• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Roberto Martinez

Status
Not open for further replies.

peekay

Very Well-Known
is the new manager of Wigan.

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has confirmed to Sky Sports News that Roberto Martinez will be the Premier League club's new manager.

An official announcement on Martinez's appointment is expected to be made in the next 24 hours, but Whelan has exclusively revealed that the deal is done.

The Spaniard, who has agreed a three-year contract, emerged as Wigan's top target soon after Steve Bruce left the Latics to take charge of Sunderland.

Swansea were initially reluctant to allow Martinez to speak to Wigan, but Liberty Stadium chairman Huw Jenkins relented once a reported £2million compensation package had been agreed.
Excited

Martinez, who spent six years as a player with Wigan and is fondly remembered by the club's fans as one of the 'Three Amigos', is one of the most highly-rated young managers in the game.

Whelan will hold further discussions with his new manager on Wednesday when they will set a budget for adding to the squad over the summer.

He told Sky Sports News: "I'm very excited about securing the services of Roberto Martinez. I hold him in the highest regard.

"On Wednesday we will meet to discuss, amongst other things, funding for players."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5371563,00.html

Really interested to see how this one works out.

He's done a fantastic job at Swansea, leaving a team that plays the most attractive, exciting football outside of the Premier League. He did that with fuck all to spend, and shite players at his disposal.

It should serve him in good stead for his stint at Wigan.

Show's how far the Scottish League has fallen that Martinez turned down Celtic to take over at Wigan.

Well I guess Wigan will be playing some nice football next year so.

I wonder can he handle the pressure of the premiership.

[quote author=Dreambeliever link=topic=34082.msg885448#msg885448 date=1244595460]
Well I guess Wigan will be playing some nice football next year so.

I wonder can he handle the pressure of the premiership.
[/quote]

So did West Brom. Nice pretty football with little end product. A poor man's Arsenal, if you like. It'll be interesting to see if he has the balls to imbue Wigan with the same style of play as he did his Swansea team, or go for the hard to beat approach.

I like Martinez and would really like to see him succeed, but this very much conflicts with my desire to see Wigan fall out of the Premiership.

HMMMM!

He might have a bit to spend (relative to Wigan's usual budget) with the money from Palacios and the likely departure of Valencia.

I hope he does well.

I really hope he does well, his Swansea team played well and have had a good few seasons. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on.

Fair play to Wigan for giving him the chance, bringing back a guy who played for the club and has learned how to manage a football team in the lower leagues rather than going for some random foreign manager who used to be a great player.

If Martinez does well at Wigan, he might be a candidate to be Rafa's successor some time in the future.

Our squad has such a Spanish flavour these days, that it would cause less disruption if one Spaniard took over from another.

"On Wednesday we will meet to discuss, amongst other things, funding for players."

Good luck with THAT, mate! The chairman's getting more like Doug Ellis every season, but it should be a good short-term move for Martinez. He really looks promising.

i hope he dies on his arse, was looking forward to see the jacks in the prem so i could go and watch them get annihilated at the liberty

I hope he does well - he comes across as sound enough whenever I've seen him on Revista.

Plus, some fella I know is mates with him and has said he's a really nice fella.

The problem he's got is trying to get Whelan to cough up for new players, which in itself will be harder than keeping them in the Premier League.

Good luck to him, I have the unfortunate task of living next door to a Swansea fan and everytime our paths cross he jizzes all over Matinez.. Hope he does well..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom