• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool v Fulham Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of things that are noticeable this season:

• Robbo commits himself forward less than last, and this impacts some of our quick attacks when he was so often the outlet. When he is in the final third we look much closer to our old selves.
  • Bobby seems more interested in getting the ball and wanting to be a playmaker than bring a focal point of the attack to bring others in.
  • We look infinitely better with a proper AM in the midfield three. Shaq needs more time there whilst we seriously miss Ox's contribution there from last season

Massively unsatisfying win.
Sounds weird because we are top of the league. Undefeated. Best goals conceded record in umpteen years.
And yet we weren’t that good. Should have been 7 or 8 nil.

Maybe it's unfair of me, given there's probably a degree of fatigue from the midweek game, but that second half just made me angry and frustrated.If ever there was a time for us to play ourselves into form and improve our goal difference as well, it was after we went two up, but instead we dropped down to walking pace most of the time and even invited Fulham to get back into the game for a spell.

I thought Salah looked more like his old self, but Firmino is mentally tired more than physically tired. That awful touch late on when he was on the left wing summed him up - tired thinking. Same goes for TAA, who played as if his head was full of fog.

And I don't see why Klopp didn't bring on Studge when Fulham were looking so jaded and Firmino was anonymous, and Keita for a decent run-out rather than a pointless few minutes at the end. Everything was infuriatingly sloppy and unambitious.

It's a win, good. But this slapdash style of performance cannot continue.

That last fact is key though. Given that we're in relatively poor form, winning by any means is imperative.

It's quite possible that this is our poorest spell of the season. I'd certainly like to think it will be, as Klopp's teams always seem to come to form after December, so to grind out results & stay in touch with City in the process has to be the priority.
I think this is further proof, if it were needed, of the new direction Klopp has us moving in. It's been clear since the season started, it's not that we haven't hit top gear (based on last season's form/style) but that we are playing far more conservatively and (as TAA said in his post-match interview) we are now a possession based team. We don't chase as much, we don't gamble as much and as a result we look far less dynamic and creative.

There is no Top Gear to hit if we are basing that thought on last season. That has gone, Klopp has us playing far more 'pragmatically'.

Well I went and I enjoyed it, even the second half. Totally agree that TAA and Firmino look knackered, but really loved watching Shaq and Robbo play so well. The opportunism of goal one was great and that cross for the second was boss. Didn't we do total shit against promoted teams last season? I'm happy.

I think this is further proof, if it were needed, of the new direction Klopp has us moving in. It's been clear since the season started, it's not that we haven't hit top gear (based on last season's form/style) but that we are playing far more conservatively and (as TAA said in his post-match interview) we are now a possession based team. We don't chase as much, we don't gamble as much and as a result we look far less dynamic and creative.

There is no Top Gear to hit if we are basing that thought on last season. That has gone, Klopp has us playing far more 'pragmatically'.

Oh please, is this the reason the front three aren't playing well too? Only you could dress it up as some deliberate masterstroke.

I think we overestimate how badly our front three are doing. They have 14 goals between them, Chelsea's top three scorers have 16, and City's have 17. Our front three have been good, just not as good as last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom