• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The secret behind Sevilla’s success? Meet Monchi, the transfer wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Binny

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/17/sevilla-monchi-liverpool-europa-league-final?
4641.jpg

[article]When Sevilla take on Liverpool in Wednesday’s Europa League final, they will be aiming to win the tournament for the third year running. The architect of their unprecedented era of glory is their sporting director

Ramón Rodríguez Verdejo is running through the team written on the paper in front of him, smoke rising slowly from the cigarette in his right hand, a Coke bottle on the table. Andrés Palop in goal; a back four of Dani Alves, Federico Fazio, Martin Cáceres and Adriano; Ivan Rakitic, Júlio Baptista, Seydou Keita and Christian Poulsen in midfield; Luís Fabiano and Carlos Bacca up front. All men he signed, for little over €25m (£23.5m). All men he sold too, for around €170m. Then there’s Sergio Ramos, Jesús Navas, Alberto Moreno, Luis Alberto and José Antonio Reyes: players he didn’t need to buy but did need to sell, youth products who raised almost €100m.

In his office is a photograph in which he stands alongside Diego Maradona with whom he became close even though he says he was pretty much the least important person at Sevilla in 1992, “the last monkey: a 23-year-old sub goalkeeper”. These days he’s pretty much the most important person at Sevilla. This morning he has mundane tasks to attend to – the logistics of players’ luggage for Basel – but the man they call Monchi is the sporting director and the architect who transformed the club.

When Monchi took over in 2000, Sevilla faced a financial crisis and had just been relegated. Sixteen years on, they play Liverpool in the Europa League final seeking their third title in a row, their fifth in a decade. Four days later they play Barcelona in the Copa del Rey final. Fourteen finals in 10 years while making the profit their model demands, selling players such as Baptista for a €24m profit or making €17.5m on Rakitic. Until Monchi arrived they had won four trophies ever, none in 52 years and success is what most satisfies: Monchi’s personal perfect XI would include Fredi Kanouté, who made them no money but scored in five finals.

“No one takes a ‘what great economic results’ banner to the stadium,” he says. Of all his signings, Kanouté would be “top three”, Monchi says, alongside Fabiano and Alves, who arrived an unknown 19-year old for around €200,000, having been spotted on one of those first scouting missions, and left for €36m with five titles under his arm. Each time they have sold, they have kept winning; Alves won this competition in 2006 and 2007 before departing. After the 2014 final, Rakitic went to Barcelona; after 2015, Carlos Bacca left for Milan.

The inevitable question is: who goes after 2016? (Kévin Gameiro and Grzegorz Krychowiak are candidates). But also: who comes next? Monchi has replacements ready. “It’s not a trauma any more,” he admits. “Álvaro Negredo leaves and you think it’s the end of the world but along comes Bacca; then he goes and Gameiro proves himself.”

Up the lift where a musak version of Sevilla’s anthem plays and along to his office, Monchi outlines the methodology. Outside, an agent is waiting; one of his players is renewing today. “It’s not easy to con this guy,” he jokes. Inside, Monchi explains: “Sixteen people cover a series of leagues. For the first five months we watch a lot of football but with no particular aim: we’re just accumulating data. Every month we produce an ideal XI for each league. Then in December we start watching players who appeared regularly in different contexts – home, away, international – to build the broadest possible profile.”

Monchi pulls out his phone and, carefully reducing the image so the names can’t be seen, says: “That gives us this.” A colour-coded spreadsheet shows players by position. Around 250 potential targets, in all positions. “The manager says: ‘I want a left-back who averages 11km a game, runs 800m at full speed, uses both feet.’ And from these, 10 will fit.”

Negotiations come next, where you have to know the market, have an alternative, and be realistic. “The guy selling a Seat Leon will claim it’s a better model,” Monchi says. “Kanouté wasn’t the first option; we were going after Fred, the Brazilian. We wanted [Kevin-Prince] Boateng before Keita. And if a player says: ‘Chelsea want me,’ I say: ‘What are you talking to me for, then?’ But if Swansea or Spurs want you, let’s talk. I sell the city, the club: a serious club that pays as promised, which sounds trivial but isn’t.”

There’s no guarantee, of course. “After a month [Yevhen] Konoplyanka wanted to throw himself off the balcony. I try to really know the player but there are always surprises. Grzegorz Krychowiak, aged 19. You think: ‘What’s a Pole going to be like here?’ But it turns out he’s the most sevillano bloke ever. Arouna Koné was our most expensive signing and scored two in 41; he goes to Levante, a ‘weaker’ team, and scores 17.”

Monchi is quick to share success and admit the role played by fortune: Rakitic’s doubts were swept away on the first night of negotiations when he met his future wife. He talks about mistakes and takes responsibility for failure, calls his managers “victims” of a model that typically sees double-digit ins and outs every summer, and recalls the ones that got away – including “falling in love” with Luis Suárez. He says it is harder than ever, competition stiffer than when he started. But he has been successful. It helps that he never switches off, grinning: “I took my family to Sicily and it just happened that there was a game on.”

He has signed more than 200 players, but not one Briton. Are we really so bad? “No!” Monchi laughs. “You have to persuade a player on many levels – football, life, finance. Competing with English clubs economically was always tough; now it’s almost impossible, although we have bought from there. Iago Aspas and [Steven] N’Zonzi, for example. It’s a good market as English clubs buy a lot of players and only 11 can play; there’s an excess you can look at. We can’t sign Liverpool players: Sturridge, Firmino, Coutinho. But maybe if someone’s not playing regularly somewhere there’s an opportunity.”

A cash-rich import market, England is useful too. Gary Medel, Alberto Moreno, Navas, Reyes and Negredo went to the Premier League, their fees totalling more than £65m. “England’s a good client,” Monchi says. A stupid one, with more money than sense? Monchi says no, but there are differences he discovered when he set up in London for six months to analyse it better.

“There are loads of off-field things in which they beat us easily,” he says. “And on the football side, I saw very good work being done. But there’s a disconnect between that work and the advantage they glean from it. I know English clubs that are very professional, scouts everywhere, but the information they gather isn’t always applied. Why? Because they have money. That enables them to take fewer risks: ‘I’m not going to discover Keita at Lens; let Sevilla do that and then buy Keita from Sevilla.’”

And so Keita goes to Sevilla first, then moves on, which is good for everyone. But first: football. “Winning has given us sporting glory and that has a knock-on effect economically,” Monchi says. “We’ve created an environment conducive to players succeeding and improving. I went down to the dressing room after the semi-final and Adil Rami, who’s been at Lille, Valencia and Milan, hugged me and said: ‘I don’t know what it is about this club but I’ve never played a final in my life before and in one year I’m playing three.’”[/article]

We've all often said it would be interesting if we just pretended we were a second-tier club and acted more like Seville or Southampton in terms of transfer strategy, so we do more business like them.

We done it a few times with the likes of Suarez, Can, Skrtel and Coutinho.
But all too often we watch as a player emerges at another club, and we then pay top end fees for big disappointments.

But then we can't hide the fact we are Liverpool, and have lots of money

We've all often said it would be interesting if we just pretended we were a second-tier club and acted more like Seville or Southampton in terms of transfer strategy, so we do more business like them.

We done it a few times with the likes of Suarez, Can, Skrtel and Coutinho.
But all too often we watch as a player emerges at another club, and we then pay top end fees for big disappointments.

But then we can't hide the fact we are Liverpool, and have lots of money

I often wonder if some of our bigger transfer disappointments are really just part of a shrewd money laundering scheme.

Did anyone choke at Christian Poulsen? His credibility took a slight dive for me just on that name.

Did anyone choke at Christian Poulsen? His credibility took a slight dive for me just on that name.

Poulsen was good for Sevila. We just bought him after the best before date. And played him in a league he wasn't particularly suited for, surrounded by several teammates that were also muck.

Sevilla also got him on a free and sold him for 10m euros.

Great read. Compare and contrast to our jokers.
Yep, but he kinda outlines the problem here. We often look for players that are ready to take us to the next level or improve the team.
Sevilla like other mid level or lower level teams can afford to take risks in the market and also play them, allowing them to develop.
We on the other hand can sign someone like Teixeira and let him rot in the reserves.

Obviously in Sevilla's case they've had tons of success, but look at Newcastle for instance, who've made a knack of signing unknown French players, how many times has it paid off?
In most cases when you sign an average 19 year old, 3 years later he'll still be average.

We're currently in the business of buying the "best of the rest" or "rejects" from top teams. What I mean by "best of the rest" is that we often sign the best players from mid level or lower teams. So we're basically looking for "proven" players or players that we hope can take the next step and become "world class". Something that he highlights in the article.

Our top signings these past few years have been just that.

Best of the rest (Arguably one of the best players in their resp teams): Carroll, Benteke, Downing, Lallana, Firmino, Lovren, Ings

Rejects: Milner (maybe), Sturridge, Balotelli

Not sure which category players like Suarez, Mascherano and Torres fit into.

Last edited:
Yep, but he kinda outlines the problem here. We often look for players that are ready to take us to the next level or improve the team.
Sevilla like other mid level or lower level teams can afford to take risks in the market and also play them, allowing them to develop.
We on other hand can sign someone like Teixeira and let him rot in the reserves.
Obviously in Sevilla's case they've had tons of success, but look at Newcastle for instance who've made a knack of signing unknown French players, how many times has it paid off?
In most cases when you sign an average 19 year old, 3 years later he'll still be average.

We're currently in the business of buying the "best of the rest", or "rejects" from top teams. What I mean by "best of the rest" is that we the best players from mid level or lower teams. So we're basically looking for "proven" players or players that we hope can take the next step and become "world class". Something that he highlights in the article.

Our signings top signings these past few years have been just that.

Best of the rest (Arguably one of the best players in their resp teams): Carroll, Benteke, Downing, Lallana, Firmino, Lovren, Ings

Not sure which category players like Suarez and Mascherano, Torres fit into.

Touche. I suppose our strategy is born of the fact that we actually demand to (attempt to) compete for league titles while not really playing at the very top end of the transfer market.

The problem is that for years we have squandered both mid and upper range fees on muck. When you add up the aggregate fees we've spent, we could have afforded a few more real top quality players while bringing through more bargain/junior players. The mid range players we've bought have mostly failed to provide added value over youth.

Touche. I suppose our strategy is born of the fact that we actually demand to (attempt to) compete for league titles while not really playing at the very top end of the transfer market.

The problem is that for years we have squandered both mid and upper range fees on muck. When you add up the aggregate fees we've spent, we could have afforded a few more real top quality players while bringing through more bargain/junior players. The mid range players we've bought have mostly failed to provide added value over youth.

Yep, but at the same time, I don't think anyone of us can understand the enormous pressure there is on LFC players to win titles or cups.
Calling ourselves the most successful team in England while having a 26 year league title drought?
That must really be heavy burden to carry.
When you think about it, it's kind of understandable that some players we sign falter after having great seasons in their previous team.
Some just can't handle it and some players like fucking Suarez tells everyone to fuck off and handles it himself.

We spend a shit load on mid tier quality and often justify that it is the only way as we need to qualify for CL before we can go for bigger players in the transfer market .....that strategy has never worked for us

We spend a shit load on mid tier quality and often justify that it is the only way as we need to qualify for CL before we can go for bigger players in the transfer market .....that strategy has never worked for us
We might as well try and try again because, y'know, it might work out next time round. It's mad if we don't. MAD!

Yep, but at the same time, I don't think anyone of us can understand the enormous pressure there is on LFC players to win titles or cups.
Calling ourselves the most successful team in England while having a 26 year league title drought?
That must really be heavy burden to carry.
When you think about it, it's kind of understandable that some players we sign falter after having great seasons in their previous team.
Some just can't handle it and some players like fucking Suarez tells everyone to fuck off and handles it himself.

That's why I'd prefer to marshall our money for fewer purchases of real top quality. More likely to get players who are winners.

God I miss Suarez. The will as much or more than the skill.

Yeah, this and parts of Modo's post are the answer. Well, the reasons anyway. We're almost trapped by our ambition, demands and status sometimes. Same goes for clubs like Chelsea and their lack of young players breaking through.

Yeah, this and parts of Modo's post are the answer. Well, the reasons anyway. We're almost trapped by our ambition, demands and status sometimes. Same goes for clubs like Chelsea and their lack of young players breaking through.

Without those things, though, we might have done a Leeds by now. Those factors have kept driving the club forward through the leaner times and the avalanche of mistakes made under Moores/Parry and the two cowboys after them.

They currently have ownership in just one player by the looks of it, Reyes.
But they've certainly had an interest in several players in the past.

We on the other hand can sign someone like Teixeira and let him rot in the reserves.

Obviously in Sevilla's case they've had tons of success, but look at Newcastle for instance, who've made a knack of signing unknown French players, how many times has it paid off?

We're currently in the business of buying the "best of the rest" or "rejects" from top teams. What I mean by "best of the rest" is that we often sign the best players from mid level or lower teams. So we're basically looking for "proven" players or players that we hope can take the next step and become "world class". Something that he highlights in the article.

Our signings top signings these past few years have been just that.

Not sure which category players like Suarez, Mascherano and Torres fit into.

We've had about 5 different recruiting strategies in the last 10 years and during Rodgers' reign we even had 2 separate strategies being executed concurrently – I don't think you can combine all of them together in any kind of meaningful way. Except the general principle that you have to focus on finding top-notch football talent as early as possible and be decisive – when we followed that principle, we signed the likes of Torres, Suarez, Xabi, Masher – and more recently Coutinho, Can, Sturridge and Origi. When various managers or owners deviated from this principle for various reasons, we ended up with a load of shite, which was at least as expensive as any of those world-class talents.

Doyen are the bunch that coerced falcao into that silly money move to Monaco aren't they ? I'm sure they've made silly money off his back

We've had about 5 different recruiting strategies in the last 10 years and during Rodgers' reign we even had 2 separate strategies being executed concurrently – I don't think you can combine all of them together in any kind of meaningful way. Except the general principle that you have to focus on finding top-notch football talent as early as possible and be decisive – when we followed that principle, we signed the likes of Torres, Suarez, Xabi, Masher – and more recently Coutinho, Can, Sturridge and Origi. When various managers or owners deviated from this principle for various reasons, we ended up with a load of shite, which was at least as expensive as any of the world-class talents we've signed in recent years.

I suppose the other factor is "buying genuinely top quality players" because you could argue that we were decisive and positive when we signed Markovic, and he was fucking shit.

I suppose the other factor is "buying genuinely top quality players" because you could argue that we were decisive and positive when we signed Markovic, and he was fucking shit.

Isn't that what I wrote? Identify top-notch talent (no matter where they come from) and be decisive. Don't let other factors cloud your judgement.

Its to early to say anything re Markovic anyway. Just as it was to early with Firmino and to early for Origi. Thats the factor thats wrong and has to be changed. For some at least.

It might not work out with Markovic and we paid to much but that 1 year during Rodgers reign isnt enough to judge a player like that.

Yeah, but what factor clouded our judgement over Markovic?

Suarez money burning a hole in our pocket and probably an aggressive agent. Markovic is a talented player, no doubt, and might still make it, but there was no need for us to overpay at that moment just because he was owned by 3 different parties, each of whom demanded a substantial payment. There are many other talented players and both Coutinho and Sturridge cost a lot less, despite being objectively a lot more first-team ready (Markovic was not even a regular starter for Benfica). Somebody on our side lost patience and their wits.

Last edited:
How does our transfer policy work with Klopp at the helm? Before we had Rogers and Transfer Committee and they would often be at loggerheads. Now does Klopp tell Ayre what he wants and Ayre tells him if the player is within remit, and Ayre gets him?
Suppose we get someone Ramón Rodríguez Verdejo or Michael Zorc calibre, to work alongside (not above Klopp) would that work or will create a power struggle once again?

Suarez money burning a hole in our pocket and probably an aggressive agent. Markovic is a talented player, no doubt, and might still make it, but there was no need for us to overpay at that moment just because he was owned by 3 different parties, each of whom demanded a substantial payment. There are many other talented players and both Coutinho and Sturridge cost a lot less, despite being objectively a lot more first-team ready (Markovic was not even a regular starter for Benfica). Somebody on our side lost patience and their wits.

Could have been Chelseas involvement. They were interested and had 6 months earlier beaten us and Spurs to Willian I think.

Could have been Chelseas involvement. They were interested and had 6 months earlier beaten us and Spurs to Willian I think.

No, they turned down the opportunity to buy him for 12.5m.

It was a bad deal for a player who has done fuck all anywhere for the past few seasons. No amount of making shit up changes that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom