• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Football Finance

Could we not make money as a middle man here...

Buy Gallagher for 40mil in June and sell him to villa for 45mil in July etc

Barney Ronay:

1717688173740.png

Just get branthwaite and gordon, Fuck it, or Bailey

We should be taking advantage of this situation, rather than letting other clubs take advantage

why did the newcastle owners buy newcastle, they knew it was going to be a pain in the arse pumping the cash in

they could’ve just spent the cash up front on a higher value club with revenues that enabled them to compete? Us, United?

i can understand chelsea and city doing it back when the door was open for lashing money into the team

why did the newcastle owners buy newcastle, they knew it was going to be a pain in the arse pumping the cash in

they could’ve just spent the cash up front on a higher value club with revenues that enabled them to compete? Us, United?

i can understand chelsea and city doing it back when the door was open for lashing money into the team
United was the obvious one. Massive brand to get global exposure open to a sale

I think it’s the old story that they look at a club, see how poor its commercial operations are, think “We can do better than that”, buy it and then find they can’t do better because no-one wants to associate with a shitty brand.
Happens all the time.
It’s only then that they understand why an LFC or a Man U has such a big price attached to it.

I think it’s the old story that they look at a club, see how poor its commercial operations are, think “We can do better than that”, buy it and then find they can’t do better because no-one wants to associate with a shitty brand.
Happens all the time.
It’s only then that they understand why an LFC or a Man U has such a big price attached to it.

yea I shouldn’t be surprised they always think they know best, especially american owners when it comes to tv rights

they should just sell up and give it another go with a better club

Happens all the time.
I think also they would have taken into consideration the level of opposition from the fans to a take over which would have generated plenty of negative publicity.
Their targets seemed to have been clubs with fans who had a low set moral compass or were very desperate or preferably both

I think also they would have taken into consideration the level of opposition from the fans to a take over which would have generated plenty of negative publicity.
Their targets seemed to have been clubs with fans who had a low set moral compass or were very desperate or preferably both
Red Cafe seemed to be split on the possibility of Saudi ownership back then. So, as long as their ownership brought success, I suspect the minority of fans opposed to Saudi involvement would have been muffled

In contrast I think WW3 would have broken out if FSG had sold to the Saudis!

Red Cafe seemed to be split on the possibility of Saudi ownership back then. So, as long as their ownership brought success, I suspect the minority of fans opposed to Saudi involvement would have been muffled

In contrast I think WW3 would have broken out if FSG had sold to the Saudi
Hmmmmmmmm
I feel their is more than a few Liverpool fans who would sell to anyone if they thought that they could spend their way to a little more success though I believe that the ones who would be aghast at the prospect are in the majority.
I suspect it would be similar with Man U fans but have nothing to back that up

Hmmmmmmmm
I feel their is more than a few Liverpool fans who would sell to anyone if they thought that they could spend their way to a little more success though I believe that the ones who would be aghast at the prospect are in the majority.
You reckon?

I actually think there is an age dimension to this as well as location & political alignment. Unlike many on here my politics are not even vaguely left of centre and yet I'd storm Anfield if there was even a hint of Saudi involvement. However, oddly whilst both my boys abhour the Saudi regime they are not terribly bothered by the sports washing aspect.

You reckon?

I actually think there is an age dimension to this as well as location & political alignment. Unlike many on here my politics are not even vaguely left of centre and yet I'd storm Anfield if there was even a hint of Saudi involvement. However, oddly whilst both my boys abhour the Saudi regime they are not terribly bothered by the sports washing aspect.
I haven't put too much thought into the whole thing so you may well be right but Man U fan groups have been fairly vocal at times over issues in the past and I think this might also have triggered them.
Although going on my earlier criteria for suitable candidates for a takeover they are very much getting desperate so who knows

United was the obvious one. Massive brand to get global exposure open to a sale

yea it seemed like an obvious choice, who knows maybe they felt it to be a more legit success story to grow a club or more likely the Glazers were just intent on retaining part of the club and that wasn’t acceptable

Hmmmmmmmm
I definitely would walk away from the club if they were sold to be an oligarchs play thing.

I definitely would walk away from the club if they were sold to be an oligarchs play thing.
It would depend on the person with the 'dough'. I mean the Moores family treated Liverpool ownership a bit like that no? Plus the 'pools' were effectively gambling so you could say we were owned by a gambling co before it became a thing!

I guess oligarch is now synonimous with Russian/ex-soviet gangster though

It would depend on the person with the 'dough'. I mean the Moores family treated Liverpool ownership a bit like that no? Plus the 'pools' were effectively gambling so you could say we were owned by a gambling co before it became a thing!

I guess oligarch is now synonimous with Russian/ex-soviet gangster though
Nope. If we absolutely pumped money in I’d walk away. No matter who it was. It’s not just the background of the individual.

I can’t find the clip but I recall someone debunking the whole Littlewoods doping in the 60s/70s slur which seems to be a go to argument for fumers. We did spend but were rarely the biggest spenders. Season after season others spent more. We never lied to players to get them to sign for us. We never had off the books contracts to fiddle the books or inflate sponsorship. We were a well run club which was the envy of the world.

or some beheading supporting cunts with loads of oil. Tbh if the City case doesn't end in them being hammered that's it, i'm done with the game.

I think if the City case doesn’t end in them being hammered then it’s open season for clubs to spend what they want and FFP is dead.

For all City’s bluster about how well run they are - the City Football Group runs at a massive loss of £150m per year - or something like that - it’s only the Man City part that’s profitable (and that’s only because they’ve been desperate to show it’s sustainable over the last few years).

It’s inevitable and probably too late for a crackdown now.

Carlo Ancelotti: Real Madrid won’t play in Club World Cup​

Head coach insists European champions will not take part in Fifa’s new tournament, due to be held next year in the US, and says other teams will also refuse invite

Looks like the Club World Cup will be dead in the water.

City Football Group had racked up losses of over £1.4 BILLION by the end of 2023.
An average of £143m per annum since it was set up.
Staggering.
Its pocket change.. When you have access to printing money, an extra 2-3 bn printed going directly to the monarchs family each year, £1.4bn is nothing to them.
Sheikh Makhtom's son is reportedly worth £400m but has a yacht worth 100s of Millions of $. The UAE owner is VP of the Emirates and his brother is the President.

Its pocket change.. When you have access to printing money, an extra 2-3 bn printed going directly to the monarchs family each year, £1.4bn is nothing to them.
Sheikh Makhtom's son is reportedly worth £400m but has a yacht worth 100s of Millions of $. The UAE owner is VP of the Emirates and his brother is the President.
Yeah, of course it's no big deal to them. But it is a big deal to football. No on-the-level owner could afford to lose that much (although bizarrely Moshiri is somehow into Everton for the best part of £1bn).

Back
Top Bottom