• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Blow your kone trumpet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kone vs Bellingham last November. Probably his best performance of the season - impressive!

I think Gladbach play him too deep though; they don’t press enough to make use of his best qualities. He needs to be winning those tackles higher up the pitch and instantly turning defence into attack. He is more Momo Sissoko than Makelele.

Last edited:
BTW Kone and Thuram are quite different, aren’t they? Thuram seems like a fundamentally sound all-around type of talent, he can do a bit of everything and is gradually improving his game in every aspect. Can see him developing into a Pogba/Viera type. Kone on the contrary has clearly identifiable strengths and weaknesses; he’s more dynamic and explosive, but also chaotic - you wouldn’t want to rely on him as your playmaker for example. I think they would complement each other well.

Do you think we could be looking at either Thuram or Gravenberch as similar player types? @rurikbird

In a very general sense yes, but I think Thuram is much stronger and a better tackler, so he adds a whole other dimension defensively. Put it another way, if he were to play next to Fabinho he would ease the defensive burden on the DM, whereas Gravenberch wouldn’t.

BTW Kone and Thuram are quite different, aren’t they? Thuram seems like a fundamentally sound all-around type of talent, he can do a bit of everything and is gradually improving his game in every aspect. Can see him developing into a Pogba/Viera type. Kone on the contrary has clearly identifiable strengths and weaknesses; he’s more dynamic and explosive, but also chaotic - you wouldn’t want to rely on him as your playmaker for example. I think they would complement each other well.
We need both.

In a very general sense yes, but I think Thuram is much stronger and a better tackler, so he adds a whole other dimension defensively. Put it another way, if he were to play next to Fabinho he would ease the defensive burden on the DM, whereas Gravenberch wouldn’t.

I agree, and I think Thurams all round game will improve us more. The defensive side as you say is much stronger.

Mac Allister, Thuram, Kone. We can hope that everything falls into place.

Agree that there is some young Pogba/Viera feeling to Thuram's play and attributes.

Thuram definitely looks like the better athlete - quicker and more powerful. But I've been reading somewhere that the knock on Thuram is that he's a bit lazy and also weak in duels.

If you pull up the fbref stats, Gravenberch also rates significantly higher than him in tackles.

Gravenberch's style is more languid and he's not the athletic specimen Thuram is, but he might be the smarter and more mature player.

Next summer we will be talking about replacing Robbo soonish.
I think if we stick to this new formation, with 3 at the back, there's a chance that Robbo could re-invent himself as an LCB and significantly prolong his career. I don't think he has it in him to be tenacious overlapping full-back he has been for much longer - he'll be 29 this year.

There's a long history of full-backs who've transitioned into a CB role later in their careers.

Robbo has every chance of being one of them - he's smart, tenacious and has extremely high footballing IQ. I don't think he'd ever be capable in a two-man setup, but I think he can definitely be successful in a 3-man defence.

Nice manager, Didier Digard on Thuram:

«He listens and applies himself. He has room for improvement and he's in demand. He simply eats up video analysis, additional sessions. He also advises others, because he takes on a leadership role”

Nice manager, Didier Digard on Thuram:

«He listens and applies himself. He has room for improvement and he's in demand. He simply eats up video analysis, additional sessions. He also advises others, because he takes on a leadership role”

Can we just fucking get him, and not wait around ? - also while we are at it, can we also get his mate Kone ? - just hurry the fuck up LFC, the new season is almost upon us.

I think if we stick to this new formation, with 3 at the back, there's a chance that Robbo could re-invent himself as an LCB and significantly prolong his career. I don't think he has it in him to be tenacious overlapping full-back he has been for much longer - he'll be 29 this year.

There's a long history of full-backs who've transitioned into a CB role later in their careers.

Robbo has every chance of being one of them - he's smart, tenacious and has extremely high footballing IQ. I don't think he'd ever be capable in a two-man setup, but I think he can definitely be successful in a 3-man defence.

Agree completely that our formation change, along with Robbo's advancing age suggest he reinvent himself.

He should be watching what Luke Shaw has been doing recently. And then do it much better because he's a better player.

Kone vs Bellingham last November. Probably his best performance of the season - impressive!

I think Gladbach play him too deep though; they don’t press enough to make use of his best qualities. He needs to be winning those tackles higher up the pitch and instantly turning defence into attack. He is more Momo Sissoko than Makelele.

Do you remember what Sissoko looked like on the ball?

Do you remember what Sissoko looked like on the ball?

Ungainly, but surprisingly effective – he even used to be a winger at some point. This is just a comparison to illustrate where I think Kone would be most effective – higher up the pitch like Momo used to play, not at #6.

With Kone, Thuram & Mac Allistar all getting forward to support the front 3, Trent given license to play just about anywhere on the pitch as long as it’s not Right Back and Wee Robbo rampaging forward at will….

Poor the LFC Centre Backs… hope they rest up… they gonna be busy!!!

With Kone, Thuram & Mac Allistar all getting forward to support the front 3, Trent given license to play just about anywhere on the pitch as long as it’s not Right Back and Wee Robbo rampaging forward at will….

Poor the LFC Centre Backs… hope they rest up… they gonna be busy!!!
I envisaged Kone as more of the destroyer.

If we sign more than 3 mids this window, then it means Klopp is proper pissed at the current midfield we have. This is a good sign.

This Euro Expert bloke made plenty of really poor transfer predictions in the past (my favorite: “Unai Emery will be a DISASTER for Aston Villa”), but he does watch plenty of European football so a lot of his information is valuable even if his conclusions are often dead wrong. I think he’s correct in saying that Kone:
a) doesn’t fit the #6 mould, despite being an excellent ball-winner, and
b) doesn’t have elite attacking stats that would normally justify playing someone further forward.

My argument is that a player with his qualities - excellent overall technique and boundless chaotic energy - can be super valuable when integrated into a top club side, where other teammates will take care of the controlling and build-up elements where he is lacking. At Gladbach they don’t have this structure around him, so he has to do a bit of everything and looks like a mixed bag; at a top club he can focus almost exclusively on his strengths. I see him as a kind of “advanced defensive midfielder” like a modern version of Momo Sissoko where his counter-pressing will also be a powerful attacking weapon for the team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom