• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Loan Players Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, they lost 2-1 to Norwich eventually.

Wilson and Ojo also started for Cardiff who lost 2-0 to Swansea

[article]As the current record holder for the youngest ever player to appear in the Premier League and the second youngest to make their competitive debut for Liverpool, Harvey Elliott has carried the weight of expectation for some time now.

Would he succeed? Or would he buckle due to the pressure of the 'wonderkid' label, like so many before him?

In October, the 17-year-old made a surprise loan move to Sky Bet Championship side Blackburn Rovers and it's safe to say he's making waves in Lancashire; with 14 games under his belt in all competitions, Elliott has three goals and five assists to his name.

Ahead of Wednesday's visit of Rotherham to Ewood Park, live on Sky Sports Football Red Button, we take a look at his first two months as part of Tony Mowbray's squad.

How has he been faring so far at Ewood Park?
When Elliott signed his first professional contract with Liverpool in the summer - a year after his high-profile arrival from Fulham - Reds boss Jurgen Klopp talked of a "perfect culture" at the club that would aid Elliott's development.

He'd made eight first-team appearances in 2019/20 - seven of which came before he'd turned 17 - and played just under an hour of the crushing 7-2 win over Lincoln in the Carabao Cup back on September 24, which suggested the plan was working well.

On the day of the domestic transfer deadline, he signed a season-long loan deal and made his debut on October 21, playing the full 90 minutes on the right of a front three as Rovers were beaten 3-1 by Watford at Vicarage Road.

It was three days later he began to show his talents. A goal from Adam Armstrong either side of the break had put Rovers 2-0 up against 10-man Coventry and, just after the hour mark, Elliott swept home his first senior goal to conclude a slick counter, before providing an assist for Sam Gallagher to slot home and round off the win.

Two further assists followed over the next month before he scored a sublime second goal for Rovers in the eventual 2-1 win over Millwall, where he opened his body and curled a sumptuous effort into the top left corner after Armstrong's lay-off.

Against Norwich last weekend, he scored one that was, arguably, even better. Having collected the ball on the right touchline, the teenager cut in off the flank and showed great close control to glide past one defender into the penalty area, skip past the challenge of another and send a composed effort past Canaries 'keeper Michael McGovern.

In terms of goal involvement, Elliott's three goals and four assists put him second in the list of the most creative teenagers in the Championship and, with just one current top six team to play until the visit of Swansea on January 19, he'll be hoping to add to his return over the festive period and into 2021.
Untitled.jpg

What has been said about him?
It's plain to see that Mowbray is a huge admirer of Elliott and the invention he brings to his side.

Following the aforementioned goal against Norwich, he lavished praise on the teenager, saying: "He's a wonderful talent; he's a brilliant individual to work with as well. I tell the team to give him the ball, much like I did with Bradley Dack before he got his injury.

"The special talents in the team are generally the ones who make the right decision with the ball, they make the right decisions. Harvey has assets that Bradley has: that trust when he has the ball. We're delighted to be working with him and I hope that he's enjoying his time here."

The 57-year-old had also previously praised Elliott's versatility, having impressed in several different roles he has been asked to play in the opening few months of his spell in Lancashire.

"Liverpool haven't asked anything about where we play him," he said in November. "I think they trust us to do what's right for us and for him. I think they're just happy that he's getting game time.

"He takes real care of the football and we're trying to utilise the talent that he has in various positions and if that's in and around the box because we are dominating the game and getting in and around their penalty area, then we play him higher.

"But if we want to play him a bit deeper to thread passes through to the top end of the pitch then we can do that and I think a game dictates that really.

"I have no issues in my mind of whether we play him deeper or whether we play him higher because ultimately he's got the talent to adapt and do the job."

And there's a clear mutual respect between Elliott and his temporary manager, too.

The teenager said: "He's a very good manager. He's always onto everyone but in a positive way, and that's what you need from a manager just to keep everyone on their toes, to keep you working.

"Even when we're 4-0 up, straight from kick-off he's telling us to press and win the ball back and I think that tells you what sort of man he is. He just wants us to keep pushing and not ease off, so to have him as a manager is a really good help."

What's the Liverpool view?
Analysis by Sky Sports' Richard Morgan:
Liverpool fans may have been disappointed to see Elliott go out on a season-long loan to Blackburn Rovers in October. But in reality, even with the club's chronic injury problems so far this campaign, the diminutive forward would only have got limited game time at Anfield given Klopp's multitude of world-class options in that area of the field.

Much better to instead get miles in the legs and vital match experience, which is what the 17-year-old has done with great aplomb, impressing everyone with his attitude, how quickly he has adapted to life at Ewood Park and most importantly, what he has actually produced on the pitch.

So what next for Elliott? Well, the England U17 international will definitely be summoned back to Liverpool at the end of his loan spell, with the club's assistant manager Pep Lijnders recently revealing how much the player was "missed".

"I miss him! I would have loved to continue working with him, but it's a good decision of course because he can play many games and he can show what he's really about," said the Dutchman.

And in the long term, Elliott clearly has a bright future at Liverpool, who he signed his first professional contract - that runs until 2023 - with in July.

The problem he will have going forward, though, is trying to force his way into Klopp's first-team plans, given the attacking riches the German has at his disposal.

Luckily for Elliott, however, he is at the very start of his footballing journey and with the world very much at his feet - and in particular, his magical left foot - while a season learning his trade at Blackburn will only serve to broaden his footballing education ahead of a return to Merseyside.

And do not be surprised at all if Elliott is very much a part of the Reds' first-team picture next season.[/article]

This is Awoniyi's 6th consecutive start. Scored 3 and assisted 1 over those 5 starts.

His latest goal against Stuttgart (goal @0:59):

[article]Taiwo Awoniyi makes a case for Super Eagles call up with another Bundesliga goal

Nigerian striker Taiwo Awoniyi is waxing stronger with his Bundesliga team, Union Berlin, as he scored yet another goal for the capital-based club on Tuesday in their league game against VfB Stuttgart.

Awoniyi’s goal, the
third for the season, was initially seen as good enough to give Union Berlin an away win but VfB Stuttgart fought back from the two-goal deficit and deservedly recorded a 2-2 draw against the Iron Ones.

In his usual religious manner, Awoniyi gave all praises to God for his latest goal even as he expects that things will keep getting better.

On his official Instagram page, Awoniyi wrote: “God with us and God in us, you deserve the highest praise. #Emmanuel# always with us Teilen Sie Punkt am Ende, aber wir machen am Freitag weiter mate @1.fcunion”

In Tuesday’s outing, Awoniyi was in action from start to finish for his side whereas his compatriot Anthony Ujah was outrightly omitted for the encounter.

Awoniyi is originally signed to Liverpool but the 23-year old has consistently been shipped out on loans to seven different clubs.

The present stint with Union Berlin is Awoniyi’s third in Germany after previous loans with Mainz and Bundeliga 2 side, FSV Frankfurt.

With the three goals in nine games, this is by far the best run for Awoniyi in Germany.

With the outcome from Tuesday’s game, Stuttgart are still occupying the seventh spot in the Bundesliga after garnering 18 points from 12 games in the 2020-21 campaign, while Union Berlin are sixth with the same number of points although with a superior goal difference.

Many are positive that Awoniyi can get the much-anticipated call up to the Super Eagles if he keeps the momentum with Union Berlin.

The striker has already featured for all of the country’s age-grade teams and is waiting to grab a chance with the Super Eagles.[/article]

[article]
Awoniyi: On-loan Liverpool forward waiting for Super Eagles chance

The 23-year-old attacker is looking to get an opportunity to showcase his potential for the three-time African champions

Liverpool loanee Taiwo Awoniyi has revealed his desire to represent the Nigeria national team and hopes his chance will come soon.

The forward has previously starred for the West Africans’ youth teams and was part of the side that won the 2013 U17 World Cup.

Leicester City forward Kelechi Iheanacho and Watford attacker Isaac Success are two of his former teammates at U17 level who have gotten their chances to play for the Super Eagles.

The 23-year-old has also played for Nigeria at U20 and U23 levels where he has impressed, and played a key role as the West Africans qualified for 2015 All African Games.

Awoniyi has been with the Premier League champions since 2015 but he is yet to feature for the side and had to make do with temporary deals away from Anfield.

The forward is currently on his seventh loan spell with Bundesliga club Union Berlin and has been delivering fine performances for his club.

Awoniyi has registered three goals and provided one assist in 10 Bundesliga appearances in the 2020-21 season.

The forward has promised to continue his eye-catching displays at club level while hoping to get a chance to feature for Gernot Rohr’s side.

“The national team question for me is a big thing. I remember in the U17 and U20 days, the pride to wear the national colours is massive,” Awoniyi told Brila FM.

“I understand that the country has talents in abundance, But I also have to stick to my principle of time and season and continue to work hard. When it’s my time I’ll take the opportunity and understand it for what it is.”

Besides playing for Union Berlin, the forward has also previously featured for FSV Frankfurt, NEC, Mouscron, Gent, Mouscron and Mainz 05.

During his time with the 05ers, the 23-year-old suffered a severe concussion and was hospitalized after hitting his head with Felix Uduokhai.

Awoniyi will be expected to play a part for Union Berlin when they take on Borussia Dortmund in a Bundesliga game on Friday night.

The Iron Ones are currently sixth on the league table after gathering 18 points from 12 games.
[/article]

This is Awoniyi's 6th consecutive start. Scored 3 and assisted 1 over those 5 starts.

His latest goal against Stuttgart (goal @0:59):

[article]Taiwo Awoniyi makes a case for Super Eagles call up with another Bundesliga goal

Nigerian striker Taiwo Awoniyi is waxing stronger with his Bundesliga team, Union Berlin, as he scored yet another goal for the capital-based club on Tuesday in their league game against VfB Stuttgart.

Awoniyi’s goal, the third for the season
, was initially seen as good enough to give Union Berlin an away win but VfB Stuttgart fought back from the two-goal deficit and deservedly recorded a 2-2 draw against the Iron Ones.

In his usual religious manner, Awoniyi gave all praises to God for his latest goal even as he expects that things will keep getting better.

On his official Instagram page, Awoniyi wrote: “God with us and God in us, you deserve the highest praise. #Emmanuel# always with us Teilen Sie Punkt am Ende, aber wir machen am Freitag weiter mate @1.fcunion”

In Tuesday’s outing, Awoniyi was in action from start to finish for his side whereas his compatriot Anthony Ujah was outrightly omitted for the encounter.

Awoniyi is originally signed to Liverpool but the 23-year old has consistently been shipped out on loans to seven different clubs.

The present stint with Union Berlin is Awoniyi’s third in Germany after previous loans with Mainz and Bundeliga 2 side, FSV Frankfurt.

With the three goals in nine games, this is by far the best run for Awoniyi in Germany.

With the outcome from Tuesday’s game, Stuttgart are still occupying the seventh spot in the Bundesliga after garnering 18 points from 12 games in the 2020-21 campaign, while Union Berlin are sixth with the same number of points although with a superior goal difference.

Many are positive that Awoniyi can get the much-anticipated call up to the Super Eagles if he keeps the momentum with Union Berlin.

The striker has already featured for all of the country’s age-grade teams and is waiting to grab a chance with the Super Eagles.[/article]

[article]
Awoniyi: On-loan Liverpool forward waiting for Super Eagles chance

The 23-year-old attacker is looking to get an opportunity to showcase his potential for the three-time African champions

Liverpool loanee Taiwo Awoniyi has revealed his desire to represent the Nigeria national team and hopes his chance will come soon.

The forward has previously starred for the West Africans’ youth teams and was part of the side that won the 2013 U17 World Cup.

Leicester City forward Kelechi Iheanacho and Watford attacker Isaac Success are two of his former teammates at U17 level who have gotten their chances to play for the Super Eagles.

The 23-year-old has also played for Nigeria at U20 and U23 levels where he has impressed, and played a key role as the West Africans qualified for 2015 All African Games.

Awoniyi has been with the Premier League champions since 2015 but he is yet to feature for the side and had to make do with temporary deals away from Anfield.

The forward is currently on his seventh loan spell with Bundesliga club Union Berlin and has been delivering fine performances for his club.

Awoniyi has registered three goals and provided one assist in 10 Bundesliga appearances in the 2020-21 season.

The forward has promised to continue his eye-catching displays at club level while hoping to get a chance to feature for Gernot Rohr’s side.

“The national team question for me is a big thing. I remember in the U17 and U20 days, the pride to wear the national colours is massive,” Awoniyi told Brila FM.

“I understand that the country has talents in abundance, But I also have to stick to my principle of time and season and continue to work hard. When it’s my time I’ll take the opportunity and understand it for what it is.”

Besides playing for Union Berlin, the forward has also previously featured for FSV Frankfurt, NEC, Mouscron, Gent, Mouscron and Mainz 05.

During his time with the 05ers, the 23-year-old suffered a severe concussion and was hospitalized after hitting his head with Felix Uduokhai.

Awoniyi will be expected to play a part for Union Berlin when they take on Borussia Dortmund in a Bundesliga game on Friday night.

The Iron Ones are currently sixth on the league table after gathering 18 points from 12 games.
[/article]

Make that 4 goals and 1 assist in 6 matches.

Goal @0:18

[article]Liverpool could prematurely end Loris Karius’ loan spell at Union Berlin due to his lack of game time, according to a report.

The German stopper initially left Anfield in 2018 after his shocker in the Champions League final. From there, he signed up to a two-year loan at Besiktas.

However, his move to Turkey ended in disgrace over his wages, with Karius terminating the contract.

The 27-year-old returned to Merseyside in the summer before switching to his home country. However, he continues to face problems in his latest loan spell – this time over his lack of action.

Karius made only his first appearance of the season in the German Cup on Tuesday as Berlin lost 3-2 to Paderborn in the second round.

Indeed, he remains the second-choice stopper behind Andreas Luthe, 33.

As such, Kicker claims that Liverpool could now opt to bring him back to Anfield.

Should Karius return to his parent club, he would arguably be Jurgen Klopp’s fourth-choice stopper. While Alisson Becker is the commanding No 1 between the sticks, there is an ongoing tussle for the backup role.

Indeed, Adrian had assumed that position in recent seasons but 22-year-old Caiomhin Kelleher has performed admirably of late when called upon. In any case, the pair would be ahead of Karius should he come back.[/article]

[article]Liverpool could prematurely end Loris Karius’ loan spell at Union Berlin due to his lack of game time, according to a report.

The German stopper initially left Anfield in 2018 after his shocker in the Champions League final. From there, he signed up to a two-year loan at Besiktas.

However, his move to Turkey ended in disgrace over his wages, with Karius terminating the contract.

The 27-year-old returned to Merseyside in the summer before switching to his home country. However, he continues to face problems in his latest loan spell – this time over his lack of action.

Karius made only his first appearance of the season in the German Cup on Tuesday as Berlin lost 3-2 to Paderborn in the second round.

As such, Kicker claims that Liverpool could now opt to bring him back to Anfield.

Should Karius return to his parent club, he would arguably be Jurgen Klopp’s fourth-choice stopper. While Alisson Becker is the commanding No 1 between the sticks, there is an ongoing tussle for the backup role.

Indeed, Adrian had assumed that position in recent seasons but 22-year-old Caiomhin Kelleher has performed admirably of late when called upon. In any case, the pair would be ahead of Karius should he come back.[/article]
I'm rather confused-- is Liverpool making the move to bring him back?

Elliott with the assist today
But in all fairness...Rothwell did all the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom