• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Loan Players Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
13548150.jpg

[article]JAKE Cain is showing the qualities from title-chasing Liverpool in Newport County AFC’s promotion push, says boss James Rowberry.

The 20-year-old loanee was a key figure in the Exiles’ 1-0 win over Bristol Rovers at Rodney Parade that lifted them to fourth in League Two on Saturday.

Cain helped protect the defence when sitting in midfield alongside the influential Scot Bennett but also produced a number of telling moments in attack.

He conjured an early chance to Rob Street with a delightful long pass, hit the outside of the post with one free-kick and was a yard wide with another, struck one shot just past the post and forced goalkeeper James Belshaw into a flying save.

“He has stepped up and you can see he’s a product of Liverpool and that he has trained with the first team there,” said manager Rowberry.

“His ability to counter press and be in transition shows how good he can be and how he suits the team.

“Jake knows he still has areas to improve and is lucky that he has Scot alongside him, plus Robbie, Matty Dolan and all the senior lads to help him. It’s a really good opportunity to keep developing Jake.”

Cain & Co are now preparing for a hectic burst of fixtures that starts at Stevenage on Saturday before they travel to Carlisle in midweek and host Hartlepool under the Friday night lights.

The Exiles are fresh from a testing run of games on home soil against resurgent Oldham and promotion rivals Mansfield, Tranmere, Forest Green and Bristol Rovers.

They have taken nine points from a possible 15 but are mindful of the workload on their players with Rowberry ready to tinker to ensure he doesn’t add to the injured list.

“The next spell is three games in seven days, going Saturday, Tuesday, Friday. That will have it’s own challenges,” he said.

“We need to be physically ready and prepare properly for it. I will give the lads a few days off and we go again on Tuesday.

“We have to protect players and that was why we brought James Waite in, we have the ability to give players a rest when needed. It’s important that other players then step up to the plate like they did against Bristol Rovers.”[/article]

Report shares Liverpool's plan for Sepp van den Berg with Preston loan ending soon
[article]Liverpool are reportedly planning to send defender Sepp van den Berg out on loan again next season as his Preston spell comes to an end.

They always say not to fall in love with loan players and North End fans have gone head over heels for three of them.

Goalkeeper Daniel Iversen and striker Cameron Archer have excelled since joining on loan from Leicester City and Aston Villa.

Van den Berg is the third, and much like Iversen, he has now been on loan at Preston since January 2021.

Seeing the progress of Van den Berg has been astonishing. When he first arrived as part of the deal that saw Ben Davies move to Anfield, the Dutchman could barely take a throw-in from an unfamiliar right wing back role.

Van den Berg grew into a very good right wing back before switching to right-sided centre back under Ryan Lowe.

The 20-year-old has been outstanding; his pace on the cover excellent and his bond with the fans seemingly unbreakable.

With the end of the season in sight though, Van den Berg’s time at Preston is coming towards its close.

Lowe is hoping to keep Van den Berg for another year, but the defender himself has admitted that he is expecting to be playing elsewhere.

Some have wondered whether Van den Berg would be featuring in the Liverpool first-team setup next season.

Neco Williams’ future is up in the air and Van den Berg could feasibly offer cover behind Trent Alexander-Arnold at right back.

However, Goal’s Liverpool correspondent Neil Jones reports that Liverpool are planning to send Van den Berg out on loan once again.

That may give Preston hope of a loan deal, but we have to be realistic here.

We would imagine that Van den Berg will be sent to a top-flight Dutch or German club to further his development, or even a Premier League club.

It would be great to see Van den Berg in a Preston shirt again next season, but we just can’t see it happening with Liverpool likely to want something new for their young defender.
[/article]

Sepp Loving Regular Game Time
[article]Having featured in all but one league game so far this campaign, Sepp van den Berg feels he’s enjoyed a “successful season” which he is hoping will end strongly.

After spending the second half of the campaign at Deepdale in 2020/21, the Liverpool defender returned on a season-long loan last June and has since been a key figure in the PNE side.

Sepp has only missed one game in the Championship – the visit to Blackburn Rovers in December – and he’s learned a lot in the meantime.

“I think playing wise, it’s been a very successful season,” Sepp said to iFollow PNE.

“Minutes wise it’s been excellent. I’m still feeling well and I still want to play six more 90 minutes so let’s see if I can do that.”

The Dutch defender and his teammates head into the weekend’s fixture against Queens Park Rangers no doubt full of confidence after their victory over Blackpool midweek.

After a day off on Wednesday following the game, Sepp admitted that Euxton is a happy place to be right now.

Sepp added: “Of course when you walk in everybody is still happy about Tuesday. It was an important game for us playing at home against Blackpool, everyone is still buzzing about the win, so all happy here.

“Last year I was here as well, but they were not in the Championship. Of course we lost unfortunately at their place earlier in the season, so winning this one was very important.

“It’s definitely one of the highlights of the season.”

QPR come to PR1 this weekend looking to get back on track in their search for a Play-Off place after a difficult run of results.

Mark Warburton’s side came out on top in the reverse fixture between the two earlier in the season in a tight contest at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium.

Sepp said: “I know we lost 3-2 but I think we should have won, so it’s a nice game for us to get revenge on them and hopefully get the win.

“I think we have a very good record at home anyway, so winning this one [we are now] trying to get a few games winning on the bounce.

Away from PNE, the 20-year-old has recently been away with Netherlands U21s, starting both games against Bulgaria and Switzerland.

Victory against the latter – group leaders at the time – has now put them in a great position to qualify for next summer’s European Championship.

“I played both games so that was very nice,” he added. “We’re top of the group now and I think in June we have three more games so if we win all those we’re top of the group and quality for the Euros next summer.

“There’s a lot to play for in the summer break but it was a very good trip, I enjoyed it so I’m looking forward to June.”
[/article]

Sepp van den Berg's promise to Jurgen Klopp ahead of Liverpool return from PNE

[article]Preston North End loan star Sepp van den Berg is ready to show Liverpool and Jurgen Klopp the player he has become over the last 15 months at Deepdale.

First brought to North End in February 2020, the Dutchman adapted to life in the Championship admirably and became a priority for PNE to get back in the summer transfer window that followed. His return delighted the Preston supporters, who finally got to see the talented young defender in action live.

This season, van den Berg has progressed his game further and been a mainstay in the team, both under Frankie McAvoy and now Ryan Lowe. He's been deployed in his natural position of centre-back, on the right of a three, having played the majority of last season at right wing-back.
Lowe has said he'd love to have the Dutch youth international back net year but the likelihood of that looks extremely slim, given the player's intention to go and prove himself to Liverpool and potentially play at a higher level.

One strong characteristic of van den Berg is his confidence both on and off the pitch. It should not be mistaken for arrogance - simply a player who backs himself on the field of play and buys into the culture of a club. And when he goes back to Liverpool's AXA Training Centre this summer, he wants his growth as a player and person to be evident.

"When I came to Liverpool I was 17 and I'm 20 now so it has been a hell of a few years," van den Berg told LancsLive. "But yeah, of course they are going to see a different player (to the one that left).

"I think I have played like 60-odd Championship games so I have the game time in me now. That is a difference as well, so yeah, it's going to be a different me when I go back in the summer, definitely. I have always said it, I've really enjoyed my time here (at Preston) - it's been unbelievable and I didn't expect it to be this good to be fair. It's been one-year-and-a-half and I just love the club, love the fans, so it has been really good."

"I always like to play against the best teams," he added, after Monday's disappointing defeat to Fulham. "In general, we do very good against those teams as well but they were just better than us by far. I think every player wants to play against the best so it was a good learning day for us and I enjoyed that."[/article]

[article]Fulham fullback Neco Williams says he intends to return to parent club Liverpool this summer.

Williams, who joined Fulham on loan in January, has been linked with an Anfield exit this summer to get more regular game-time with Trent Alexander-Arnold blocking his path to the Liverpool first-team.

But the Wales full-back, who signed a five-year Liverpool contract in 2020, says he will be returning to Anfield a better player following Fulham's return to the top flight.

“It's been a great loan," said 21-year-old Williams, a Premier League title winner with Liverpool in 2020, at a McDonald's Fun Football session.

“But I'll be going back to Liverpool in the summer, feeling like a more mature player and definitely an improved player.

“Right now, I just want to play football week in and week out.

“I want to play as much as possible and gain as much experience as possible, and so far it has definitely helped me.

“I've improved as a player and getting promoted is a nice one to put on the CV."

He also said, “I've gone from starting a Champions League game against AC Milan and beating them 2-1 to playing Barnsley.

“So I have gained quite a lot of valuable and varied experience at such a young age.

“I want to be a Premier League player. For me, I think it's the best and the toughest league in the world."[/article]

We could do worse for more money than Neco Williams as Trent's backup. Better than Milner, worse defensively than Gomez but better going forward. And that's his actual position.
I agree. He's looked like a Trent Lite when he's played for us. He certainly has good feet and an excellent cross. Defensively on a level with Trent though. However this comment makes me think he'll be looking to move to a mid-table PL team : “Right now, I just want to play football week in and week out.

A bit thick of him saying that he wants to be a PL player and not realizing he could do that by staying at Fulham and play every week….

A bit thick of him saying that he wants to be a PL player and not realizing he could do that by staying at Fulham and play every week….

Yeah, weird comments.

Either way, doesn't look like he wants to come back here and sit on the bench.

Would Sepp have a part to play in the first team next year, if Neco and Gomez leave? By all accounts, he's excelled in both the right wing back and right sided CB roles for PNE, and despite being a big lad, he's very comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Would Sepp have a part to play in the first team next year, if Neco and Gomez leave? By all accounts, he's excelled in both the right wing back and right sided CB roles for PNE, and despite being a big lad, he's very comfortable with the ball at his feet.
He'd get absolutely destroyed at RB in a back 4. Like you said he's more comfortable with the ball now, but there's other aspects than defending involved here.
Sepp should focus on becoming a better CB. He's seems to have improved in all aspects of his game, both tactical and physical. The question is if it's enough to stake a claim at LFC?
I think he'll be assessed at Pre season. Klopp was almost ready to give Koumetio a chance a few summers ago, Sepp is obviously a lot better than him now, so who knows?

I think that’s a possibility - if we get a reasonable offer for Gomez, as the 4th CB.

If both Gomez & Neco leave, then we absolutely have to bring in a RB, even if Sepp gets a shot at being 4th CB - I don’t think Bradley (not the one who’s a top investor and makes top pizzas) is ready to be anything other than 3rd choice RB just yet.

I find it fucking weird that the old division 1 trophy is still given to the winners. That trophy was meant for the best team in England

I find it fucking weird that the old division 1 trophy is still given to the winners. That trophy was meant for the best team in England
What did you expect them to do with it? They weren’t going to melt it down into the premier league trophy

Retire it? Make a new trophy?
I mean it's not unprecedented.
Well it is technically the same division as it was pre 92. What happened is all the founder members of the premier league resigned from the football league. It was then backfilled with lower league clubs and rebranded.

UEFA kept the European Cup after its rebranding so why shouldn’t the football league?

Well it is technically the same division as it was pre 92. What happened is all the founder members of the premier league resigned from the football league. It was then backfilled with lower league clubs and rebranded.

UEFA kept the European Cup after its rebranding so why shouldn’t the football league?

Yes, but the European cup still decides the club champions of Europe.
Division 1 was the highest tier in England, the trophy is now given to the 21st best team in the country.

I completely agree with this. it pisses me off. Liverpool's name is inscribed on that trophy multiple times for being the best team in the land. Now that name has been joined by the likes of Fulham and fucking Norwich. No, fuck that. It should have been retired.

I completely agree with this. it pisses me off. Liverpool's name is inscribed on that trophy multiple times for being the best team in the land. Now that name has been joined by the likes of Fulham and fucking Norwich. No, fuck that. It should have been retired.

Didn't the FA do it to piss off the new Premier League? Effectively it was a split which the FA didn't agree to.

From EOTK:

Sepp van den Berg has made it clear he wants to fight for a place in Liverpool’s first team next season.

The young Dutchman has enjoyed a successful spell on loan at Championship outfit Preston North End this season and has found himself deployed at both centre-half and wing back at Deepdale.

There is real competition at the centre of defence in Jurgen Klopp’s side with Ibrahima Konate, Joel Matip and Joe Gomez all battling it out for a spot next to Virgil van Dijk, but van den Berg has claimed he ‘dreams’ of playing alongside the big No. 4.

“The intention is that I participate in pre-season and then earn my place in the dressing room,” van den Berg told Voetbal International (via the Liverpool Echo).

“At the same time, I know that the competition is fierce. This summer I will fight for a starting place. That’s what I hope, that’s what I dream of [playing with Van Dijk]. That is my goal for next season.

“The World Cup can help me with that. It will be a long and tough season, a lot of guys will leave or be gone temporarily. Then you might get the chance to play a little earlier. I have to do that.”

Matip has been the preferred option alongside VVD for most of the campaign, but Konate has featured and performed superbly in some huge fixtures this season.
The Frenchman is just 22 and therefore has the potential to be a fixture in our side for the foreseeable future.

van den Berg made 50 appearances for the Lancashire outfit across all competitions, scoring two goals and registering one assist.

He’ll certainly return to Merseyside a better player as a result of his time playing regular football in England’s second division.

He arrived at the club from PEC Zwolle as a 16-year-old and has made only four senior appearances for the Reds – he was a highly-rated talent with Bayern Munich, Ajax and PSV believed to have been interested in the defender before he opted for a switch to Anfield.

It’s great to see that he has the hunger to succeed at the club so hopefully he can impress during pre-season and take any chances that come his way next season.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo.../liverpool-could-double-money-jurgen-23941184

[article]A number of Reds have enjoyed success in the Championship this season with Neco Williams helping Fulham to win promotion to the Premier League as champions after joining the Cottagers on loan in January, while Liverpool pocketed a £250k bonus after Nat Phillips helped Bournemouth secure their own return to the English top-flight earlier this month.[/article]

[article]Liverpool received an initial loan fee of £500k from the Blades when sending the defender to Bramall Lane, already making back what they had initially parted with to sign Davies from Preston in the first place eight months earlier. But should the 26-year-old help the Sheffield club win promotion to the Premier League, the Reds will double their money.

This is because they included a further promotion bonus of £500k when loaning out their January signing, with United also covering all of the player's wages during his time at Bramall Lane. As a result, while signing a player who would then not play for your club might look like bad business, it's actually proven to be a rather shrewd deal for Liverpool.

Davies has made 23 appearances for Sheffield United, scoring one goal, as the Blades recovered strongly under Paul Heckingbottom to qualify for the play-offs following a slow start under former manager Slavisa Jokanovic. However, the Liverpool loanee was an unused substitute for their final four games of the season, with it unclear whether they would be interested in signing him permanently whether they win promotion to the Premier League or not.[/article]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom