• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool v Fulham Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liverpool 2 Fulham 0: Match Ratings

by Ben Johnson | Nov 11, 2018 | 0 comments
WHOEVER is responsible for early kick offs needs to understand that they are absolutely shite.
Every fucker is scrambling round like the clocks have gone forward three hours, the ground has moved to just outside Birmingham and they haven’t been to bed in a month. The atmosphere is shite, you haven’t got time to get a bevy before the game, and the consequence is a ground where everyone still thinks they are in bed and can’t be arsed singing. If we get anymore early kick offs we need a three-point initiative to help with the atmosphere.

Free Garys on entrance to anyone over 17.

Free hip flask of Brandy to anyone over 16.

George to take us back to his pomp and play a set of absolute bangers while the game is on. Think Disco Beat Hotel.

Pissed it. If anyone at the club wants me to box this for the next one, hit me up lads. It will be a piece of piss.
Alisson: 7
Makes a few good saves, tells everyone what to do, boss with his feet and can’t half pass it — that one where he pinged it to Andy Robbo (I think). Second half was boss. There’s some talk about a cap second half but I was down the other end and couldn’t see a thing. Boss for the first goal.
Trent: 6
Clearly struggling for form, but in fairness today he kept showing for the ball, kept working, even though it was tough. Will come out the other side a better player.
Joe Gomez: 7
Struggled at first with their fella upfront who looks like he had a bath full of boiled eggs for his tea but grew in to the game second half and started fouling the Grock, which takes some doing in fairness. Poor for the one when both him and Virg stand off him.
Virg: 7
Boss when he ended up left wing twice in the second half after corners, weren’t it? Legit play him there away to City and just give it to Alisson to hit it to him on the touchline all day. Let him pluck it out the sky, beat three and box it.
Andy Robbo: 8
Legged it all day, could have scored a few, great on the overlap and was generally our best player who isn’t a little mad barrel who plays upfront or in midfield. Would like to see him score.
Fabinho: 7
Done alright there, didn’t he? As in alright. Got his foot in well and ticked it over. God help him when the internet realises he passes the ball backwards a fair bit.
Gini: 6
Given the two in midfield were spectacularly deep, they didn’t offer a great deal of protection when they kept breaking first half. Did alright, didn’t do much wrong, just doesn’t feel like we got enough from the midfield.
Shaqiri: 8
Our best player, there. Loads of movement, head up all the while, first thought is what can I create, rather than here you go lad next to me, you have it. Some of them through balls first half were boss, the finish is an absolute peach. Watches it all day long. What a fella. Reckon he is the one fella I would love to be in our gang. Imagine his rig out bouncing round town.
Mo Salah: 8
Actually thought he was good today. Stronger than he has been, sharp, quick, on the front foot and unlucky not to score more than one. Not sure this shape helps him much, but he still could have had a hat trick. Great for the goal.
Sadio: 7
Started the season on fire but has cooled down a bit, more a bit of a smoulder at the minute. Not sure this formation is helping anyone really, least of all the next fella.
Firmino: 6
Seems to me that playing Salah ahead of him seems to nullify his threat pretty much entirely. Ends up basically playing centre mid, which doesn’t suit him at all. Worked hard and kept trying but it just seems to knock him out of his stride.
SUBS
Hendo:
Come on and looked knackered, like he had been on my three-point atmosphere plan while he has been out.
The Rest:
Hmm…

Maybe it's unfair of me, given there's probably a degree of fatigue from the midweek game, but that second half just made me angry and frustrated.If ever there was a time for us to play ourselves into form and improve our goal difference as well, it was after we went two up, but instead we dropped down to walking pace most of the time and even invited Fulham to get back into the game for a spell.

I thought Salah looked more like his old self, but Firmino is mentally tired more than physically tired. That awful touch late on when he was on the left wing summed him up - tired thinking. Same goes for TAA, who played as if his head was full of fog.

And I don't see why Klopp didn't bring on Studge when Fulham were looking so jaded and Firmino was anonymous, and Keita for a decent run-out rather than a pointless few minutes at the end. Everything was infuriatingly sloppy and unambitious.

It's a win, good. But this slapdash style of performance cannot continue.

@gkmacca - many thanks for posting this; and it is exactly how I have been feeling about some of the wins at home after we seem to be cruising. Had this post come from me - I am certain most of the forum will be recommending I get some blow job treatment.

It's like so many of the players don't realize the goal difference between our team and City; if a team is there for the taking which Fulham were then they should exert themselves a little extra to try and get themselves into some ruthless form. This tippy tappy slow shit after we went 2-0 is just not benefit us - it was the same with the Cardiff display until it went 2-1 and then it was like Cardiff had put a rocket up our arses !!!

For a bunch of fans watching a team go unbeaten in twelve games in the league, we don't half moan a lot...

I've seen us be MUCH MUCH worse than this...

Them City lads do look highly pesky and good it is true but as long as we keep winning I ain't gonna be moaning.

As for never wishing to hear Lallana's name again?? Really?? Check your head...

Last edited:
Maybe it's unfair of me, given there's probably a degree of fatigue from the midweek game, but that second half just made me angry and frustrated.If ever there was a time for us to play ourselves into form and improve our goal difference as well, it was after we went two up, but instead we dropped down to walking pace most of the time and even invited Fulham to get back into the game for a spell.

I thought Salah looked more like his old self, but Firmino is mentally tired more than physically tired. That awful touch late on when he was on the left wing summed him up - tired thinking. Same goes for TAA, who played as if his head was full of fog.

And I don't see why Klopp didn't bring on Studge when Fulham were looking so jaded and Firmino was anonymous, and Keita for a decent run-out rather than a pointless few minutes at the end. Everything was infuriatingly sloppy and unambitious.

It's a win, good. But this slapdash style of performance cannot continue.

I think it's harsh to call it slapdash. Even if you look at that game we had a pretty damn good bunch of chances against a fully parked bus and we weren't going crazy at full pelt but then we didn't need to did we!

I understand it, people are naturally pissed off that we are not smashing teams like we did the first 80 minutes against Roma in the semis... I do get it... Every one of us likes goals but nonetheless, I just think we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves here.

YES we made the final of big ears last year but that doesn't mean we are automatically going to do it again and YES we were playing some exquisite footy last season as well but we didn't do that for the entire season in every game did we?

For a few hours yesterday we were top of the league, after 30% of the games played.

I've seen a whole bunch of worse seasons than this so far from our teams over the years.

We could also argue that there are a whole bunch of key players from last season who are not really on song at the minute, I'm sick of reading about people waiting for us to "click" but it is true, to suggest we are not truly boss is to not see the big picture.

Just to re-iterate, yesterday we were briefly top of the league.

I'm not saying we should be happy that we aren't on fire banging in the goals, every one loves it when we are, but at the same time City's goal difference, Mo ain't on form, Bobby is tired, Fab ain't looking Fab... yadda yadda yadda... calm down... fucks sake... let's get behind em, that's our only job isn't it? Support.

Yes we have been waiting nigh on 30 years.

I'm happy we won and I'm hoping (and I am sneakily confident that) we keep fucking winning... erring on the side of moaning? ... I'm doubtful that moaning helps the team or ourselves as supporters for that matter... literally getting to the point where even when we win it ain't enough!! Nah...

We are still very very fucking nifty and now we have a decent Goaly on top... them forwards are still the best forwards in Europe and HOPEFULLY our newbie mids are gonna spice things up.

As to the clouds of despair and grumbling....Top of the league we was... Top of the fucking league.... I defo saw it... Top...granted rather temporary but... It's still early bit lets see how this pans out... nifty... fucking nifty...

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see where Keita is fit back in. Will klopp try him as a co #6 with Fabs behind Shaqiri, or will he be giving slightly more of a roaming role.. Either way, i'm quite exciting to see all three of these go out together.

It is very good to see all our midfielders fit and available ! Oh, and that leaky City defence has now let in the same number of goals as us !

hahaha... that's the spirit!!

yeah.. they are looking extremely good at the minute... but it's City eh... no-marks... it's an interesting season so far.

Living out in Asia the Manc game didn't kick off till 11:30pm here so I tootled off to get some kip instead, I did have the World Service on and heard they were getting smashed while I was counting sheep. Although a better result for us would have involved City dropping points after all these years I still take pleasure in watching ( hearing ) United lose...

I fucking hate them.

I hate them enough to want them to suffer.

Swings and roundabouts eh... Everton actually did something useful for us today which is a bonus...

With six more points, just two more wins, we'll be statistically safe from relegation. Then he'll unleash the hounds and go for it.

By the way, last season after 12 games we had a goal difference of +7 and sat 5th, 12 points behind already. This season it's +18 and we sit 2nd, 2 points behind. Man City had scored 40 goals. This season they have 36. Last season they had 34 points, this season 32.

Chill guys, it's all good.

With six more points, just two more wins, we'll be statistically safe from relegation. Then he'll unleash the hounds and go for it.

By the way, last season after 12 games we had a goal difference of +7 and sat 5th, 12 points behind already. This season it's +18 and we sit 2nd, 2 points behind. Man City had scored 40 goals. This season they have 36. Last season they had 34 points, this season 32.

Ah! but they have that twenty point lead remember!! ;)

To be honest, even under the dismal shitty times I've always enjoyed being a Liverpool fan so I ain't into being all miserable concerned and tetchy about our team...

We will eventually get a shitty result in the league, of course, we will but...

I'm still loving it at the minute anyways... We won. That's a win.

Victory.

Interesting stats you posted there, it does go to show how much we have improved, and also hoves into view what if we actually do CLICK up front again ;)

I'm keen to see that.. bobbys shiny teeth glinting in the sunshine...

I know it's irrational in some ways, but it's still nice go top of the league, even for a short period, and we're still unbeaten too, with that wonderful Fortress Anfield stat also intact. So, much to be pleased about from a results perspective. And results are all that really matters.

But.....this is the RAAAAATTIIIIINGGGGGGSSSS! So one must try and be objective and fair. Yes, we won, but Fulham are fucking shit, so we should expect to win, and win well. And......er...we didn't really. It was laboured and sloppy for much of the first half, and after Fulham went into survival mode, we sat back, happy to coast to the win. The Red Machine is still misfiring and missing gears, but still had enough to get over the line easily enough.

Alisson (6) Not great against Red Star and improved here, but still spilled a simple shot that Virgil rescued. Great quick-thinking for the goal, though and his looming presence put off Sessegnon when he should have scored.

TAA (5) Improved display, but that's not saying much. Still looked slow in mind and body at times, with some very heavy touches and dreadful deliveries from wide. Nice quick pass and run to set up the Salah goal, though.

Virgil (7) Generally calm and showed his usual class, although he was turned a bit too easily once. Keeps the defence together and is currently the most important player in the team.

Gomez (6) Lucky to escape when Sessegnon escaped his attention, and had one or two difficult moments against the hurly-burly Mitrovic, came through it well enough.

Robertson (7) Another who has been below his best for most of the season, this was more like the Robbo of last season; defended diligently and then took advantage of Fulham's reluctance to attack in the second half. Wonderful cross to assist Shaqiri.

Fabinho (6) Maybe 6 is being generous, but ayway. A game in which he wasn't overly tested defensively, as Fulham played about 8 central defenders. Showed some glimpses of quality with some good diagonal balls, but still looked worryingly sluggish at times. This was pretty good, I suppose, but needs to improve a lot if he's going to play against the top sides.

Wijnaldum (5) Didn't much wrong. Didn't do much at all really. We need more from our midfield than that.

Shaqiri (8) Added some urgency and creative flair to a moribund midfield, he was inventive and busy. He's perhaps not quite as good as he thinks he is, or even as good as we really need, but right now he should be playing every game. Lovely finish off his ankle for the goal, too.

Mane (5) Hard to rate sometimes. His pace and attacking instincts are crucial to the team, but his touch was horrible and hi shooting all over the place. He caused lots of problems and Fulham were always backing off him, but he wasted lots of good opportunities.

Salah (8) Extra point for the well-taken goal, and led the line well. He is playing as the central striker now isn't he? I get so confused. anyway, played well, caused lots of problems and scored.

Firmino (5) I know he's not exactly a reliable finisher, but while his skill-set is arguably more suited to play the withdrawn striker/ attacking midfielder role - hard to shake off the ball, works hard, great vision and close control - he's just nowhere near as effective. Dropped so deep he was left miles behind attacks, and once again never looked close to adding to the paltry two league goals he has managed so far.

Not a fan of Bobby playing behind Salah. Salah's best work came when he was playing from the right.

I think TAA needs to be taken out for a good few weeks, the pregnant bird stuff has deffo affected his performance - he was poor.

Robbo is just top class, Shaqiri looks good.

I just don't think we have the players to play this new type of slow methodical football that we are playing since Pep Ljinders came back, look at our breakaway goal - it came about because we played fast and direct. In fact all our best work came when we played at pace.

Mane is a strange one, too. He usually starts quite well but then fades during the second half. I don't know if Klopp shifts him to the right in the hope of waking him up a bit, but he's looked anonymous there in the past two games. Maybe another one who needs a break.

We need a better footballing midfield composition against poor sides at home. Likewise Firmino/whoever needs to stop dropping so much deeper than our 10.

Fabinho looks like he could be decent but for his fee, he should be. I cant wait to see a fully fit, acclimated midfield looks like in the coming months, mainly because it has been utterly underwhelming in the first third of the season, obviously ox, keita, hendo, lallana all being broken for parts/all of it hasnt helped.

Shaqiri is offering more than I thought he would, he looks tailor-made for this sidean has been great - it is however, a bit sad seeing him in the coutinho role, feels like a fall in most aspects & I'm not sure hes good enough as an individual over the course of a season for a championship game ut that couod be said for a few other first teamers I guess

Think we did well enough to earn 3 points. Seem like we struggle a bit to keep up the accurate high tempo passing. Need to be brave and keep trying.

Am I the only one who thought Fabinho was underwhelming especially for a player with that sort of fee ?

Against the bottom team of the league, he spent most of his team at a jogging pace, either passing backwards, sideways or slow the entire game down.

If gegenpressing is akin to heavy metal, then Fabinho is like music played at a funeral parlour.

I can think of many past average Liverpool midfielders who are better than Fabs.

Am i too critical of him ?

Last edited:
Maybe we've been a bit spoilt lately. Salah, VVD, Shaq, Robertson, Ox and Allison have all improved us pretty much from the off. That's not normal. Fab and Keita have been underwhelming, but that's what you normally get with players from other leagues. Of the above only the keeper didn't know the premier league already. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for a few months yet.

Jesus. So we're actually 10 points ahead of them according to my Maths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom