• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

CL 1/4 Finals : Draw and Matches

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as we don't have a deficit to make up in the second leg I think we could go through.
If they need to come at us then they will be exposed to our counter.
Gaining the advantage in the first leg might be the hard part.
It is a tough draw but these are what European nights are meant to be like.
It's nice to be back in the big time.
Let's hope we can stay here for the coming seasons.

I don't give a shit it's City - I just wanted an exciting Euro game, like going to the Bernabeu. FFS boring.

Whenever there’s a Champions League knockout draw, both fans and pundits instinctively do the same thing: check to see which sides are at home for the second legs. But is the second-leg advantage simply a misconception?
In the Champions League there is a strongly held belief that the team playing their second leg at home has a huge advantage over their rivals. It’s easy to see how this myth started when you consider that, out of 152 Champions League ties between 1994/95 and 2009/10, the team allowed to play the second leg at home progressed to the next stage 85 times.

That’s an estimated probability of 56% that the return-leg home side will progress – a margin significant enough to influence anyone’s Champions League betting.

Destroying the Myth

Unfortunately, like most myths, this is wildly inaccurate when placed under scrutiny. The result above completely ignores how Champions League second round ties are created.
cl_article_infographic.jpg

In the second round, the teams that play at home in the second leg are always the group winners. This means that most favourites get to play at home in the second leg. By placing most (if not all) of the favourites in one place, the average is skewed to the 56% we saw earlier.

For example, imagine if you moved Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern Munich and Chelsea to the north of England. Would you say that the north of England produced the best football teams? No – you would simply notice that the best teams have moved up north, and that the area has no impact.

A simple way to remove this bias is to eliminate second-round ties from the data. The later rounds no longer guarantee that the favourites will play at home in the second leg, and therefore this can more fairly determine how often the side with a return match at home progresses.

So how often do the teams playing their second leg at home – excluding the second round – progress? Exactly 50% of the time.

Let's break that down a little further. The 50% consists of teams that have fans that turn their home stadium into a scary place for the opposition, they progress 60% of the time. It also consists of teams that have shit fans who are silent or get on their own players' backs, they progress 40% of the time. So when you have a large sample of both sorts of teams, it nets out to 50%.

So someone who learned how to calculate things in the 90's, would look at what their stadium is actually like, using the real sort of empirical evidence, and then think UEFA just fucked them out of a 60% edge in the tie. It is only the spotty millennials who learned their sums in the 00's who don't possess that sort of thinking, and happily ignore the actual stuff at play before their eyes, and blindly spout off 50% because stats as if they are suddenly superior to us. You of all people should know the folly of their ways given how such logic was used to justify and sustain Lucas for a decade of because stats performances.

It's actually the last fucking team I wanted.

I still think we could do it over two legs, but I'd have really fancied us against any other side, whereas against these I just think we have a good chance instead.

I really wanted to get Real or Barca in a game over two legs & hope the other Spanish side or Bayern got City so they could knock them out for us.

Ah well, it is what it is.

They'll be just as pissed off as we are I bet.

At least Lovren will get to be at home the night before the games, so hopefully he won't be paralysed with fear at the thought of his house and/or wife being violated.

Dreamy-dore's Army!!!

I'm in it till the end!

Put it this way, there is zero chance I'm cashing out my pre CL bet when I backed us at long odds to the tune of 500 bucks.

Fuck the fear, we've been spectators in this great competition for a long time. I cannot wait until fans the world over will be tuning in to watch two of the most entertaining games of the season.

It's nice for a change to be involved while Utd and Chelsea fans watch on in disgust hoping we lose.

It's got 2005 written all over it

Put it this way, there is zero chance I'm cashing out my pre CL bet when I backed us at long odds to the tune of 500 bucks.

Fuck the fear, we've been spectators in this great competition for a long time. I cannot wait until fans the world over will be tuning in to watch two of the most entertaining games of the season.

It's nice for a change to be involved while Utd and Chelsea fans watch on in disgust hoping we lose.

It's got 2005 written all over it

Yup. And as has been said, if it has been ordained that we're to play them, better to play them now than later in the competition. If we put them out I'd think of us as favourites to win the whole enchilada.

Yup. And as has been said, if it has been ordained that we're to play them, better to play them now than later in the competition. If we put them out I'd think of us as favourites to win the whole enchilada.

No doubt if we win, the story will be that City were overhyped again but that'll suit us.

It basically means we are guaranteed to be underdogs all the way to the final.

Suits us perfectly

And whilst we're looking on the positives, at least Chelsea and Utd are out so UEFA only get to hot ball us once, the corrupt bastards.

Klopp..

Its a Dream draw for Man Utd fans..

I am only angry over the premier league moving the Everton Game to 1230 on Saturday..

Wednesday night/ Saturday morning games

Not good..

Unfortunately, City have the luxury of being able to absolutely prioritise the CL matches such is their cushion in the league. This is not a luxury we share.

I reckon that could be their undoing, we need to stay sharp and focused in every game. They'll fuck it up.

The 5-0 was an anomily.

Otherwise we've matched or had the best of them.

No doubt we'll have to be at our best but if we are we can beat them for sure
We'll be OK as long as we don't play TAA up against Sane.

And preferably we go with Klavan and VVD up against Jesus/Aguero.

We'll be OK as long as we don't play TAA up against Sane.

And preferably we go with Klavan and VVD up against Jesus/Aguero.
Klavan and VVD both play on the left side of the two centre halves and have never played together so I doubt they will both start.
Maybe Clyne will be back up to speed by the time the tie comes around

Last edited:
At least Lovren will get to be at home the night before the games, so hopefully he won't be paralysed with fear at the thought of his house and/or wife being violated.
Lovren will likely be consigned to the bench after recent performances!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom