• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevesquash

Very Active
table

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/table

OK so we all know we're 8pts clear but still just look at the table, it's unreal. Just lovely to look at. So there's a long way to go, but that just looks sooo good right now, with Manure right down there really the cherry on the top

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm always surprised to see how much Man Utd drop off as a club in my Fifa Career mode too... oh wait :)

8 games in 8 pts clear thing is of course really important and great but it's also that city have lost 2 and drawn 1 in their 8 games...go ahead smash teams 8/5 0 whatever but when it gets tough they can't handle it. Meanwhile we've lost one game in like 50 odd league games?? That's ridiculous and outrageous.
If This kinda form continues for city then it'll just make it a little easier for us.

Seeing United/Spurs/Everton/Arsenal implode is the icing on the cake.

All that said.. I'm nervous re the world club championship thing, players like Salah/Mane etc were pretty much full on all go through the summer also. So they'll be tired.
I'm sure Klopp and crew will manage.. and it's great stuff ... But I just Wana win the bloody thing

We just need to build a big enough lead that they can’t close it. 8 pts is nothing really.

Are we favourites now? Feels far from over but i'll enjoy the moment

The Laporte injury has been a massive swing. In contrast the Allison injury hadn't cost us a single point. We just have to keep taking advantage whilst they are short at CB and build an intimidating lead.

The best part is City haven't actually has a tough start to the season.

The Laporte injury has been a massive swing. In contrast the Allison injury hadn't cost us a single point. We just have to keep taking advantage whilst they are short at CB and build an intimidating lead.

They missed KDB today just as much

They missed KDB today just as much

Yes they did, but I tell you what - this January I am only going to be interested in one transfer, and that is if Sane goes to Bayern or not. If he does then I tell you what - the title will be ours. Pep undervalues him, but he the one player they have that is a real fucking proper menace by himself, and without the need of his team-mates. Also I don't think it would have mattered if they had Laporte or not against Wolves, Traore would have been faster and stronger than him. Watching the analysis on MOTD2 earlier - it was brilliant by Wolves, they basically nullified those defenders by blocking any passes to them - it was like watching them cut of the oxygen from Pep's usual method of rapid distribution by putting his defenders in the opposition half or near about's - fucking brilliant.

Goes to show how important a world class CB is and i think clearly ratifies why VVD is our single most important player. Alisson (GK position) is probably not even top 3 most important players for us. I'd have Van Dijk, Firmino and Mane/Salah ahead of the GK as far as importance to the team.

As for City, i think the loss of Laporte has hurt them deeply, and more to them than if we lost VVD, because they are not as solid defensively through the spine of the team (gk-cb-dm-cf) as we are. They were always suspect defensively, and when you remove their by-far best CB, it's going to hurt.

Yes they did, but I tell you what - this January I am only going to be interested in one transfer, and that is if Sane goes to Bayern or not. If he does then I tell you what - the title will be ours. Pep undervalues him, but he the one player they have that is a real fucking proper menace by himself, and without the need of his team-mates. Also I don't think it would have mattered if they had Laporte or not against Wolves, Traore would have been faster and stronger than him. Watching the analysis on MOTD2 earlier - it was brilliant by Wolves, they basically nullified those defenders by blocking any passes to them - it was like watching them cut of the oxygen from Pep's usual method of rapid distribution by putting his defenders in the opposition half or near about's - fucking brilliant.

Isn't Sane out for 6+ months? it's a big injury he's returning from, so don't think he's playing this season anyways. Though i do think he leaves in the summer.

Only watched the highlights of today's game against Wolves, but it appears teams have finally grown a set of balls and are attacking City. They are obviously a very offensively intimidating team, but for too long teams just sat in their own box punting the ball up field whenever they got it with zero desire to attack them even though when teams did it (like us) everyone could see they were flawed defensively.

They look more vulnerable at the moment. Laporte has been a big miss.

We’ve had our own issues but luckily have picked up the points anyways. Crucial at this stage.

The big worry is squad depth and the number of games ahead. Hopefully we can do it.

Pointless to label us as favourites at this stage.

This is the same City squad that went on an 18 game winning streak 2 years ago, and a 14 game winning streak last year.

They do anything like that again, and they'll be back in the title race easily enough.

The trouble is that all their players should be back for the second half of the season, and they could easily make a run like that.

We should hope that they really capitulate somehow before January .

Sane is already out for the season, or as near as and be damned. So by this reckoning, we should stick the flags out now?

Pointless to label us as favourites at this stage.

This is the same City squad that went on an 18 game winning streak 2 years ago, and a 14 game winning streak last year.

They do anything like that again, and they'll be back in the title race easily enough.

The trouble is that all their players should be back for the second half of the season, and they could easily make a run like that.

We should hope that they really capitulate somehow before January .
If we take points from them in one of the head to heads it's ours, we are pretty good at going on winning streaks as well.

If we take points from them in one of the head to heads it's ours, we are pretty good at going on winning streaks as well.
Not a chance I'll let myself think like that.

Not gonna name players (for fearing of jinxing), but I can imagine a scenario where just two of our players get injured at the same time for a few weeks & that would lead to some disastrous results & a bad run of form at least mirroring what City are doing now.

Perhaps that's the worst case scenario, but in this game it's easily done.

We know from last season those points can evaporate in no time. More encouraging for me than having this cushion is seeing the fragility of City just now. They looked nervous yesterday, and Wolves could have been a few up by half time. They are made of biscuit at the back. We can't play them soon enough. I'm also encouraged because we definitely haven't clicked ourselves.We're 8 points ahead without playing our scintillating best. We know that there's a lot more to come from our own side, and we hope that sooner rather than later Ox and Keita will be pulling their weight too. So yes, this could still all go wrong, and it is very early days, but so far, so good.

Sane is already out for the season, or as near as and be damned. So by this reckoning, we should stick the flags out now?
No 6 months, so he could be back for 2nd part of the season, unless they sell him to Bayern in Jan, in which case just reserve the victory parade bus doc. But Sane then becomes our Euro problem.

We know from last season those points can evaporate in no time. More encouraging for me than having this cushion is seeing the fragility of City just now. They looked nervous yesterday, and Wolves could have been a few up by half time. They are made of biscuit at the back. We can't play them soon enough. I'm also encouraged because we definitely haven't clicked ourselves.We're 8 points ahead without playing our scintillating best. We know that there's a lot more to come from our own side, and we hope that sooner rather than later Ox and Keita will be pulling their weight too. So yes, this could still all go wrong, and it is very early days, but so far, so good.
The longer Laporte is out the better it is for us. Fernandinho is no CB replacement (and Guardiola saying they won't buy in January is awesome if it's true). I really hope we play them before he's back.

UPDATE : 4th Sept: 'Has undergone [knee] surgery after damaging his cartilage and lateral meniscus. A more detailed prognosis will be provided in due course.' No Return Date given.

There are definite signs of us clicking, especially over the past few games. 30 mins of awesomeness against RBS and again against Leicester yesterday (without the killer touch). We are definitely improving despite our leakiness.

Last edited:
What we missed last season was City getting drawn into a battle for 2nd when we had that lead, to distract their attention. They're 1 point ahead of Arsenal who whilst being a shambles, have Lacazette returning and a long stretch of winnable games. Would love to see them somehow get a couple of points ahead of City and take the heat off.

Depending on the next 3 games, it will be very interesting to see what we do with the club world cup. I wonder whether we send all the kids and potentially if we get to a 'final' we send 2-3 of the bigger guns like Milner, Hendo, Origi etc. to join them. In my mind that is a competition we sacrifice completely to get the first teamers some artificial rest time, given the games will cause some of our games around that time to be scheduled with them in mind..

Let's wait and see how the table and our squad looks like in January.

Depending on the next 3 games, it will be very interesting to see what we do with the club world cup. I wonder whether we send all the kids and potentially if we get to a 'final' we send 2-3 of the bigger guns like Milner, Hendo, Origi etc. to join them. In my mind that is a competition we sacrifice completely to get the first teamers some artificial rest time, given the games will cause some of our games around that time to be scheduled with them in mind..

it will be interesting. It is a competition we never won I beileve so I would love to win it. Also good for the whole club to keep on winning trophies, so such a trophy should not be given away anyway. And I guess in a dark cold December the players would appreciate some sunny days even if they are competitive. With no PL stress on their shoulders it can even give us an energy boost ahead of xmas program if we play it right up to then.

it will be interesting. It is a competition we never won I beileve so I would love to win it. Also good for the whole club to keep on winning trophies, so such a trophy should not be given away anyway. And I guess in a dark cold December the players would appreciate some sunny days even if they are competitive. With no PL stress on their shoulders it can even give us an energy boost ahead of xmas program if we play it right up to then.

I'm only interested in trophies that add to the number on our 'champions wall' unless you think they'll create a new one for this (I don't..)

Isn't there a Winter break this season?

It really should help us if there is and I think it takes away some advantage of City's superior squad.

Hopefully we don't back all sluggish like our mid season trip away last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom