• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Virgiling on the vandijkulous

I have a theory, we've reached an agreement to buy VVD in January (strange how no other teams bid for him?)
That way he can return fully motivated to the fold for Southampton , which keeps them happy, starting to regain his fitness which will be right up to speed by Jan for us.
If he'd signed now, it would take him a couple of months to get near full match fitness anyway. We'd be getting a peak VVD in Jan, ready for the Title/Champs league run in !
This theory eases my pain.
I'm happy to accept and go with that !

Talk we didn't make a final bid. I wonder if this is going to piss VVD off and make him not want to come to us in the future considering he did everything he could to push through a transfer.

Talk we didn't make a final bid. I wonder if this is going to piss VVD off and make him not want to come to us in the future considering he did everything he could to push through a transfer.
Just because we didn't make a final bid doesn't mean that we weren't having talks with Southampton. Maybe they just told to not even bother making a bid and we didn't.

Last edited:
Talk we faced sanctions if we bid without being invited to.

Not sure how that works give the FA said there was a lack of proof we tapped him up. The whole episode is embarrassingy amateur. I'm surprised VVD remains even at all interested in us.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Not sure how that works give the FA said there was a lack of proof we tapped him up. The whole episode is embarrassingy amateur. I'm surprised VVD remains even at all interested in us.

This. And at this stage he probably doesn't.

I'd imagine he knows every move we made, and Southampton's, via his agent.

As a club we're surely entitled to inquire without being invited. Not many clubs invite another club to bid for a player. I do think we owe VVD now - we got him convinced he should join us, then cocked it up, and left him to try to force his club to let the deal happen. It's very delicate - we can't blunder into another tapping up controversy, but we need to keep up some kind of discreet contact with his representatives, in the hope we can get him in January.

He and his agent are also culpable in this, so let's not make this a one way street.

Also, if reports are to be believed Southampton went from (a) he was going nowhere, (b) if they were to sell it would be to anybody but Liverpool, (c) his contract had a clause allowing his moving after two years and (d) it would take a mind-blowing offer [from Liverpool] to get him. It's probably all of the above, quite possibly at the same time, too. I'm betting that we've kept the channels open on this one. If another move fails, life still goes on ...

Probably because he is meh, and plays better with a shield in front of him
Hehe...could be.
Definitely makes his work a lot easier, but he does have some individual skill sets that set him apart from other defenders as well. Maybe the move to England gave him the necessary motivation to excel.
I don't know...it still baffles me that he was our only CB option.

It's possible there were other options, but Klopp was salty as fuck and told the club to shut the fuck up this time. Thus it was never leaked and we never heard about it. Without those usual leaking and public tapping up rituals, there was no leverage for us to get the deal done, thus it looks like we did nothing.

It's possible there were other options, but Klopp was salty as fuck and told the club to shut the fuck up this time. Thus it was never leaked and we never heard about it. Without those usual leaking and public tapping up rituals, there was no leverage for us to get the deal done, thus it looks like we did nothing.
I didn't see us get linked with any other defender out there.

Hehe...could be.
Definitely makes his work a lot easier, but he does have some individual skill sets that set him apart from other defenders as well. Maybe the move to England gave him the necessary motivation to excel.
I don't know...it still baffles me that he was our only CB option.

It shouldn't. Season after season we've gone for those other "options" and watched them fail to improve us. It seems that Klopp wants to see the back of that approach, and I agree with him. If he reckons that no other realistic option was actually better than what we have, he and we were absolutely right not to sign one.

So you think it was all a part of the plan to finally end up with no CB?

No that wasn't the plan. You couldn't understand what we were thinking having no other alternatives, so I used my superior brain to identify alternative explanations and motivations for the club's actions, Littlefinger style. I determined that after we were grassed up by Southampton, Klopp was furious, he overreacted, and then demanded that the club don't use underhanded methods lest they mess up the alternative target. Thereafter, the media was never briefed about the alternative which is why you have assumed one doesn't exist. Furthermore, without the pressure of leaks to the media and getting in the targets ear using secret meetings and tapping up, we unsurprisingly failed to make any progress and couldn't get the transfer done.

That theory ignores both Oxlade Chamberlain & Lemar coming out & saying they only want to play for us.

That doesn't happen unless they've already spoken to us & want to buy what we're selling, meaning we were still tapping up, I just assume we're not being so blatant about it.

That theory ignores both Oxlade Chamberlain & Lemar coming out & saying they only want to play for us.

That doesn't happen unless they've already spoken to us & want to buy what we're selling, meaning we were still tapping up, I just assume we're not being so blatant about it.
When did lemar say that about us? I thought he just didn't want arsenal

Maybe the defender we wanted was from our own league, from a smaller team who might grass us up. It was Evans.

Then again, maybe not. Decent player but it's no accident he found his niche in a team managed by Tony Pulis. Guardiola's not the first coach I'd turn to for advice on defensive matters.

Back
Top Bottom