• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Assuming Big Virg is out for 6+ months

Prefix for Poll Threads

What are your expectations for the season going forward?

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Challenge for League but fall short

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • Top 4

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Struggle for Top 4

Votes: 8 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeTallecWiz

Doos
Honorary Member
Let's assume the worst ... because it looks like it ...
What are your expectations for the season going forward?

You forgot the option of ‘The league will be binned because Randall Flagg is taking over’...

Yeah, it's a significant injury.

So, we're left with two injury prone centre backs potentially for the majority of the season.

We're not winning the league this year. Thing is, I don't know who is.

Why should we just give up regardless of the extent of his injury?
Go for gold, and see where we end up.
13/14 style.

Sorry to say this guys, but Gomez and Matip aren't bad defenders, Alisson will come back, and they'll play well with him. Sure they'll get injured as the season goes on, but we'll adapt and change when they do, I personally don't find Fabinho in defence that upsetting.

If we play the CB pairing of Matip and Fabinho with a midfield of Thiago (as long as there's no long term injury), Hendo and wijnqldum....then our front 3 will do the rest and we win the league.

But.....and this is a massive BUT.....we've been lucky with injuries over the last couple of seasons and VVD and Allison might be just the start. An injury to mané or Salah and we're struggling for top 4.

Sorry to say this guys, but Gomez and Matip aren't bad defenders, Alisson will come back, and they'll play well with him. Sure they'll get injured as the season goes on, but we'll adapt and change when they do, I personally don't find Fabinho in defence that upsetting.

Matip is a good defender who struggles for fitness, Gomez is a bad defender who relies on pace to recover his frequent misjudgments. They will both be injured again by Christmas

If we play the CB pairing of Matip and Fabinho with a midfield of Thiago (as long as there's no long term injury), Hendo and wijnqldum....then our front 3 will do the rest and we win the league.

But.....and this is a massive BUT.....we've been lucky with injuries over the last couple of seasons and VVD and Allison might be just the start. An injury to mané or Salah and we're struggling for top 4.
Jota is a good replacement and much better than what we've had in the past, but yes, point taken.

No way is Gomez a bad defender. Fabs will be decent at centre back alongside Gomez.
Can we still play the high line as we did before the injury? No.
Its all down to how well we adapt to playing a different style and whether we can keep the new pairing fit or not. We needed a new centre back anyway, so part of it will depend on how well we recruit some the next window.

There were times last season where both Gomez and Matip were playing better than Virgil. That’s not to say they are better players and their performances weren’t heavily reliant on the big man being beside them but they are capable.

I’d feel a lot more confident with two of Fabinho/ Gomez/ Matip if Alisson was behind them.

Fingers crossed for this injury being a load of shit though

Without VVD, we have no main organiser at the back, losing him is a big deal no matter how good our other two defenders are individually, pray that whatever injury he has is not that bad, and he is back within couple of months. But regardless - we are just leaking goals like crazy right now, when we were 2-1 up did any of you have any faith we would hold onto that lead ? - again that ball over the top to the other side where TAA should be - just did the trick for the opposition, teams are now constantly looking for those vacant moments on our left/right side. All it takes is an opposition player of creative ability to recognise this and boom they are in for a chance. Don't really know what we can do other than restrict our left back and right back movements , and stop losing the ball in silly dangerous situations.

Off topic but I'm kinda worried about Trent's form and the right side in general even with VVD around... attacking wise he great but how many goals have come down the right side lately...? I know Salah is part of this issue is not just Trent, but still that's the weakness teams were targeting even with VVD

I guess with VVD not around some teams may target the left side a little bit more (though Mane and Robertson are defensively great).

Without VVD, we have no main organiser at the back, losing him is a big deal no matter how good our other two defenders are individually, pray that whatever injury he has is not that bad, and he is back within couple of months. But regardless - we are just leaking goals like crazy right now, when we were 2-1 up did any of you have any faith we would hold onto that lead ? - again that ball over the top to the other side where TAA should be - just did the trick for the opposition, teams are now constantly looking for those vacant moments on our left/right side. All it takes is an opposition player of creative ability to recognise this and boom they are in for a chance. Don't really know what we can do other than restrict our left back and right back movements , and stop losing the ball in silly dangerous situations.
Yeah we are going to have to curtail a little of the full backs exploding forward all the time thing to compensate... I wonder if we make a big for Upemecano in New Year?

We have a very good but unreliable CB in Matip and we also have a decent CB in Fabinho.
Hold out until January and buy a new one maybe?

Reactions: mom
Top 4 is going to be tough. Matip won't last long before he's injured again.
We didn't get someone in for the outgoing Lovren. So we have to hope Fabinho can stay fit, as he will be used a lot at CB this season.

Hope the club can indentify a good CB to bring in for January.

I'd be happy if we make Top 4.

Gomez is so shite, it's almost unbelievable that he was playing well a year ago.

We need to sign a center back in January.

Gomez' form is too up and down. And without the experience and leadership of VVD next to him, I reckon he will not perform at the required level.
Matip while good is too often injured, and Fab is a defensive midfielder, who can play the odd game at center back when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom