• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

World Cup of the Damned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uruguay were dull as fuck, and as Hansern says, no plan.

I think Argentina are a bit similar, but are better organised and in general better quality players, and Messi carries the can.

You mean from the usual defensive Uruguay team who were eliminated in the group stage ? He hardly had the ball any time at all over those matches and even more rarely in any dangerous situations.

Hmm who's opinion carries more weight ... Modo or Ancelotti ?

Joke !
The problem for me was that Uruguay didnt play to his strengths or set him up with the chance to impact the game. In one they paired him with Cavani who clearly is over the top and finished at top level.
Defensive minded, no attacking plan and a team that didnt look like they were allowed to push many men forward.

If its one thing we've learned its that international tournaments are no place to judge whether or not players will succeed at club level. El-Hadji Diouf being the best example.

It's same type of excuses we made for Carroll.
I'll answer your question with a question, whose opinion carries more weight Modo or Kenny Dalglish?

OK, trolling aside. Nunez is better than Big Andy, but I still think he was really poor in the world cup and I don't buy the Uruguay didn't play to his strength excuse.

It's same type of excuses we made for Carroll.
I'll answer your question with a question, whose opinion carries more weight Modo or Kenny Dalglish?

OK, trolling aside. Nunez is better than Big Andy, but I still think he was really poor in the world cup and I don't buy the Uruguay didn't play to his strength excuse.
Well of course they didn’t. Wrong starting 11, outdated ultra defensive tactics etc…name me an Uruguayan that came out of the tournament with any credit?

If you can’t, I’d suggest that’s a pretty strong pointer towards the set up being all wrong.

Well of course they didn’t. Wrong starting 11, outdated ultra defensive tactics etc…name me an Uruguayan that came out of the tournament with any credit?

If you can’t, I’d suggest that’s a pretty strong pointer towards the set up being all wrong.
Their defenders were pretty solid.

OK let's say we didn't buy him, would he have impressed you this world cup? Would you look at him and go, "wow, that's a £100 mill player right there".
Neither would anyone want us to have Salah based on his international performances. I don't know why it matters. Uruguay aren't going to make a striker look good.

I think we bought a £80 mill (or whatever) project

We bought him for his potential rather than for what he is now, that's absolutely true.

But why would liverpool supporters debate how Nunez looked in the world cup when we've all been focused in on him over many many matches, and will be doing the same again. Especially when the real question seems to be "should we have bought him."

OK let's say we didn't buy him, would he have impressed you this world cup? Would you look at him and go, "wow, that's a £100 mill player right there".
But he’d impressed me immensely in the games he played against us and a few other that I watched when he was in Portugal.

As others have said, the World Cup is hardly the place and competition to judge a player’s ability.

This argument about Nunez is embarrassing now - and shame on anyone that keeps doubting him. The only games this season where we look like winning are the games in which he is playing in (forget Leeds - that was a stinker for the whole team). By his own stats for us in terms of starting games / goals scored - it is already world class level, and add to that the chaos he causes for the opposition, we know he is a special talent. I do not see how anyone can make an argument against him. Of all the strikers that have been mentioned - take out Mbappe and really the only one that suits us is Nunes - and I would go further to say that if we had signed that other fella that plays for City - he would not be so effective for us because we don't tend to play in such a way that we put the ball at the strikers feet in the final penalty area.

Also - can I just say anyone that thought Brazil would win a world cup with a guy like Richarlison as their front man is kind of deluded. There is no version of the Brazil team that has ever done well in any world cup without a world class striker up front in the traditional sense. Those early ones in 58, 62, and 70 was the Pele era, and the later ones in 94 they had Romario, in 98 they reached the final with R9, and in 2002 they won it with the likes of R9, Rivaldo up front both were world class finishers of their time. There is no version of Brazil where they go onto win a world cup where their main strikers best achievements are playing for the likes of Everton/Spurs. Fucking hell honestly - it is such lazy media reporting when they made Brazil the top dogs for this world cup - what an absolute joke.

But he’d impressed me immensely in the games he played against us and a few other that I watched when he was in Portugal.

As others have said, the World Cup is hardly the place and competition to judge a player’s ability.
Obviously, I really want him to succeed but I can't lie and say that I didn't expect more from him. Even if his national team is shit or defensive, I still kinda want him to stand out. I mean, before he joined people were talking about how he was a mix between Suarez and Cavani. I just don't see it.
Honestly, just ignore my pessimism, don't get all wound up about it, I'm just venting because I wanted him to be better.
I was expecting the same type of effect Suarez had on the team when he joined.

Obviously, I really want him to succeed but I can't lie and say that I didn't expect more from him. Even if his national team is shit or defensive, I still kinda want him to stand out. I mean, before he joined people were talking about how he was a mix between Suarez and Cavani. I just don't see it.
Honestly, just ignore my pessimism, don't get all wound up about it, I'm just venting because I wanted him to be better.

I like this grown-up, sensitive and self-aware version of @Modo. And yes - I know what you’re saying. Nunez could be very effective and exactly what we need up front, but he doesn’t at the moment seem like a great footballer akin to Suarez.

Last edited:

Ah that's the difference I guess. I totally expected him to be a shit Andy Carroll, so every goal he scored warms my heart.

We all want that - but it's unrealistic and maybe similar to Mo playing for Egypt. If the team is shite you can't expect miracles or even a player to shine.

Modo's right about some of the over-enthusiasm in some of the posts on here before we actually went in for Nunez, which did go beyond the available evidence IMO. There's also the age/experience comparison: when Suarez came to us he was already a seasoned international, captain of Ajax and used to playing far away from his home country, whereas Nunez still has a good deal of ground to cover to reach a similar stage in his career. I think he's settling to his task now though.

ronaldo-haircut.jpg

Possibly. But it would be so unlike us to buy the flavour of the month!
It would be unlike us to buy anyone full stop, especially for a position we need as we tend to just say...we'll wait till next season.

Reactions: Raz
Hakimi was a bit crap too and left a few gaps, anyone comparing to Trent would be comparing Trenf of the last 3 months rather Trent of last 5yrs.
Regarding buying players and especially midfielders just based on 6 int games is a bit mental when you apparently have our scouting and data science teams working for years on identifying the right player, WC could be used as an indicator but nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom