• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Blow your kone trumpet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone sold on Kone?

Alexis & Thuram look excellent additions. I’m skeptical on Kone, but maybe he’ll be one of those players like Robbo where Klopp keeps him out of the side for a while to coach him into a Liverpool player.

For 20-25 mill and what he could develop in to I think its a good move. The upside his potentially insanely good. If it doesnt work out we'll get a decent fee in return.

The problem - and it's the same with Nunez - is that if you take on a project, you need to actually play them through the development process.

There is no point us taking someone like this on and then giving them 20 odd games a season on an intermittent basis.

Nunez played in 42 games for us last season.

We’ve lost Ox, Keita and Milner. Henderson and Thiago are at the end of their careers. Games wont be an issue.

There is no point us taking someone like this on and then giving them 20 odd games a season on an intermittent basis.
Isn't this the whole point of having a squad, to rotate around with?

In those 20 games, a player can still have a major impact in the success of your season so long as they're not being brought on for the closing minutes of each those 20 games.

Klopp and his team will already know how he wants his squad shaping up for next season, I trust whatever he wants.

Isn't this the whole point of having a squad, to rotate around with?

In those 20 games, a player can still have a major impact in the success of your season so long as they're not being brought on for the closing minutes of each those 20 games.

Depends what your goals are and what promises you're making to players.

Klopp and his team will already know how he wants his squad shaping up for next season, I trust whatever he wants.

I hear the guys want to carry on waiting for the "right" players. Let's all hold our breaths whilst we wait...

holding-breath.gif

I do understand keni's point. For me, i think he'll play, and play often. I see us by November having a starting midfield as such (should we get all of them):

Mac Allister------------
---------------------------Kone---
-------------thuram--------------

With trent obviously moving forward to work with thuram.

We work a high intensity pressing game, where mobility in midfield is of paramount importance. I think the team will be rotated thusly

LCM: Ali, Jones, Thiago,
RCM: Kone, hendo, elliott
DM: Thuram, Fabs, Stefan.

I think that caters to an appropriate blend of development and experience. Add in europa, the fringe players may be more relied upon in that tournament. Games will be had by all. Then for season after, hopefully with CL, we'll find oursleves in a position to challenge for multiple trophies (providing the CB issue is resolved)

Last edited:
We’re losing Thiago next summer and Hendo is close to being finished. Smart teams start the process early, so an extra signing this season makes sense.

The club cant win it seems. Doesnt sign someone - we dont plan ahead. Sign someone - he wont get any games as a project.

We’re losing Thiago next summer and Hendo is close to being finished. Smart teams start the process early, so an extra signing this season makes sense.

The club cant win it seems. Doesnt sign someone - we dont plan ahead. Sign someone - he wont get any games as a project.

I feel, bar with our front 3, we've not been smart ...

I think 3 in midfield this season is a must. Once we've got 2 of the mids sorted, I do think we need to put a bit of extra effort in to sorting cb, as that's clearly our next area to fall apart

One positive is that we can use the EL to have a consistent midfield selection e.g. Kone, Badger, Jones to get them development time.. or even conversely use Hendo where he will be many classes above all opponents at that level.

I do understand keni's point. For me, i think he'll play, and play often. I see us by November having a starting midfield as such (should we get all of them):

Mac Allister------------
---------------------------Kone---
-------------thuram--------------

With trent obviously moving forward to work with thuram.

We work a high intensity pressing game, where mobility in midfield is of paramount importance. I think the team will be rotated thusly

LCM: Ali, Jones, Thiago,
RCM: Kone, hendo, elliott
DM: Thuram, Fabs, Stefan.

I think that caters to an appropriate blend of development and experience. Add in europa, the fringe players may be more relied upon in that tournament. Games will be had by all. Then for season after, hopefully with CL, we'll find oursleves in a position to challenge for multiple trophies (providing the CB issue is resolved)

This.

I think we could let Thiago go and utilise Morton as cover - Both he and BadgerTits “could” play in midfield and there’s also Clarkson who could fill a home grown slot as an additional backup.

That CB is important and I think Matip is the one to go, along with surely Phillips. I’d be happy to see if Van den Berg could be integrated - again, he can take a homegrown slot - but moving Matip on would open up an Overseas slot.

Upfront, Mo plays every game on the left but there may be some action for “Wee Ben Doak” and Gordon (if he’s alive!!!), leaving Gakpo, Diaz, Jota & Nunez to rotate through the other positions.

It’s a good squad if we add Kone, Thuram & a good CB.

I think 3 in midfield this season is a must. Once we've got 2 of the mids sorted, I do think we need to put a bit of extra effort in to sorting cb, as that's clearly our next area to fall apart

3 mids and 1 cb is a minimum.

Yeah, but at some point we will turn that corner. We havent been in the past but there is the hope that you learn from your mistakes..

I hope so ... the midfield issues were evident years ago - and it's terrible that 'fans' could scream about it for 3 years before the start (it better be) of fixing the issue began this summer.

I hope so ... the midfield issues were evident years ago - and it's terrible that 'fans' could scream about it for 3 years before the start (it better be) of fixing the issue began this summer.

I don’t think the issues were that evident years ago. - I mean not as big a problem as sone want to make it.

2 seasons ago Fabs & Thiago were two of the best midfielders in Europe - the main issue was Keita and the mistake was not replacing him at the start the season just ended (at the very least).

That was the big problem - well that and thinking Arthur was the solution.

I still don’t know why we didn’t sign a midfielder last summer, Mac Allister may have been available for what we paid for him.

We probably splurged on the wrong player - Nunez - we needed a striker, but surely we had an eye on Gakpo - and would he have cost more in the summer?

We shot our load on the “Nunez project” rather than the “fuck Naby project” - and we could have still pretended we were all in for Bellingham at the same time.

I think we could let Thiago go and utilise Morton as cover - Both he and BadgerTits “could” play in midfield and there’s also Clarkson who could fill a home grown slot as an additional backup.

The Blackburn fans didn't seem to rate Morton very much. Especially in the first half of the season. I think he got a bit better in the second half, but I suspect the best he can hope for is another loan this season.

The Blackburn fans didn't seem to rate Morton very much. Especially in the first half of the season. I think he got a bit better in the second half, but I suspect the best he can hope for is another loan this season.

I thought it was the opposite - he started well but dropped off towards the end.

Always hard to judge players at another team, he’s looked good when playing for us - another loan may be the best option or see how he goes pre-season.

Oh i completely agree, but i think a CB is arguably more important than a 3rd CM for this summer, if we are limited for funding. Ideally we need 3 cm and a cb
I don't see that TBH. We've lost 4 CMs from the squad, 3 more are on a downward trend and 4 are still youngsters or inexperienced. Bringing in 3 quality mids must be first and foremost.

With that done it'll greatly improve the protection afforded to the defence and we still have an excellent CB lineup even if there are doubts over Gomez (#4 CB and emergency RB) and Matip (aging but still a fine #3 CB) with VvD and Konate (young but quality and still learning). We'd need a #5 CB who I assume will be VdB and Philips will be released/sold.

I think the Back Four will be next Summer's project.

https://roversfans.com/index.php?search/2117/&q=Morton&o=date

Have a browse through. There are more negatives than positives.

Yeah - this was the general feeling :
“The Championship has clearly caught up with Morton. He started well and who doesn't remember him and young Adam Wharton bossing the midfield against Blackpool away this season (btw, where the heck is Adam?). Since then his self-confidence has been shot to pieces and he has made several severe mistakes that has led to goals for our opposition. He has a nice touch and some sort of vision but deserves his place on our bench at the moment.”

He’s got another season as an U21, so I guess it’s a big season for him where he gets loaned or used in rotation.

I feel like he might be better witholder, better players around him to guide him through development - like he’d be wasted in the reserves but also he’s not ready to run a midfield by himself.

Another one for preseason assessment.

I don't see that TBH. We've lost 4 CMs from the squad, 3 more are on a downward trend and 4 are still youngsters or inexperienced. Bringing in 3 quality mids must be first and foremost.

With that done it'll greatly improve the protection afforded to the defence and we still have an excellent CB lineup even if there are doubts over Gomez (#4 CB and emergency RB) and Matip (aging but still a fine #3 CB) with VvD and Konate (young but quality and still learning). We'd need a #5 CB who I assume will be VdB and Philips will be released/sold.

I think the Back Four will be next Summer's project.

For.me.youve highlighted the problem. We only have 2 CBS I'd deem good enough to play our current style for a decent period, and one of them is injury prone. I agree CB will be the next big project, I just don't want to be in the position like we are with the midfield.

If we get one this summer, it makes it easier to manage long term

Mmh. Wonder if Thuram will be the last midfield signing then before we turn our focus onto a RB/CB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom