• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Fulham (H) - EFL Semi - Weds 20:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good video - I guess they set up 4222 out of possession and then more like a 433 in possession, whereas we’re 433 out of possession moving to a 3223 in possession.

It just shows you how important pressing, progression and transition are in the current game.

The thing with them deliberately not pressing Gomez in order to direct our build-up towards him and then trapping him is interesting - this shows that against top teams and coaches your build-up is as good as your weakest link. We have a slight disadvantage with right-footed Gomez playing on the left and a right-footed Quansah at LCB and Arteta ruthlessly exploited it - it’s no coincidence Arsenal’s best chance came from Gomez’s mistake.

But also credit to both Gomez and Klopp for figuring out what was going on and finding a way to turn the tables on Arsenal. This was our first win over a “big” team this season (not counting Newcastle) and the way we took their best punch and survived will give us huge confidence going forward.

Last edited:
An issue I noticed during the game is that Trent's hybrid role puts Konate under pressure because it removes one passing option for him. Arsenal noticed this and were aggressively pressing both Quansah and Konate

An issue I noticed during the game is that Trent's hybrid role puts Konate under pressure because it removes one passing option for him. Arsenal noticed this and were aggressively pressing both Quansah and Konate

Salah used to come deeper into a RWB position to help out with build-up but Elliott/Gakpo didn’t do it enough.

CB's at times need to be a little braver on the ball anyway, step out with the ball or play a forward pass into Trent whilst he's in the midfield. It shouldn't necessarily remove a passing option as long as Trent hasn't gone somewhere to make himself unavailable for a pass and Arsenal are a very good pressing team generally so it doesn't matter what system we played, we would've been under pressure....look at Gomez when he dwelled on it for too long for example.

CB's at times need to be a little braver on the ball anyway, step out with the ball or play a forward pass into Trent whilst he's in the midfield. It shouldn't necessarily remove a passing option as long as Trent hasn't gone somewhere to make himself unavailable for a pass and Arsenal are a very good pressing team generally so it doesn't matter what system we played, we would've been under pressure....look at Gomez when he dwelled on it for too long for example.
Problem is, passing isn't Konate's forte.
We saw Matip having problems with it as well.

It can happen to the best of them, Matip tends to mess up his passes (on the rare occassion) because he's far too casual.....not because he lacks the ability or confidence. I still remember one game a few years ago, can't remember which but he misplaced about 10 passes in a row that it actually became funny.

That’s always going to be a problem when you play a good team like Arsenal that well organised.

Trent, in theory inverting, gives us an overload in the centre, meaning we should be able to progress the ball through the centre and as @rurikbird said it opens a more direct passing option to Salah or the RM if they drift out wide.

The way Arsenal play though - it’s hard for them to keep up that intensity against a top team for the whole match.

Yep, another challenge of removing a RB from our team is that playing out from the back has one less defender in position for doing this.

Everyone notices this, it wasn't some genius observation by Arteta. It's just that normally it's covered by Endo or a fully fit Mac, a half fit Mac was the issue.

Yep, another challenge of removing a RB from our team is that playing out from the back has one less defender in position for doing this.
That's not really so much of an issue though as it gives us one more option in midfield - making it easier to find a midfielder. And defenders are not under as much pressure as midfielders so it actually favours us (and City and anyone else playing the inverted FB).

Trent out of the game tomorrow with a knee injury according to Joyce. Might be back for the Chelsea game. Not ideal to say the least.

Damn, so he could miss both Fulham legs and the Bournemouth match. Hopefully Szobo is back for Bournemouth in that case.

Step up Bradders!

Will be interesting if Klopp will move Gomez to RB and play Beck or if Bradley comes in as a direct replacement for Trent.

Thiago and Bajcetic back in Feb according to Pep.
Next month the target will be March and so on and so on.

What a fucking disaster, double figures for players unavailable!!! You have to laugh.

& now I get an email from the club "due to unforeseen circumstances" the ballot result is delayed......this day is going great. Why do I have to wait another week for you to tell me I'm unsuccessful you titty fuckers.

I doubt that Klopp would risk playing Konate for two matches in a row especially considering the 3 day gap. Konate did a whole lot of running today.

If Van Dijk gets well he'll start, but I have a feeling it's going to be a Gomez and Quansah pairing.

Kelleher

Bradley
Gomez
Quansah
Beck

Macca
Gravenberch
Jones

Elliott
Gakpo
Jota

Diaz and Nunez played 90 minutes so that's why didn't pick them.

My lineup is looking very likely at the moment.

My lineup is looking very likely at the moment.
Give over, we all know it's gonna be a back 4 of Bradley Nat Rhys and Beck.

Btw that back 5 looks like the same that played at USG, only Chambers for Beck. We'd get absolutely smashed.

Give over, we all know it's gonna be a back 4 of Bradley Nat Rhys and Beck.

Btw that back 5 looks like the same that played at USG, only Chambers for Beck. We'd get absolutely smashed.
Lol, Nat and Rhys...

Difference being, we have something to play for and we're playing at home.
Macca didn't play in that game and neither did Jota.
Also, if Van Dijk is well, he'll start.

Lol, Nat and Rhys...

Difference being, we have something to play for and we're playing at home.
Macca didn't play in that game and neither did Jota.
Also, if Van Dijk is well, he'll start.

That's the worrying part.

Ironically, Milly left in search of first team football, but he could have gotten alot of football if he had just stayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom