• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Nuri Sahin, Part III (Agreed, pending medical)

Status
Not open for further replies.
All very plausible except number 4)

I would sign him to be honest - I have more faith in the likes of Dempsey doing well for us than Sahin or that Osama. Dempsey is a relentless player and will fight, the other two may not prove to be fighers when the going gets tough. Especially as Jose has pointed out that he wanted Sahin to join the PL so that he can develop certain qualities.

There will, of course, be some degree of rotation. But let's be clear, Şahin is a class above both Lucas and Allen. He'll play for two reasons: Firstly, he's not joining from Real Madrid just to continue to sit on the bench; secondly, because he's good enough to be the number one.

Then there's the issue of having an out-and-out defensive midfielder at all, regardless of whether or not it's Lucas or Mascherano or whomever. There was an argument in 2009 as to whether or not we should be playing Mascherano in all bar the top games against the top team. That's Mascherano, who was an order of magnitude better than Lucas.

Mascherano was one of my favourite players, but there's a serious debate to be had about winning the league, or doing well in it. You win, it seems, by attacking. All out attacking, even from the defensive positions in midfield. Şahin would give us that ability.

Oncy, did you write this?

Sahin having medical at Arsepool tomorrow. Said to be thrilled at prospect of playing for the Gunreds at Emirfield under Arsene Rodgers.

Its around about this time two weeks ago we thought he was signing and the place went into near meltdown. Don't get too excited yet and jinx it again!

There will, of course, be some degree of rotation. But let's be clear, Şahin is a class above both Lucas and Allen. He'll play for two reasons: Firstly, he's not joining from Real Madrid just to continue to sit on the bench; secondly, because he's good enough to be the number one.

Then there's the issue of having an out-and-out defensive midfielder at all, regardless of whether or not it's Lucas or Mascherano or whomever. There was an argument in 2009 as to whether or not we should be playing Mascherano in all bar the top games. That's Mascherano, who was an order of magnitude better than Lucas.

Mascherano was one of my favourite players, but there's a serious debate to be had about winning the league, or doing well in it. You win, it seems, by attacking. All out attacking, even from the defensive positions in midfield. Şahin would give us that ability.

Maybe he's also a class above Gerrard considering Gerrard's injury/fitness problems and his performances in the last 2 years or so.

Mental that RM are paying this lad £120k a week.
Not really, Pete. They got him on the cheap and he was widely sought after.

Maybe he's also a class above Gerrard considering Gerrard's injury/fitness problems and his performances in the last 2 years or so.
Yep, I guess there's an argument to be made there, too. He does play a different role to the one Gerrard plays though, so maybe not a direct comparison. In terms of quality? Sure.

Then there's the issue of having an out-and-out defensive midfielder at all, regardless of whether or not it's Lucas or Mascherano or whomever. There was an argument in 2009 as to whether or not we should be playing Mascherano in all bar the top games. That's Mascherano, who was an order of magnitude better than Lucas.

Good post. Also, I like that you're using the right letter in his name "Ş".

Pronounced Shaw-hin.

Not really, Pete. They got him on the cheap and he was widely sought after.

Yep, I guess there's an argument to be made there, too. He does play a different role to the one Gerrard plays though, so maybe not a direct comparison. In terms of quality? Sure.

Yeah I know - it was only like £10M too.

Delighted, thrilled, estatic, etc etc etc.

We are going to LOVE him. Can't believe we have pulled this off. Although I expect at least another ten twitter u-turns by the morning.

Oh, obv Ryan was joking about accomodating Sahin. It's a squad game yo!

Real Madrid's Nuri Sahin set for Liverpool as Arsenal end interest
By Ben Smith
BBC Sport

Liverpool are confident of completing the loan signing of Real Madrid midfielder Nuri Sahin on Friday after Arsenal ended their interest.

The Reds offered to pay a larger proportion of Sahin's £115,000 wages, swinging the deal in their favour.

There will also be an option to buy the player for £14m at the end of the loan.

"Hopefully in the next 24 hours we'll get some confirmation," said Reds boss Brendan Rodgers. "It's quite far [along]. He's a very good footballer."

Sahin had been expected to join Arsenal, having privately expressed a preference for the north London club but Liverpool and Real have now agreed a deal.

Real boss Jose Mourinho had given the go ahead for Sahin to move to the Premier League after the playmaker struggled to make an impression at the Bernabeu since a move from Bundesliga champions Borussia Dortmund last summer.

Sahin signed a six-year deal with the La Liga outfit but made just 11 appearances for them last season as they won the Spanish league title.

Sahin facts and figures

Nuri Sahin

Born: 5 September, 1988

Clubs: Borussia Dortmund II, Borussia Dortmund, Feyenoord (loan), Real Madrid

First-team appearances last season: 10

Nationality: Turkish

Fast fact: Sahin was voted the best player in the Bundesliga in a poll with Kicker magazine after helping Dortmund to the German league title in 2010-11.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19364375

I thought this lad played further up the pitch, great if he plays where stevie does. As I said in a thread earlier, stevie needs much more rest than we usually give him.

Tony Barrett on Twitter saying there's no option to buy. He's pretty adamant that the 14m is what Arsenal had asked for.

I thought this lad played further up the pitch, great if he plays where stevie does. As I said in a thread earlier, stevie needs much more rest than we usually give him.
He's a holding playmaker, no doubt about that. It's just that he's not shy of getting forward. I watching him a fair bit for Dortmund and that's where he played. Where Rodgers will play him is anyone's guess, but I'd be shocked if it's not his best position of holding midfield playmaker.

Who gives a fuck what he costs? We're in danger of needing Henderson and Adam if we get any injuries. Everton have a better midfield. Stop worrying about the money.

Tony Barrett on Twitter saying there's no option to buy. He's pretty adamant that the 14m is what Arsenal had asked for.

That makes sense. Because there's no reason for Arsenal to refuse to have an option in the contract.

Even if it's there they don't have to take it up

That makes sense. Because there's no reason for Arsenal to refuse to have an option in the contract.

Even if it's there they don't have to take it up

Maybe Sahin doesn't want his new team, whoever it is, to have a guaranteed option to buy at the end of the season. Maybe he hopes to prove Mourinho wrong and return to Madrid after one season loan.

That's just purely my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom