking he was a seasoned veteran given the manner in which he strutted his stuff.

Mowbray spoke of his partnership with Armstrong and how that will wreak havoc in the Championship over the coming months, but it was his relationship with Ryan Nyambe on the right flank that impressed me.

The pair telepathically manoeuvred around each other in attack and Ken Sema was in urgent need of extra support as Elliott and Nyambe connected on several occasions. Even defensively, Elliott was attendant to his defensive duties and helped his full-back whenever possible.

Tyrhys Dolan has been excellent in his movement and positioning to allow Nyambe the space to explore moving forward and Elliott has only built on that. Given the duo have only been training together for two days, it's a relationship that has the potential to blossom over the coming weeks and that will be a significant boost for Rovers' attacking exploits.[/article]

Last edited:
Good for Ojo to impress and increase his valuation.

Awoniyi came on as a sub for the last 20+mins. Karius missing due to injury.

Kamil Grabara started his 3rd game for AGF Aarhus. They conceded an early penalty 7 mins into the game and went down to 10 men at the 61st min.

[article]The Harvey Elliott critics who emerged to scoff at his loan move to Blackburn Rovers were silenced once more after the teenager produced another impressive display during a convincing 4-0 victory over Coventry City.

Elliott retained his place in Tony Mowbray's starting XI and proved to be a thorn in the Coventry defence, his technical ability causing Ryan Giles persistent problems down the right flank.

The 17-year-old was given the freedom to drift inside at will and his selflessness enabled Joe Rankin-Costello the time and space to deliver from right-back, which created an additional element to Rovers' attacking play.

His performance was rewarded in the second-half when an exquisite counter-attack allowed Ben Brereton to square it across to where Elliott was waiting to pounce and the forward had the composure to bend his effort beyond the outstretched body of Marko Marosi.

And with Rovers oozing control, Elliott capped off a tremendous day at the office as he chalked up an assist after sending an inviting cross over to Sam Gallagher, who thundered the ball in for a fourth and put the icing on an impressive day for Tony Mowbray's side.

Mowbray was still ranting and raving after the fourth, urging his side to press and win the ball back and it's something Elliott has learnt to love in a short space of time, with the forward grateful for Mowbray and his welcoming personality as he settles into the club.

"He's a very good manager," gleamed the teenage sensation. "He's always onto everyone but in a positive way, and that's what you need from a manager just to keep everyone on their toes, to keep you working.

"Even when we're 4-0 up, straight from kick-off he's telling us to press and win the ball back and I think that tells you what sort of man he is.

"He just wants us to keep pushing and not ease off so to have him as a manager is a really good help."

So now Elliott is off the mark on the goals and assists leaderboard. If you think it's getting to his head, you couldn't be any further from the truth.

The Liverpool starlet was delighted to get on the scoresheet but insisted he was just happy to play his part in an excellent team performance.

"The main result is the key thing here," Elliott said after the game. "I was just happy to score and contribute to the win. Hopefully it's the first of many but I'm just excited to see what happens really.

"It's only the beginning, I have a long way to go. I'm taking it day by day and hopefully I can put in the performances in training and in matches to show people what I can do.

"Once we went 1-0 up, (we were) not comfortable but we were able to play our football and keep it ticking and then we killed them off.

"A couple of us had a fair few chances that we should have put away but thankfully we put them away in the second-half.

"It just shows you what this team has. It has a lot of creative players, a lot of technical players as well and it was a good goal.

"It can be harder as teams sit back, they protect the goal which makes them harder to break down. In all fairness they done it well in the first-half but like every team would they got lucky and we were able to kill them off.

"Everyone has a lot of fun in this team. I think we all play together, we all want to give each other opportunities and there's an unselfishness in this team but working hard comes with it as well.

"The main goal for me this season is to get the team nearest to promotion really, I think that's my main goal.

"Help the team and I think Blackburn deserve to be in the Premier League, it's a great club with great players and even against Watford we proved the quality we have in the team and they're a decent side as well."

Asked whether he'd had any contact from Liverpool the past week, Elliott admitted his parent club have been monitoring each day and has even had some kind words from team-mates.

"They're always messaging me everyday," he added. "After every training session, after every game they're messaging me.

"I still got messages off the players saying good luck, hope you're well, miss you and stuff like that. So to have them message me is a boost for me as well."[/article]

[article]Liverpool attacker Harvey Elliott is “bringing the Championship to light” while on loan at Blackburn Rovers, according to Noel Whelan.

The former Leeds United striker, speaking exclusively to Football Insider correspondent Dylan Childs, hailed the impact of the 17-year-old at Ewood Park after he enjoyed a “dream start” in blue and white.

Elliott contributed a goal and an assist in a 4-0 thrashing of Coventry on Saturday on what was only his second appearance for Tony Mowbray’s side.

The highly-rated attacking midfielder joined Blackburn on a season-long loan deal earlier this month, Jurgen Klopp keen for the teenager to taste regular first team football.

Whelan believes that Ewood Park is the ideal place for Elliott to develop this season.

“When you have got a player is of that age, there is nothing better than getting him first team action in a very competitive league like the Championship,” he told Football Insider.

“Blackburn is the perfect place for him, not far from Liverpool and with a good manager at the helm in Tony Mowbray.

“The style of play will suit Elliott and Liverpool. Blackburn are a a good footballing side.

“It is not far for Liverpool to keep tabs and go and watch him. That is what it is all about when you are trying to bring these young players through. Let’s not forget that he is still very, very young.

“He is bringing the Championship to light. What a dream start. A goal and an assist.

He has nothing to prove to Liverpool because they know how good he is. They are just nurturing his progression.

“There is no doubt about it, he will have a lot more games to play for Liverpool if he carries on this way.”[/article]

[article]Cardiff City boss Neil Harris believes Liverpool loanee Harry Wilson has been a "breath of fresh air" as the Welshman prepares to face his former club Derby County.

The Rams were believed to be interested in signing the Wales international, which was unsurprising given his exceptional loan spell at Pride Park two years ago, which led to them eventually losing out to Aston Villa in the Championship play-off final at Wembley.

But it was Cardiff who eventually beat Derby, and a number of other Championship rivals, to the punch by sealing his signature this season in a huge transfer coup.

He has started his life as a Bluebird well, netting on his first start in the draw against another of his former clubs, Bournemouth, last week and City fans will be desperate to see him kick on, knowing what he can do in this division.

But, away from the playing pitch, Harris has said the forward has been a joy to watch on the training ground and his ability is clear to see every day.

"He had a great loan spell – he scored a lot of goals at Derby a couple of years ago," Harris said of Wilson.

"But you're probably also doing his loan spell last season a bit of an injustice, scoring seven or eight goals in the Premier League for a team that was relegated.

"He's had two great spells and he started very well for us as well.

"He creates chances, great free-kick deliveries, great corners, gets lots of shots off and he’s a handful to play against.

"I enjoy seeing him every day in training and he's a real breath of fresh air within the group as well, personality-wise and will just go from strength to strength."

The Bluebirds had been so heavily reliant on Lee Tomlin's creativity last season that having Wilson in the building feels like a huge burden lifted off the former's shoulders.

We are, though, yet to see both players on the pitch at the same time. Arguably two of the most creative players in the entire division.

And Harris highlighted the importance of having two highly-creative players within his ranks as he sets his sights on climbing the ladder in the coming months after a stuttering start to the campaign.

"It’s great to have two players, maverick players, in Lee Tomlin and Harry Wilson, players who play with an air of freedom on the training pitch every day and do things with a football I couldn't do as a player," he added.

"The way they play and the vision they have is phenomenal.

"They just take standards of training up all the time and those players are going to be key to us over the course of a season."

For that to happen, of course, Tomlin will have to be fully fit.

The 31-year-old has struggled at the start of this season owing to a groin injury, missing the weekend's clash against his former manager Neil Warnock and former employees Middlesbrough.

But, in an update which will certainly excite the fans, Harris is hopeful that Tomlin will be fit enough to play some part this week, perhaps even the clash against Derby, and a Wilson-Tomlin partnership could be seen for the first time.[/article]

Elliot provided the assist for Adam Armstrong's equalizer.

Elliot's assist @ 0:30min

Woodburn came off the bench in the 56th min. Blackpool lost 1-0 to AFC Wimbledon and finished the game with 10 men.

Grujic made his first start for Porto and was subbed out at HT as Porto trail Pacos de Ferreira 2-1. They lost 3-2 eventually. 5 points behind leaders Benfica, who have a game in hand.

Awoniyi starts for Union Berlin vs. Hoffenheim. Karius still missing through injury

Adam Lewis on the bench

Last edited:
Cardiff 3-0 Barnsley. I think we can fetch a good fee for Wilson after this season. Besides scoring, he earned the penalty for their 2nd goal.

Earning the penalty @ 0:51 min
Goal @ 1:30 min

Blackburn 0-0 Middlesbrough. Elliot played the full match.

[article]Toronto signed Liverpool defender Tony Gallacher on loan in September after he impressed during a scouting mission for another full-back.

And general manager Ali Curtis has not ruled out landing the 21-year-old Scottish youth international on a permanent deal when the agreement expires next month.

Gallacher joined Toronto midway through the rearranged Major League Soccer [MLS] season - which was halted due to the outbreak of coronavirus - with the regular campaign set to conclude this weekend.

Toronto sit second in the Eastern Conference, level on points with leaders Philadelphia, and face New York Red Bulls in their final game on Sunday.

Gallacher is guaranteed to be part of the squad who appear in the play-offs, which begin on November 20, but Curtis revealed the Liverpool prospect was originally spotted while tracking another target.

Head coach Greg Vanney and British-born director of scouting operations Jack Dodd were searching the under-23 Premier League 2 for potential options after Dodd previously worked as a Liverpool academy scout for five years.

“It wasn’t about just scouting the u-23 Premier League, it was more about, 'What position are we looking at?'" Curtis told MLSsoccer.com.

"We were looking at the full-back position, then through the relationship from our head scout, we got Tony’s name. It was actually through scouting a different player, we saw Tony and thought wow, he’s a talented player who might fit really well.”

Gallacher, who joined Liverpool from Falkirk in 2018, has forced his way into the team under Vanney and started the previous two fixtures.

Curtis, speaking in September, admitted there is potential for him to stay longer in Canada as the MLS becomes a 'destination around the globe'.

“We think there’s a future," he said. "Tony gets an opportunity to experience our environment to see what it’s like, the city, the culture, the league and the tactics.

"At the end of the year if there’s a strong enough relationship with the club and player, we'll have a conversation about what the future looks like.”

Curtis added. "Every year, MLS becomes more of a destination around the globe. We’re a club that has won a lot of different championships with big players, so I think that helps.”

Gallacher made his senior Liverpool debut in the Carabao Cup quarter-final against Aston Villa last season but remained coy about his immediate future.

"For me, right now, I'm thinking about games," he said. "That's what I need. Academy football at Liverpool for me was good for my development but I'm at a point in my career where games is the main thing.

"Right now it's hard to tell the future, what it will hold, because no-one really knows right now. I'm taking it a game at a time, a training session at a time, and I'm just happy to be here getting first-team games and competing for trophies.

"It is something I've not had in a while so I'm really glad to be here."[/article]

Wilson played the full match and Ojo featured for 63 mins as Cardiff lost 1-0 at home to Bristol City

Karius and Awoniyi on the bench for Union Berlin vs. Arminia Bielefeld today. 2-0 after 15 mins.

Elliot starts again for Blackburn

Was wondering why Woodburn hasn't been featuring for Blackpool. Just saw this dated 31 Oct 2020.

[article]Liverpool loanee Ben Woodburn has tested positive for Covid-19, Blackpool FC have announced.

The 21-year-old will subsequently miss today's game against Burton Albion at the Pirelli Stadium and will begin a period of self-isolation.

In a statement, the club said Woodburn had displayed "mild symptoms" of the virus.

"We can confirm that Ben Woodburn has returned a positive test for COVID-19," the club said.

"In line with EFL protocols, the player, who has displayed mild symptoms of the virus, has now entered a period of self-isolation, before being tested again at a later date.

"The club would like to wish Ben a speedy recovery and looks forward to welcoming him back to training in due course."

Woodburn has made three appearances for the Seasiders since joining the club on loan from Liverpool.
[/article]

Mowbray on looking after Harvey Elliott, Liverpool & Rovers
https://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/sport/18872452.mowbray-looking-harvey-elliott-liverpool-rovers
[article]There are plenty of benefits in helping nurture one of the country’s top young talents, but so too a responsibility.

Not 18 until April, Harvey Elliott is dropped off at the club’s Brockhall training base every day, while after each away game, Rovers must ensure a taxi is ready and waiting to pick him up.

Then there’s the educational side of still, technically, being a second-year scholar, with maths and English programmes to complete.
For Tony Mowbray, Elliott speaks the language of football and his numbers on the pitch are certainly stacking up.

‘If you’re good enough you’re old enough’ and ‘age is but a number’ are two of the oldest analogies going. But with Elliott, it is worth reminding yourself how young he is.

Stewart Downing re-signed for Rovers earlier this month, the 36-year-old having made his senior debut for Middlesbrough a year before Elliott was born.

Yet only a month into his time at Ewood Park, his loan move already looks one that will benefit all parties. Liverpool are taking an active interest, unsurprising given what an asset Elliott is, with Jurgen Klopp regularly keeping abreast of his progress by watching online streams, and coaching staff paying regular visits into Mowbray’s office.

On the pitch, Elliott has played every minute of Rovers’ last five fixtures, that owing to his talent on the pitch however, rather than any clauses which means that has to happen.

With a third assist to his name in Rovers’ win over QPR, adding to his goal against Coventry City, Mowbray feels there is even more to come from the teenager.

“I’ve been talking to him and I think he needs to be a bit more selfish in the box,” he said.

“Having spoken to the staff at Liverpool, they feel as if he sees himself as an assist-maker rather than a goalscorer. And ultimately, any top, top player, you have to look at their statistics as the season unfolds. How many assists, how many goals do you get?

“If he is going to play up front for us, at the moment, he’s playing in the front three, if in 20 games, he’s only had three assists and one goal, it’s probably not going to be enough for Liverpool to look at him and think he can come in our team and do this.

“Adam Armstrong has set up three or four but he’s scored 11. Ben Brereton has scored two but he assisted a couple more the other week. So, when you add your assists and goals up you know Harvey is going to want to score more. He’s scored once and he’s got amazing feeling in his feet.”

The likelihood is that Elliott’s time at Ewood Park will be solely for the duration of his season-long loan. Indeed, here is a player who already has seven first-team appearances to his name for the Reds, and were things to have panned out differently with Xherdan Shaqiri in the summer, would still be at Anfield.

Rovers’ relationship with Liverpool has developed closely in recent times, with two friendlies in the past three years, and enquiries having been made about players in windows gone by, such as Curtis Jones. And that’s what gave Rovers the advantage when Liverpool agreed to sanction a move, one Elliott rubber-stamped in a bid to further his experiences.

“We know he’s a Liverpool player and I’m sure he’s going to enjoy his time with our club and develop as a footballer,” Mowbray explained.

“We send players down the leagues to get experience of playing men’s football, of listening to different managers, to feel what it means to the rest of the team to play well and win a game.

“I’m sure he sits there sometimes and thinks this is a million miles away from Liverpool because they never give the ball away, they know when to play forward, their strikers make better runs but he’s a really humble lad, that was my first opinion of him.

“He’s come in, joined in and he is hoping he can help our team win some football matches.”

While there was great excitement among the Rovers fanbase when news broke on deadline day that a deal was being worked on, for outsiders, it brought a great deal of intrigue.

Just how had this come about, and how would someone at such a tender age fare? The early signs on the latter are universally positive, while the former come down to relationships, opportunities, and geography.

“We made contact with Liverpool. We’re in the north west, Man City are in the north west, Man United, Liverpool, it’s important we have contact with those clubs,” Mowbray said.

“I hope Elliott’s with us because Liverpool trust us with their young players.

“Liverpool will watch his games and they will have an opinion and what he needs to work on.

“I’m sure lots of clubs asked about him, but because we’re in the north west he doesn’t have to go and live in digs or stay in a hotel, he can stay at home.”

There will always be intricacies to contend with when discussing any player, but a 17-year-old England youth international on loan from the Premier League champions does add its own details.

They include his educational requirements, as well as his welfare of being 17, but on the football pitch, there are no concerns.

“He’s 17-years-old, he’s an adolescent, yet the talent is there to see,” Mowbray enthused.

And that talent was displayed with his weight of pass to create Rovers’ second goal in the win over QPR, as it was in his assists for Armstrong against Reading and Sam Gallagher at Coventry.

As with any player under Mowbray, they will be required to do the hard yards off the ball, though coming from Liverpool, well known for their pressing game under Klopp, that’s nothing new for the teenager currently away on England Under-19s duty.

On the ball, there is a glint in Mowbray’s eye when it comes to discussing Elliott’s qualities.

“Harvey Elliott just brings a bit of everything. Decision making, weight of pass, when to keep it, when to play forward. Some of the deliveries from set pieces are just begging to be headed or put into the net.

“You can see the quality of the kid. It’s amazing to think he is so young. We are delighted we have him. He’s a really refreshing and nice lad to work with.

“He asks questions.

“He understands football and we are delighted that he’s here.”

Working under Klopp, Elliott will feel ‘safe, according to Mowbray, who says the German’s character that shines through in television interviews is the same in person.

He is certain that in time Elliott will become a huge star for the Reds, but in the meantime, Rovers will look to play a part in nurturing that path, as well as reaping the benefits of his talents.

“Jurgen really likes Harvey Elliott but with total respect we’re talking about the Premier League and European champions and it’s difficult for him to impact on that team at 17,” the Rovers boss said.

“They wanted him to get experience and play on a regular basis which is what we’ll hopefully allow him to do.

“He’ll be a huge asset for Liverpool and I’m sure they wanted to make sure he’ll be in the right environment and if they don’t they’d take him out of it.

“I have to look after Blackburn Rovers but at this moment it’s benefitting all parties for this young boy to be playing in our first-team and affecting results.

“You can see he’s a people person and this young boy will feel very safe in Jurgen’s hands.”

[/article]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom