• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers deserves our praise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you need to go back to school Mystic. There is NO country called the United Kingdom
Just like there isn't a country called the United States, Mexico, France, Spain, Russia and so on, I didn't realise we were at that level of pedantry

Just like there isn't a country called the United States, Mexico, France, Spain, Russia and so on, I didn't realise we were at that level of pedantry
Mystic I'm not trying to be pedantic or argumentative. I just made a point that there is no country called the United Kingdom that I am aware of. It is comprised of four countries. How many countries are there in the United States, France or Spain?

A gold star if you know why it's called Great Britain.

Actually, I won't give a star, that just gets a smiley face.

Because the center of Britain is Birmingham, and the Birmingham accent really grates on folks?

Where's the mainland?

I think I know, but if there isn't even a star at stake then it's not really worth it....

OK, I will give you a star. Not a gold one though.

Oh go on then, it's Christmas. I'll give you a gold star if you tell the other kids.

Mystic I'm not trying to be pedantic or argumentative. I just made a point that there is no country called the United Kingdom that I am aware of. It is comprised of four countries. How many countries are there in the United States, France or Spain?

England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Island, by definition, aren't countries.

Because the center of Britain is Birmingham, and the Birmingham accent really grates on folks?

Where's the mainland?

Quite possibly.

Although I don't find any accent grating... It's more the person's voice than their accent that annoys me.

If you ask the Catalonians then it's 2.

gold-star-2-1.jpg
To distinguish it from Brittany.

I don't have a problem with the guys character or what he says. I do have an issue with all this praise for him so early on. There is a factor that needs to be taken into account with our current standing - and that we have had very few distractions other than the PL this season. The other top teams in the league have had to contend with Europe and some with the League cup too. If we make it into the top 4 it will be interesting to see if next season we can challenge on two fronts.

Only an idiot would fail to recognise and acknowledge the improvements we've made under Rodgers. In a relatively short period of time.

Tbh I wasn't really sure myself when the talk of a new contract for Rodgers first surfaced but the last few weeks have me convinced he's 100% the right man to take us forward!

I think they're called the British Isles by the... err... British. A bit like the way we used to talk about British India and British west Africa and all that.

Spot on. Ireland is most certainly NOT in the British Isles to anyone Irish. You'd have to be from Great Britain to make that kind of a comment, or from the States. It's a lose geographic term that's outdated at this point.

To quote the mighty Wikipedia (joking)
"The term British Isles is controversial in Ireland,[7][13] where there are objections to its usage due to the association of the word British with Ireland.[14] The Government of Ireland does not recognise or use the term[15] and its embassy in London discourages its use.[16] As a result, "Britain and Ireland" is used as an alternative description, and "Atlantic Archipelago" has had limited use among a minority in academia, although British Isles is still commonly employed.Within them, they are also sometimes referred to as "these islands".

Gutted about this result yesterday, but hopeful we'll use it to get us rare-ed up for the next game.

It's a lose geographic term that's outdated at this point.

It's outdated at this point.....to anyone who is Irish and doesn't like it.

Unfortunately, that is what it is called, just as other island groups such as the Balearic Islands or Canary Islands are
so named.

The problem is a political one that has ultimately stemmed from a certain amount of laziness and error over the years. The United Kingdom has wrongly simply become known as Britain, just because the biggest island part of it is called Great Britain.

Had that island been called something entirely different, or if the United Kingdom had just been called The United Kingdom of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, there would be no problem at all with the official term 'The British Isles' would there?

It's outdated at this point.....to anyone who is Irish and doesn't like it.

Unfortunately, that is what it is called, just as other island groups such as the Balearic Islands or Canary Islands are
so named.

The problem is a political one that has ultimately stemmed from a certain amount of laziness and error over the years. The United Kingdom has wrongly simply become known as Britain, just because the biggest island part of it is called Great Britain.

Had that island been called something entirely different, or if the United Kingdom had just been called The United Kingdom of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, there would be no problem at all with the official term 'The British Isles' would there?

Ah there would. We wouldn't want to be confused with Brittany! 😉

I say, we accept the term British Isles, if they call their language Irish instead of English. Grand?

Ah there would. We wouldn't want to be confused with Brittany! 😉

I say, we accept the term British Isles, if they call their language Irish instead of English. Grand?

Can if you like. But just like calling the British Isles something else other than the British Isles, it wouldn't be correct would it? If it was based on how many people from one place actually spoke it it would probably be American anyway wouldn't it?

Look, I am not nationalistic in any way at all, and nor do I have any kind of opinion either way on the wider UK/Irełand debate, as it doesn't affect me.

But when it comes to what a language is called, and what a geographic area is called 'Facts are chiels that winna ding' as they may say in a certain Northern part of the island of Great Britain that may or may not be considered an actual country depending on your viewpoint.

I agree. It sticks in the craw that he could well be punished for less than that old cnut Ferguson spouted on a regular basis, and by the same cowards who allowed that to happen, but two wrongs don't make a right.

It reminds me of that scene in Annie Hall when Alvy Singer is being shown loads of cheers and chuckles on the TV canned laughter device and he groans and says, 'Have you got booing on that?'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom