• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Thiago.... Ja ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seemingly Thiago was all set to join Man U in 2013 but Giggs and Scholes persuaded Moyes not to go ahead with the deal as they felt he wasn't Man U standard.
It was very generous of them but in hindsight, they have been proved absolutely right.
I read it was Moyes himself who pulled out of the deal, as he hadn't seen enough of him to form an opinion.

He signed Fellani instead.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

He clearly thinks like a coach; he thinks of himself as a player within the context of a larger structure and trying to analyze the whole picture and how he can be the most useful. I don't think we had this type of a football brain since Alonso.
No coincidence that these Architect style players have advanced their coaching careers at an impressive rate. Pirlo, Zidane, Xabi, Arteta, etc.

Like you say their playing role gives them a much great understanding of the overall dynamics of a football match. They are frequently the players who assist the player making the assist. Always thinking 2 or 3 moves ahead.

Despite being different types of players you can even argue the likes of Simeone, Pep, and Gattuso also could study the game and their influence on it from their DM position.

No coincidence that these Architect style players have advanced their coaching careers at an impressive rate. Pirlo, Zidane, Xabi, Arteta, etc.

Like you say their playing role gives them a much great understanding of the overall dynamics of a football match. They are frequently the players who assist the player making the assist. Always thinking 2 or 3 moves ahead.

Despite being different types of players you can even argue the likes of Simeone, Pep, and Gattuso also could study the game and their influence on it from their DM position.

I've thought for a while that this is part of the reason black ex-players are under-represented in management. Because the reason black people are over-represented in football is that they're more athletic, whereas the sorts of players who tend to become managers play in the sort of positions where athleticism isn't very important.

I've thought for a while that this is part of the reason black ex-players are under-represented in management. Because the reason black people are over-represented in football is that they're more athletic, whereas the sorts of players who tend to become managers play in the sort of positions where athleticism isn't very important.
With the other part being the fact that most clubs are owned by older white men, & the media is still inherently racist to boot.

Heh... hmmm!

With the other part being the fact that most clubs are owned by older white men, & the media is still inherently racist to boot.

I can hardly think of a single football journalist who isn't a massive lefty tbh.

But I'm willing to consider just about any explanation for interesting phenomena. Always try to keep an open mind!

How many Manc and City fans are going to be emphasizing our "best midfielder in the world" giving up a penalty in his 1st half of Premier League football?

I expect quite a lot.

Could be my imagination, but after the goals, it almost seemed that all the players were really trying to find him whenever possible.

I wonder if this was on Klopp's instructions as a really good way to accelerate his acclimatization?

I think it happens naturally. Everyone just trusts him with the ball, because he clearly knows what to do with it. He also takes up perfect positions to receive it every time, he's like a magnet.

Look at how quickly he moves the ball in midfield compared to our other midfielders.

Last edited:
Look at how quickly he moves the ball in midfield compared to our other midfielder.

I think he started a bit conservatively with safe passes, but then tried a few more ambitious ones as he settled. Gave the ball away a couple of times and obviously gave away the penalty – clearly needs a bit of fine-tuning and adjusting to the system, but yeah, he's boss.

I also have to say, I screamed at Keita and Gini a couple of times in frustration in the 2nd half. Keita when he glided past his man, but didn't lay the ball off – he needs to be smarter in situations like this, not coasting on his natural talent, but actually producing something positive in every game, that's what you have to do at this level. And Gini for being played in the box with a very cute ball (I think by Thiago) and just automatically diverting it away from danger with his first touch – why? Let's hope the added competition from Thiago (and Jones) will make other midfielders more ruthless and efficient with their opportunities.

Last edited:
Look at how quickly he moves the ball in midfield compared to our other midfielder.

Our other midfielder who played the pass that sent Mane through for the sending off. Stop fishing for a bite Modo.

Are you going to predict for the millionth time that Hendo wont get back in the side now?

Takes 3-4 players out the game with those forward passes - he's going to be a massive massive part of taking us up to the next level.

Our other midfielder who played the pass that sent Mane through for the sending off. Stop fishing for a bite Modo.

Are you going to predict for the millionth time that Hendo wont get back in the side now?
I edited my post.
My point is still valid. He moves the ball quicker than him too.

He moves it quicker than all our midfielders, whats your point? You creamed about having a proper DM ever since we signed Fabs, even though our goals against with him in the side is no different to without him. Hes a great player too, but I'm not creating a face off with another Liverpool player everytime we sign someone great.

We've got a great squad, be thankful for it instead of labouring stupid fucking points.

How many Manc and City fans are going to be emphasizing our "best midfielder in the world" giving up a penalty in his 1st half of Premier League football?

I expect quite a lot.
Who cares. Just point out that regardless he's still one of the best midfielders in the world. And set a new record in the 2nd for completed passes.

Let's not turn in into another useless argument, lads. I think everyone is on the same page about being excited about Thiago without thinking it somehow denigrates any of our current midfielders. Klopp said it perfectly in the interview – there is no "red carpet" for Thiago, he has felt the power of our midfield when we eliminated Bayern and now he wants to be a part of the machine.

I think it happens naturally. Everyone just trusts him with the ball, because he clearly knows what to do with it. He also takes up perfect positions to receive it every time, he's like a magnet.
That was definitely how I saw it too. I think when really really good football players actively look to give a teammate the ball (particularly when ordinarily they’re a bit greedy) you know he’s absolutely the nuts

He moves it quicker than all our midfielders, whats your point? You creamed about having a proper DM ever since we signed Fabs, even though our goals against with him in the side is no different to without him. Hes a great player too, but I'm not creating a face off with another Liverpool player everytime we sign someone great.

We've got a great squad, be thankful for it instead of labouring stupid fucking points.
My point is exactly that, he moves it quicker.
Makes it harder for opponents to re-align. Gives the likes of Mane and Salah more space and opportunities to make runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom