• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

This is the Veiga

Status
Not open for further replies.
So he has a £34m release clause, and Chelsea are pushing hard to get a deal done. Makes zero sense, how difficult are the negotiations for a player with a known low buy out clause.
Chelsea don't offer any European football next season.. and have a gallizion players they can't register.

That's how hard.

I'm guessing Todd and Chelsea have been clever and bid 68 mill to avoid the release clause.

Last edited:
Similar to that and the A-League or even the AFL (Aussie Rules League), but at a European level and higher standard.

Probably not unlike Henry’s ideas for a European Super League, where you close the competition to a select number of teams but make it so that each team has the same resources available to them - so that competition is based on player skill, recruitment, balancing resources and manager ability rather than who can spend the most.

Have a league of Liverpool, Utd, City, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, PSG, Bayern, Dortmund, RB Leipzeig, Inter, AC Milan, Juventus, Napoli, Porto, Sporting & Benfica.

It’s not without issues - could split it to 2 leagues of 16 with the top 8 in each progressing to a playoff, which would allow more teams and lessen the amount of dead rubber games.

The key is no-one can spend more in transfer fees or wages.

It’d likely fuck football - but footballs already being fucked.

I'm not in favour of getting rid of relegation and promotion but I'd be in favour of wage controls. I think a luxury tax model is the best fit, where it allows rich clubs to spend more, if they're willing to pay a "tax" distributed among poorer clubs (or further down the pyramid).

Let City or Madrid spend. But they can fill the pockets of the Brighton's, from whom we'll buy.

Hopefully, I get my wish fulfilled and we get 4 MFs in Viega who plays like Mount, Mac 10 we have already, Thuram and Kone. We then finally have depth. This season we have lost 4 MFs and 2 attackers in (Bobby and Fabs), so 6 out and 4 in
[article]
Liverpool blow Real Madrid away to bring stunning LaLiga coup within reach after ‘significantly raising’ their offer
Story by Steve Pearson • Yesterday 15:19

Teamtalk
Liverpool blow Real Madrid away to bring stunning LaLiga coup within reach after ‘significantly raising’ their offer
Was this content a good use of your time?

Liverpool have gone above and beyond on the contract offer to help secure a superb LaLiga coup, though the Reds must fend off Newcastle before landing a confirmed midfield target.
Liverpool confirmed the arrival of Alexis Mac Allister on Thursday morning. Why the Argentine World Cup winner, 24, chose the Reds and snubbed a late hijack attempt by Man Utd has since come to light.
Mac Allister’s £35m addition has got the ball on Liverpool’s midfield revamp rolling, and further additions are fully expected.
Indeed, the Athletic’s James Pearce recently listed five midfielders Liverpool are now targeting. Among those listed were Manu Kone (Borussia Monchengladbach) and Khephren Thuram (Nice). Fabrizio Romano subsequently reported Liverpool have scheduled fresh rounds of talks with the two players’ agents.

• Another on the five-man wishlist is Gabri Veiga of Celta Vigo. Veiga, 21, was confirmed to be in Liverpool’s sights by Romano last week.
The attacking midfielder has just presided over a breakthrough season in which he scored 11 and assisted four in LaLiga. Among those he scored against included Atletico Madrid, Sevilla and Barcelona (twice).
Links between Veiga and virtually every top English side have done the rounds since the turn of the year. However, a fresh update from Spanish outlet Sport has narrowed down the field.

Liverpool v Newcastle for Gabri Veiga

The publication state Chelsea may met make a late move, though the race is expected to come down to Liverpool and Newcastle.
Real Madrid have shown interest, though Los Blancos are thus far unwilling to meet Veiga’s €40m (approx. £34.4m) release clause.
Real hope to serve up an academy prospect or two to bring Celta’s price demands down. However, Sport state Celta have made their stance crystal clear – pay the release clause or don’t bother asking.
To that end, it’s claimed both Liverpool and Newcastle are fully prepared to activate the release clause. Of the two, Liverpool are the ones on pole position thanks to their willingness to spend big on personal terms.
GABRI VEIGA: Why Liverpool want the next Spanish superstar – and everything you need to know about him
Indeed, the report adds Liverpool have ‘insisted from day one’ on signing Veiga and have ‘significantly raised the contractual conditions offered to the footballer’.
Newcastle too will go big on the contract front, though it’s suggested Liverpool are the frontrunners and will pay more.
An agreement over personal terms has not been secured, though the signs are pointing towards Veiga being bound for Anfield if he does leave Celta this summer
[/article]

Hopefully, I get my wish fulfilled and we get 4 MFs in Viega who plays like Mount, Mac 10 we have already, Thuram and Kone. We then finally have depth. This season we have lost 4 MFs and 2 attackers in (Bobby and Fabs), so 6 out and 4 in
[article]
Story by Steve Pearson • Yesterday 15:19

Teamtalk
Was this content a good use of your time?

Liverpool have gone above and beyond on the contract offer to help secure a superb LaLiga coup, though the Reds must fend off Newcastle before landing a confirmed midfield target.
Liverpool confirmed the arrival of Alexis Mac Allister on Thursday morning. Why the Argentine World Cup winner, 24, chose the Reds and snubbed a late hijack attempt by Man Utd has since come to light.
Mac Allister’s £35m addition has got the ball on Liverpool’s midfield revamp rolling, and further additions are fully expected.
Indeed, the Athletic’s James Pearce recently listed five midfielders Liverpool are now targeting. Among those listed were Manu Kone (Borussia Monchengladbach) and Khephren Thuram (Nice). Fabrizio Romano subsequently reported Liverpool have scheduled fresh rounds of talks with the two players’ agents.

• Another on the five-man wishlist is Gabri Veiga of Celta Vigo. Veiga, 21, was confirmed to be in Liverpool’s sights by Romano last week.
The attacking midfielder has just presided over a breakthrough season in which he scored 11 and assisted four in LaLiga. Among those he scored against included Atletico Madrid, Sevilla and Barcelona (twice).
Links between Veiga and virtually every top English side have done the rounds since the turn of the year. However, a fresh update from Spanish outlet Sport has narrowed down the field.

Liverpool v Newcastle for Gabri Veiga

The publication state Chelsea may met make a late move, though the race is expected to come down to Liverpool and Newcastle.
Real Madrid have shown interest, though Los Blancos are thus far unwilling to meet Veiga’s €40m (approx. £34.4m) release clause.
Real hope to serve up an academy prospect or two to bring Celta’s price demands down. However, Sport state Celta have made their stance crystal clear – pay the release clause or don’t bother asking.
To that end, it’s claimed both Liverpool and Newcastle are fully prepared to activate the release clause. Of the two, Liverpool are the ones on pole position thanks to their willingness to spend big on personal terms.
GABRI VEIGA: Why Liverpool want the next Spanish superstar – and everything you need to know about him
Indeed, the report adds Liverpool have ‘insisted from day one’ on signing Veiga and have ‘significantly raised the contractual conditions offered to the footballer’.
Newcastle too will go big on the contract front, though it’s suggested Liverpool are the frontrunners and will pay more.
An agreement over personal terms has not been secured, though the signs are pointing towards Veiga being bound for Anfield if he does leave Celta this summer
[/article]
If you get your wish of four new midfielders, what do we do with the other seven who played there last season?

If you get your wish of four new midfielders, what do we do with the other seven who played there last season?

Thiago- too injury prone, i'd sell
Jones - Squaddie
Elliott- Squaddie
Hend- Bench/ rotation player. Can't play 3 times a week anymore
Fab - See hendo
Stefan - long term project, but 100% 1st or 2nd sub we bring on

All of the above either are past it, or too inexperienced to be relied upon consistently. That doesn't mean they can't play their way in to being a more crucial member of the squad.

Who am i missing?

Thiago- too injury prone, i'd sell
Jones - Squaddie
Elliott- Squaddie
Hend- Bench/ rotation player. Can't play 3 times a week anymore
Fab - See hendo
Stefan - long term project, but 100% 1st or 2nd sub we bring on

All of the above either are past it, or too inexperienced to be relied upon consistently. That doesn't mean they can't play their way in to being a more crucial member of the squad.

Who am i missing?
Carvalho. Possibly only one, maybe two of those will be sold, with four new that makes at the least nine. This is a club without Champions League and Klopp tends not to take the domestic cups seriously at the start. Oh, and add in Trent. Those numbers are unsustainable for any team.
It'll also hamper any from the youth system coming through.
I'm just saying that four is too many.

Mac 10,
Kone
Thuram
Gabi Viega
Fabs
Spanish Steve
Thiago
CJ
Hendo
Elliott

In my world, Thiago is sold. Spanish Steve would play CB/RB and DM Fabs the same.. Elliott, Hendo and CJ bench and cup games. Players will pick up injuries, so most of them will get games. I wouldn't be against selling Elliott if an offer came in for £30m ish

Fab C will be loaned out, so not worth considering him. The kid needs to bulk-up

Carvalho. Possibly only one, maybe two of those will be sold, with four new that makes at the least nine. This is a club without Champions League and Klopp tends not to take the domestic cups seriously at the start. Oh, and add in Trent. Those numbers are unsustainable for any team.

Carvalho has alreadby been told he's not part of the plans for next season. Whether thats a sale or a loan I don't know.
We play a high pressing midfield where mobility is key. I have no qualms about bringing in 3 midfielders who can actually run at pace (as opposed to what we have now). I think if we get Veiga (as this is his thread); he's more likely to be a Gakpo backup, and play as a false 9.

Looking at our youth setup...other than Stefan who's already in the first team, there doesn't seem to be much talent. All our talent is either up front (cannonier), wide (Doak, gordon, clark), or at the full backs (chambers, bradley, ramsay). The cream rises to the top, and if people take their chance i'm sure they'll be rewarded.

We've just lost 4 midfielders, so bringing in 3, or 4 (although i don't believe we will get veiga), makes sense to me. Its the most demanding part of our play and sets the team out appropriately

Why add in trent? He's the right back who drifts to midfield. May as well add in Matip for his runs forward.

I'm not in favour of getting rid of relegation and promotion but I'd be in favour of wage controls. I think a luxury tax model is the best fit, where it allows rich clubs to spend more, if they're willing to pay a "tax" distributed among poorer clubs (or further down the pyramid).

Let City or Madrid spend. But they can fill the pockets of the Brighton's, from whom we'll buy.

The only problem is, City, Newcastle, etc won’t care about the tax, so it allows them to horde all the best players on stupid wages. My and defeats the purpose of having controls in the first place.

I like promotion & relegation but it also creates a problem for teams dropping down / coming up because the funding would be different.

I don’t think there is a perfect solution

The only problem is, City, Newcastle, etc won’t care about the tax, so it allows them to horde all the best players on stupid wages. My and defeats the purpose of having controls in the first place.

I like promotion & relegation but it also creates a problem for teams dropping down / coming up because the funding would be different.

I don’t think there is a perfect solution

Under the current system they'll spend anyway. At least this gives a benefit to other clubs.

Removing promotion and relegation would be a mistake. It's part of what makes football special.

Under the current system they'll spend anyway. At least this gives a benefit to other clubs.

Removing promotion and relegation would be a mistake. It's part of what makes football special.

I agree.

That’s the problem though, it’s too late to stop the influence of state backed teams - it’s why City will not face any significant punishment for financial breaches - is more likely that the FA will be pulled up for introducing the rules in the first place.

I think we'll get three and Elliott leave on loan from those listed above. He'll hardly get a game otherwise.

Hurry up and release that clause baby.

He looks sexy on the ball.....Klopp will coach him to pass a bit more & then he'll be unstoppable.

Another signing we can add to the 35m collection.

Hurry up and release that clause baby.

He looks sexy on the ball.....Klopp will coach him to pass a bit more & then he'll be unstoppable.

Another signing we can add to the 35m collection.

Is that in addition to Kone and Thuram, or in place of one of them ?

Is that in addition to Kone and Thuram, or in place of one of them ?
In place of Kone.

-----------------Thuram------------------

-------Veiga-------------AlexiMac-----

We're cooking.

Actually maybe a bit too inexperienced for Klopp's liking. I'd expect Fab to still be in the first XI.

In place of Kone.

-----------------Thuram------------------

-------Veiga-------------AlexiMac-----

We're cooking.

Actually maybe a bit too inexperienced for Klopp's liking. I'd expect Fab to still be in the first XI.

Does Veiga have pace ?, can he run ? - what's his injury record like ? - why can't we get all 3 of them ?

Does Veiga have pace ?, can he run ? - what's his injury record like ? - why can't we get all 3 of them ?
Yes he has good pace for a CM/AM and very athletic.
Running with the ball is sensational, running as in workhouse running/able to cover large distance/headless chicken type running (Hendo) not so sure.
He only missed 2 games last season in the league, both to suspension so I'd say pretty good.
Because it's not quite Christmas yet and we have FSG as owners.

If I had to choose between Kone and Viega, I'd choose Viega just because he has more products. Kone is brilliant and eye-pleasing but often runs him into a corner. In an ideal world I'd take all 3 of Viega, Kone and Thuram.

Tell me you have no idea what's going on without telling me you have no idea what going on

Well we'll see who's right in time won't we?

What really is a "concrete move", surely that should just be releasing the clause and welcome to Liverpool?

Everything about this guy screams attacking midfielder/forward to me. He is closer to Torres than Thiago. We could well be interested because his release clause seems rather low for his level of talent, but signing an attacker this summer is not a priority.

Last edited:
Everything about this guy screams attacking midfielder/forward to me. He is more David Villa than Thiago. We could well be interested because his release clause seems low for his level of talent, but signing an attacker this summer is not a priority.
He is the guy who is supposed to get you goals from MF.
He will most likely play on the right.

Everything about this guy screams attacking midfielder/forward to me. He is closer to Torres than Thiago. We could well be interested because his release clause seems rather low for his level of talent, but signing an attacker this summer is not a priority.

I will keep banging the Kudus drum in that case.

I think we'll get three and Elliott leave on loan from those listed above. He'll hardly get a game otherwise.

Since when does 1 midfielder, let alone 3, walk into a Klopp side with immediate significant playing time. Elliott will get plenty of game time. He knows the system.

Fab, Hendo, Thiago can be injured any time or all at once. I think Alexis will slot in quite easily, because of his brain and Prem experience. It will take a lot longer for Thuram (who I really like) and/or Kone to be trusted by Klopp, in case we get desperate, which worked for Bajcetic, but exactly what we are trying to avoid.

Elliott stays and Elliott plays.

Since when does 1 midfielder, let alone 3, walk into a Klopp side with immediate significant playing time. Elliott will get plenty of game time. He knows the system.

Fab, Hendo, Thiago can be injured any time or all at once. I think Alexis will slot in quite easily, because of his brain and Prem experience. It will take a lot longer for Thuram (who I really like) and/or Kone to be trusted by Klopp, in case we get desperate, which worked for Bajcetic, but exactly what we are trying to avoid.

Elliott stays and Elliott plays.
I disagree - with pretty much everything ! Opinions eh.

Elliott has a long way to go to reach the standard of a Thuram or Ali Mac or to proving he is capable of starting in a PL challenging side, so no I don't see him starting ever unless we have 3 midfielders down, and no I don't believe Klopp would leave better players on the bench unless forced into it, Thiago, Fabs, Gini and more recently Gakpo, Diaz and even Nunez were all in from the start or very shortly thereafter, with a full pre-season there would be zero reason not to start them from the off.

If we buy 3 midfielders it would be far better for Elliott to go out on loan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom