• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Curtis Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
This guy is 6ft tall and a baller. There is no way we send him on loan, he needs to play every fucking game while he is fit and have that starting role on the left of midfield or whatever. He will learn and he is an above average type player.
WTF? Nobody would take Jones ahead of Thiago/Diaz/Carvalho even. He's not getting a run in the team unless we are injury hit or playing in the LC/FAC.

I think the point mwake was making is that Liverpool can't really afford to carry him indefinitely in the hope that he'll come good. So while it may be best for Jones' development for him to remain here, it's not necessarily best for the team.

Of course everything depends on how well he will do from now on. So far in his career, I don’t think you could really say that giving him playing time has hindered us in any way - he came into the team usually when we had no better option anyway and did his best to fit in. I cannot remember a time when I thought “Jones is stealing minutes from another more deserving player” and I don’t feel particularly disappointed when I see his name on the teamsheet. He might not score or dominate in his position, but I know every time he plays he will add something and will not hide.

It’s not easy to break into our midfield at a young age and Curtis did it - so he clear has something about him, it’s up to him now to show that he can take the next step.

Of course everything depends on how well he will do from now on. So far in his career, I don’t think you could really say that giving him playing time has hindered us in any way - he came into the team usually when we had no better option anyway and did his best to fit in. I cannot remember a time when I thought “Jones is stealing minutes from another more deserving player” and I don’t feel particularly disappointed when I see his name on the teamsheet. He might not score or dominate in his position, but I know every time he plays he will add something and will not hide.

It’s not easy to break into our midfield at a young age and Curtis did it - so he clear has something about him, it’s up to him now to show that he can take the next step.

I don't disagree... but... I think the more deserving player is the one we failed to buy.

I don't disagree... but... I think the more deserving player is the one we failed to buy.

But that so called deserving player that we failed to buy, I bet if they came face to face he would never be able to take the ball from him !!!

I don't know why - there is actually so much hate towards this fella - even more than there is (well 'was') for Nunez. I am actually excited when i see him play because he also has that unpredictable nature about him. The other night there was a moment where he was around the penalty area and had three players around him, but managed to hold them off and make a decent pass in a very tight situation. None of our other regular midfielders could do that, what we want is those skills to be used more often in the final third.

Still think he's too slow physically and mentally to play in the 4-3-3 ... He needs to be play in the '1' of a 4-3-1-2 imo to really be at his best.
But overall, he was more involved and effective yesterday than he was in the last two games - so credit to him.
Does tend to try shoot from stupid places when there are players in way better positions.
I remember one situation were his shot is blocked from the corner of left side of the box with Elliott unmarked and in acres of space to run into in the box call for the pass. That is Jones in a nutshell. Don't think he has improved as all since he has broken in to the squad

I agree with you however breaking into the team as a youngster is only part 1 of a 2 part process. Plenty of top teams have players that do this all the time. However you have to be good enough to give the club a reason not to want to buy an established player in your position. Trent, Saka and Foden have all fulfilled and answered that question at their respective clubs. Is Jones good enough to force Liverpool to say "right we don't need to buy a player because your talents are so good" I personally don't think so (I hope I'm wrong though - I really want him to succeed!).

Maybe Jones and the club find a comprise and he becomes a valuable squad member but my guess is that he's not good enough for a first team spot but good enough for another club to consider selling him for 15-25m.

He needs a run of games and a bit of patience.

He is still only 21.
True but this is Liverpool if you do a quick survey of up and coming 21 year old players for his position Jones isn't in the top 20. Is Jones better than Barca's Gavi and Pedri? Bayerns Gravenberch, Bellingham, Real Madrid's Camavinga, Palace's Michael Olise, Rennes Jeremy Doku... Hell even Chelsea's Gallagher?

I agree thought he does need a run of games and time. But this is Liverpool if you're not putting in outstanding club performances as a wonderkid the club ain't gonna wait for you at the expense of results. We will soon get someone else in which will limit his game time even more and eventually hasten a potential slide to squad player or being sold. Unfortunately as good as Jones might be, nothing I have seen from Jones so far makes me feel that isn't going to happen.

True but this is Liverpool if you do a quick survey of up and coming 21 year old players for his position Jones isn't in the top 20. Is Jones better than Barca's Gavi and Pedri? Bayerns Gravenberch, Bellingham, Real Madrid's Camavinga, Palace's Michael Olise, Rennes Jeremy Doku... Hell even Chelsea's Gallagher?

I agree thought he does need a run of games and time. But this is Liverpool if you're not putting in outstanding club performances as a wonderkid the club ain't gonna wait for you at the expense of results. We will soon get someone else in which will limit his game time even more and eventually hasten a potential slide to squad player or being sold. Unfortunately as good as Jones might be, nothing I have seen from Jones so far makes me feel that isn't going to happen.

Totally agree. You're either good enough or you're not.

No to all.

Was Milner better than Jones 25 years ago when he was the same age as Jones is now?

Yes, Milner was much more obviously skillful on the ball when taking players on, could put a good cross in, chip in with goals and was generally quicker. He was a decent winger/AM when he came through, even though back then he was still considered very much a "hardworking" player, outweighing what wasn't a shoddy skillset.

Why does Curtis Jones have to be a world beater? He can be a useful squad player, and since he's not old, maybe he'll develop into something.

I guess ideally we would have the quality one or two additions in midfield that we are screaming out for, which then begs the question of how much game time you can give to him, Elliott and Fabio? They all have quality, they could all make it, but it's difficult to incorporate and develop three players who are vying for similar positions at their respective ages when we need quality now and can't really afford to offset a couple of seasons in the hope they all become the future of the team.

I agree though, he could and hopefully will develop into something. As many have said though, it's difficult to nail a position for him. Personally I thought he had a bit of what it might take to do the Gini role, but his development has stagnated for one reason or another.

But there are varying degrees of good. I don't think anyone here is comparing him to Gavi or Camavinga. But players who showed less than what Curtis has shown at this stage in their career have gone on to become effective PL players. Players do develop nonlinearly.

The bar is not Xabi Alonso or Gerrard. If he can become more useful than Joe Allen or Ox or Lallana, that is a win for us. We save on transfer money and check the homegrown quota also.

Possibly, but it's a little unfair to compare a real player with an idealized version of someone who isn't here, might not have settled in this league etc.

But there are varying degrees of good. I don't think anyone here is comparing him to Gavi or Camavinga. But players who showed less than what Curtis has shown at this stage in their career have gone on to become effective PL players. Players do develop nonlinearly.

The bar is not Xabi Alonso or Gerrard. If he can become more useful than Joe Allen or Ox or Lallana, that is a win for us. We save on transfer money and check the homegrown quota also.
The bar has to be higher when playing for LFC.
He should have been loaned out, but I still don't see it. Look at Carvalho and Elliott.

Nonsense.

He's good enough to start in the premier league, for a worse team, or to be low down in the order for us. Do you know how unbelievably good an academy player you have to be historically to just feature in the team as he has?

I don't think he should be starting a lot, but if he's ok with that, which is a bit more likely given its his club, then what exactly is the downside?

We're going to have to bring several new midfielders in. There's zero reason to get rid of him in the near future.

Why does Curtis Jones have to be a world beater? He can be a useful squad player, and since he's not old, maybe he'll develop into something.

I agree and disagree with you... you dont have to be a world-beater to be a squad player for Liverpool, and so far potential wise that's what I can see in Jones. But to be a 1st 11 starter for Liverpool we should be setting our standards high and saying you SHOULD be a world-beater.

I agree and disagree with you... you dont have to be a world-beater to be a squad player for Liverpool, and so far potential wise that's what I can see in Jones. But to be a 1st 11 starter for Liverpool we should be setting our standards high and saying you SHOULD be a world-beater.

Yes, and he IS a squad player, which means he plays a lot when we have lots of injuries.

Be annoyed that we have injuries so often, and the rest of our midfield is in a state, don't be annoyed at the 21 year old who is just coming back from injury and has done a decent, if not great job in a couple different positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom