• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Curtis Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
I thought he played well in that LW role - gives us some of the things we were missing: physicality, press resistance, unpredictable decisions with the ball (not all of those decisions were good, but unpredictability itself makes opponents think twice). Had a few genuine scoring chances - really wish one would go in, I feel he needs a goal for his confidence to blossom.

But for his first start after a long time away, effectively a pre-season game for him, against quality opposition he did well. In a way he is the polar opposite of Elliott - Harvey is all about quick passing and ball movement, Curtis is more comfortable running with the ball and when they play together on opposite flanks these qualities kind of complement each other. This is promising, I’m starting to see the contours of a successful 4-4-2/4-2-2-2 system.

Last edited:
Missed yesterday’s game but I think that’s Jones’s best position. It fits the attributes that he has.

As I said in the match thread, always thought that Jones has talent but suffers from the fact that he doesn't have an obvious position on the pitch (well, that and his infuriating decision making).

I don't like the 4-4-2 / 4-2-2-2 system Klopp is trying to move but I suppose it's his (and Elliot and Carvalho's) best chance of making it at Liverpool.

The question is, are they going to be good enough to prop up this formation?

As thing stand right now, I'm far from convinced.

Still think he's too slow physically and mentally to play in the 4-3-3 ... He needs to be play in the '1' of a 4-3-1-2 imo to really be at his best.
But overall, he was more involved and effective yesterday than he was in the last two games - so credit to him.

I was happy to see the 4-3-3 back last night and was pleasantly surprised by how well Curtis did in the front three. I didn't watch much of him for the reserves, so does anyone know if that's where he played predominantly within the youth sides?

Still think he's too slow physically and mentally to play in the 4-3-3 ... He needs to be play in the '1' of a 4-3-1-2 imo to really be at his best.
But overall, he was more involved and effective yesterday than he was in the last two games - so credit to him.

He doesn’t have the passing game to play as the 1

I don't think he's slow, but he seems to think he's the main character, so he doesn't play the quick give and go unless he's absolutely convinced he can't make the dribble, can't take the shot, can't take one more touch. He'll come good but can't say he hasn't tested our patience.

I don't think he's slow, but he seems to think he's the main character, so he doesn't play the quick give and go unless he's absolutely convinced he can't make the dribble, can't take the shot, can't take one more touch. He'll come good but can't say he hasn't tested our patience.

Haha, that's a great way of putting it.

He's a decent Premier League midfielder and a versatile squad player for us but I can't see him doing much more than making up the numbers and filling in injury/rotation gaps for a club at our level.

I'd be curious if he would be a more impressive player for a lower/midtable side.

He's a decent Premier League midfielder and a versatile squad player for us but I can't see him doing much more than making up the numbers and filling in injury/rotation gaps for a club at our level.

I'd be curious if he would be a more impressive player for a lower/midtable side.

A case of the Grealish-itis?

He is a similar type of player.

Was Milner better than Jones 25 years ago when he was the same age as Jones is now?

He is not good enough. But he is still young and we have two more dross to bin before him so I guess he will get another season or two to impress.

If we're worried about the Homegrown quota, we should just buy Gallagher from Chelsea. He seems to suit us pretty well.

I’m not a fan, but, I’ll happily eat humble pie if the BT gang were right last night. They eluded to the fact that he’s not a CM and when he was climbing the ranks he was usually playing the role he did last night. He’s not going to replace Diaz long term as there a clear gap in quality, but if he can help out there and grow in the meantime, that’s cool.

For me he has shown way too little in the last few years to indicate he’s going to make it at Liverpool but with the state of the midfield this might be his last best chance to become more than an occasional league cup player with the club.

Be nice to see someone step up in this period of shitness.

Unfortunately for Jones unless you can do a Foden or a Trent your destined to feature occasionally and then get eventually sold to teams like West Ham or Leicester. Jones looks like that sort of player.

Decent potential but Liverpool aren't small enough to allow the nurturing time it would take to see if he has that type of potential to be world class.

Ironically if we had bought well enough last summer we could have loaned him out to a team like Notts Forest to gain some experience just as Chelsea's Gallagher did last year.

Unfortunately for Jones unless you can do a Foden or a Trent your destined to feature occasionally and then get eventually sold to teams like West Ham or Leicester. Jones looks like that sort of player.

Decent potential but Liverpool aren't small enough to allow the nurturing time it would take to see if he has that type of potential to be world class.

Ironically if we had bought well enough last summer we could have loaned him out to a team like Notts Forest to gain some experience just as Chelsea's Gallagher did last year.

I kind of disagree, actually. I think the best environment for him to flourish is here – he has been playing a decent number of minutes in the last 2 years, including in the Champions League and top-drawer EPL games, we have Klopp and a good group of players to keep his ego in check and tactically he can get a lot more sophisticated coaching than in lower level teams (it's important because his mobility and tactical flexibility is his biggest asset, but you need a specific system to fully use those qualities, a bit like with Havertz). If he does make it and fulfill his potential, it will be here and not on loan somewhere in the Championship or relegation battle.

As I said in the match thread, always thought that Jones has talent but suffers from the fact that he doesn't have an obvious position on the pitch (well, that and his infuriating decision making).

I don't like the 4-4-2 / 4-2-2-2 system Klopp is trying to move but I suppose it's his (and Elliot and Carvalho's) best chance of making it at Liverpool.

The question is, are they going to be good enough to prop up this formation?

As thing stand right now, I'm far from convinced.

I also think his entire demeanor is a bit unlikable and he sometimes gets harsher criticism because of it. Not saying that criticism of his game is undeserved but I think the intensity is a wee bit higher due to his personality. Harvey is a better player now by far, but he is also very likable which helps his case among the fans.

A certain Brendan Rodgers also thought the same of Henderson. I'd not be quick to judge players especially given the sporadic nature of his LFC career so far.

I kind of disagree, actually. I think the best environment for him to flourish is here – he has been playing a decent number of minutes in the last 2 years, including in the Champions League and top-drawer EPL games, we have Klopp and a good group of players to keep his ego in check and tactically he can get a lot more sophisticated coaching than in lower level teams (it's important because his mobility and tactical flexibility is his biggest asset, but you need a specific system to fully use those qualities, a bit like with Havertz). If he does make it and fulfill his potential, it will be here and not on loan somewhere in the Championship or relegation battle.
I think the point mwake was making is that Liverpool can't really afford to carry him indefinitely in the hope that he'll come good. So while it may be best for Jones' development for him to remain here, it's not necessarily best for the team.

there was a point last season where he showed good potential to be the next 'system midfielder' for Klopp. He needs to work on discipline but I could see him becoming a bit like gini as a ball retention master. Really hope he gets a good run of fitness and time to grow into a role, but he also needs to prove he’s coachable as we are still seeing lots of the same limitations which you can bet Klopp is trying to prevent him from doing.

If we had the squad to support it i think a PL loan could be the making of him.

This guy is 6ft tall and a baller. There is no way we send him on loan, he needs to play every fucking game while he is fit and have that starting role on the left of midfield or whatever. He will learn and he is an above average type player.

Next season he will be counted as a full squad member rather than an u21 so that's the point at which the pressure to justify your place goes up another level. Ox is gone this summer so he likely takes his position as a homegrown player.

Like others have said I wish he'd gone out on loan for a season or two when he was younger. He coasts through games and gets bailed out by better players. He's never had to stand on his own merit, a spell playing in the Championship when he couldn't go hiding behind the likes of Fabinho/Thiago/Henderson would have made him much more resilient or exposed him as a lightweight. Truth is we still don't know how good he is because he's been indulged for too long and it's made him soft mentally.

Next season he will be counted as a full squad member rather than an u21 so that's the point at which the pressure to justify your place goes up another level. Ox is gone this summer so he likely takes his position as a homegrown player.

If he is taking Ox's place in the squad next season, then the pressure to justify his place in the squad goes down several levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom