• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

This is the Veiga

Status
Not open for further replies.
No we shouldn’t and no it wouldn’t.
Stop being status quo merchant. You end up agreeing with me anyway (like needing MFs, like finishing outside the top four if we didn't get any, and like having Trent in MF). I swear you even ended up liking Ugarte.

Stop being status quo merchant. You end up agreeing with me anyway (like needing MFs, like finishing outside the top four if we didn't get any, and like having Trent in MF). I swear you even ended up liking Ugarte.

We always needed midfielders - we just didn’t agree about how many, how quickly and which ones.

Finishing outside the top 4 was down to other factors as well.

I still don’t think moving Trent into a more rigid midfield works unless we’re making huge changes elsewhere.

I have no opinion on Ugarte.

Newcastle also being in for him is some further reassurance. Their recent recruitment has been savvy. I can't say I've seen the lad play, but his season highlights do look impressive, with contributions all over the park. He looks well-rounded, technically able, tall and strong enough to adapt to the physicality of the PL.

I presume he would be in the RCM position. If so, and were he to sign, the balance would need some working out with Trent pushing into the middle. It's going to be a position which is played uniquely, in terms of at times staying wide to free space for Salah and Trent, sometimes covering and supporting Konate, but also pushing inside and also providing an out ball. He would likely find himself curtaining his natural attacking instincts at times.

It's also a position I would expect Macallister to adapt to faster given he's demonstrated being very tactical savvy, knows the league and speaks English already, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Macallister starting on the right and then moving to the LCM when over players are up to speed on the demands of the role.

I disagree - with pretty much everything ! Opinions eh.

Elliott has a long way to go to reach the standard of a Thuram or Ali Mac or to proving he is capable of starting in a PL challenging side, so no I don't see him starting ever unless we have 3 midfielders down, and no I don't believe Klopp would leave better players on the bench unless forced into it, Thiago, Fabs, Gini and more recently Gakpo, Diaz and even Nunez were all in from the start or very shortly thereafter, with a full pre-season there would be zero reason not to start them from the off.

If we buy 3 midfielders it would be far better for Elliott to go out on loan.

Elliot is 2 years younger than Thuram and 4 years younger than Mac Allister - he’s arguably played more at a high level than both at the same age and suffered significant time out with injury.

I don’t think a loan is the worst idea - but it’s down to that old problem - we either have to buy ready-made players over the age of 21 or we need to give younger players the game time they need to develop.

I think there were times last season Harvey was our best midfielder and that’s not ideal - He’d be another that would benefit from have a more settled, better and more function midfield around him.

To be honest - I think he’s ideal for what we need - there are things he needs to improve, but if that right sided role is about creativity, providing the overlap outside Salah, ball retention & possession and closing down & pressing - then I think he’s got the skills, the attitude, work rate and most importantly time on his side to be a very good player for us.

I think I'd rather see the minutes be given to Morton/Bajcetic/Doak for the style we play.

Harvey for me doesn't fit in, & I don't particularly think he's that good anyway....if we can get 20-25m for him somewhere, that'd be brilliant business.

I disagree - with pretty much everything ! Opinions eh.

Elliott has a long way to go to reach the standard of a Thuram or Ali Mac or to proving he is capable of starting in a PL challenging side, so no I don't see him starting ever unless we have 3 midfielders down, and no I don't believe Klopp would leave better players on the bench unless forced into it, Thiago, Fabs, Gini and more recently Gakpo, Diaz and even Nunez were all in from the start or very shortly thereafter, with a full pre-season there would be zero reason not to start them from the off.

If we buy 3 midfielders it would be far better for Elliott to go out on loan.

Regardless of whether Harvey is ace or not, he stays and plays.

Klopp is not going to get rid of young players who know the system and are premier league “proven” and replace them immediately with young players that have never played in England.

The step up from France and Germany and then to our system is a big one - ask Fabs.

Weren't Ojo Ibe Ejaria Brewster Solanke all binned off by Klopp? They weren't good enough and we received decent offers for them, so off they went. Don't be fooled into thinking the same wouldn't happen to Harvey.

He barely featured in the last 10 games of the season when we went on that unbeaten run.

Weren't Ojo Ibe Ejaria Brewster Solanke all binned off by Klopp? They weren't good enough and we received decent offers for them, so off they went. Don't be fooled into thinking the same wouldn't happen to Harvey.

He barely featured in the last 10 games of the season when we went on that unbeaten run.

I think Ojo and Ejaria were released for free.

I think Ojo and Ejaria were released for free.

Ojo possibly in the end, Ejaria we got a fee of around 3-5m.

We may have even rejected a 10-15m fee from West Brom for Ojo when he was still on our books.

But it negates the point that Klopp doesn't get rid of young players, he will move them on if a) he doesn't feel they're good/suited and b) too good an offer comes in for the club to ignore. Rhys Williams looks next to depart.

Last edited:
Regardless of whether Harvey is ace or not, he stays and plays.

Klopp is not going to get rid of young players who know the system and are premier league “proven” and replace them immediately with young players that have never played in England.

The step up from France and Germany and then to our system is a big one - ask Fabs.
Why not ask Torres? Or Suarez ? Or any of the other top players who have come straight into the side and been successful. It's a very illogical argument ... PL proven.

And Elliott isn't all that so they wouldn't have to be that great to be better.

Elliot is 2 years younger than Thuram and 4 years younger than Mac Allister - he’s arguably played more at a high level than both at the same age and suffered significant time out with injury.

I don’t think a loan is the worst idea - but it’s down to that old problem - we either have to buy ready-made players over the age of 21 or we need to give younger players the game time they need to develop.

I think there were times last season Harvey was our best midfielder and that’s not ideal - He’d be another that would benefit from have a more settled, better and more function midfield around him.

To be honest - I think he’s ideal for what we need - there are things he needs to improve, but if that right sided role is about creativity, providing the overlap outside Salah, ball retention & possession and closing down & pressing - then I think he’s got the skills, the attitude, work rate and most importantly time on his side to be a very good player for us.
Whatever his ceiling is, and we'll have to agree to differ there although obviously I hope you're right, he's not at the level, or anywhere near, that of the players we are bringing in, it's why they are rated £35m and way up and he's a 20 yr old kid that's not.

So assuming we bring in 3 (MacAli, Thuram +1) and that Hendo (BU RM), Fabs (BU DM), Thiago (BU LM) and Bajectic (a better player for us IMO and BU DM, BU RM) and Doak (a far better RW and Salah BU than Elliott) are still here that leaves him way down the pecking order. A loan should happen.

Why not ask Torres? Or Suarez ? Or any of the other top players who have come straight into the side and been successful. It's a very illogical argument ... PL proven.

And Elliott isn't all that so they wouldn't have to be that great to be better.

If we’d signed Suarez or Torres at 20 they’d likely have not been regular starters for us either.

At 20, Torres was in his second season playing in La Liga with Atletico and Suarez was leaving Groningen for Ajax.

I don’t think the comparisons are either fair or valid.

At 20, Elliot has played more games for Liverpool than Trent, Henderson was still at Sunderland at 20, having played less Premier League games than Elliot.

At 20, Elliot has played only a few less premier league games and scored the same amount of premier league goals (1) as Steven Gerrard.

At 20, Elliot has a record similar to James Milner - Milner has played more and scored 1 more goal.

None of this means Harvey is as good as any of them - though it also doesn’t mean he can’t achieve a significant amount in the game.

I think people are writing him off way to early - he only turned 20 in April.

I’m all for bringing in another midfielder to play on the right - with whoever that is and Harvey competing for that spot with Hendo being phased out.

Whatever his ceiling is, and we'll have to agree to differ there although obviously I hope you're right, he's not at the level, or anywhere near, that of the players we are bringing in, it's why they are rated £35m and way up and he's a 20 yr old kid that's not.

So assuming we bring in 3 (MacAli, Thuram +1) and that Hendo (BU RM), Fabs (BU DM), Thiago (BU LM) and Bajectic (a better player for us IMO and BU DM, BU RM) and Doak (a far better RW and Salah BU than Elliott) are still here that leaves him way down the pecking order. A loan should happen.

Doak’s probably a better candidate for a loan - he’s not going to be playing much at RW.

You left Jones out, by the way, he’ll be vying for LM with Mac Allister.

I really do see Hendo & Thiago, not necessarily going, but being slowly phased out - I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see Mac Allister as the only new starter with 2 other midfielders given time to integrate - I’m not sure Klopp will go for 3 entirely new midfielders from the start.

We’ll get more of an idea during preseason - I actually think next year might be the one Harvey kicks on - I think the new pattern of play with Trent floating in to midfield as a deep playmaker and Harvey providing the link & overlap for Salah might work really well with Harvey.

If we’d signed Suarez or Torres at 20 they’d likely have not been regular starters for us either.

At 20, Torres was in his second season playing in La Liga with Atletico and Suarez was leaving Groningen for Ajax.

I don’t think the comparisons are either fair or valid.

At 20, Elliot has played more games for Liverpool than Trent, Henderson was still at Sunderland at 20, having played less Premier League games than Elliot.

At 20, Elliot has played only a few less premier league games and scored the same amount of premier league goals (1) as Steven Gerrard.

At 20, Elliot has a record similar to James Milner - Milner has played more and scored 1 more goal.

None of this means Harvey is as good as any of them - though it also doesn’t mean he can’t achieve a significant amount in the game.

I think people are writing him off way to early - he only turned 20 in April.

I’m all for bringing in another midfielder to play on the right - with whoever that is and Harvey competing for that spot with Hendo being phased out.
You're missing the point. Freshred said he'd start Elliott over our new midfielders and bed them in slowly, which he said is the Klopp way. I totally disagreed and gave examples of Klopp playing new signings from the off and them not needing to bed in.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Elliott being 20 yrs old ... other than he's clearly not at their level and I don't believe he'll get many starts, and nor should he because he's nowhere near their (AliMac & Thuram's) standard.

Let's get in the 3 MFs and then worry about where Elliott plays...I don't want to go into next season with Elliott in our starting 11 not until he shows he is upto standard. It lookslike the Sheikh's Jassim will take over United - so now 3 clubs owned by State enterprises. The Dubai Royal family are relative paupers compared to the Al-Thanis, Al Nahyans and Al Sauds.
I am expecting Man U will hoover up some of the best talents that will become available

You're missing the point. Freshred said he'd start Elliott over our new midfielders and bed them in slowly, which he said is the Klopp way. I totally disagreed and gave examples of Klopp playing new signings from the off and them not needing to bed in.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Elliott being 20 yrs old ... other than he's clearly not at their level and I don't believe he'll get many starts, and nor should he because he's nowhere near their (AliMac & Thuram's) standard.

Is he really that far off Thuram?

I honestly wouldn’t know because I don’t watch the French league.

I’m sure he looks good beside Ross Barkley & Aaron Ramsey?

From what I’ve read, he’s not the finished article either - so I would question whether he’d slot right in.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t - took Fabinho a bit of time to settle.

Is he really that far off Thuram?

I honestly wouldn’t know because I don’t watch the French league.

I’m sure he looks good beside Ross Barkley & Aaron Ramsey?

From what I’ve read, he’s not the finished article either - so I would question whether he’d slot right in.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t - took Fabinho a bit of time to settle.
Yes he's is. Look at the stats and the experience and, as you mentioned, his age!

One is a highly desirable and admired (around Europe) midfielder whilst one is still learning the ropes. Can't have it both ways.

Either he is better (in which case we'd have no interest in other mfs and certainly not be paying out £35 - £50m on them, or he's not.

I've always maintained that RCM doesn't do Elliott any favours. RW might be slightly better, but not much. He would thrive as a 10; arguably he could have done more than jones in the more advanced LCM spot when trent has possession.

Elliott has such a high ceiling, and the one extra thing he has for him is his application is second to none. He loves playing for us, and he tries without fail every game. If he could improve stamina, or improve strength he could be great. I don't see an immediate rush to loan him out, when he will get games this year, as our midfield playstyle is very harsh on the muscles. I do think he'll start a lot in the first few months of the season, as the new signings get up to speed with conditioning

Let's get in the 3 MFs and then worry about where Elliott plays...I don't want to go into next season with Elliott in our starting 11 not until he shows he is upto standard. It lookslike the Sheikh's Jassim will take over United - so now 3 clubs owned by State enterprises. The Dubai Royal family are relative paupers compared to the Al-Thanis, Al Nahyans and Al Sauds.
I am expecting Man U will hoover up some of the best talents that will become available
Yep, we are fucked, do ypu think the Kuwaitis or that quiet place Oman would be interested in us ?

I’ve said it a million times, but Harvey is the closest thing I’ve seen to a young Shaqiri that’s out there.

He’s a lovely player, but will likely never be first choice in a title challenging side.

Shaqiri was potentially good enough to start for a title-winning side, but he just had too many injuries. Let’s hope Elliott proves more durable. Need to go easy on the gym.

Shaqiri was potentially good enough to start for a title-winning side, but he just had too many injuries. Let’s hope Elliott proves more durable. Need to go easy on the gym.
Not in a Klopp side he wouldn’t have, he didn’t have the defensive qualities (no saying Mo always do either but then again no one can do what Mo does offensively)

Liverpool target Gabri Veiga speaks out as Jurgen Klopp transfer rebuild takes shape
Celta Vigo midfielder Gabri Veiga has insisted he is focused on playing for Spain at the Under-21 European Championship as speculation swirls over his €40million (£34.4m) buyout clause

Celta Vigo midfielder Gabri Veiga has spoken about the ‘messy’ speculation surrounding his future in the summer transfer window.

Veiga has attracted attention by scoring 11 goals and registering four assists in 36 matches during the 2022/23 campaign for Celta. He has clubs circling due to the fact his contract contains a €40million (£34.4m) buyout clause.

According to Sport, Liverpool are ready to meet that buyout clause and provide Veiga with a bumper contract in order to beat off competition from Newcastle and Real Madrid. The 21-year-old is preparing to compete for Spain at the Under-21 European Championship in Romania and Georgia this summer and is trying to block out the rumours.

“I’m not here to talk about my future, only my present. I want to be in the final [squad] of the Europeans,” he said at a press conference. “It’s been a bit of a mess. I left my [agent] and then I took some time off. I went with the one that I think is the best and I think I’ve matured a lot.

“I don’t think about my future, I want to live in the present and the national team. What I want for my future is to be in the European Championship, because there is still the final list, and then to win it. I am here in the national team, in a very nice challenge.”

Back in April, ahead of Celta playing Real Madrid in LaLiga, Carlo Ancelotti showered praise on Veiga. "I like him, he is an excellent player who has something special," the Real boss said.

Asked about hearing that sort of praise, Veiga responded: “If you know how to manage them in a mature way, all praise is well received, but you have to know how to manage it,” he said.

He then joked: “I have spent little time preparing these questions, I am mature in that sense. I am not used to speaking in public but I think I am doing quite well. I want to mature day by day. I don't think about the future, what better than with this group of players that we have in the under-21s.”

Speaking earlier in the year, Vigo president Carlos Mourino insisted that the club would not sell Veiga for anything less than his full release clause. "The clauses are in place and it is one of the requirements of La Liga. We are not going to sell Gabri Veiga, but they are going to buy him from us," Mourino told Cadena SER.

"Nobody has to negotiate with us. We know that there are clubs that have called, but we don't know who has spoken with Gabri Veiga. There were other teams that called us asking if we would give them a hand."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/foot...ZjWM_DG80chwrQxsYZ4EThtZoxTRsKGNS3n-8vHioXGMs

Last edited:

What midfielder has Klopp played straight away other than Thiago, who then broke?

I am not saying Elliott is amazing or that he starts every game, but he is going stay and will get plenty of game time. That is all.

Klopp will not sell him.

I've always maintained that RCM doesn't do Elliott any favours. RW might be slightly better, but not much. He would thrive as a 10; arguably he could have done more than jones in the more advanced LCM spot when trent has possession.

Elliott has such a high ceiling, and the one extra thing he has for him is his application is second to none. He loves playing for us, and he tries without fail every game. If he could improve stamina, or improve strength he could be great. I don't see an immediate rush to loan him out, when he will get games this year, as our midfield playstyle is very harsh on the muscles. I do think he'll start a lot in the first few months of the season, as the new signings get up to speed with conditioning
We have this general penchant of writing off our young players while at the same time looking longingly at other teams’ young but not more “skilled” players.

Last edited:
What midfielder has Klopp played straight away other than Thiago, who then broke?

I am not saying Elliott is amazing or that he starts every game, but he is going stay and will get plenty of game time. That is all.

Klopp will not sell him.
Why restrict yourself to midfielders? That's being very selective especially when bar Thiago we haven't bought any recently!

I don't care if he stays or if he goes. He's a good lad but I think he should go on loan because if we get 3 midfielders then he's way down the list. That is all.

We have this general penchant of writing off our young players while at the same time looking longingly at other teams’ young but not more “skilled” players.
Not surprising. In the past decade or more we have only brought through one regular 1st team starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom