• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Gerrard sacked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do suspect PL players are less likely to be 'inspired' by the Steven Gerrard name. Plus, tactically he's just a whole different level. Rangers would get relegated in the PL.

it was worrying how he kept chopping and changing his attacking formation and selection. they didn´t get the chance to develop an understanding, and he didn´t have a set style of play.
Coutinho provided more problems than solutions. Seems he got too many toys.

Quite a few similarities to United in that he's bought some good name players, and some with high potential but had to persist with a bang average centre back who is English and loved by the club.

Yeah, if he does get the sack (now or soon) it’s symbolic that Mings’ shitshow against Chelsea will be what ultimately did him in.

Last edited:
Quite a few similarities to United in that he's bought some good name players, and some with high potential but had to persist with a bang average centre back who is English and loved by the club.
He did sign a centre back, dropped Mings for him, and then the new centre back got a long term injury in the first or second game.

Did they need players like Coutinho and Digne etc? Buendia and Targett were already there.

There seem to be no direction in either tactical approach or which players they sign. Recipe for getting the sack when you're an average manager.

That and he got them out of jail last season.
Still think they're a candidate for relegation this season too.

He didn't really get them out of jail though. They were outside the relegation zone when he joined. They also had a couple of very fortunate wins.

He didn't really get them out of jail though. They were outside the relegation zone when he joined. They also had a couple of very fortunate wins.
I agree, I think they were very lucky, not just with the results, the other bottom teams really stunk.

Did they need players like Coutinho and Digne etc? Buendia and Targett were already there.

There seem to be no direction in either tactical approach or which players they sign. Recipe for getting the sack when you're an average manager.

One Villa season ticket holder I know reckons Digne is a definite upgrade on Targett, What that says about Targett I dread to think.

Looks like we will see Michael Beale in the Premier League fairly soon. It will be soon apparent which one between him and Gerrard is the real deal.

What he did with Rangers was attract a couple of old mates to the club who were still too good for Scottish football despite being ancient.

At the same time, pitting himself against the managerial genius that is Neil Lennon as soon as Rodgers left.

I can’t really think of many “top” recent players who have gone into a “top” job and made an instant success of it - certainly not in England.

Most of the best managers appear to be those that haven’t had careers like a Gerrard, etc.

I did some lurking on the Villa fans forum a few months ago and the general consensus back then was that they felt that Gerrard didn't commit to the club.
Complaints about Gerrard going to LFC games, wearing LFC training kit when visiting and even playing in charity games for LFC. A bit silly imo.
But yeah, Stevie is Liverpool through and through and they hate it.

Wonder what he'll do next. Some more time shadowing some good coaches may help but it seems odd he of all people struggles to motivate his players

Wonder what he'll do next. Some more time shadowing some good coaches may help but it seems odd he of all people struggles to motivate his players

Is it? He was always very wrapped up in himself. His 'inspirational' attributes were his amazing footballing ability. When the chips were down and he was really up for it he dragged the whole team along to be better

You can't do that as a manger

Gerrard will have to take a Championship job, or move into punditry. I cannot see a PL club taking a punt on him without Beale next to him. He had a full season of games at Villa and lost 18 of them.

East to say with hindsight but he probably should have stayed at Rangers longer, gained experience and built his reputation up further.

I don't think that it's such a black mark to get sacked.

Managers with zero potential get sacked and rehired all the time. It could be that this is the beginning of the end of his managerial career, but it doesn't have to be.

Championship is brutal. It's only Oct but 9 out of 24 managers have been sacked. I think Gerrard should take the Potter route. He spent 7 seasons at Ostersund before moving to Swansea followed by Brighton. Develop players, work on his tactical/coaching & man-management skills, establish a style of play. After all, he is still only 42 yrs old.

Last edited:
Before Gerrard's departure was revealed, captain John McGinn said: "It's embarrassing to be part of. We've let the travelling fans down, the manager down. It's a bad night for us.
"It doesn't matter who's in charge of that team. It's nothing to do with the manager - the players have to look at themselves in the mirror. We've definitely not lost faith in [the manager] - it's us who are responsible.
"He's a top manager, he's hurting just as the players are. We've let him down tonight. It's up to us now to put in a performance for him."

Unfortunately that's not looking at all likely. Top half.

Think I read somewhere that Lampard averages just over 1 point per game after 30 games at Everton. That is usually just about enough to avoid relegation but well short of top half.

Gerrard points per game is actually better but not by much. Lampard will likely get this season unless he gets dragged into the bottom 3 and they panic again. But I don't see them persisting with him long term, much like Gerrard he seems to have a knack of not really improving any of the players he works with.

Before Gerrard's departure was revealed, captain John McGinn said: "It's embarrassing to be part of. We've let the travelling fans down, the manager down. It's a bad night for us.
"It doesn't matter who's in charge of that team. It's nothing to do with the manager - the players have to look at themselves in the mirror. We've definitely not lost faith in [the manager] - it's us who are responsible.
"He's a top manager, he's hurting just as the players are. We've let him down tonight. It's up to us now to put in a performance for him."

McGinn's right. Many of the same players also got Dean Smith the boot. It was a step too far for Gerrard but something's not right with the mix in that dressing-room.

Think I read somewhere that Lampard averages just over 1 point per game after 30 games at Everton. That is usually just about enough to avoid relegation but well short of top half.

Gerrard points per game is actually better but not by much. Lampard will likely get this season unless he gets dragged into the bottom 3 and they panic again. But I don't see them persisting with him long term, much like Gerrard he seems to have a knack of not really improving any of the players he works with.

Indeeed but Aston Villa expected to be pushing on and competing for European spots. Gerrard has fallen well below their expectations unfortunately.

He's been unlucky in some respects but also probably hasn't helped himself. Fans are usually a tad more forgiving if they can see a coherent strategy.

Had it coming I'm afraid. Losing half your games with that team is 1 thing.....being below the likes of Fulham Brentford and Bournemouth in the table is another.

Poor Critchley, leaving Blackpool to join Gerrard only to get the boot together. Wonder if they will remain a pair or if Critchley will go back into management himself.

Think it depends whether Stevie gets back into management straight away at another Prem side, otherwise I think he'll go back into management.

Cooper just been handed new deal, Rodgers certainly going nowhere anytime soon either after picking up some wins...does he wait to see what the situation revolving around Bournemouth/Wolves is?

Talk of Gio being under some pressure, wonder if he'd go back to Rangers?

McGinn's right. Many of the same players also got Dean Smith the boot. It was a step too far for Gerrard but something's not right with the mix in that dressing-room.

Yes in some respects it was an odd appointment. Villa had a decent side that just seemed to down tools for Smith and phone it in. A young unproven manager isn't really the prime candidate to turn that sort of situation around. I assume part of the reason he got the job was Purslow knew him well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom