• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Taking a knee is degrading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you’ll find you’re the one switching analysis methods where we all know you backed the wrong horse and started talking about feelings.

Of which you know nothing about.

Something you’ve openly admitted to.

No, I don't think I will find that because it's just guff you made up to deflect from what you openly demonstrated. When it's about voter fraud, you signal your virtue by denying its existence on the basis of no evidence. When it's about racism, you signal your virtue by assuming its existence on the basis of no evidence. It's all about that virtue signal. In both instances your brain is switched off, and your feelings are on full display. Eventually you'll realise that it's a problem, then you'll need people like me to solve that problem, and the people like me will tell you to go fuck yourself.

I have a middle of the road solution.

It should be OPTIONAL to give your identity to a social media company. And if you do, you should get a "green tick" by your account name.

Then anyone (including footballers and celebs) should have the option of specifying whether they allow ONLY green ticked accounts to message them or post on their walls.

Or whether they all EVERYONE (green tick or no green tick) to message them.

If someone has only "Green ticks can message me" selected, then you wouldn't be able to racially abuse them without having your details passed on to police.

You can also stop the situation of a green ticked account being hacked but having 2FA. Mind you, it'd be weird if someone went to that length (to hack an account) just to send Marcus Rashford some racist abuse.

Yeah that'd work. It's not like I'd ever use social media to try to talk to famous people anyway.

When the govt start talking about this the most vociferous people against in are amnesty international, as people are often tweeting using vpns from within or about Draconian regimes. You can't just turn that off that capability, but your suggestion seems fair enough

I have a middle of the road solution.

It should be OPTIONAL to give your identity to a social media company. And if you do, you should get a "green tick" by your account name.

Then anyone (including footballers and celebs) should have the option of specifying whether they allow ONLY green ticked accounts to message them or post on their walls.

Or whether they all EVERYONE (green tick or no green tick) to message them.

If someone has only "Green ticks can message me" selected, then you wouldn't be able to racially abuse them without having your details passed on to police.

You can also stop the situation of a green ticked account being hacked but having 2FA. Mind you, it'd be weird if someone went to that length (to hack an account) just to send Marcus Rashford some racist abuse.

I think that will work and I believe FB and few other mainstream social media sites already ask for identity proof if they suspect fraud and have done so for a few years.

Unfortunately it comes at a price of privacy and loss of anonymity but the way it’s heading now, it’s unavoidable for verified identities.

Yeah that'd work. It's not like I'd ever use social media to try to talk to famous people anyway.

When the govt start talking about this the most vociferous people against in are amnesty international, as people are often tweeting using vpns from within or about Draconian regimes. You can't just turn that off that capability, but your suggestion seems fair enough
Yeah.

It's not just famous people too. Someone like me or you should have the option of allowing Green ticked accounts to message us. That's if we want people who message us to be accountable for their words.

Those who wish to be abusive or even if it's just saying something very controversial, should have their anonymity protected, but then they may not have the ability to send that celeb, footballer or person their opinion directly. It'll just be in a vacuum, posted on their own wall, on their own account.

Thus you still have free speech (abusive messages and all), but you just won't necessarily have targeted abuse. The celebs, footballers, or average man, can live in their protective bubble without feeling harassed or threatened. Everyone wins (kind of).

But then you are denying refugees from draconian regimes the right to abuse premier league players ...

But then you are denying refugees from draconian regimes the right to abuse premier league players ...
Lmao.

If you don't have a Govt ID, I'm not sure what you're doing posting on Twitter. You have bigger problems in life than abusing PL players.

But nonetheless, for someone like Fabinho, the social media company should allow an option to whitelist countries or regions or individual accounts.

I think it would have been a stronger statement if they only did it once. Like at this moment the entire footballing community in England stood with Black lives matter.
Just got watered down after that imo.

Its lost its impact as it is just part of the standard routine now and is not seen as a statement, even if it is intended as one, especially as it has done little to change the ingrained racism embodied in the FA, PL, government etc.

What is more noticeable now is the inverse, when the privileged elite (aka Ruby Union tossers) refuse to do it.

However, that then demonstrates that stopping the practice at football could be interpreted negatively, so I don't think ending it now would be advisable unless it was backed up with some alternative and harder hitting action and statement.

Its lost its impact as it is just part of the standard routine now and is not seen as a statement, even if it is intended as one, especially as it has done little to change the ingrained racism embodied in the FA, PL, government etc.

What is more noticeable now is the inverse, when the privileged elite (aka Ruby Union tossers) refuse to do it.

However, that then demonstrates that stopping the practice at football could be interpreted negatively, so I don't think ending it now would be advisable unless it was backed up with some alternative and harder hitting action and statement.

Now stop, and take an objective look at what you've just been thinking about inside your brain and then explained in the post. Nothing there is wrong, but just look at the issues and complexities you're trying to work out. They're completely stupid things that have nothing to do with racism. Now imagine how that same degenerate thinking about meaningless crap is what is going on in the brains of all the different people involved in the issue.

Black people want racism solved. White people have invented this whole stupid thing to convey that message. Now white people are busy debating the ins and outs of the messaging, if they're conveying it right, if the impact is what was intended, this that and the other. Like, come on, nobody asked for the fucking message, they asked for a solution, what the fuck is everyone doing focussing on messaging like a bunch of marketing interns? It's just baffling. Then you criticise me when I refer to you all as my intellectually inferior insects. Is it any wonder, because it's what you are.

Have to say @dantes is right on the money. Minus the insults of course and I'm not sure about "white people inventing the thing".
However, the message has been delivered, knees has been taken, now what?

No, I don't think I will find that because it's just guff you made up to deflect from what you openly demonstrated. When it's about voter fraud, you signal your virtue by denying its existence on the basis of no evidence. When it's about racism, you signal your virtue by assuming its existence on the basis of no evidence. It's all about that virtue signal. In both instances your brain is switched off, and your feelings are on full display. Eventually you'll realise that it's a problem, then you'll need people like me to solve that problem, and the people like me will tell you to go fuck yourself.

Ah another post showing how your feelings are hurt.

Bless.

And, trust me, if I have a problem to solve. You’re the last person I’ll seek to solve it. Purely because it won’t be solved.

The technology exists.

User selects whether to see tweets from IPs outside home country

Home country requires ID to post.

It would cost money on the social media's part, which is why its pushed back.. then you'd get the 'they are spying on us' arguments.

Then a country would debate whether it should be law, and the social media platform will block users in that country trying to provoke outrage.

I feel like I've seen this script before...
I love this post - Mainly because it very succinctly sums up what most of us feel is 'The Bleeding Obvious' What is fucking annoying is that no matter how obvious the pattern is - it will still happen as long as the world keeps spinning. Seen the script. Bought it. Sold it. Rewritten it and sold it again. A little later it gets remade again only with a younger cast. Then it gets remade again only with a different director. Then get's boxed up into a special edition 10 yr anniversary. Then 15 yrs. Then 25 yrs with audio commentary of the original cast. Then as we all know the whole meaning of the message is lost and everyone is left scratching their heads going 'what the fuck were they on about again?'

I don't think the concept of privacy should be bulldozed because a few fourteen year old nobheads call footy players bad words. And I don't think giving the same fourteen year old nobheads loads of press is very helpful.

Can we not just get rid of social media and go back to the good old days we’re you had to yell at someone in the street if you wanted to abuse them.

Can we not just get rid of social media and go back to the good old days we’re you had to yell at someone in the street if you wanted to abuse them.
I keep trying to convince anyone who'd listen. Fuck text messages. Get yourself a carrier pigeon. Keep it old school and funny. I tend to get looked at as a moron but in my head I still think it would be funny. What's funnier is when people believe I'm being serious.

I keep trying to convince anyone who'd listen. Fuck text messages. Get yourself a carrier pigeon. Keep it old school and funny. I tend to get looked at as a moron but in my head I still think it would be funny. What's funnier is when people believe I'm being serious.
Ahhh text messages were fun.

Then smart phones happened.

Ahhh text messages were fun.

Then smart phones happened.
Ha! I dunno about you man but I fucking hate the prefix of 'smart' before stuff. 'Smart TV', 'Smart Phone' - Did you know that Watirose sell 'Smart' Water? No shit!

Taking the knee stemmed from Kaepernick doing it during the US anthem as a protest against racial injustice and police brutality in America. Abuse was still tolerated in the football so black players supported by clubs and leagues used the symbol to highlight the issue. I can't see racism dissappearing any day soon but all forms of protests have their shelflife and the issue still remains. The clubs/leagues will have to find a new way of delivering the message but I dont see the protest as degrading.

Yeah that upset people, which is the only mildly beneficial effect of protesting about anything. A black player disrespecting the anthem gets peoples attention and in a fairy tale land it might conceivably make those people want to do something about it, so that the black player no longer has to disrespect the anthem which they find distasteful and uncomfortable. When you have all players take a knee, at a predetermined approved time, it merely motivates people to go grab a beer from the fridge before the game kicks off. Refusing to play for the first 5 minutes of the game would be more effective. Just stand there stationary, it'd also be funny as hell. That's a protest, it would still be useless like all other protests, but at least the effort would be there to do something. What you see now is a bunch of snowflakes virtue signalling, and that's it.

Taking the knee stemmed from Kaepernick doing it during the US anthem as a protest against racial injustice and police brutality in America. Abuse was still tolerated in the football so black players supported by clubs and leagues used the symbol to highlight the issue. I can't see racism dissappearing any day soon but all forms of protests have their shelflife and the issue still remains. The clubs/leagues will have to find a new way of delivering the message but I dont see the protest as degrading.

The difference is that the NFL reviewed their own situation to see how they could improve diversity at different levels in the game. Black head coaches were few and far between despite the majority of players being black for decades.

The NFL has had the Rooney rule for ages - which requires minority coaching candidates be interviewed to ensure they're getting an opportunity. They revamped it after the protests began. And now you see more black coaches getting too jobs and succeeding - Brian Flores at the Dolphins being a great example. Robert Saleh will the next one, recently appointed by the Jets.

What have the Premier League done ?

The premier league have shifted the narrative onto tweets sent to famous millionaires so they can blame some irrelevant troll for racism instead of the actual causes. Much easier that way, far more palatable than addressing the lack of economic prosperity, jobs, opportunities, education, or anything else that would actually matter to and help ordinary black people.

Or perhaps I'm just a naysaying negative cunt. I'm sure once Raheem can open up his $5000 gold plated custom iphone and not read racist abuse, the sun will rise on a new day, with a bright warming light that will transmit jobs to poor people. It's possible. Perhaps the world works that way. Or if not, hey, at least we've made Raheem's life more comfortable which is the most important thing.

The premier league have shifted the narrative onto tweets sent to famous millionaires so they can blame some irrelevant troll for racism instead of the actual causes. Much easier that way, far more palatable than addressing the lack of economic prosperity, jobs, opportunities, education, or anything else that would actually matter to and help ordinary black people.

Or perhaps I'm just a naysaying negative cunt. I'm sure once Raheem can open up his $5000 gold plated custom iphone and not read racist abuse, the sun will rise on a new day, with a bright warming light that will transmit jobs to poor people. It's possible. Perhaps the world works that way. Or if not, hey, at least we've made Raheem's life more comfortable which is the most important thing.
Dear Lord, I agree with Dantes, here comes the aneurism.

Isn’t the Raheem hate/ Rashford hate something that’s regularly and deliberately stoked by the S*n, Daily Mail, and other right-wing billionaire-owned mass-media? If you want to effectively confront racism, go after the generals, not the foot soldiers.

Reactions: jan
I don't think the concept of privacy should be bulldozed because a few fourteen year old nobheads call footy players bad words. And I don't think giving the same fourteen year old nobheads loads of press is very helpful.

ah the old 'I was just minding my own business using a global media platform to broadcast my ideas to the widest audience possible so my privacy should be respected' trope

Isn’t the Raheem hate/ Rashford hate something that’s regularly and deliberately stoked by the S*n, Daily Mail, and other right-wing billionaire-owned mass-media? If you want to effectively confront racism, go after the generals, not the foot soldiers.

People did go after them by voting for alternative leaders and choosing to consume alternative media. It led to the highest levels of job creation and economic productivity they'd ever known, but the feels just weren't there to go with it you know, so back to the good old leaders and the same old media we go. It will be different this time, of course it will, you can just feel it in your feels that it will be better.

ah the old 'I was just minding my own business using a global media platform to broadcast my ideas to the widest audience possible so my privacy should be respected' trope

Make the case against please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom