• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool vs Leicester City (PL) 19.15 Sunday 22 Nov.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well he'd still have a certain time in self-isolation, surely?

No idea. Isn’t elite sport exempt from the usual stuff? And if pushed come to shove he can afford any fines. Not that anyone really understands the rules anymore.

I wonder if we might see a guest appearance from Taki in this game. He's under the radar at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if we feel the need to rotate the front three late in the game to manage workload for the coming months.

Surely Robbo can't play. He was shattered even before those idiots at Scotland played him twice with a hammy strain, so if we play him he's bound to break down and then we'll have to rely on that dodgy Tsimcard or whatever he's called.

Dunno. Klopp said he's ok so I've got a feeling he might get a rest once Trent is back

I’m still thinking we’re going to win. The bench will be nonexistent.

Alisson
Milner
Matip
Fabinho
Robertson
Thiago
Wijnaldum
Shaqiri
Mané
Firmino
Jota

Well he'd still have a certain time in self-isolation, surely?

Are they playing around the loop hole in the unreliability of the testing? I guess we are only taking the Egyptian FA's word for it about the test, so feel we have to retest him over here before saying he is definitely out. I guess that's fairly common practice. If a player gets injured at an international tournament, he still comes back and gets assessed by his club, regardless of what the international diagnosis is.

I don't recall anything about ligament damage being released, but stand corrected if you can point me in the right direction.

I'm not doubting his character, I don't know anything about him, in fact, his character is probably top drawer. But if it was an injury that was serious enough to rule him out for over a month and counting, I doubt he would've been able to play on. I reckon it's something else.

The club are secretive over injuries, but this definitely seems like a new one to me.

On whether Thiago had a setback in his recovery or his length of time out is a consequence of the injury he sustained…

It’s a consequence of the injury; it was a hit, it was a straight kick on his knee. So, it’s a consequence of the injury. We have to deal with the consequences of injuries and the accidents that happen, fouls, whatever. In this game, they were fouls, harsh fouls. If he could have played before [now] he would have played before, but he couldn’t. But he is out there on the pitch, he is running, he is doing a lot of stuff, so it will not be too long anymore. In the beginning, because the pictures looked… the same day, we got the horrible pictures from Virgil [van Dijk’s injury] and then we were kind of relieved that it’s not that serious for Thiago. But it was always clear it will not be in two or three days. In the first few days we thought it would settle quickly. But it didn’t and that’s what we have to accept then. That’s why we will not rush it. We prepare him for the rest of the season, not for the first game he can play again. That’s the situation.

Are they playing around the loop hole in the unreliability of the testing? I guess we are only taking the Egyptian FA's word for it about the test, so feel we have to retest him over here before saying he is definitely out. I guess that's fairly common practice. If a player gets injured at an international tournament, he still comes back and gets assessed by his club, regardless of what the international diagnosis is.

It's weird, because they didn't just say he'd tested positive, they also said he was displaying mild symptoms of covid.

On which of Thiago, Fabinho and Oxlade-Chamberlain are training with the full group…

Quote:
[xtable=border:0|cellpadding:6|cellspacing:0|100%x@]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Players have to train in the big training sessions with the team – in team training, how we call it – and not only once. If it’s really serious and we have no other players then maybe one session has to be enough from time to time. It doesn’t happen really often, I can’t remember when it happened last time. But usually you prepare the players not only for one game and that means they need to be part of it. Fabinho was part of that. What we make of that, we will see because I don’t know yet how he reacts and all that stuff. But Fabinho was part of the normal team training.{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Given Liverpool's current situation, there's seemingly only one question to open an interview with Andy Robertson: 'How are you fitness-wise?'

Robertson missed the second of Scotland's three international fixtures during the break, though he did return to play 90 minutes against Israel on Wednesday.

It was a reassuring sign that the hamstring issue which kept him sidelined was only a minor one.

"Yeah, I feel fit, feel ready to go," the left-back told Liverpoolfc.com on Friday ahead of the Reds' encounter with Leicester City. "I think I just got a tighter hamstring than usual against Man City, first and foremost.

"Then obviously the game on Thursday for Scotland was a huge one and 120 minutes and penalties had took its toll on me.

"Sunday, I wasn't ready and just took a bit more time to recover from the game. But there wasn't any real concerns about it. It was just the [risk] of doing anything worse to the hamstring was quite high on Sunday and the manager had made the call not to play me. Wednesday, I was good to go.

"Now I'm ready to go for Sunday, I feel fully fit, I feel ready. I know some people were quite concerned but I suppose with the amount of injuries we've had, people have become used to it. But I'm fully fit and ready to go."

Even speaking prior to the Gomez blow, Jürgen Klopp had in fact namechecked Robertson as a potential option for the Reds at centre-half.

The manager cited the career of Javier Mascherano, who retired this week, as proof that height isn't totally essential in the position.

Robertson reacted: "I don't think I've done it before but if the manager thinks that's an option, then I'll play it and do it to the best of my ability.

"Whatever the manager asks of me, I'll do it. Look, if that becomes an option or that becomes the case, like I said, I'll do it to the best of my ability and I'll try my best, like I do in any other position.

I still feel really concerned about his fitness - if you've finished three consecutive games with a very tight hamstring, that's surely time for a break. Oh well, I guess the medical staff know what they're doing. Robertson at CB? That bothers me, too!

It's weird, because they didn't just say he'd tested positive, they also said he was displaying mild symptoms of covid.

Yeah I saw that, after initially saying he wasn't showing any. Klopp doesn't sound too chuffed about the wedding thing.

I still feel really concerned about his fitness - if you've finished three consecutive games with a very tight hamstring, that's surely time for a break. Oh well, I guess the medical staff know what they're doing. Robertson at CB? That bothers me, too!

I think under normal circumstances he'd have been the one we'd be looking to rest, but as it stands he's the only one half fit. It'll be a risk, but I think he'll play on Sunday because the rest of the defense will be fairly makeshift with Matip, Fabinho and Milner, but at some point he'll need a break. Sooner rather than later. I know nothing about the lad we bought in the Summer, but it sounds like he's got a bit to do before he's ready to figure in the first team.

If Salah is tested today and its negative, any chance he can play tomorrow or is that ruled out all together?

If Salah is tested today and its negative, any chance he can play tomorrow or is that ruled out all together?

Don't see why it should be, if he's negative he's negative, unless he's still unwell from the virus. Unsure really. Anyone?

Klopp: We are obviously in close contact with him all of the time and, how it always is in these cases, in the moment when you have a negative test then the process really starts. He’s in a good place, he feels well, no symptoms, so that is all fine.”

Yesterday's training session:

The following were involved:

Keepers: Alisson, Kelleher, Adrian

Defenders: Rhys, Robbo, Fabs, Matip, Tsimikas, Neco, Philips, Koumetio

Midfielders: Milner, Keita, Jones, Gini, Clarkson, Cain

Attackers: Origi, Jota, Firmino, Sadio, Shaq

Bonus: Double nutmeg at 6.16

Last edited:
Wouldn't surprise me if Klopp went with the following line up:

Alisson

Milner
Matip
Philips
Robbo

Fabs
Gini
Keita

Jota
Firmino
Sadio

Subs: Adrian, Williams x 2, Tsimikas, Jones, Shaq, Origi

Sure, it's a bit of a gamble playing Philips instead of Fabs in defence but I actually think we need Fabs in midfield for this one to stop the in form Tielemans.
If Hendo was available I'd have Fabs in defence obviously, but we need him in midfield for this one.
I was tempted to pick Shaq over Keita but we need attacking cover for the front three on the bench as well.
Milner over Neco, mainly because Milner is well rested.

Klopp could potentially surprise us all and play Robbo at LCB to contain Vardy and Tsimikas at left back. I wouldn't mind it to be honest but my fantasy team would.

Last edited:
We need fabs in midfield.
don't think milner will start at the back
also think jones will start in midfield

Wouldn't surprise me if Klopp went with the following line up:

Alisson

Milner
Matip
Philips
Robbo

Fabs
Gini
Keita

Jota
Firmino
Sadio

Subs: Adrian, Williams x 2, Tsimikas, Jones, Shaq, Origi

Sure, it's a bit of a gamble playing Philips instead of Fabs in defence but I actually think we need Fabs in midfield for this one to stop the in form Tielemans.
If Hendo was available I'd have Fabs in defence obviously but we need him in midfield for this one.
I was tempted to pick Shaq over Keita but we need attacking cover for the front three on the bench as well.
Milner over Neco, mainly because Milner is well rested.

Klopp could potentially surprise us all and play Robbo at LCB to contain Vardy and Tsimikas at left back. I wouldn't mind it to be honest but my fantasy team would.

i like that team. Don’t want to see Robertson anywhere but left back, sure he’d probably do a good job but you lose too much at fullback.

i like that team. Don’t want to see Robertson anywhere but left back, sure he’d probably do a good job but you lose too much at fullback.

It's when he's bombing down the wing that I'll be anxious, fearing he's going to suddenly pull up. That's become one of the standard 'things' about watching us this season - we're a pacy side but I'm watching now dreading anyone breaks down!

If Robbo plays centre half I wonder what odds you can get on him doing his hamstring and giving a pen away in the same phase of play

We need fabs in midfield.
don't think milner will start at the back
also think jones will start in midfield

I think Milner has probably reached the point where playing from the start will highlight his limitations. Against a younger quicker winger its asking for trouble, fullback in our team is a young mans game.

If we are in a position where he has to start due to absentees then Id expect its as the holding midfielder sitting behind some combination of Jones, Wjinaldum and Keita.

I think Milner has probably reached the point where playing from the start will highlight his limitations. Against a younger quicker winger its asking for trouble, fullback in our team is a young mans game.

If we are in a position where he has to start due to absentees then Id expect its as the holding midfielder sitting behind some combination of Jones, Wjinaldum and Keita.

I wouldn't mind Milner too much at right back for a one-off game. Not left back any more, though. I think even Klopp over-estimates his ability to still fill-in at left back - he did well that season but only because he had the whole season to get into a groove. Nowadays when he's just sent there for the odd game or half, he's understandably unsure of himself. We can't have too high a line when Vardy's around, so that might help him, too.

It's when he's bombing down the wing that I'll be anxious, fearing he's going to suddenly pull up. That's become one of the standard 'things' about watching us this season - we're a pacy side but I'm watching now dreading anyone breaks down!

true, didn’t think about the possible upside of him not being at fullback

i haven’t really felt the way you describe until recently, the squad looked fairly deep but it’s now rapidly accelerating towards threadbare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom