• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The New Sporting Director

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebell

Well-Known
If last season hasn't taught us how much a Sporting Director is required this season surely has. We need someone with a vision and a plan. Someone who is ruthless enough to sell players before their contracts ends, tackle the huge wage bill (if that's possible), work to a template of keeping the average age below 27, get rid of players that clearly don't have the potential to make it eg Harvey, Morton, Adrian etc...
We need someone who will convince the owners to speculate on youngsters that have high ceilings, so they either make it LFC or we sell them for huge profit,
Which person fits that bill? The obvious choices are Benfica's SD or Zorch from Dortmund.

The strange thing about the Sporting Director role is there are so few candidates you can look to that have proven themselves at multiple clubs. I would hope that the drop-off last season would make Klopp hand over some responsibility in managing exits and sales. Typically he's always been one to accept the guidance and support of others, but it's clear his role has grown further since Edwards has left, and giving up power can be difficult. It will depend on how much FSG want to challenge Klopp on the drop-off last season and how much they just want to keep him happy until he leaves or a sale goes through. Given the ownership's apathy since the title win then I suspect they'll look for another Edwards type who will not have the authority to overrule Klopp. Given the extensive clearout this year, that may be okay.

If last season hasn't taught us how much a Sporting Director is required this season surely has. We need someone with a vision and a plan. Someone who is ruthless enough to sell players before their contracts ends, tackle the huge wage bill (if that's possible), work to a template of keeping the average age below 27, get rid of players that clearly don't have the potential to make it eg Harvey, Morton, Adrian etc...
We need someone who will convince the owners to speculate on youngsters that have high ceilings, so they either make it LFC or we sell them for huge profit,
Which person fits that bill? The obvious choices are Benfica's SD or Zorch from Dortmund.

The owners already let us speculate on youngsters which we can sell for huge profit and reinvest in the team if we so desire.

What they won’t do, is give us money out of their own pockets to do it, but equally they’re not going to take a big chuck of transfer profit out and pocket it or spend it on baseball players if we do.

It might not be great and you’re right about needing a better strategy - but a lot of that means taking a step back from challenging in the way we’ve challenged in the last few seasons.

There’s an argument that we’re actually doing quite well - last season excepted - we’ve added Diaz, Nunez, Gakpo, Mac A & Slobbers in the last year and a half while replacing Firmino, Mane, Fabs, Hendo - that’s not bad - we’re not a massive distance from where we need to be.

I do take issue with suggesting Harvey, particularly and Morton aren’t going to make it.

I don’t get the Harvey hate. Morton maybe not so much - but you have to play them to develop them - that’s why we end up paying fuck loads for top quality 23 YO players - because some team has taken the hit and played them to develop them.

You can’t wang on about young players and then not play them.

We’re a couple of players short and we do need a more coherent strategy - but we’re not absolutely fucked.

The strange thing about the Sporting Director role is there are so few candidates you can look to that have proven themselves at multiple clubs. I would hope that the drop-off last season would make Klopp hand over some responsibility in managing exits and sales. Typically he's always been one to accept the guidance and support of others, but it's clear his role has grown further since Edwards has left, and giving up power can be difficult. It will depend on how much FSG want to challenge Klopp on the drop-off last season and how much they just want to keep him happy until he leaves or a sale goes through. Given the ownership's apathy since the title win then I suspect they'll look for another Edwards type who will not have the authority to overrule Klopp. Given the extensive clearout this year, that may be okay.
After this season, Klopp will be here for another two. The SD has to think beyond Klopp

The owners already let us speculate on youngsters which we can sell for huge profit and reinvest in the team if we so desire.

What they won’t do, is give us money out of their own pockets to do it, but equally they’re not going to take a big chuck of transfer profit out and pocket it or spend it on baseball players if we do.

It might not be great and you’re right about needing a better strategy - but a lot of that means taking a step back from challenging in the way we’ve challenged in the last few seasons.

There’s an argument that we’re actually doing quite well - last season excepted - we’ve added Diaz, Nunez, Gakpo, Mac A & Slobbers in the last year and a half while replacing Firmino, Mane, Fabs, Hendo - that’s not bad - we’re not a massive distance from where we need to be.

I do take issue with suggesting Harvey, particularly and Morton aren’t going to make it.

I don’t get the Harvey hate. Morton maybe not so much - but you have to play them to develop them - that’s why we end up paying fuck loads for top quality 23 YO players - because some team has taken the hit and played them to develop them.

You can’t wang on about young players and then not play them.

We’re a couple of players short and we do need a more coherent strategy - but we’re not absolutely fucked.

No hate towards Harvey, I love his team spirit and 100% commitment, its physically he falls short, and as I've said in the past he feels like a square peg in a round hole.

I have no issues with a self sustaining model, but as @Beamrider points out, they've prioritised debt repayment over team investment. A sell-to-buy model requires you to sell to buy, and they've failed here too. When wages and bonus structure was being formulated, did they take into account they could have the oldest squad (as an average) with the 2nd highest wage bill?

We've all said we're about 4-5 players in total from challenging we just need FSG to deliver on those additions it or we will go backwards... Fans complaining and protesting might force FSG into action so we don't have to wonder if Morton can play as a 6 when we're playing Man City.

No hate towards Harvey, I love his team spirit and 100% commitment, its physically he falls short, and as I've said in the past he feels like a square peg in a round hole.

I have no issues with a self sustaining model, but as @Beamrider points out, they've prioritised debt repayment over team investment. A sell-to-buy model requires you to sell to buy, and they've failed here too. When wages and bonus structure was being formulated, did they take into account they could have the oldest squad (as an average) with the 2nd highest wage bill?

We've all said we're about 4-5 players in total from challenging we just need FSG to deliver on those additions it or we will go backwards... Fans complaining and protesting might force FSG into action so we don't have to wonder if Morton can play as a 6 when we're playing Man City.

Who’s “they”?

FSG aren’t making decisions on who to buy or sell.

Harvey does need to develop a little bit more strength so he’s not knocked off the ball as easily - but that’s fixable.

Debt repayment means we’ve spent on something and as Beamrider also pointed out, spending on infrastructure over players is an easier thing to justify - infrastructure adds value and increases revenue, while players add costs and takes away from revenue.

It’s a fine line.

Is anyone other than the “loons” saying we need 4-5 players to challenge - it’s more like 1 or 2 - likely only 1 starting player (a DM), then it’s squad depth with a CB being ideal - that’s probably all we need, unless we fuck off some more oldies and go for a complete re-boot.

We’ve signed 2 cracking midfielders, have an assortment of attacking riches, one of the best keepers in the business, an imperious CB and 2 top notch FB’s.

The rest is down to how we set up and how those players execute the game plans.

One of the Sporting Directors we should have hired went to fucking West Ham.

Well, technically we don't need a permanent sporting director if the only signings we do are those with release clauses. Save on 9 month salary. Moneyball!!!!!!

Who’s “they”?

FSG aren’t making decisions on who to buy or sell.
So why did Milner say he was happy knowing Klopp wanted him but the board didn't? Why has Klopp said its not always upto him?

Harvey does need to develop a little bit more strength so he’s not knocked off the ball as easily - but that’s fixable.
Harvey does not look like a marathon runner, he has very broad shoulders, I really can't see him getting any stronger without compromising his agility even more.

Debt repayment means we’ve spent on something and as Beamrider also pointed out, spending on infrastructure over players is an easier thing to justify - infrastructure adds value and increases revenue, while players add costs and takes away from revenue.

It’s a fine line.
Infrastructure doesn't get you CL place. We missed out on CL place, and the monetary rewards that come with it. @Beamrider said they were in hurry to get rid of this debt.
Is anyone other than the “loons” saying we need 4-5 players to challenge - it’s more like 1 or 2 - likely only 1 starting player (a DM), then it’s squad depth with a CB being ideal - that’s probably all we need, unless we fuck off some more oldies and go for a complete re-boot.

We’ve signed 2 cracking midfielders, have an assortment of attacking riches, one of the best keepers in the business, an imperious CB and 2 top notch FB’s.
We have 2 players. we need 2-3 more. 1 CDM 1CM and 1CB or 1 CDM 1CB and 1RB but definitely a CDM and CB. Its just you and @tombrown who happy to field the kids and watch the carnage that ensues. You had an exchange with @mark1975 who articulated clearly what positions we need reinforcement in.

The rest is down to how we set up and how those players execute the game plans.

Well, technically we don't need a permanent sporting director if the only signings we do are those with release clauses. Save on 9 month salary. Moneyball!!!!!!
I know your comment is tongue in cheek... After this season, we'll have Klopp for two more seasons. Then the guy who makes gourmet cuisine with McDonalds menu will be gone. We need someone who can put a blue print in for success. These clowns FSG won't!

I know your comment is tongue in cheek... After this season, we'll have Klopp for two more seasons. Then the guy who makes gourmet cuisine with McDonalds menu will be gone. We need someone who can put a blue print in for success. These clowns FSG won't!

100%

I think this is from The Athletic's article today:

F2sKzMSXwAI6-qw

I hope he at least has access to the mentioned forum :p:

Last edited:
So has Stevie been forced to join the "Loons"?

No you muppet - I’m enforcing strict copyright acknowledgments on the use of my work.

Mr Brown has just saved himself from me engaging Dantes to sue his ass over infringement.

No-one has the will to live through a cross examination from Dantes!!!

No you muppet - I’m enforcing strict copyright acknowledgments on the use of my work.

Mr Brown has just saved himself from me engaging Dantes to sue his ass over infringement.

No-one has the will to live through a cross examination from Dantes!!!
You're welcome to join us any time, you've more than exceeded the necessary requirements.
Your mate @dantes is doing probono work for Trump, doubt he has got time for you

We don’t “need” all those players.

We definitely need a DM - that’s the one glaringly obvious starting position we are short of - and the only one.

A CB would be nice given 3 of our 4 senior CB’s have a history of breaking down. That would be next on the list of priorities.

Getting in those 2 would be great.

We don’t “need” a RB - just play Bradley in the event Trent gets injured - we know Trent is going to play if fit - Gomez can play there, Bradley’s champing at the bit to play and Ramsey will be back next season.

incidentally… has Phillips left yet or is he going to be in the mix for next season?

In midfield that would leave Mac A, Slobbers, Curtis, Harvey, Badgertits and, in theory, Thiago - if need be Gakpo as we well stocked up front. I have no problem throwing Clark into the mix as well. That’s not bad, all things considered.

Look we’re splitting hairs here over 1 player - if you’re including Mac A & Slobbers in your 4 or 5 then I agree, another 2 would be great - 3 would represent an excellent window. I initially took it to be 4 or 5 on top of Mac A & Slobbers.

What’s the point of having a youth system if every time you need cover or a position filled, you turn to the transfer market - I’m not saying sell everyone over 26 and play the U21’s in every game.

I’ve said before, Harvey, Badgertits, Clark, Bradley and Doak all look capable of developing into good players - why would you not bring them through and give them games?

You’d expect Curtis to step up and start regularly in rotation with Mac A, Slobbers and a new DM - we already know Badgertits can play in any of those positions and Harvey is a good option too - what’s the issue with having Clark in there too?

You're welcome to join us any time, you've more than exceeded the necessary requirements.
Your mate @dantes is doing probono work for Trump, doubt he has got time for you

Smashing - I’ll keep it in mind.

We don’t “need” all those players.

We definitely need a DM - that’s the one glaringly obvious starting position we are short of - and the only one.

A CB would be nice given 3 of our 4 senior CB’s have a history of breaking down. That would be next on the list of priorities.

Getting in those 2 would be great.

We don’t “need” a RB - just play Bradley in the event Trent gets injured - we know Trent is going to play if fit - Gomez can play there, Bradley’s champing at the bit to play and Ramsey will be back next season.

incidentally… has Phillips left yet or is he going to be in the mix for next season?

In midfield that would leave Mac A, Slobbers, Curtis, Harvey, Badgertits and, in theory, Thiago - if need be Gakpo as we well stocked up front. I have no problem throwing Clark into the mix as well. That’s not bad, all things considered.

Look we’re splitting hairs here over 1 player - if you’re including Mac A & Slobbers in your 4 or 5 then I agree, another 2 would be great - 3 would represent an excellent window. I initially took it to be 4 or 5 on top of Mac A & Slobbers.

What’s the point of having a youth system if every time you need cover or a position filled, you turn to the transfer market - I’m not saying sell everyone over 26 and play the U21’s in every game.

I’ve said before, Harvey, Badgertits, Clark, Bradley and Doak all look capable of developing into good players - why would you not bring them through and give them games?

You’d expect Curtis to step up and start regularly in rotation with Mac A, Slobbers and a new DM - we already know Badgertits can play in any of those positions and Harvey is a good option too - what’s the issue with having Clark in there too?

Do you think we could mount a title challenge with 3 new MFs as the only addition? It sounds to me like you'd be okay with us finishing 6th.
CJ's fitness needs to be managed so cannot play every game. Thiago as we all know is an ear infection away from being sidelined for 4 months. Lets say we have CJ and Thiago out, where and how do you play Harvey?
If they get say Lavia (Fabs replacement and Andre, a Gini replacement) then we have a balanced MF.
Now the defence. Nats is likely off for about £10m to Leeds. Konate will be injured. If Gomez moves to CB, do you really trust Trent and Gomez not to be over run by opposition players? I trust Qunsah over Gomez but Klopp doesn't

Do you think we could mount a title challenge with 3 new MFs as the only addition? It sounds to me like you'd be okay with us finishing 6th.
CJ's fitness needs to be managed so cannot play every game. Thiago as we all know is an ear infection away from being sidelined for 4 months. Lets say we have CJ and Thiago out, where and how do you play Harvey?
If they get say Lavia (Fabs replacement and Andre, a Gini replacement) then we have a balanced MF.
Now the defence. Nats is likely off for about £10m to Leeds. Konate will be injured. If Gomez moves to CB, do you really trust Trent and Gomez not to be over run by opposition players? I trust Qunsah over Gomez but Klopp doesn't

Do you mean - could we challenge for the title with a solid new DM, Mac A, Slobbers, Curtis & Harvey playing.

Yes - I think we could.

Harvey plays in the position he’s pretty much played every game in - Attacking right mid - where he’ll deputise for Mac A or Slobbers - which isn’t impacted much by an injury to Jones and/or Thiago.

Would a second midfielder be nice - yes, but does our season hinge on it - no.

I’ll say it again, yes a CB would be the next priority - I don’t trust Konate, Gomez & Matip to be fit the entire season or amazing each match. Phillips is likely off - but he’s not yet and a new CB is something that can be integrated over the next season rather than dropped straight in.

If Phillips doesn’t end up going to Leeds, then we’ll likely take our time bringing in a CB.

Not ideal, but they’re likely to start their life on the bench anyway.

I don’t know where Quansah sits in the greater scheme of things, to be honest - he’s not going to be challenged Virgil - nor likely is anyone else we bring in.

Some people on here, this time of the year, just get into a death spiral about always “needing” another 2 or 3 players despite who or how many we sign, while simultaneously banging on about signing young players, but not actually wanting to see the young players in the team.

I get it - I’ve bought more wine than I’ll likely be ever able to drink - and yet I keep wanting to buy more.

I’m just looking forward to watching Mac A & Slobbers every week - that team has the personnel to finish in the top 4 and win the Europa League - for me it’s now a systemic issue about how we set up and function.

I don’t think there’s anything particularly controversial or unhinged about that.

Do you mean - could we challenge for the title with a solid new DM, Mac A, Slobbers, Curtis & Harvey playing.

Yes - I think we could.

Harvey plays in the position he’s pretty much played every game in - Attacking right mid - where he’ll deputise for Mac A or Slobbers - which isn’t impacted much by an injury to Jones and/or Thiago.

Would a second midfielder be nice - yes, but does our season hinge on it - no.

I’ll say it again, yes a CB would be the next priority - I don’t trust Konate, Gomez & Matip to be fit the entire season or amazing each match. Phillips is likely off - but he’s not yet and a new CB is something that can be integrated over the next season rather than dropped straight in.

If Phillips doesn’t end up going to Leeds, then we’ll likely take our time bringing in a CB.

Not ideal, but they’re likely to start their life on the bench anyway.

I don’t know where Quansah sits in the greater scheme of things, to be honest - he’s not going to be challenged Virgil - nor likely is anyone else we bring in.

Some people on here, this time of the year, just get into a death spiral about always “needing” another 2 or 3 players despite who or how many we sign, while simultaneously banging on about signing young players, but not actually wanting to see the young players in the team.

I get it - I’ve bought more wine than I’ll likely be ever able to drink - and yet I keep wanting to buy more.

I’m just looking forward to watching Mac A & Slobbers every week - that team has the personnel to finish in the top 4 and win the Europa League - for me it’s now a systemic issue about how we set up and function.

I don’t think there’s anything particularly controversial or unhinged about that.

Last season from the very beginning the team felt “rotten” - there were so many problems in so many areas that any one specific solution would not have made a major difference. The attack was disjointed by trying to integrate Darwin and missing the forward thrust of Mane (and Diaz when he got injured), the press not working, Trent in awful form, Robbo declining, Virgil not adjusting his game to loss of pace and agility - and this all before we even mentioned the midfield.

I really feel we have many good ingredients for a better season this time - the attack looks potentially exciting, Trent will be used more effectively, Darwin hopefully will settle, Gakpo and Szobo are boss, Virge looks better judging by the pre-season, Curtis and Harvey are now a year older and wiser etc. There is definitely something to build upon and I think even in the worst case scenario with no further signings the floor of this team will not be nearly as low as last season - it will just limit the potential of this team to achieve more if Klopp has to juggle players between positions, stick Jones or Macca at #6 and make everyone play more conservatively to protect them etc. A new DM(s) and LCB or RB would allow us to play with more freedom, keep more players in their natural positions and to avoid losing momentum in crucial moments of the season.

Last edited:
Last season from the very beginning the team felt “rotten” - there were so many problems in so many areas that any one specific solution would not have made a major difference. The attack was disjointed by trying to integrate Darwin and missing the forward thrust of Mane (and Diaz when he got injured), the press not working, Trent in awful form, Robbo declining, Virgil not adjusting his game to loss of pace and agility - and this all before we even mentioned the midfield.

I really feel we have many good ingredients for a better season this time - the attack looks potentially exciting, Trent will be used more effectively, Darwin hopefully will settle, Gakpo and Szobo are boss, Virge looks better judging by the pre-season, Curtis and Harvey are now a year older and wiser etc. There is definitely something to build upon and I think even in the worst case scenario with no further signings the floor of this team will not be nearly as low as last season - it will just limit the potential of this team to achieve even more if Klopp has to juggle players between positions, stick Jones or Macca at #6 and make everyone play more conservatively to protect them etc. A new DM(s) and LCB or RB would allow us to play with more freedom and to avoid losing momentum in crucial moments of the season.

I agree with all of that other than the RB bit.

Give Bradley a go at RB - stuff bringing in anyone else.

I am absolutely biased & blinkered on this.

I agree with all of that other than the RB bit.

Give Bradley a go at RB - stuff bringing in anyone else.

I am absolutely biased & blinkered on this.

I actually meant RB/RCB who could replace Matip or Gomez and also ideally play as a defensive RB when needed a la Kounde or Ben White. I like Bradley too, but he’s a different profile.

I actually meant RB/RCB who could replace Matip or Gomez and also ideally play as a defensive RB when needed a la Kounde or Ben White. I like Bradley too, but he’s a different profile.

Yeah - that works.

Would you prefer someone who can play RCB/RB over someone who could play LCB/LB?

Or someone who could play either CB positions, but not FB?

Yeah - that works.

Would you prefer someone who can play RCB/RB over someone who could play LCB/LB?

Or someone who could play either CB positions, but not FB?

I don’t know to be honest - I think it’s more important to sign the best talent you can afford and worry about fitting them in later. All things equal LCB is probably a slightly bigger priority, but I’d take a good RCB or RB too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom