• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

CL 1/4 Finals : Draw and Matches

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can do this..

No one gave us chance against Juve..

We ground out a nil nil at there ground..

We have a cracking away record in the champions league

We just need to make sure we score a few at Anfield without conceding

We actually just need to win at Anfield. Preferably by 2.

The Etihad isn't a fortress and we can get a draw there, so even a 1 goal win, I wouldn't mind. We just need to go into the away game with them needing to score and it playing into our hands (and counter attacking strategy).

Surely they'll have to move the derby game?

Can't be play Man City on 3rd (1st leg), then Everton on the 8th, and then the CL 2nd leg on the 10th?

Everton won't want it moved but it'll be moved to Sunday.

I'm not bothered about the draw, we can beat city, we've shown that already. Real, Barca Bayern who knows but City we can 100% get at.

We are the only side to beat them in the league so they will be shitting it.

And if we lose to them at the q/f it won't hurt as bad as a semi or the final.

Ugh. Awful draw.

I doubt they wanted us either but if I think they'll do us this time.

Couldn't give a shit about the fact everyone bangs on about them s if they are the second coming. Just pisses me off to play a fucking English team in Europe. Boring as fuck. Will have to avoid all media for weeks now. Oh, I already do...

Unfortunately, City have the luxury of being able to absolutely prioritise the CL matches such is their cushion in the league. This is not a luxury we share.

Unfortunately, City have the luxury of being able to absolutely prioritise the CL matches such is their cushion in the league. This is not a luxury we share.

We had the luxury of prioritizing the league when we faced United. Fat lot of good that did us.

Ugh. Awful draw.

I doubt they wanted us either but if I think they'll do us this time.

City, 1st leg at home, without a doubt it's the worst draw. They're probably the team i'm most afraid of playing due to ability and knowing our game, and they're also an English team, I'd rather us play teams we don't play every season. Garbage draw, I don't expect we'll go through, still, lets enjoy it.

Of course we're fucking going to win. They're a great team, but if there is any team built to counter them, it is us. We'll go into it with no fear. If Anfield is jumping as it will be and we get a lead in the tie then I would fancy us to defend it at theirs.

Of course we're fucking going to win. They're a great team, but if there is any team built to counter them, it is us. We'll go into it with no fear. If Anfield is jumping as it will be and we get a lead in the tie then I would fancy us to defend it at theirs.
I'd agree with this, if the second leg was at home. I don't fancy going to the Etihad trying to hold on to a lead.

You know City consider Anfield their hoodoo ground.

Good.

Let's fuck then up at Anfield.

I'm landing in Manchester either the day of or day before the 2nd leg, en route to Belfast.

It's a sign I tells ya.

They will be scared of coming to Anfield, and tbh their form hasnt been what it was in the 1st half of the season....

Lets hope De Bruyne and Aguero get injured...

I'd love it if we knocked that little shit Sterling out of the CL.

Wasn't bothered who we got but come on this could well have been a fix to guarantee an English team goes out

Whenever there’s a Champions League knockout draw, both fans and pundits instinctively do the same thing: check to see which sides are at home for the second legs. But is the second-leg advantage simply a misconception?
In the Champions League there is a strongly held belief that the team playing their second leg at home has a huge advantage over their rivals. It’s easy to see how this myth started when you consider that, out of 152 Champions League ties between 1994/95 and 2009/10, the team allowed to play the second leg at home progressed to the next stage 85 times.

That’s an estimated probability of 56% that the return-leg home side will progress – a margin significant enough to influence anyone’s Champions League betting.

Destroying the Myth

Unfortunately, like most myths, this is wildly inaccurate when placed under scrutiny. The result above completely ignores how Champions League second round ties are created.
cl_article_infographic.jpg

In the second round, the teams that play at home in the second leg are always the group winners. This means that most favourites get to play at home in the second leg. By placing most (if not all) of the favourites in one place, the average is skewed to the 56% we saw earlier.

For example, imagine if you moved Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern Munich and Chelsea to the north of England. Would you say that the north of England produced the best football teams? No – you would simply notice that the best teams have moved up north, and that the area has no impact.

A simple way to remove this bias is to eliminate second-round ties from the data. The later rounds no longer guarantee that the favourites will play at home in the second leg, and therefore this can more fairly determine how often the side with a return match at home progresses.

So how often do the teams playing their second leg at home – excluding the second round – progress? Exactly 50% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom