• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Donkey

To be fair to the excruciating fuckpipe he simply deleted his associations with LFC after missing yet another sitter, and I've only gone and assumed that the bullshit his weirdo fanboys have been coming out with has some basis in fact. Silly me again.
LoL, you really despise him dont you ?

Jorge Mendes has offered Darwin Nunez to FC Barcelona if Lewandowski leaves. [
@sport
]
He'd probably go there and be amazing. I think we're stupid if we don't give him a chance under the new manager. There are plenty of players in the side who haven't been used correctly under Klopp (Elliott, Gapko, Gravenberch, Trent). Maybe he lacks the intelligence to be a top player, but he has the raw physical attributes to do it. A different manager might be able to harness that. Look at Havertz at Arsenal. he's been a much better player for them this season than he was for Chelsea. Chelsea didn't know how to use him, Arsenal accepted his low goal return but made him fundamental to how they play, much like Bobby was for us. I know that's a different breed of player, with incredible footballing intelligence, but there's a player in Nunez and a different manager might bring out a different confidence.

He'd probably go there and be amazing. I think we're stupid if we don't give him a chance under the new manager. There are plenty of players in the side who haven't been used correctly under Klopp (Elliott, Gapko, Gravenberch, Trent). Maybe he lacks the intelligence to be a top player, but he has the raw physical attributes to do it. A different manager might be able to harness that. Look at Havertz at Arsenal. he's been a much better player for them this season than he was for Chelsea. Chelsea didn't know how to use him, Arsenal accepted his low goal return but made him fundamental to how they play, much like Bobby was for us. I know that's a different breed of player, with incredible footballing intelligence, but there's a player in Nunez and a different manager might bring out a different confidence.
You can add KDB and Mo Salah to that list at Chelsea. It was kinder what I was saying about Diego Forlan for Man Utd and Iago Aspas under Brendan Rodgers..
Sometimes you just do not see the best of a player under a certain managers system, but it does not mean that the player is poor

One of the criticism I had of Nunez when he joined was that he was too emotional and reacting to the noise. Strikers need to be ice cold and have a bullet proof mentality. Fowler, Suarez, Torres walked on the Anfield pitch like they owned it. He doesn't posses that mentality.

Zero chance he is going to be amazing at Barcelona when he could not perform here. If he thought there is pressure at LFC, the Barca crowd are going to be ruthless. They are used to Messi, Eto, Romario, Maradona, Suarez. The first time he misplaces a pass or misses a one on one, the boos are going to start at Nou Camp.

Nunez has received a lot of support within Anfield during the game. He has received criticism only in social media. Outside of one article by Bascombe or Joyce, the media has been gentle on him. It is going to be a completely different animal in Barcelona.

I said it before: the best chance for Nunez to be successful is to play for a team using a 2 striker system, like Simeone’s Atletico or Inzaghi’s Inter. Darwin cannot be the spearhead of a structured team that works hard on creating chances for him and counts on him to convert - this requires a forward with Kane’s personality, not Darwin’s. He needs to play alongside a killer forward to stretch the play and create chances for him, he needs more freedom and less responsibility. He would be deadly next to Lautaro in Italy or next to Griezmann in Madrid. He doesn’t fit into 4-3-3.

Last edited:
Here's what I don't understand, how are we using him wrongly if he keeps getting chance after chance?
Aren't we giving him enough chances?
Would wearing a different shirt while being one on one with the keeper help him make a better decision?

I think wherever he goes he'll be the average striker he is, it's just that they'll appreciate him more for it.

Here's what I don't understand, how are we using him wrongly if he keeps getting chance after chance?
Would wearing a different shirt while being one on one with the keeper help him make a better decision?

I think wherever he goes he'll be the average striker he is, it's just that they'll appreciate him more for it.
Pretty much. Like, if he was on the periphery all the time I'd get on board with the argument of misuse...but he's central and get a lot of chances. He should be on 25+ goals in the league.

I think there is a good chance that when he feels part of a system that suits him, he will gain confidence and his scoring rate might also go up. Don’t underestimate how difficult it is to lead the line alone as a striker at the top level; this used to be a rare thing and now we almost expect every striker to do it, but in truth not many actually can. It’s like a lone #6 - there are only a few players in world football actually capable of being a Rodri, this is why they are so expensive and hard to find.

Imagine you’re Darwin wearing #9 for Liverpool and Jurgen and Pep are in your ear every day about which runs to make, which areas to target, pressing triggers - all that stuff you’re supposed to do as a striker at the top level. When all you want is to run around, kick the ball hard and score an occasional golazo. His brain overloads and he cannot finish simple chances after doing all the hard work to get on the end of one. Someone needs to simplify football for him, but it’s not possible in a lone-striker system for a possession-based team, because the role of a CF in such a team is inherently complex.

Let’s not forget that Benfica was largely a counter-attacking team in his last season and that’s where he thrived.

Last edited:
I think if he feels part of a system that suits him, he will gain confidence and his scoring rate might also go up. Don’t underestimate how difficult it is to lead the line alone as a striker at the top level; this used to be a rare thing and now we almost expect every striker to do it, but in truth not many actually can. It’s like a lone #6 - there are only a few players in world football actually capable of being a Rodri, this is why theyare so hard to find.
Not like before, it's a grassroots level thing nowadays.
I mean look at Danns didn't look that out of place, did he?
The issue with Nunez is probably that he's more used to playing on the wing than being alone upfront. It's the same with Gakpo.
Some have an easier time adjusting ( Jota) some don't.

Danns is a poor example - you can bet the reason Klopp didn’t play him is exactly because he wasn’t ready for all that extra tactical stuff. The problem is in the grand scheme of things, neither is Darwin.

Last edited:
Klopp didn’t play danns because he reverted back to his signings. No matter their form.

Probably one for a post Klopp era thread, but apart from Trent, has he ever brought through a youth player and carried on playing him?

Quansah? Elliott? Jones?
Quansah, played half a season out of necessity. Jones nor Elliott have ever been given an extended run in the side. Even when he was bugging up the kids in February he dropped them all like a lead balloon when the “first teamers” came back on the scene and stank the place out.

Quansah, played half a season out of necessity. Jones nor Elliott have ever been given an extended run in the side. Even when he was bugging up the kids in February he dropped them all like a lead balloon when the “first teamers” came back on the scene and stank the place out.

Nah, Quansah is a regular now. Jones has been as well when fit.

I think it's a weird charge against Klopp that's he didn't bring enough young players through. Yes, what happened in this season's run in was frustrating and in some way still inexplicable, but overall he has proved he is one of the best managers in the game at working with young talents. Not everyone deserves to keep playing at this level and that's normal, but he gave lots of young players a fair chance, look how many made their debuts under him: Doak, Ramsay, Bajcetic, Bradley, Quansah, Morton, Kaide Gordon, Reece Williams, Woodburn, Brannagan the list goes on and on.

I dislike the "oh but look at the debuts" argument. And? Any cunt can give a debut. It's thought faith and development youth players keep playing.

Arguably Trent was lucky clyne was a crock and he managed to get a prolonged run, similar to quansah. Trent just had more talent to back it up.

Necessity rather than faith has given these kids minutes.

I dislike the "oh but look at the debuts" argument. And? Any cunt can give a debut. It's thought faith and development youth players keep playing.

Arguably Trent was lucky clyne was a crock and he managed to get a prolonged run, similar to quansah. Trent just had more talent to back it up.

Absolute tosh, just because he hasn’t played Dann after 2 goals against championship side doesn’t negate the faith Klopp has shown in youth in nearly 10yrs. SCM looking to rewrite history again retrospectively.

Reactions: jan

That will be the case in most top clubs though.

I think it's a weird charge against Klopp that's he didn't bring enough young players through. Yes, what happened in this season's run in was frustrating and in some way still inexplicable, but overall he has proved he is one of the best managers in the game at working with young talents. Not everyone deserves to keep playing at this level and that's normal, but he gave lots of young players a fair chance, look how many made their debuts under him: Doak, Ramsay, Bajcetic, Bradley, Quansah, Morton, Kaide Gordon, Reece Williams, Woodburn, Brannagan the list goes on and on.
It’s a fair challenge. How many of those listed made a consistent run of appearances for the club? Badger (12 appearances) and Quansah (15 appearances). Both of them took their chances due to injuries. Neither seemed to have a clear defined path into the first team. Chances came and they took it.

After those two it has been a case of an appearance here and another there for the rest of the list. We’ve seen it to an extreme level this season. Kids come in, know the system, know the patterns, do a job and then dropped because players who are selected based on fees and wages rather than merit.

Bringing it back to Danns and Nunez, we could see Darwin is struggling. Yet continues to get game time. Even against Everton Klopp persisted with him despite Danns being on the bench. Then Klopp comes out with the “they would’ve killed him comment” which won’t do the kid any favours about believing he can compete at this level.

It’s a fair challenge. How many of those listed made a consistent run of appearances for the club? Badger (12 appearances) and Quansah (15 appearances). Both of them took their chances due to injuries. Neither seemed to have a clear defined path into the first team. Chances came and they took it.

After those two it has been a case of an appearance here and another there for the rest of the list. We’ve seen it to an extreme level this season. Kids come in, know the system, know the patterns, do a job and then dropped because players who are selected based on fees and wages rather than merit.

Bringing it back to Danns and Nunez, we could see Darwin is struggling. Yet continues to get game time. Even against Everton Klopp persisted with him despite Danns being on the bench. Then Klopp comes out with the “they would’ve killed him comment” which won’t do the kid any favours about believing he can compete at this level.

I think Klopp has proven over the years that he knows when and which kids are ready to contribute.

Absolute tosh, just because he hasn’t played Dann after 2 goals against championship side doesn’t negate the faith Klopp has shown in youth in nearly 10yrs. SCM looking to rewrite history again retrospectively.
Thus argument is so dumb anyway. As if any top teams/managers ever played loads of academy kids consistently

Back
Top Bottom