• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers deserves our praise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah many factors contribute to managers being loud and crass these days.
As someone pointed out in the Steve Clarke thread it's a different ball game now for the gentlemen of the game.
As for the ability thing I wasn't really having a go at him for doing the interviews but some of them are too long drawn out cheesefests.
Some of the things pointed out to the media should be kept to a need to know basis within the club.
I've no doubt Rodgers is a very good manager but I think that Brendan knows it too.
It just comes across a bit sickly at times.
Anyways it's just nit picking.

I don't think he (Semolina) was really saying that managers are louder and crasser these days, he's saying exposure to them is tenfold, so you get to see them warts and all, back then we got limited titbits in a more socially disciplined climate.

I don't think he (Semolina) was really saying that managers are louder and crasser these days, he's saying exposure to them is tenfold, so you get to see them warts and all, back then we got limited titbits in a more socially disciplined climate.

I knew what he meant I was just saying that managers these days probably need to be like that.
It's a circus these days and the ringmasters are louder than the performers most of the time.
I have no problem with the way Brendan speaks to the media but sometimes I wish he would just hold the reigns back and know when enough's enough.
As I said earlier it's just nitpicking.

I knew what he meant I was just saying that managers these days probably need to be like that.
It's a circus these days and the ringmasters are louder than the performers most of the time.
I have no problem with the way Brendan speaks to the media but sometimes I wish he would just hold the reigns back and know when enough's enough.
As I said earlier it's just nitpicking.

Yup, I guess in his defense, he's young and he's learning AND he's dealing with player power at a level that's spiraling (and a million miles away from what it was like for Shanks and Bob), so in that sense, despite the occasional WTF comment about a player who's out of favour, if you look at how the Suarez saga has gone, he's conducted himself and handled the situation and pressure that goes with that, pretty well.

I don't have a problem with the guys character or what he says. I do have an issue with all this praise for him so early on. There is a factor that needs to be taken into account with our current standing - and that we have had very few distractions other than the PL this season. The other top teams in the league have had to contend with Europe and some with the League cup too. If we make it into the top 4 it will be interesting to see if next season we can challenge on two fronts.

yes, progress, all looks good, but we have to wait and see. Definitely, I've reformed my opinion. He's done well with meager resources and many challenges to face in a short period of time. But enough about me being wrong on Martinez, let's talk about Rodgers..

Do you think that's perhaps due to your particular like or dislike for particular personality types rather than his ability as a manager? I also think the media exposure on managers is twenty fold now than it was back then. I did like Paisley though myself. He was like your kindly grandfather who brought you shiny silver cups all the time to make you happy.

...but was instrumental in forcing Aldo out of the club too early and managed to thump a pensioner who criticised him one day. Paisley the manager was extraordinary. Paisley the human teddy bear is a myth which has outlived its usefulness IMHO.

I don't have a problem with the guys character or what he says. I do have an issue with all this praise for him so early on. There is a factor that needs to be taken into account with our current standing - and that we have had very few distractions other than the PL this season. The other top teams in the league have had to contend with Europe and some with the League cup too. If we make it into the top 4 it will be interesting to see if next season we can challenge on two fronts.
But we're not talking about last season or next season. We're talking about now.

We are top of the league in merit cos we have more points than anyone else at this stage. So what if we're not in Europe, that's not our problem to worry about, so worry about it we shouldn't. We need to concentrate on getting 3 points a week and that's all.

If we win the league this season, then very few will remember what our rivals had to do, the history books report who came first.

So on the basis of what he's done this season, the way he and the club have managed the Suarez challenge, yeah I'm fucking delirious. But I'm also pragmatic enough to realise the job isn't half done yet.

Northern Ireland is not part of Britain. It is unfortunately part of the UK .... which is the United Kingdom of Britain and Northern Ireland

I think 😉

Just to be pedantic, the British Isles include the whole of Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales and all of the smaller islands around here.

The bigger island that consists of England, Scotland and Wales is called Great Britain, which has the union with Northern Ireland, hence the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

So, strictly speaking, the people of any part of Ireland could reasonably describe themselves as Irish or British, but people from Northern Ireland could also say they are UK citizens.

Try telling a catholic Northern Irishman he's British. I'd advise you stand well back if you do!

Ha! Indeed. I felt reasonably safe making my last post from the safety of my computer in South East England. In person, I probably would have kept quiet!

I think they're called the British Isles by the... err... British. A bit like the way we used to talk about British India and British west Africa and all that.

I'm worries about the fallout from suggesting Mason was biased. It's a pretty desperate tactic and likely to come back to haunt us by some member of the referee alliance.

Plus it undoes a lot of our excellent PR work of recent times and gives critics fodder against us.

I've seen someone suggest it could create a siege mentality for us. He could have just done that off the back of the lino's gaffe

Woteva. It is standard practice from managers these days. Why do you think we call them Whinger, Moaninho...

Just to be pedantic, the British Isles include the whole of Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales and all of the smaller islands around here.

The bigger island that consists of England, Scotland and Wales is called Great Britain, which has the union with Northern Ireland, hence the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

So, strictly speaking, the people of any part of Ireland could reasonably describe themselves as Irish or British, but people from Northern Ireland could also say they are UK citizens.
People from NI are regarded as British subjects and not citizens, for some reason.

I think they're called the British Isles by the... err... British. A bit like the way we used to talk about British India and British west Africa and all that.
I prefer the term 'Islands of the North Atlantic'...

We just got beat by Man Shitty. They were in the third division about five minutes ago. Sack the fucker.

Northern Ireland is not part of Britain. It is unfortunately part of the UK .... which is the United Kingdom of Britain and Northern Ireland

I think 😉
The country is the United Kingdom, people from the United Kingdom are British 🙂

Steve Clark looks like that dude everyone knows somewhere who wanders about holding a plastic bag, knows your name and wants to discuss the weather and bus schedules. If that's a gentleman I'm glad to be a cunt.

The Football Association has asked Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers to explain his post-match comments about referee Lee Mason following the game with Manchester City.

The Reds led at the Etihad through a Philippe Coutinho opener but by half-time, Vincent Kompany and Alvaro Negredo had struck to put Manuel Pellegrini's hosts on course for a 2-1 Premier League victory.

Liverpool were aggrieved early on when Raheem Sterling sprang the offside trap with yards to spare only to be flagged, and Rodgers was also irked by Joleon Lescott's late shirt-tug on Luis Suarez going unpunished.
In the wake of a defeat that left Liverpool fourth, Rodgers questioned the wisdom of assigning Bolton official Lee Mason to the fixture and called the officiating performance 'horrendous.'

But, when asked whether a pending FA charge was of concern, Rodgers said: "I was only speaking openly and honestly, after the game. I think the FA and the referees' association know that I'm someone that engages in supporting the referees.

"I'm not one that is berating referees after games, I'm always respectful and I ask my staff to be respectful, on the pitch we're never chasing fourth officials or anything on a match day. I've had a number of referees in here to help and support what they do.

Brendan-Rodgers-Liverpool_3052813.jpg

"I was only speaking open and honestly, after the game. I think the FA and the referees' association know that I'm someone that engages in supporting the referees."​

"I think they know that when I come out and make a statement like I did yesterday, it was obviously emotional after the game of course, but it was something that I will speak honestly on. As I said, whatever action they will take, they will decide.

"I have to speak on behalf of the supporters of the club, a club that has an emotional investment for many, many millions of people throughout the world. As the manager I represent them, and I'm sure where they were throughout the world yesterday they would have been asking the questions on the decision-making, which I repeat I didn't think was so good, after the game.

"In terms of geography, it wasn't the case at all, I certainly wasn't questioning the integrity of the referees. As I said before, I fully understand the job, it was more the logic of it, in terms of having a referee from that particular part of the world refereeing a game in Manchester, I wouldn't suspect that Mike Dean from the Wirral has refereed many games for Liverpool over the years."

The FA's rule E3 (1) outlaws "comments about match officials which imply bias, attack the officials' integrity or which are personally offensive in nature."

A lot of back-pedalling by Rodgers there. I thought the remarks about Mason and where he was from were completely stupid and unnecessary. I can't see how he 's going to escape punishment here.

I agree. It sticks in the craw that he could well be punished for less than that old cnut Ferguson spouted on a regular basis, and by the same cowards who allowed that to happen, but two wrongs don't make a right.

He'll get a fine. I couldnt care less as it needed to be said imho.
The thing about where Mason is from isnt stupid either as both Foy and Dean dont ref games like this because of where they're from. He didnt have to say it though.

Don't think we have had this yet

[article=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2335879/FA-replace-Cup-final-referee-from-the-Wirral.html]FA replace Cup final referee from the Wirral
By Christopher Davies12:01AM BST 25 Apr 2006

Mike Dean has the ignominious distinction of being the first referee to be removed from a FA Cup final.
Dean, a member of the Cheshire FA, lives in the Wirral, close to Liverpool, and, belatedly, the FA referees department decided this could compromise him when Liverpool play West Ham in next month's final.
The FA have "complete faith in Dean's refereeing ability, integrity and impartiality", they said. "The fact he is from the Wirral might lead to comment and debate which could place him under undue additional pressure. The decision has been taken with the best interests of Mike Dean and the competition in mind."
Alan Wiley, of the Staffordshire FA, who was Dean's replacement to officiate at the Millennium Stadium on May 13, will now take his place. Wiley was the referee for February's League Cup final in which Manchester United beat Wigan Athletic 4-0.
The change is likely to have been decided by officials at the FA's refereeing department - Neale Barry, head of refereeing, Ray Lewis, chairman of the referees' committee, and the vice-chairman David Elleray. None of the three could be reached for comment yesterday.
Related Articles
Reaching final was ‘destiny’ for West Ham 24 Apr 2006
Traditionally, the identity of the FA Cup final referee is revealed after the semi-finals, but the choice of the Cheshire FA official was first revealed on April 7, more than two weeks before Liverpool and West Ham secured places in the final.
At the time, Dean said: "I'm absolutely ecstatic. It is every referee's dream."
Match officials must sign a disclaimer listing any team they support and cannot officiate in matches with those teams.
Dean supports neither Liverpool nor Everton and has officiated in only one Liverpool game, against Sheffield United, in the League Cup, on Jan 8, 2003, and two Everton games, in the Premiership against Manchester United on Dec 26, 2003 and against Wigan on Jan 31 this year.[/article]

And there was me never knowing there was a country called the United Kingdom

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is a sovereign state, ruled by a constitutional monarchy.

The Republic of Ireland is a republican state.

'Great Britain' is the geographical name of the bigger island. Ireland is the geographical name of the second island.

Both are situated within the British Isles, which is also a geographical term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom