• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

UEFA Investigators Set to Seek Manchester City’s Ban From Champions League

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Wet WetDreambeliever
Who are the current top 5 teams in Europe as of right now?

Well it would depend what you base your criteria on doesn’t it.

I would go by trophies and CL success.

So currently

Barcelona
City
Real
Bayern
Juventus

Sustained domestic success or CL success.

If we win the CL and back it up next season with more trophies we could break in

According to DB logic, we're not even in the Top 2 in England, as we have won nothing - Chelsea, Arsenal & Utd have all won trophies in recent seasons so are obviously better than us (between -25 and -32 points better than us in fact).

To make it simple - no one disagrees that we need to win trophies, however trophy count is not the only measure of how good a team is

We have been the second best team in the league this season. It’s one season only.

We need to back it up next season.

Chelsea have won 2 titles in the last 5 years.
Utd have also finished second and won a European trophy and a domestic trophy.

We are knocking on the door but we need trophies to break through imo

Well it would depend what you base your criteria on doesn’t it.

I would go by trophies and CL success.

So currently

Barcelona
City
Real
Bayern
Juventus

Sustained domestic success or CL success.

If we win the CL and back it up next season with more trophies we could break in

I literally just meant the top 5 best current teams.

It's no more complicated than that. It doesn't need complex measurement criteria. Just who would beat who most consistently.

IMO we were clearly better than Bayern and Barca. There aren't 3 other teams better than them, so...

Which, again, is exactly why nothing will happen.

They will have anticipated this coming at some point and will have prepared for it. If it gets further than expected they'll just hire some hot shot lawyers that will worm them out of any serious punishment.

As previously mentioned anyway, they'll most likely get a fine and a suspended sentence. Possibly even a "hefty" fine. UEFA look strong by imposing a seemingly harsh fine on City - while lining their coffers - and City happily pay it as even figures in the hundreds of millions are a drop in the ocean for them.

That scenario suits everyone and makes everything go away with minimal mess.

I have absolutely no faith in anything coming of this.

I literally just meant the top 5 best current teams.

It's no more complicated than that. It doesn't need complex measurement criteria. Just who would beat who most consistently.

IMO we were clearly better than Bayern and Barca. There aren't 3 other teams better than them, so...

Current right now?

Hmm City clearly.

After that it’s close between a few teams including us.

Yeah I agree, City are the best team in the world right now.

Why we should sign at least a couple more top players this summer imo.

I to win something and then I want to win something again because that’s what top teams do.

We are playing well but we need consistent trophies to be talked about as one of the best 5 imo.
The only thing PSG (repeatedly because they have no competition) have won recently are worthless French cups, the only thing Bayern (repeatedly because they have no competition) have won recently is in Germany, the only thing Juve have won (repeatedly because they have no competition) is in Italy. All failures in Europe. And those are the best three leagues outside the PL.

If you can't see what the common factor is then you are just being deliberately obtuse. We are clearly currently one of the best 5 teams in Europe, lack of silverware notwithstanding. Even your beloved United fans on RedCafe are claiming we're one of the best 5, or better, most see only City and Barca above us.

City are literally 1 point better than us, and it could have easily been the other way round

They came from 7pts behind us to win 14 in a row to win the lesgue with 98 points a season after winning it with 100 points.

They are most likely about to complete the domestic treble.

They are the best side in the world at the moment, whether we like it or not.

The only thing PSG (repeatedly because they have no competition) have won recently are worthless French cups, the only thing Bayern (repeatedly because they have no competition) have won recently is in Germany, the only thing Juve have won (repeatedly because they have no competition) is in Italy. All failures in Europe. And those are the best three leagues outside the PL.

If you can't see what the common factor is then you are just being deliberately obtuse. We are clearly currently one of the best 5 teams in Europe, lack of silverware notwithstanding. Even your beloved United fans on RedCafe are claiming we're one of the best 5, or better, most see only City and Barca above us.

We’ve come 2nd in our league once in 5 years after scraping for top 4 for 4 years and have won nothing. Hopefully that changes in 2 weeks but regardless we need to be top 2 again next season to be considered to be really up there.

Yeah, making it to the final in every European competition we've played for 3 years running doesn't make us one of the best teams in Europe.

But if City drew one of their last 14 matches, we would have been up there, without changing a thing about our team, results or performances.

They came from 7pts behind us to win 14 in a row to win the lesgue with 98 points a season after winning it with 100 points.

They are most likely about to complete the domestic treble.

They are the best side in the world at the moment, whether we like it or not.

Below average in Europe though for the money they've spent.

Yeah, making it to the final in every European competition we've played for 3 years running doesn't make us one of the best teams in Europe.

But if City drew one of their last 14 matches, we would have been up there, without changing a thing about our team, results or performances.
We didn't need them to drop any points in their last 14 matches if Stones had been 1.1cms slower !

Europa league is a second tier cup so not relvenent to this discussion.

If buts and maybe.

Fact is we have had one second place finish in England in 5 years and nowhere near close apart from that. We haven’t won a cup in 7 years.

We need to win the CL and be in the top 2 next season. Then we can claim to be one of the top 5

We’ve come 2nd in our league once in 5 years after scraping for top 4 for 4 years and have won nothing. Hopefully that changes in 2 weeks but regardless we need to be top 2 again next season to be considered to be really up there.
How does that change AT THIS PRESENT MOMENT we are one of the Top 5 teams in Europe ? It doesn't. None of those previous versions of LFC matter. You can ask practically anyone (commentators, fans, media ... except yourself) from any country to name the current Top 5 teams in Europe, we'd likely appear in over 90% of those lists. It's really impossible to argue against that .. and yet here we are.

How does that change AT THIS PRESENT MOMENT we are one of the Top 5 teams in Europe ? It doesn't. None of those previous versions of LFC matter. You can ask practically anyone (commentators, fans, media ... except yourself) from any country to name the current Top 5 teams in Europe, we'd likely appear in over 90% of those lists. It's really impossible to argue against that .. and yet here we are.

I already said if you are basing it on right now this second fair enough.

That’s a silly thing to do though.

I was referring to who are the biggest clubs in Europe and right now I can’t see us being there. Just like Spurs won’t be even if they win the CL in 2 weeks.

The last 2 times we’ve seriously challenged for the league we fell off a cliff the following season.

We need avoid that next season.

Nevermind that, even winning the Champions League won't be enough according to Dreamy.
We could do the quad next year but it wouldn't be enough because you need to do it five years in a row...

By Dreamy's logic someone could run the 100 metres in a world record time but not be considered the quickest because they didn't do it in the Olympics.

I already said if you are basing it on right now this second fair enough.

That’s a silly thing to do though.

I was referring to who are the biggest clubs in Europe and right now I can’t see us being there. Just like Spurs won’t be even if they win the CL in 2 weeks.

The last 2 times we’ve seriously challenged for the league we fell off a cliff the following season.

We need avoid that next season.
Do not think for one moment that we don't notice how you are trying to obfuscate by moving the goalposts. NOBODY has said 'biggest clubs'. The debate is where we stand with regards being one of top 5 teams in Europe as of this moment, and as you have now admitted (not that there is any debate if logical parameters are set), we are one of the best.

Do not think for one moment that we don't notice how you are trying to obfuscate by moving the goalposts. NOBODY has said 'biggest clubs'. The debate is where we stand with regards being one of top 5 teams in Europe as of this moment, and as you have now admitted (not that there is any debate if logical parameters are set), we are one of the best.
One night a few years ago (ok, 20 years ago) myself and some friends were having beers and chatting away. As you do. Anyways, I can't remember how but the conversation turned to the colour of that year's student cards (we were all in uni at the time). One friend chimed in with "I don't know why they made it pink", the rest of us all looked at each other as the card was quite clearly red. This debate went on for a bit, one guy saying it was pink and everyone pointing out that it was quite clearly red. The argument ended with Mr Pink saying "Well, I'm colour blind anyway but it looks pink to me".

That's what this argument feels like.

Europa league is a second tier cup so not relvenent to this discussion.

If buts and maybe.

Fact is we have had one second place finish in England in 5 years and nowhere near close apart from that. We haven’t won a cup in 7 years.

We need to win the CL and be in the top 2 next season. Then we can claim to be one of the top 5

Dutch, German, French and Italian leagues are also second rate so may as well just say Ajax, Bayern, PSG and Juventus are shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom