• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Thur thing boss!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit. Ibou is our best ever french player
Pongo has a lot of credit in the bank for important goals.

Does Peggy count as French? He won 6 trophies despite playing twice(?)

3427633a10160b4963eb9b17fcb98bfe.jpg

Of course. Le tallec.
Think djimi represented Mali, but born in France. Maybe

Laval from what i remember, only because i drove past Laval on holiday one time and thought ‘oh djimi traore is from there’

This has got me worried now, they really have been shit - i.e. our past French players.

Not sure what the debate is about. Traditionally French players have excelled in England. You could make a 1st 15 from French players currently in the PL and they'd easily finish top four.

They're visually and culturally indistinguishable from the English.

We haven't signed many good French players because from 1995 to 2011, 80% of the players we signed were championship level.

Jean Michel Ferri, Alou Diarra, Damien Plessis, Patrice Luzi

Alou Diarra was mismanaged by Houllier and then Rafa but went on to have a successful career. Captained France at the World Cup as well.

I'm getting Naby Keita Highlight Reel vibes from Kone

There is something 'off' about him in possession. He seems slightly clumsy, as though he dribbles and then runs into people or goes past them with a fortunate bounce of the ball. I've not seen to much of him, but the eye test makes him look like a player that would need a massive step up to adjust to a quicker more technical league.

Thuram on the other hand looks a more complete player if not as dominant a ball winner as Kone. He has an extra gear in terms of changing pace and carrying the ball into dangerous areas. Kome seems like a very high level prospect but one that still needs work to polish the rough edges.

Not sure what the debate is about. Traditionally French players have excelled in England. You could make a 1st 15 from French players currently in the PL and they'd easily finish top four.

They're visually and culturally indistinguishable from the English.

We haven't signed many good French players because from 1995 to 2011, 80% of the players we signed were championship level.

Thats whats mad. There's countless examples of excellent french players in our league....just not with us.

Its a mad anomaly

This has got me worried now, they really have been shit - i.e. our past French players.
Ibou has been the only French signing we've made in the last 10 years since Sakho arrived?

& Sakho wasn't exactly shit, just failed to kick on from expectations.

Thats whats mad. There's countless examples of excellent french players in our league....just not with us.

Its a mad anomaly

Viera, Henry, Giroud, Clichy, Distin, Petit, Pires, Wiltord, Flamini
Makelele, Desailly, Gallas, Leboeuf, Anelka, Kanté,
Cantona, Evra, Blanc, Barthez, Pogba, Saha, Silvestre
Payet
Ginola

Ibou has been the only French signing we've made in the last 10 years since Sakho arrived?

& Sakho wasn't exactly shit, just failed to kick on from expectations.
Wouldn't say he was great either. Prone to so many brain fart moments

Wouldn't say he was great either. Prone to so many brain fart moments
I wouldn't disagree with that, the signing we've made in the past of the same nationality shouldn't really be brought up when signing new players.....especially when you've only signed 1 in the past 10 years.

Do you know who our last 2 Senegalese signings were before Sadio.....? This is more the point I was trying to make.

Kone is much the rougher diamond but has more creativity but if I had to choose between Viega or Kone I'd choose Viega. Call me greedy I'd like all 4.
As to buying French and not working, well Ibou bucked that trend. Since Klopp's been here he has really only bought three on the field flops - Karius, Naby and Ox all 3 had serious injuries. Karius wasn't that bad until he broke his hand then just became scared of the ball. Naby and Ox could never play more then 3 games and not be injured. We have all seen the players we've been linked to, tall strong, athletic, with certain amount of pace or the ability to read the game...

[article]
Everton star drops major Khephren Thuram Liverpool transfer hint
Khephren Thuram has been linked with a move to Liverpool this summer

SPORT
By
Connor O'NeillFootball Writer
  • 18:01, 6 JUN 2023
  • UPDATED22:57, 6 JUN 2023

Everton forward Neal Maupay has hinted that Khephren Thuram is close to becoming a Liverpool player.
The 22-year-old midfielder, who is the son of legendary French defender Lilian Thuram, enjoyed an impressive campaign for Nice this season. Thuram featured in 35 Ligue 1 games, scoring twice and claiming four assists.
The ECHO understands the Reds are hopeful of concluding a deal for the Brighton & Hove Albion midfielder Alexis Mac Allister before he jets off on international duty. Liverpool have made the Argentina international their primary target as Jurgen Klopp looks to overhaul his midfield options after seeing his team drop out of the Champions League for the first time since 2017.
And according to Maupay, speaking to French sports show GymTonic, Thuram could soon become Liverpool’s second midfield summer arrival after revealing the pair could be set to become “neighbours”. He said: “He’s a great player. We could be neighbours soon.”

Speaking at the UNFP awards, however, Thuram said he "hopes to grow" with Nice and suggested he would not be on the move this summer.
"I want to progress, go on the field, have fun," he said. "For now, I'm in Nice. It's going very well. I really like the club, so I still see myself in Nice. I am very well in Nice.

"There are noises, I hear, but I'm happy in Nice. I hope to grow with this club. I would like him [manager Didier Digard] to stay because he brought a lot to this group when it was in a difficult period.
"I don't know if I tell him enough but he's someone I can never thank enough. He helped me a lot in difficult times in my young career. We worked a lot together. I wish him only happiness, in Nice, or elsewhere."
[/article]

[article]
REPORT: Liverpool hold preliminary talks over double signing

David Lynch reported the news.

Share this article:

With Alexis Mac Allister likely to be announced as a Liverpool player on Wednesday the Reds will reportedly turn their focus to two other midfield stars.
Khéphren Thuram of Nice and Manu Kone of Borussia Mönchengladbach have been hotly tipped as potential new Liverpool signings.
Nils Schmadtke, the son of new Liverpool sporting director Jorg Schmadtke, has been announced as new position of first-team sporting director at Borussia Mönchengladbach. With Liverpool currently interested in Manu Kone of Borussia Mönchengladbach it could make for interesting negotiations.

David Lynch, of the FootballInsider, has reported that Liverpool have held preliminary talks with the representatives of both French stars.
Khéphren Thuram shared a video on Instagram of both himself and Kone socializing in France in recent days. The strong friendship of both 22-year-old will be beneficial should they arrive to Merseyside.
[/article]

Speaking of French Flops - This guy was awful. GH had an awful eye for French talent, probably because he didn't watch it much.
[article]
Liverpool made 'unlucky' £3m signing whose career fell apart after major referee error
Alexis Mac Allister is poised to join Liverpool as a World Cup winner - but it didn't work out well for one previous such transfer

SPORT
By
Ian DoyleChief Liverpool FC Writer
  • 09:00, 7 JUN 2023
  • UPDATED09:47, 7 JUN 2023
0_GettyImages-1131843413.jpg

Former Liverpool midfielder Bernard Diomede (Image: Jose Breton/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

Liverpool and Jurgen Klopp know all about the impact a goalline decision can have on a season. But did you know it can also make or break an entire Reds career?
Such was the case for Bernard Diomede, the most successful player who never was at Anfield.
Diomede completed a £3million move from Auxerre 23 years ago today having been part of then-manager Gerard Houllier's summer overhaul.
At the time he was only the third player in Liverpool's history to possess a World Cup winners' medal, having been part of the France squad that triumphed in their home country in 1998.

Roger Hunt had won with England in 1966 and Karl-Heinz Riedle with Germany in 1990. Later, Gerry Byrne and Ian Callaghan would receive medals for being members of the winning England squad, while Fernando Torres, Pepe Reina, Xabi Alonso and Alvaro Arbeloa won with Spain in 2010. Alexis Mac Allister is poised to add to that list.
Diomede remains in very select company. However, scratch beneath the surface and it was perhaps evident his reputation wasn't quite as revered as his fellow World Cup winners.

Diomede only made his France debut less than six months before the tournament began and featured three times in the World Cup finals themselves, none from the quarter-finals onwards. In fact, his 76-minute runout against Paraguay in the round of 16 was his final outing for his country. He won just eight caps.
The winger, though, did claim the Ligue 1 title with Auxerre in 1996 and, arriving at Liverpool aged 26, should have been approaching his prime. But it just didn't happen. Having made his debut in the UEFA Cup win over Rapid Bucharest, he was given his Premier League bow against Sunderland in September 2000.
An all-action display should have been capped with a goal just before half-time with a remarkable overhead kick television replays indicated had crossed the line before being cleared by goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen.

1_zzdti18207.jpg

Bernard Diomede (far left) was part of Liverpool's summer recruitment drive under Gerard Houllier in 2000
The officials, though, waved play on. It would have been the winner, with Liverpool drawing 1-1.
Diomede started the second leg against Rapid but, after injury, made only a 36-minute appearance from the bench at Manchester City as Liverpool went on to win a cup treble and qualify for the Champions League.
The Frenchman played the full 90 minutes of the Champions League qualifier second leg against Haka the following season, creating a goal for Emile Heskey, and that was it. The £3m outlay had given Liverpool five appearances and no goals.
"He's been very unlucky," said Houllier at the time. "I brought him here to give us some width, but then he got injured and, by the time he'd got himself back to fitness, the team had moved on."
Diomede spent the second half of 2002/03 on loan at Ajaccio in France before moving on a permanent basis. Within three years he was playing in the French third tier and, after 18 months without a club, he retired in January 2008.
Indeed, Diomede became something of a figure of fun when the France rugby union squad named their cockerel mascot after him for the 2003 World Cup in New Zealand. Diomede was less than amused, while the cockerel was soon sent home after being diagnosed as suffering from depression.
There is, though, a happier ending. Diomede, along with his wife, set up a football academy in 2008 near Paris that continues to help youngsters progress in both the game and their education. And the former Red has coached at various age levels with the French national youth teams and is currently boss of the under-18s.
Still, there are those who wonder what might have happened to his Liverpool career had that overhead kick been correctly allowed...
[/article]

Is it being greedy if you’d only settle for 2 more??

……but those 2 would have to be Jude and Mbappe…..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom