• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Jordan Henderson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Questions will always remain with hendo. Partly because klopp likes to rotate the midfield. Also Fab will always start when fit and probably gini for most games. Is he good enough for the 10 role probably not, so will rotate with gini

It will be interesting see what we do in the summer with the midfield options, stick or twist. I would still like a Aouar / Saul in our midfield

Nobody argues that Gerrard was the better footballer. And if I'm not totally mistaken Hendo already matched Gerrard's trophy haul.

And maybe it is hard but for me the whole Chelsea story was ridiculous and unbearable. At least for me.

Hendo always puts his team first. Always. Could anybody figure Gerrard wanting to let someone else lift the CL trophy for example?

Gerrard led with his footballing ability not by his character. He was fortunate to have influential characters like Sami or Carra around. Hendo on the other hand has far superior players than him around him and still every single player looks up to him.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but Hendo has not surpassed or equalled Gerrard's trophy haul.
Off the top of my head:
Gerrard Vs Hendo
2 Fa cups Vs 0
3 league cups Vs 1
2 super cups Vs 1
1 uefa cup Vs 0
1 CL Vs 1
0 WCC Vs 1

But if you mean as a captain, I think Gerrard's trophy haul is still greater.

Nobody argues that Gerrard was the better footballer. And if I'm not totally mistaken Hendo already matched Gerrard's trophy haul.

And maybe it is hard but for me the whole Chelsea story was ridiculous and unbearable. At least for me.

Hendo always puts his team first. Always. Could anybody figure Gerrard wanting to let someone else lift the CL trophy for example?

Gerrard led with his footballing ability not by his character. He was fortunate to have influential characters like Sami or Carra around. Hendo on the other hand has far superior players than him around him and still every single player looks up to him.

Well inspiring motm performances as captain mean a lot and Gerrard dwarfs him in that category,

He’s also won twice as many trophies 8-4 and that’s not counting the charity shield.

If it’s on field then the debate is simple, off field and PR it’s Henderson all day long.

Well inspiring motm performances as captain mean a lot and Gerrard dwarfs him in that category,

He’s also won twice as many trophies 8-4 and that’s not counting the charity shield.

If it’s on field then the debate is simple, off field and PR it’s Henderson all day long.
The stuff @Woland has alluded to about Gerrard off the pitch kinda taints the picture of him being a great captain.
Hendo just seems like a nice guy with a good upbringing.

The stuff @Woland has alluded to about Gerrard off the pitch kinda taints the picture of Gerrard being a great captain.
Hendo just seems like a nice guy with a good upbringing.

Definitely but it’s also easier for great players to like a work man like captain who doesn’t threaten their status.

Gerrard was our best player by a country mile for 90% of his time here.

Definitely but it’s also easier for great players to like a work man like captain who doesn’t threaten their status.

Gerrard was our best player by a country mile for 90% of his time here.
I don't think anyone is stupid enough to question his ability. Gerrard is the leader type and Hendo is more the organiser type.

I don't think anyone is stupid enough to question his ability. Gerrard is the leader type and Hendo is more the organiser type.

Agreed hence the better captain debate comes down to what your criteria is for judging and what weight you give each category.

Is it?

'Captain Me' and his 'How could I leave after a night like this?' shenanigans?

Did you ever hear anything like this from Hendo?

Jog on.

I see where you're coming from but he definitely led by example. He bailed the team out countless times. He also stayed to try win things at the a time he would have been welcome at most clubs in Europe.

Why in a thread to celebrate the achievements of Hendo is he being compared to Gerrard? Being the heir to Gerrard has dogged Henderson his entire Liverpool career, and we all know he can never compare to one of the greatest players to ever play the game.

Hendo has always been a really fine organiser and leader on the pitch, and he's currently playing some of his best footy, which is great to see. MOTM today and he was in the faces of the Flamengo players all game.

Yeah, sometimes as well it's more important what their impact is in the dressing room. We have some really strong characters who dominate behind the scenes, in the likes of Robertson, Van Dijk, Milner, Henderson and Gini, they're all intelligent lads who don't allow mentalities of old to creep in. Whether it be unprofessional behavior or the previous obvious lack of confidence and determination to go all the way in competitions.

People have debated Henderson's captaincy forever, sometimes fairly, but he's obviously respected well by his team mates and as a face for the club he fits well. He talks sense, stays calm and is both resolute and passionate about every aspect of the club.

We're incredibly lucky to have some of the characters we now have at the club, it's refreshing after years of stupidity and being perennial limp minded also-rans.

Great player, and a great captain who has earned the respect and admiration of his manager and team mates.

Which in itself is a great story and a testament to player development by the club. He's matured as a player, personality and captain, which is pretty much the ethos you want to see being used to good effect.

The great thing about Hendo is that he seems to keep improving, and it's obvious he has the attitude that drives him to keep working. He showed it when his place at this club was under threat, and in my opinion, he's continued to show it ever since.

Not the flashiest or the world's best, but a proper hard working, humble, tough, immensely talented player who always gives his best and has been an integral part of a team that keeps breaking records.

Polarised opinions were understandable in his early years. Any Liverpool fan who still thinks Jordan Henderson is not good enough is someone who is just too proud to accept that Hendo has already proved them wrong. Many, many times over.

I was in the upper centenary years ago and he was having a stinker, he lost the ball and I must have screamed FUCK OFF, or something similar, and this dude in front of me turned round and told me to shut up, I replied, look, I know Kenny Dalglish, Alex Ferguson and Fabio Capello all think he's going to be the best English midfielder of the next generation, but I'm a fucking expert. It was one of them moments were everyone was pissing themselves instead of ganging up on me. It seems the managers did know best after all.

EMYvCDPXYAE9rvi

I long considered that some people who achieve great things always seem to just get on with their job in an understated fashion and yet the result of their efforts are outstanding. 'Hendo style'.

As Chris Rock said, a man is only as faithful as his options.

Gerrard was one of the best players in the world and spent most of his time playing alongside absolute dross. It’s a shame and I don’t blame him for considering leaving. How many times have people looked back at previous line ups to remark on how far we’ve come - Gerrard has to play with that lot.

Henderson is a really good player but he’s never had the options Gerrard had and he’s been lucky enough to be around when we are good. That’s not to say he’s lucky to be here - he’s worked incredibly hard and is here on merit. But timing is sometimes everything.

Can you imagine a young Gerrard in this team? We would be unstoppable.

I actually thought Henderson was excellent yesterday. I've probably never seen him play that well in the DM position. He was cutting passing lines, covering space, dictating the tempo etc. But what surprised me the most was that he finally turned with the ball at his feet. He didn't do that "pass it back, I don't know who's behind me" move all the time. This alone made his overall game quicker.
It's pretty obvious that Hendo has improved, especially these last two seasons. The inclusion of Fabinho "freed" him from playing at DM, which maybe gave him some confidence back.
But no, he wasn't this good all the time, we never saw the instant impact we've seen with other players playing for LFC. With him there was a valid debate.
Is he better than Fabinho? Is he better than Wijnaldum? Milner? Hamann? Alonso? Mascherano? etc.

Club legend? He's already there.

Good post Modo. Still I think yesterday the midfield was struggling for large part of the game. I blame it especially on Ox which probably made it harder for the rest. But so many times out midfield has been controlling games better. Including Hendo.

Good post Modo. Still I think yesterday the midfield was struggling for large part of the game. I blame it especially on Ox which probably made it harder for the rest. But so many times out midfield has been controlling games better. Including Hendo.

Have to agree, I thought Ox was losing that ball too much in midfield, his dribbling was not working and kept on getting caught out. Needs to release that ball earlier, but have to admit there was a significant improvement in the 2nd half.

Henderson is a model human being. He does what be needs to without complaining... Doesn't punch DJs, shag grannies or under age girls or get caught drunk driving.

He's a really great guy... And yes, he'd walk onto most team's first XI.

The odd thing though is that he doesn't walk onto ours, and many would say he's not even in our strongest line up when everyone else is fit.

There are not many clubs in the world where the team captain isn't in the first XI. Or the vice captain for that matter.

I don't know if that matters (I don't know if it really matters who is captain at all).

Henderson is a model human being. He does what be needs to without complaining... Doesn't punch DJs, shag grannies or under age girls or get caught drunk driving.

He's a really great guy... And yes, he'd walk onto most team's first XI.

The odd thing though is that he doesn't walk onto ours, and many would say he's not even in our strongest line up when everyone else is fit.

There are not many clubs in the world where the team captain isn't in the first XI. Or the vice captain for that matter.

I don't know if that matters (I don't know if it really matters who is captain at all).

Lately, I would say he walks into our first XI, when even all the others are fit. Him and Fab plus one other.

Hes a fucking fantastic captain. Being a fantastic captain is an entirely different quality to being the dynamic and athletic freak that gerrard was. Hendos qualities as captain cant be understated. He probably knows his limitations as a player but makes the absolute best of what he has through commitment and graft.

Saying he is a better captain than gerrard really gets some backs up. He doesnt take a game by the scruff of the neck or win games with worldies because he seldom can and gerrard could because he was magnificent. As far as captain qualities go though, its hendo

Also, everyone in and around the squad love him. I had the odd chat with John Welsh when he moved up to Hull and his stance on Gerrard was pretty much 'never meet your heroes.' Didnt have time for the kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom