• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

World cup squads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contextually it's gonna be "die mannschaft gehen", or something completely different that I've fucked up

I'm not very good with other languages

Contextually it's gonna be "die mannschaft gehen", or something completely different that I've fucked up

I'm not very good with other languages

That would be 'Auf gehts Deutschland ' or 'Auf gehts die Mannschaft '.

*smartarse off*

There's plenty of attacking quality with Vardy, Kane, Sterling and Alli delli, and the pace of Rashford.

Perhaps it's a bit workmanlike elsewhere, but we didn't win anything when we had the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Ferdinand, Terry and Scholes either.

Thats because we had some really shit managers and most were defensively minded. Could of done so much more with that generation.

Pretty nice thing that Klopp was the one to tell him he was going to the World Cup. Lad must be pinching himself.

Trent Alexander-Arnold has revealed Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp was the one to break the news about his inclusion in England's World Cup squad.
Gareth Southgate named Alexander-Arnold as part of his 23-man squad for the upcoming tournament in Russia, which gets underway on June 14.
Alexander-Arnold is currently in Marbella on a warm-weather training camp with Liverpool, as the Reds prepare to face Real Madrid in the Champions League final on May 26, and the uncapped 19-year-old has revealed that Klopp was the one to inform him he had made the cut with England.

"I'm honoured, excited and feeling really proud," Alexander-Arnold told Liverpool's official website.
"It was an unbelievable moment to find out I was going to go to the World Cup, especially at a young age. It's probably capped off a really good season for me.

"I found out this morning, just before we came out to Marbella. The manager came and spoke to me just as we were getting on the plane.
"He asked me if I knew anything about the squad or anything yet. I said, 'no' and he said, 'Have you got anything planned around the time of the World Cup?'. I was like, 'No, no holidays or anything...'.

"He said to me, 'OK, good... You're in the squad!'. It was a really proud moment. On England's behalf, it was nice of them to let the manager tell me."
Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson was also named in Southgate's 23-man squad alongside Alexander-Arnold, although Joe Gomez and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain missed out through injury.
England face Tunisia in their opening game of the tournament on June 18.

Gotta feel for Bertrand played 9/10 of the last games withdrew from the last squad and is dumped. Not even on stand by.

Trent must be absolutely buzzing.

What's the deal with Hart, how come he's so shit these days? I seem to remember he was pretty decent a few years ago.

What's the deal with Hart, how come he's so shit these days? I seem to remember he was pretty decent a few years ago.

He certainly seems to have deteriorated, but that might be partly confidence and lack of stability. When he was winning trophies with City, he was a decent keeper, but it's also possible that the flaws he had were always there, just less exposed - certainly he's never been great with his feet, and he's also slow to get down to shots from distance, and that's always been the case.

I can't remember who it was but some pundit on Talksport pre-season said that Hart's demise began when coaches/players realised he was so weak diving to the left. This surprised me as I had not noticed THAT particular weakness but having watched closely this season it is quite laughable how many mistakes he makes to that side and how every player is focussing on getting shots away to his left. He's finished as a top level keeper.

Very surprised not to see Lallana in the squad.
Loftus-cheek wont kick a ball, neither will TAA.
Lallana should be in there. England dont have anyone else like him.
It's such an English (manager) thing to do. Over many years talented players have missed out in favour of utilitarian dross. It is highlighted by Hoddle's ridiculous decision to pick Rob Lee (who very obviously wasn't going to get any game time) in preference to Gazza who (admittedly had just overcome an injury) could have done more in a 15 minute sub appearance than any other member of the squad.

It's such an English (manager) thing to do. Over many years talented players have missed out in favour of utilitarian dross. It is highlighted by Hoddle's ridiculous decision to pick Rob Lee (who very obviously wasn't going to get any game time) in preference to Gazza who (admittedly had just overcome an injury) could have done more in a 15 minute sub appearance than any other member of the squad.
Agreed but the Sven took a half fit Beckham and Owen to Japan and it fucked up.

I really hope Lallana gets in.
A staring role in Kiev will help.

Taking 2 half-fit players is daft but one should always be accommodated if needs be as there will always be a Rob Lee (or Danny Welbeck) to leave behind.

I can't remember who it was but some pundit on Talksport pre-season said that Hart's demise began when coaches/players realised he was so weak diving to the left. This surprised me as I had not noticed THAT particular weakness but having watched closely this season it is quite laughable how many mistakes he makes to that side and how every player is focussing on getting shots away to his left. He's finished as a top level keeper.
I never would have thought it would be something so basic as this...

It's better this way. He will rightly feel depressed and have no hope of making it into the squad, and therefore he will be even more determined to perform in Kiev as his last chance to get something memorable out of an otherwise shite year for him.

Lallana has been injured all season, made a comeback in March, and had to come off again injured. He's played hardly any football. Why would Southgate take him?

If he wanted to make a "risky" selection then Sessegnon would have been more interesting. I wouldn't take an unfit player EVER.

By a country mile the worst England squad assembled for a major tournament. In fairness Southgate didn't have too many options although the selection of Welbeck is laughable. I would have taken a load of kids to give them the experience and accept that the quarter finals would be the absolute maximum expectation.

Due to how bad the CB's are I would have only picked Cahill, Maguire and Smalling and Dier could become an emergency CB if required. I'd use the extra space to include James Maddison in midfield. Replace Welbeck with Lookman who is doing very well in the Bundesliga. I would also leave a right back out (Walker, Trippier and AA is overkill) so I'd leave Trippier out and replace him with Jack Grealish. I'd also take Lallana instead of Loftus-Cheek.

Starting 11 should be...........................

......................................................Pickford...........................................
.................Walker..................Cahill....................Maguire..............................
Alex-Arn.................................................................................Rose
..............................Dier....................Henderson...............................
.......Sterling............................................................Alli
.......................................Kane..........................................

If somehow England could qualify after 2 matches (ridiculous I know) I would get all experimental for the game against Belgium

......................................................Pope...............................................
.................Walker..................Cahill......................Maguire.......................
Alex-Arn......................................................................................Rose
..........................................Dier...........................................................
..........Maddison........................Lallana........................Lookman
............................................Rashford..............................................

With Grealish given 30 minutes too.

Lallana has been injured all season, made a comeback in March, and had to come off again injured. He's played hardly any football. Why would Southgate take him?

If he wanted to make a "risky" selection then Sessegnon would have been more interesting. I wouldn't take an unfit player EVER.
I think 23 players is a luxury than can afford to take one risk. A Beckham, Gazza etc can do more in 10 minutes than a Rob Lee or Danny Welbeck have done in their entire careers. Worth the risk IMO (depending on them passing a fitness test first obv.

I think 23 players is a luxury than can afford to take one risk. A Beckham, Gazza etc can do more in 10 minutes than a Rob Lee or Danny Welbeck have done in their entire careers. Worth the risk IMO (depending on them passing a fitness test first obv.
And I am aware that I'm kinda equating Lallana to Beckham and Gazza which requires a bit of a leap of imagination but in that he would be a creative force in a sqaud that is desperately short (if not devoid) of flair players I think I can just about justify the comparison.

And I am aware that I'm kinda equating Lallana to Beckham and Gazza which requires a bit of a leap of imagination but in that he would be a creative force in a sqaud that is desperately short (if not devoid) of flair players.

I'm very surprised he didn't take Shelvey who would be a deeper playmaker option. His long range passing would have been perfect to take advantage of Vardy and Kane up front. All of the midfielders are very solid, but are hardily playmakers.

I'm very surprised he didn't take Shelvey who would be a deeper playmaker option. His long range passing would have been perfect to take advantage of Vardy and Kane up front. All of the midfielders are very solid, but are hardily playmakers.
Yeah maybe I would go for Shelvey ahead of Maddison.

Yep, his passing range is something that none of the others have. That would have been a risk worth taking, although he does seem to be the sort of player who you'd have to build the entire team around to get the best out of, so maybe the "risks" are more sensible if they're shit-or-bust impact players who can rescue/ change a game very quickly.

I should be a manager.

Yep, his passing range is something that none of the others have. That would have been a risk worth taking, although he does seem to be the sort of player who you'd have to build the entire team around to get the best out of, so maybe the "risks" are more sensible if they're shit-or-bust impact players who can rescue/ change a game very quickly.

I should be a manager.

Managers don't think in terms of such risks anymore. They get data on players, then make decisions based on the average pass completion and average this or average that. So they ignore the vastly more likely things to happen either side of those averages, and have no plan in place for it. What you should do is forget about the average, and put the entire distribution of outcomes into your decision making process. So instead of 56% being used, you use a distribution of P(%)'s. Then when you combine all the distributions together, you'd arrive at the same conclusion you just did by using your brain instead.

France boss Didier Deschamps has announced a 23-man World Cup squad this evening, who he will take to Russia next month.

As follows:

Goalkeepers: Hugo Lloris (Tottenham Hotspur), Steve Mandanda (Marseille), Alphonse Areola (PSG)

Defenders: Djibril Sidibé (AS Monaco), Benjamin Pavard (VfB Stuttgart), Raphaël Varane (Real Madrid), Presnel Kimpembe (PSG), Adil Rami (Marseille), Samuel Umtiti (FC Barcelona), Lucas Hernandez (Atletico Madrid), Benjamin Mendy (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Paul Pogba (Manchester United), N’Golo Kanté (Chelsea FC), Corentin Tolisso (Bayern Munich), Blaise Matuidi (Juventus), Steven N’Zonzi (Sevilla), Thomas Lemar (AS Monaco)

Attackers: Kylian Mbappé (PSG), Olivier Giroud (Chelsea FC), Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid), Ousmane Dembélé (FC Barcelona), Nabil Fékir (Lyon), Florian Thauvin (Marseille)

Reserves: Wissam Ben Yedder (Sevilla), Kingsley Coman (Bayern Munich), Benoît Costil (Bordeaux), Mathieu Debuchy (St Étienne), Lucas Digne (FC Barcelona), Alexandre Lacazette (Arsenal FC), Anthony Martial (Manchester United), Adrien Rabiot (PSG), Mamadou Sakho (Crystal Palace), Moussa Sissoko (Tottenham Hotspur), Kurt Zouma (Chelsea).

He has a bag of riches to choose from does Didier. No laporte. Interesting rabiot on stand by. Only 5 recognised MF and two central strikers. 4-3-3 perhaps?

He has a bag of riches to choose from does Didier. No laporte. Interesting rabiot on stand by. Only 5 recognised MF and two central strikers. 4-3-3 perhaps?

Mendy has not played this year ... Dembele has struggled for Barca ... the kid from Seville who's been great not even named ... great team obviously but their best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom