• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Gerrard sacked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member

No official statement yet, but lots of reports Twitter chatter about it.

Last edited:
Safe to say Gerrard failed his audition? He was backed in the transfer market.

Correct - and I have worries about his ability and his ideas on managing a team, most of his experiences as a player have been with defensive/pragmatic coaches in GH,, and Raffa. He had an attacking coach under Rodgers but that was later in his career, and am not sure how much he picked up from that time other than the pain of not winning a league title.

I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing that he's had a tough time at Villa and will probably get the sack. Very few managers have a consistent upward trajectory with no setbacks early in their career. It hasn't worked for him at Villa despite being given money and a reasonable amount of patience. He needs to take a look at the decisions that got him to that point and where he needs to improve because otherwise if he blames the players or the board then management probably isn't for him.

He will get another go if he wants it, maybe he should go to the Championship and try work his way back through promotion. The fact he was willing to go to Glasgow to take on his first gig suggests he's prepared to take the opportunities that come his way rather than sit and wait for something to fall in his lap.

I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing that he's had a tough time at Villa and will probably get the sack. Very few managers have a consistent upward trajectory with no setbacks early in their career. It hasn't worked for him at Villa despite being given money and a reasonable amount of patience. He needs to take a look at the decisions that got him to that point and where he needs to improve because otherwise if he blames the players or the board then management probably isn't for him.

He will get another go if he wants it, maybe he should go to the Championship and try work his way back through promotion. The fact he was willing to go to Glasgow to take on his first gig suggests he's prepared to take the opportunities that come his way rather than sit and wait for something to fall in his lap.

I am intrigued as to what the issue was with him at Villa, I don't understand it personally as the squad itself when you look at each individual player - is talented. Was it his tactics, or was it a case of them not putting away their chances ? - or just fuck up from him when it came to man management. Villa was an ideal club to prove himself proper - PL club with European History, ability to buy players and build a squad, just don't get how he can recover from this. Was hoping he would do a Graham Potter type job and kick on with the club by building it up. Its bad no matter how you look at it.

So many games where they lost by just one goal. But that game against city at the end of the season. Kind of sums up his record - super close but no cigar.

The “expected points” table seem to suggest they are picking up worse results than their performances deserve. Losing summer signings Carlos and Kamara + Sarr's collapsed move didn't help too. Hopefully, he gets more time.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

Yup. Even Klopp was once relegated (albeit with a club that he took into the top division and kept them there for a while against all odds).
It's just a worry that his Villa side don't have an identity to the way they play. Does he really know what he wants his teams to do? A spell in the Championship should definitely be something he should consider.

Haven’t Villa had a ton of injuries too? That will hurt a club with a weak squad even more than it did us.
And they missed some great chances versus Chelsea. That sort of profligacy isn’t on the manager.

I'm not impressed by him to say the least. Maybe Villa wasnt the right job but he certainly comes across like he isnt ready to be a manager for a big club.
I also struggle to see any clear direction or playing style. Even with all their signings I'm not sure Gerrard knows how to set up his team in the best possible way.
They've spent a lot of money and should be a much better side.

Will he end up as a pundit in 5-10 years, after another couple of attempts to make it work as a manager?

I am intrigued as to what the issue was with him at Villa, I don't understand it personally as the squad itself when you look at each individual player - is talented. Was it his tactics, or was it a case of them not putting away their chances ? - or just fuck up from him when it came to man management. Villa was an ideal club to prove himself proper - PL club with European History, ability to buy players and build a squad, just don't get how he can recover from this. Was hoping he would do a Graham Potter type job and kick on with the club by building it up. Its bad no matter how you look at it.

He's nothing like Potter, who went to fucking Sweden and basically took an amateur club and got them to the top division, also winning the Swedish cup.
Now that's being humble.

I predicted that Gerrard would relegate Villa in his first season. I was obviously wrong, but I had a feeling that things would go bad, just from how he was as a player.

It’s strange - he was clearly so inspirational with Rangers, completely transformed that club, got a great record in Europe with them. And then showed complete lack of direction at Villa despite being fully backed by the owners. What changed?

What he did with rangers was clearly a great achievement, so it's surprising the wheels came off this quick at villa. At villa has he been given license to get who he wants, or is that decided by the higher ups? He's been heavily backed, so the players not working out looks very suspect

What he did with rangers was clearly a great achievement, so it's surprising the wheels came off this quick at villa. At villa has he been given license to get who he wants, or is that decided by the higher ups? He's been heavily backed, so the players not working out looks very suspect
Exactly

It’s strange - he was clearly so inspirational with Rangers, completely transformed that club, got a great record in Europe with them. And then showed complete lack of direction at Villa despite being fully backed by the owners. What changed?
It's the big leagues. I wish more former players would start off as assistant managers before trying it out themselves.
Not going too well for England's best and most disjointed midfield pair.

It's the big leagues. I wish more former players would start off as assistant managers before trying it out themselves.
Not going too well for England's best and most disjointed midfield pair.

Annoyingly lampard is doing alright. There's a style of play visible at least

Annoyingly lampard is doing alright. There's a style of play visible at least
That and he got them out of jail last season.
Still think they're a candidate for relegation this season too.

@rurikbird and @jan's points regarding Beale are probably spot on too (he's linked with Wolves)
http://sixcrazyminutes.com/threads/sack-race-22-23.189654/page-2#post-2162735
http://sixcrazyminutes.com/threads/sack-race-22-23.189654/page-10#post-2171487

Free-flowing football, innovative recruitment and a Brazilian flavour... how Steven Gerrard's 'special' former right-hand-man Michael Beale has TRANSFORMED QPR into Championship promotion hopefuls, with the Hoops sitting in third place in the second tier

[article]Villa goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez once said: ‘It’s the first time in 14 to 15 years of my career that the assistant coach does all the talking. He does all the training sessions, he takes all the important meetings.

‘He knows so much about football, it’s just incredible. With Michael, we felt him and Stevie G are both the managers.’[/article]

[article]After Warburton’s safety-first approach, QPR are much more free-flowing under Beale.

He has ditched the back three from last year and switched to a 4-3-3 formation, like he deployed with Gerrard at Rangers and Villa.

Under his system, his frontline is flourishing. Willock, who was injured at the end of last season, has scored six goals in nine games.[/article]

[article]‘It would take me 15 to 20 years to become as good as Michael Beale as an on-pitch coach, delivering sessions on a daily basis,’ said Gerrard on The Robbie Fowlers Podcast earlier this year.

‘A lot of people won't have a clue what Michael Beale does on the training pitch, but what he does is really quite special.’[/article]

Reactions: jan
Haven’t Villa had a ton of injuries too? That will hurt a club with a weak squad even more than it did us.
And they missed some great chances versus Chelsea. That sort of profligacy isn’t on the manager.

I have two Brighton fans in my office - they actually live there. I can tell you that they had an issue with Potter in his first two seasons because of this very issue of creating chances and not putting them away. If that is the case then Gerrard is suffering from the same thing - if his team are creating chances and not putting them away then I always say its down to them. Think back to that pandemic season - when Mane, was out of form we were not scoring in that losing period - but chances were being created. This is the key to Man City and thier methods - they create so many chances that inevitably they score goals in abundance.

Gerrard seems like he leans more towards being a cunt than he does towards being a great man manager.
Yeah, he fell back on the classic 'struggling manager' trope of blaming his players rather than taking responsibility himself. He's looked and sounded really small time, sadly. Stevie is not the only football manager with an inflated ego, but he needs to develop some humility if he's ever going to make it as a manager.

Quite a few similarities to United in that he's bought some good name players, and some with high potential but had to persist with a bang average centre back who is English and loved by the club.

What he did with Rangers was attract a couple of old mates to the club who were still too good for Scottish football despite being ancient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom