• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Covid-19 & Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, waiting 18-24 months will mean there is no PL or any football clubs left. Good luck with that.

A headline on BBC Breakfast is the government is speaking to the premier league about resuming when lockdown is being relaxed. It’s trying to bring some kind of normality to life.

In case you didn't know (I didn't) the Premier League are doing a fifa tournament. TAA is playing Sterling in the semi final today at 3pm on the Premier league youtube channel & Sky Sports 3.

The bbc have finally published the article.

[article]
The government plans to set up the first of a series of regular meetings involving senior medical directors of the major sports this week in a bid to return to action as soon as possible.

The move was described by a source close to the plans as a "quickening of the pace" and intended to help sport resume "within weeks", if progress was made.

The Chief Medical Officer's staff would also be involved in the weekly meetings, and the Prime Minister has been briefed on the plan.

The specifics of each sport would be examined by health experts to see what protocols would be needed to get each up and running as soon as possible, meaning some would return sooner than others.

Testing, social distancing, hygiene standards and strict limits on the numbers of people allowed in venues would all be debated.

It comes just days after Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden told MPs that he had been having "productive talks" with governing bodies from across British sport on restarting following the coronavirus shutdown.

However, a return to action still depends on the government's five tests being met, especially an increase in testing, and meeting social distancing guidelines.

Sport at all levels is on hold because of the coronavirus pandemic which has claimed the lives of more than 19,000 people in the UK.

• The Premier League, Women's Super League and English football leagues have suspended the 2019-20 season indefinitely, while the lower-league season in Scotland has ended.
  • Cricket in England and Wales remains suspended until 1 July.
  • The first nine races of the Formula 1 season have been called off with the British Grand Prix scheduled to take place in July.
  • The London Marathon, which had been set to take place this weekend, has been rescheduled for October.
  • Rugby union's Premiership clubs are working towards a best-case scenario of returning to action on the weekend of 3-5 July.
  • Golf's Open Championship, which had been set to take place in Kent in July, has been cancelled with the three other men's majors rescheduled.
The meetings are viewed as preparatory, and intended to avoid a further delay to seasons being resumed once approval is granted, rather than a sign that it was imminent. Indeed, there is an acceptance that the plans being put in place may not end up being implemented for months if progress elsewhere is not made.

Government officials have accepted that at this stage, sport would only be able to take place behind closed doors.

But there is a recognition that it may provide many people with a much-needed boost to morale after months of lockdown.

Officials are known to be nervous however about the prospect of fans congregating in large numbers outside stadia to celebrate if titles for instance are confirmed.

Dowden said this week that the Premier League was considering making some behind-closed-doors fixtures available free-to-air when the season restarts.

But officials are said to be mindful of commercial contracts with broadcasters Sky and BT, and recognise the importance of the revenue they generate to the sport more widely.

The Premier League holds its next meeting on Friday
[/article]

Yeah, it's retarded to say I want it scrapped.

I want us to win the league and have a massive parade and everything.

But the world is a terrible place and good things don't happen, so I'm just trying to prepare myself and all of you.

Nothing wrong with that, but you’ve probably made your point by now. As for the rest of us we try to find that glimmer of hope that will see it return as soon as possible. Things are promising at the minute with Germany and France, so fingers crossed.
Melwood will appaz open up in the middle of May, and that will be a start.

In case you didn't know (I didn't) the Premier League are doing a fifa tournament. TAA is playing Sterling in the semi final today at 3pm on the Premier league youtube channel & Sky Sports 3.
From the bits of games I've watched so far, Raheem plays like a petulant egotistical child on the virtual pitch too, and Trent is cool, calm and humble as he smashes his opponents.

I hope Sterling gets a hiding. Would be fun to watch his reaction to it.

From the bits of games I've watched so far, Raheem plays like a petulant egotistical child on the virtual pitch too, and Trent is cool, calm and humble as he smashes his opponents.

I hope Sterling gets a hiding. Would be fun to watch his reaction to it.
Better than a hiding. TAA came back from 2 down to draw, then won golden goal almost from the kick off with a boss, but scrappy goal.

That was actually an enjoyable final to watch. Never thought I'd say that.
It was, I've been surprised how watchable it is. Shame about the end result, but Trent did really well.

When real footy is back there's not a fucking chance I'll watch it, & I wouldn't if it wasn't one of our players playing it either tbh. In these times though, I enjoyed being able to shout at the telly again.

It was, I've been surprised how watchable it is. Shame about the end result, but Trent did really well.

When real footy is back there's not a fucking chance I'll watch it, & I wouldn't if it wasn't one of our players playing it either tbh. In these times though, I enjoyed being able to shout at the telly again.

Haha, I instinctively did exactly that when Trent rushed a pass to one of the forwards. Felt incredibly cathartic.

God, I hope we can get back to some kind of normality in due course. Lockdown hasn't massively bothered me being stuck at home, but the idea that everything else seems so fucked for the foreseeable is what I struggle with.

That’s amazing! Now I wonder if there is a way to beam the sound of thousands of fans watching at home live to the broadcast - with enough tape delay should be possible in theory.

We should consult City and Chelsea, presumable they have been doing such methods for years.

Moise Kean: Everton 'appalled' at 'lockdown breach' incident

The Daily Star Sunday repoeted that Italian Kean, 20, filmed himself at the party in his apartment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52425796

How does this bode for the premier league restarting? Surely it would have been based on players and managers trying their very best to control the spread of covid19, which would mean abiding by the social distancing rules...

Not only has Kean put himself at risk, but also his team mates and everyone they and himself comes into contact with. And surely this would mean that the FA has no choice than to put back the restarting date by another 2 weeks.

The club should fine him at least 2 weeks wages

Moise Kean: Everton 'appalled' at 'lockdown breach' incident

The Daily Star Sunday repoeted that Italian Kean, 20, filmed himself at the party in his apartment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52425796

How does this bode for the premier league restarting? Surely it would have been based on players and managers trying their very best to control the spread of covid19, which would mean abiding by the social distancing rules...

Not only has Kean put himself at risk, but also his team mates and everyone they and himself comes into contact with. And surely this would mean that the FA has no choice than to put back the restarting date by another 2 weeks.

The club should fine him at least 2 weeks wages

The players are all still in isolation aren't they?

In theory you could just exclude anyone, like Kean, who've been found to be in breach, from rejoining training.

The players are all still in isolation aren't they?

In theory you could just exclude anyone, like Kean, who've been found to be in breach, from rejoining training.

True... In theory, But them has he since been in contact of his team mates and coaching staff, or players from another club, that's what we need to find out

True... In theory, But them has he since been in contact of his team mates and coaching staff, or players from another club, that's what we need to find out
Hence why they will put players & staff needed into isolation, then test them, then when they have the all clear they'll join together to train together.

Same for broadcasting staff etc.

The time away from their families is why it will be a race to get it done in a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom