• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Thiago Alcantara

Prefix for Poll Threads

Thiago, How do you view his signing?

• Disaster

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Success

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 16 48.5%

• Total voters

bluebell

Well-Known
Its his last season, the rare instances where he has been available, more often than not he was good to very good? You could say the year we nearly did the quad, he was very much at the heart of our play.
He wasn't an expensive signing but was taking £10-12m in wages a year. With hindsight, how do you view his signing?

Last edited:
There were surely positives to his time at the club. It definitely felt nice to have a big name choose Liverpool and he seems like the model pro type who would’ve been a good influence around the place, especially to those youngsters breaking through right now. Unfortunately he was signed to play football and didn’t do much of that.

I’d file him under indifferent but i quite like the guy and really enjoyed his time on the pitch when he hit form.

Ultimately he's been a failure I'm afraid. Obviously a very good player, and one that could have been great for us, but he hasn't even made 100 appearances over 4 seasons. That's less than half of our games and really not good enough for a senior player.

Exceptional player that unfortunately was made of glass. Can’t call him a disaster but unfortunately didn’t work out.
A true disaster would be someone like Aquilani. Now he was made of glass AND shit.

Even within the players he wasn't spoken about with much affection. He is one of those signings you hope will succeed based on his reputation but as time goes by, start to realise he is not all that.

A fancy pass or turn now and again doesn't make a difference. I would argue that even Keita has done more for us.

Poor signing.

I think the problem is not Thiago, the problem is that we replaced Wijnaldum - one of the most dependable players of the Klopp era - with him. Had we added Thiago to a team with Wijnaldum or a like-for-like Wijnaldum replacement, he would have been judged a success, injuries nonwithstanding - he would have added a new dimension when available and we would still have a functional midfield without him.

So from squad building perspective - a self-inflicted disaster, a failure of our transfer policy at a time of growing disconnect between Klopp and Edwards. Purely as a player - boss, one of the classiest midfielders I’ve ever seen play for Liverpool. I think if there is a “streets won’t forget” kind of player, the unique artefact like a rare vintage Japanese vinyl album that sends audiophiles into a frenzy, that’s Thiago. He didn’t play nearly enough, but he wasn’t boring and players and fans will remember him.

Last edited:
Indifferent. Fee alone, the decision to sign Thiago was a relatively cheap punt that did not work out. There will be times in rhe future where we'll be reminiscing about the time established top class players wanted to come and play for Liverpool, and there was some logic in adding some flair and technical excellence to the midfield when teams were sitting back more. We ensured we were never reliant on him, which was sensible. Overall it's been a frustrating experience but the decision to sign Thiago is not one I'm hyper critical of IMO. I also think he was key in getting us into the CL during our defensive injury crisis.

Overall the Keita transfer was far worse. He was bang average even when he felt like playing.

Last edited:
Disaster feels extreme but definitely a gamble that didn’t work out. He was a fabulous player but said at the time he’s a perma injured crock.

The main thing here is the opportunity cost rather than the financial outlay. Who did we not sign because we signed Thiago?

We will never know but would it have been enough to clinch that quad? Another trophy or two? Possibly.

Exceptional player that unfortunately was made of glass. Can’t call him a disaster but unfortunately didn’t work out.
A true disaster would be someone like Aquilani. Now he was made of glass AND shit.
Fun fact

Total games / goals / assists: 28 / 2 / 6

Total games / goals / assists: 98 / 3 / 6

Let's revisit who the true disaster was after working out which is which

Disaster feels extreme but definitely a gamble that didn’t work out. He was a fabulous player but said at the time he’s a perma injured crock.

The main thing here is the opportunity cost rather than the financial outlay. Who did we not sign because we signed Thiago?

We will never know but would it have been enough to clinch that quad? Another trophy or two? Possibly.
This for me is the monumental point of it all, and for me the same reason I have such disdain for keita. Wasted money that could have gone elsewhere.

Fun fact

Total games / goals / assists: 28 / 2 / 6

Total games / goals / assists: 98 / 3 / 6

Let's revisit who the true disaster was after working out which is which
Give me a hint. Is one of them Thiago, a deep lying playmaker not expected to get a load of goals and assists, making such stats irrelevant?
It’s nearly as bad as saying Diaz and Klopp’s respective contributions to LFC is comparable.

Italian Aquaman who was afraid of water well in our case the football, will be remembered through the passage of time where as Thiago will be forgotten about as his time here has drawn no emotions. He will be like the many scandos that played for the club that no one cares to remember

Give me a hint. Is one of them Thiago, a deep lying playmaker not expected to get a load of goals and assists, making such stats irrelevant?
It’s nearly as bad as saying Diaz and Klopp’s respective contributions to LFC is comparable.
One is thiago, who played LCM in place of wijnaldum in a formerly title winning side with one of the best attacks we've ever had. The other is aqualiani, who played in a rapidly declining benitez side. One also made a third less appearances with as much contribution.

We're not comparing a CB to a striker here ffs

"deep lying playmaker not expected to get assists"

Sure

One is thiago, who played LCM in place of wijnaldum in a formerly title winning side with one of the best attacks we've ever had. The other is aqualiani, who played in a rapidly declining benitez side. One also made a third less appearances with as much contribution.

We're not comparing a CB to a striker here ffs

"deep lying playmaker not expected to get assists"

Sure
Your problem is your incredibly narrow field of vision for ‘contribution’. As evidenced in your Klopp ‘argument’.
Alonso had less than 20 assists in 200+ games for us. I guess you think he was just okay.

Your problem is your incredibly narrow field of vision for ‘contribution’. As evidenced in your Klopp ‘argument’.
Alonso had less than 20 assists in 200+ games for us. I guess you think he was just okay.
One of his contributions was a champions league final goal

Yes. He had a lot more value than "less than 100 appearances in 4 fucking years" thiago alcantara

The problem here, is that you think you know what you're talking about and provide fucking nothing to back it up with

I provide at least some form of evidence and stick to my point. If people disagree, I say that's ok. You just say I'm wrong and offer fucking nothing to counter it other than bring up other things you disagree with me over.

Just put me on ignore, you clearly have zero intention of changing your mind or (dare I say) thinking

I wish thiago was on course for 20+ assists

I wish thiago was on course for 20 more fucking appearances

This is what happens when you do not try to buy players at the top of there game, like Bellingham, Davis and Mbappe you end up with once great players like Thiago who are constantly plagued by injury that result in them being a former shell of themselves spending more time on the injury table than on the pitch...
Absolutely a great player that we should have bought 9/10 seasons ago

I
This is what happens when you do not try to buy players at the top of there game, like Bellingham, Davis and Mbappe you end up with once great players like Thiago who are constantly plagued by injury that result in them being a former shell of themselves spending more time on the injury table than on the pitch...
Absolutely a great player that we should have bought 9/10 seasons ago

TBF, ten years ago Thiago was leaving Barca to join Pep Guardiola at a Bayern side that was shitting silverware. Coming to Liverpool to see Rodgers handing out envelopes and listen to Joe Allen bang on about his chicken farm was not at the top of Thiagos bucket list.

Last edited:
The problem here, is that you think you know what you're talking about and provide fucking nothing to back it up with

I provide at least some form of evidence and stick to my point. If people disagree, I say that's ok. You just say I'm wrong and offer fucking nothing to counter it other than bring up other things you disagree with me over.

Just put me on ignore, you clearly have zero intention of changing your mind or (dare I say) thinking
Whoops, touched a nerve I see. You’re free to ignore my posts, of course.

I

TBF, ten years ago Thiago was leaving Barca to join Pep Guardiola at a Bayern side that was shitting silverware. Coming to Liverpool to see Rodgers handing out envelopes and listen to Joe Allen bang on about his chicken farm was not at the top of Thiagos bucket list.
Agree... But the point I was trying to make was that we should at least try to sign some of the rated young players instead of watch City, Utd, and Chelsea gobble them up...
Splash the cash on one top quality signing a season and not wait until they are on the decline before we put in a serious bid for them...

What a load of bollocks. You are talking as if buying aging stars is our norm. You do realise Thiago was an exception to how we normally do business, don't you? Another exception was Endo ... but you're right we should have fought harder for the established Caicedo rather than settle for Endo

Back
Top Bottom