• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Gakpoll

Prefix for Poll Threads

Based on what you’ve seen (at LFC and before), will he be a success here?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...6.1730475250.1675782658-1251720145.1660529006
[article]"It's always different when you come into a team that was maybe first and winning every game, but it's now in a little bit of a difficult situation," said Gakpo.

"So for me it is to come in and show what I can. If we were in first I have to do that and now we are in another place I have to do that also. I just try to show my best side.

"The coach gave me a really warm welcome and I really appreciated it. We had a good conversation and now he is helping me to adapt as fast as possible in the team and to his style of playing. To do that I need to keep working hard and improving."[/article]

[article] "I am somebody with a direct style of playing, a hard worker and a winner," he said. "I'm an attacking player who can dribble, score and make assists. It's a good asset to have that I can play in multiple positions, but in the end I think every player has one position that he likes the most and maybe that is where the player is at his best.

"At the moment for me, I like to play on the left wing because I played there for four years so that is what I am used to, but maybe I will develop better in another position and then play there.

"I played in the middle in the FA Cup at Wolves and against Chelsea. I like it. It's more in the centre of the goal. I'm not that used to it so I have to develop in that position. I don't know if I will end up there, but (former Holland national team manager) Louis van Gaal told me I will end up in the middle so maybe I will."

Gakpo added to Walk On emagazine: "I had another style of playing back in Holland so in terms of putting pressure and running back I'm learning about that. I'm learning a lot and I'm eager to learn even more, so I'm really enjoying it. Everybody has a lot of quality here and we have a really great squad. I want to play with and against the best players because this is only good for my game, to improve as a player."[/article]

That's a great attitude.

We can put Rude Van Cuntleface and Koeman in the flop column though.

I think a big part is due to the way he has been used. It's probably going to be a long-term project (customizing him into the new role).

[article]But the Dutch forward, 23, has failed to score a goal or deliver an assist in his six appearances so far for Klopp's faltering side.

Of those matches, the Reds have won just one.

Before his arrival, Gakpo hit 13 goals in 24 games for PSV with 17 assists, along with three at the World Cup for Holland.

But at Liverpool he is averaging just four touches per game in the opposition box.[/article]

[article]The issue as far as Gakpo is concerned is that the clock continues to tick: 497 minutes across a period of six matches have now passed without the Dutchman getting on the scoresheet and there has been little evidence to suggest this is likely to change anytime soon.

This unwanted run has now placed the former PSV star in an unwanted list of forwards who have taken the longest amount of time to open their goalscoring account for the club. Only nine players since the 1945/46 season have experienced a longer drought in the final third, with one of those (Arthur Rowley) failing to score in any of his 11 appearances before leaving the club.

Others who make up the rest of this top ten list include Divock Origi (614 minutes, 11 games), Robbie Keane (688 minutes, 11 games), Dominic Solanke (690 minutes, 27 games) and Ian Rush (813 minutes, 10 games). Peter Crouch occupies the unwanted number one position (1229 minutes, 18 games).

Rush, the Reds' all-time top goalscorer, serves as an obvious example that a quick start at Anfield is not always required to go on and enjoy a successful spell at the club, though Gakpo will be eager to end his barren run before long as the Reds look to get their season back on track.[/article]

Gakpo getting ready to shut all the doubters up today by bagging a brace tonight.

Then he's gonna further quieten the doubters when he scores the match winner in stoppage time at Newcastle before firing the goals to ensure we get past Madrid.

Yeah I thought first half he was a bit meh as well, wanna see him on the half turn more and running at defences like he showed a few times 2nd half.

He seems busy within himself to just try fancy flicks into Darwin and Mo, and when it comes off it's great but he needs to be on the move more for the return.

This guy, when playing through the middle, actually looks like a decent false 9 (a Firmino-esque swag about him). When the ball is played into him, he seems to have a good touch and turn. His ball retention skills, could make a very good CF.

Also, Darwin looks a lot better coming in off the left. You can keep his chaos out wide. I prefer a safer footballer in the centre, retaining the ball under pressure.

A really good game from Gakpo today. Encouraged by what I've seen, long may it continue.

He was so impressive once he had the goal. I didn’t see anything in him from the first game till today, but maybe there’s hope yet. Really happy for him.
Now we’ve got Gakpo with confidence, Nunez tearing it up, Salah back with a goal, Jota and Firmino back, and Diaz probably back in time for Madrid.
We’re getting into the top 4 boys!

Last edited:
This guy, when playing through the middle, actually looks like a decent false 9 (a Firmino-esque swag about him). When the ball is played into him, he seems to have a good touch and turn. His ball retention skills, could make a very good CF.

Also, Darwin looks a lot better coming in off the left. You can keep his chaos out wide. I prefer a safer footballer in the centre, retaining the ball under pressure.

A really good game from Gakpo today. Encouraged by what I've seen, long may it continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom